On Purposely Skipping Out on New Chars, and Improving the Game

SamuraiUX
265 posts Member
I wonder what the best way to improve SWGOH is from both the player and business perspective?

From my perspective as a player, I would like EA to stop releasing new characters for like, a YEAR. During that time, I would prefer they carefully fine-tune and re-balance existing factions until we have TRUE diversity in gameplay. Now people will say: "there's great diversity! There are like three or four different characters in the meta right now!" But that's not diversity. Diversity would be if almost any character could exist in the top 50. Balance is when a creative, synergistic team of oddball characters can carry the day. Balance is when - here's my golden dream! - a team of Ewoks isn't stronger than a team of Jedi.

I'm already ready for the EA Defenders to swoop in and tell me I'm whining and "what about GK?" or whatever. This isn't actually an attack on EA. I'm philosophizing here. Let's take their perspective for a minute: the problem with what I want, above, is that there's nothing new for players to spend on, if they don't add new characters for a whole year. But isn't it possible that if we get a Jedi or a Separatist rework, or if they add new CONTENT rather than characters, that people will buy special packs to re-work their roster? I don't know the answer, but it IS an empirical question. It might be that people just won't spend as much unless it's something shiny and new.

Anyway, my resolution to this dilemma is extreme: I'm thinking about purposely skipping the Solo events. Why? I HATE having 3-star characters cluttering up my roster (any of you play Dominion or other deck-building games? I wish I could "trash" useless characters!). The ideal situation would be that none of my characters were trash characters (re-balancing!) or that all of them were able to be built up equally (no holding back on farming!), but maybe if I simply don't buy in, I'll be happier. One day, far in the future, I'll be able to farm New Han and New Chewie, and if I want them then, I can get them. I know this works, because I purposely decided not to farm the Vets (because they are unbalanced and useless), so I don't have JTR. And I'm fine with it. I get to work on what I want to work on instead of what the meta tells me to.

I'm already guessing this kind of philosophizing is TL;DR for everyone, but it felt nice to talk it out. If you actually read this, thanks - I'd love to hear your thoughts on the matter. =)

SamUX

Replies

• leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    You're playing the wrong game my friend.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • TVF
    36600 posts Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I apologize for not reading any further than your request for EA to not release any new characters for an entire year. No reason to read further - this is a very selfish request. If you don't want new characters, great, just ignore them. But nah, you'd rather take them away from me instead? Sorry, no.

(I skimmed the rest and you're giving up 50 shards of each character, which you may end up farming later anyway, so your roster isn't cluttered? Ok.)
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • BubbaFett
    3311 posts Member
    Options
    Collecting is part of.the game..... I have a whole.bunch of lvl1 toons waiting to be geared at the bottom of my roster......

It seems every day someone comes along and wants the game changed to suit the way they want to play it rather than just playing the game as intended....
  • Vampire_X
    1435 posts Moderator
    Options
    Any game, not just this game needs new content and characters not to just stay relevant but alive

We may all agree or disagree or agree to disagree on what makes the game better but a year of stagnation would never be a viable or liked option

This does not account for any media and license agreements and promotions that many players enjoy and expect

I moved this to feedback because even as it can and will not happen , points about why could spark creativity in others about items that can

Thank you for being part of the community
    Wicked Sith Queen with the Pink Saber
  • Options
    I think the best argument about too many new characters was left out - Platoons.

Skipping marquee events will do nothing except for your psyche. and hopefully that you wont have to think back when you skipped YOLO as you are farming him from 0 in 3 months.

Marquee toons are free. Unlock or not that is on you. Everyone plays differently. I personally enjoy the marquees (besides the platoon problem) because it gives me a chance to play around with them with very low stakes and gives me time to see how they do when others get them to 7 and zeta them.
    For example- yolo yewie and vet smugs I think are a great Ls scoundrel leader away from being a fun-high offense team.

TLDR- do what you want. You’re only hurting/helping yourself.
  • Options
    I think it's fine the way it is
  • SamuraiUX
    265 posts Member
    Options
    So, every single one of you clearly got the wrong message out of my post and responded defensively. Let's clarify:

1) "You're playing the wrong game."
    Nope! I love this game! I've been playing since Dec 2015 - one month after it was released. I'm in the top 50 of the arena and our guild is undefeated in TW. I log in multiple times per day and enjoy it very much!

2) "You're selfish! You want to take characters away from me!"
    This has nothing to do with you, buddy. I don't think for a second that EA would actually do this. That's why I called it philosophizing. It's my thoughts on the matter. I personally would love time to build up the 9 bazillion characters I already have. I personally would love true diversity and a rebalancing of off-kilter characters. If you LOVE getting a huge influx of new , 3-star-only characters every month or so, that's fantastic! Tell me why! You know what we call that? ...a "discussion."

3) "It seems every day someone comes along and wants to change the game to suit them instead of playing it as intended."
    This shows a complete lack of understanding of the gaming industry. There is no "way it was intended." That shifts frequently based upon weekly reports of how much time players are spending in-game, on which part of the game, how much they're spending (if at all), where they're spending, what gets people who've NEVER bought to buy their first thing ("conversion"), and player longevity. I know this because I've worked in the mobile gaming industry. If, for some weird reason, everyone in the world agreed with me and didn't play the Solo event, then the game "as intended" would suddenly change drastically. The "intent" would change, because it would be a matter of survival for EA.

I didn't post this so people could get furious at me. I posted it to share my musings with other people who play a game I love, some of whom (I imagined) would understand where I was coming from. <shrug>
  • SamuraiUX
    265 posts Member
    Options
    Vampire_X wrote: »
    Any game, not just this game needs new content and characters not to just stay relevant but alive

We may all agree or disagree or agree to disagree on what makes the game better but a year of stagnation would never be a viable or liked option

This does not account for any media and license agreements and promotions that many players enjoy and expect

I moved this to feedback because even as it can and will not happen , points about why could spark creativity in others about items that can

Thank you for being part of the community

@Vampire_X , I take this as a moderator's polite (and for the record, it was!) way of moving a what's perceived as a non-enthusiastic, non-supportive comment into a corner where no one can see it and be unduly influenced by it. 1) As you can see, no one agrees with me, but 2) I think that's pretty slimy. And it's done all the time. Comments that aren't effusive should still be allowed to exist rather than being pushed as quickly as possible into obscurity. I hate that this happens. It makes me want to post more and more stuff like this, rather than making me feel like I'm allowed to be heard. =/
  • TVF
    36600 posts Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I started writing a long post and then deleted what I had because it's clearly not worth the effort. But I'll be watching to see if you can find a single person to agree with you. Good luck!
    Post edited by TVF on
  • TVF
    36600 posts Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Deleted...issue seems to have been fixed.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    It's an interesting concept, but that is basically what happens to ships and many people complain about how boring it is. The smaller number of ships there and the " double development" needed makes this a little different but I feel would end up in a similar situation.

Do you think people would keep playing if the meta barely changed for a year?

TW strategy would be come stale as there would be no new teams to play with.

Out dated toons would stay out dated unless specifically reworked to make them different. Because new toona can be used to tie together a different band or toons with a light rework with out changing them fundamentally.

I'm just not seeing how this would benefit the game or the dev team.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    SamuraiUX wrote: »
    So, every single one of you clearly got the wrong message out of my post and responded defensively. Let's clarify:

1) "You're playing the wrong game."
    Nope! I love this game! I've been playing since Dec 2015 - one month after it was released. I'm in the top 50 of the arena and our guild is undefeated in TW. I log in multiple times per day and enjoy it very much!

I didn't post this so people could get furious at me. I posted it to share my musings with other people who play a game I love, some of whom (I imagined) would understand where I was coming from. <shrug>

I'm not furious at all, but the suggestion you made is just never going to happen. What you're proposing changes the game in it's core.
    It would also make the game boring imo, but that's besides the point.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • SamuraiUX
    265 posts Member
    Options
    Kyno wrote: »

Out dated toons would stay out dated unless specifically reworked to make them different. Because new toona can be used to tie together a different band or toons with a light rework with out changing them fundamentally.

If you read my post, you'd see that I said what would be best is a meticulous re-work and fine tuning of what we have rather than the addition of new characters, such that we had true and ultimate diversity in play. So the meta would change DRASTICALLY over the year. And TW strategy would change DRASTICALLY because all sorts of new combinations would become interesting and worthwhile that right now aren't. So.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    SamuraiUX wrote: »
    Kyno wrote: »

If you read my post, you'd see that I said what would be best is a meticulous re-work and fine tuning of what we have rather than the addition of new characters, such that we had true and ultimate diversity in play. So the meta would change DRASTICALLY over the year. And TW strategy would change DRASTICALLY because all sorts of new combinations would become interesting and worthwhile that right now aren't. So.

And as you can read in my post that would cause DRASTIC changes to characters, which is not really ideal for the player base as some players may have them and some may not. This could cause swings in game play and drive people away from the game.

A release of a new toon starts everyone at square 1. At the same point in time.
  • Options
    For the record, Ewoks are stronger than Jedi. The murder bears took down the Empire. The Jedi allowed them to gain power. Just sayin'

What I don't understand in this equation is why having a 3 star character in your roster is a problem? If you were OK missing JTR, you still have a blank space for her character... so what's the difference between it being a 3 star activated player versus an inactive player?

I hear you on picking and choosing where you invest time and/or money so you can accomplish your goals. And it definitely feels overwhelming when there are so many characters to choose from and can't fully understanding where they will be applicable. Bossk, I bought the 9.99 pack to get him to 4*. I will skip that with new Han and Chewy. I know where he fits. I don't know where Han and Chewy do.

This all stems from a resource crunch. I can't gamble with stun guns, carbs, cuffs, raid gear, etc. I need to know how these character fit into my goals to justify any resources being spent. And I think that's the source of your frustration. Right now I have favorited 4 characters that I'm working on. Every. Single. One. is stuck on a stun gun.

So I think the real question is, with the growth of the game (both content and characters), how does the business continue to succeed while enabling players to feel a greater sense of progress. Characters aren't the issue. The Gear is. No one wants to get to a G11 (or higher) character and learn they don't fit their needs when all of that gear could have been used elsewhere. We have no margin of error on where we allocate (without large monetary investment) and that causes anxiety.

It's a tough question to answer. I understand the business need to both create incentive to spend AND protect the longevity of the game (don't want people reaching end-game too fast). But my progress has definitely stagnated.

Speaking from a personal perspective, of course.

Side note, really appreciate the update having favorites on the top. Helped alleviate the anxiety of seeing how far I have to go on so many characters.

TL;DR - characters not the issue. lack of knowing where they fit in the game (at release) and gear crunch is. tough problem to solve.
  • Vinny_Vader_Vedi
    4626 posts Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    ^^ to the point of Ewoks and Jedi. You can’t really have a game like that. Just run Palp and Yoda and whatever old republic Sith. No changes of meta then either. The game has to power toons differently. Half of the Jedi are super old content they will be buffed. #buffjedi
    It’s just a matter of when.
  • Options
    ^^ to the point of Ewoks and Jedi. You can’t really have a game like that. Just run Palp and Yoda and whatever old republic Sith. No changes of meta then either. The game has to power toons differently. Half of the Jedi are super old content they will be buffed. #buffjedi

For the record, I was joking about the Ewoks. Agreed that Jedi need a boost, but I think you got my joke. I'm just confirming
  • Options
    Rebel_yell wrote: »

For the record, I was joking about the Ewoks. Agreed that Jedi need a boost, but I think you got my joke. I'm just confirming

I smell what your stepping in don’t worry.
    ^^ = agreement. :)