Rancor solo squad question (Zader)

So I've ran the pit about 6 times since putting a zeta on Vaders leadership and I come close to soloing but I keep losing one character at the start of P3 and wiping in P4. My lineup is Zader/TFP/Thrawn/MagnaTrooper/Tarkin and a basic strategy of auto attacking and keeping my TM reduction skills spread out so I'm not wasting them but for whatever reason rancor manages to get some swings in in P3.

So the two questions are is there anything else I should be doing when it comes close to the next phase starting and also should I be using culling blade? Right now I only use it once the dots and debuffs are stacked up AND my dot/speed down isn't on cool down. It does tons of damage, over 10% per sometimes but it also removes speed down.

Suggestions? All level 83, almost all omegas.

Replies

• Depending on what’s you have there are better options then magma, it also depends on your speeds, and as for culling blade, the opinions vary, it’s riskier to use culling blade often, but it can work better, and depending on the squad, you can run full auto, ZVader lead tie Tarkin thrawn jyn for example, is full auto capable. But, the modded speed in particular is quite important.
  • Huatimus
    3669 posts Member
    If you’re playing on manual, only use CB when the door is down. That’ll give TFP the chance to crit and put Tenacity Down debuff.
  • BulYwif
    1977 posts Member
    Replace Magma with Jyn, that was my lineup before CLS. If you have Krennic, go for him instead of TFP.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Make sure to have your special attacks ready when you move from phase to phase in order to put fracture on the rancor ASAP in the new phase. Don't save your fracture due to its TM.reduction ability. Fracture the Rancor ASAP to speed it down. Fracture is a higher speed reduction than speed down is on raid bosses. Apart from it seems like you're doing it right. However, you could delay toppling the Rancor and only use Vader's AoE (to apply debuffs) and not use Tarkin's and TFP's AoEs unless you really have to. Having the toople option available for emergency situations (in case the Rancor should reach high TM) could prevent it from taking a turn.
  • Waqui wrote: »
    Make sure to have your special attacks ready when you move from phase to phase in order to put fracture on the rancor ASAP in the new phase. Don't save your fracture due to its TM.reduction ability. Fracture the Rancor ASAP to speed it down. Fracture is a higher speed reduction than speed down is on raid bosses. Apart from it seems like you're doing it right. However, you could delay toppling the Rancor and only use Vader's AoE (to apply debuffs) and not use Tarkin's and TFP's AoEs unless you really have to. Having the toople option available for emergency situations (in case the Rancor should reach high TM) could prevent it from taking a turn.

Thanks, I'll try waiting on the topple for next time. I kept fracture going the majority of the fight, I'm pretty sure the only time I ever skipped it was when rancor was toppled or when he's under 10% so I have it ready for the next part.

As for culling blade the only reason I consider using it a couple more times per fight is it feels like maybe the fight drags on for so long due to my level and gear that I eventually start missing enough attacks which allows the rancor to take a swing. It might be worth it to throw it out there a couple more times per part to speed the fight up.
  • Also, you probably don't have BB-8 yet given your level and the last time he was around, but he works wonders in Rancor in any comp (replacing TFP for instance here). Also, FOO and Thrawn work really well with Tarkin. I have a Vader / FOO / Thrawn / Tarkin / BB-8 squad WITHOUT the leadership Zeta that can full auto. I had TFP for BB-8 prior to unlocking him and it was manual, but could still auto without the zeta. So, maybe just replace Magma with FOO if you have him and take the speed arrow off of TFP since you really don't want him going all that frequently.