Mod color question

What is the ranking of colors when it comes to Mods? Gold is best right? What comes after that?

Replies

• YKMisfit
    730 posts Member
    Options
    Gold, Purple, Blue, Green, White
  • YKMisfit
    730 posts Member
    Options
    same as gear
  • Poxx
    2288 posts Member
    Options
    Gold, purple, blue, green, grey. Best to worst.
  • Options
    Cool, thanks. I just realized the similarity to gear color lol.
  • Sunnie1978
    2937 posts Moderator
    Options
    Yes and no. Mod color refers to how many secondaries are showing. White = no secondaries, Green = 1 secondary, Blue = 2 secondaries, Purple = 3 secondaries, and Gold = all 4 secondaries showing. Even a mod that is white will become gold at level 12, as all secondaries will be showing. This does not mean that a level 12 gold mod is the best, it really depends on the secondaries and what the levels are. When you level a mod, if it already has secondaries showing at level 1, then one of the displayed secondaries will increase. For a green mod, the shown secondary will increase once at level 3; Blue, 50/50 chance a certain secondary will increase at level 3 and level 6; Purple, 1/3 chance to increase a chosen secondary at levels,3, 6 and 9. ,A level 1 gold mod has all secondaries showing but only a 25% chance a chosen secondary will increase each time. For a mod with a speed secondary, the highest speed secondaries come from level 1 gold mods with speed showing where the speed secondary is increased at levels 3,6,9 and 12, but it is high rng to get these mods (gamers usually call them "god mods"), but out of the mods with secondaries showing, it also has the lowest chance of bumping speed at each of the secondary increase levels.
  • Options
    To expand a bit,
    Grey = no secondary shown and up to level 2
    Green = 1 secondary shown and up to level 5
    Blue = 2 secondaries shown and up to level 8
    Purple = 3 secondaries shown and up to level 11
    Gold = 4 secondaries shown and up to level 15

While a level 1 mod can be any color, a grey mod will turn green at level 3, a grey or green mod will turn blue at level 6, a grey, green, or blue mod will turn purple at level 9, and all mods turn gold at level 12.

As Sunnie pointed out, mods that start out different colors at level 1 have upgraded secondary stats when you upgrade the mod. A green mod will upgrade its secondary at level 3 and will then reveal new (base) secondaries after that. A blue mod will upgrade one of its secondaries at level 3 and will upgrade one at level 6. Purple level 1 mods get secondaries upgraded at levels 3, 6, and 9. Gold level 1 mods get secondaries upgraded at levels 3, 6, 9, and 12. Which secondaries get upgraded is up to chance. The same one could upgrade every time, or each could upgrade once, or any combination.
  • CCyrilS
    6732 posts Member
    Options
    But at level 1, gold is best... I assume that was OPs real question
  • Sunnie1978
    2937 posts Moderator
    Options
    Yeah, even then it can depend on the secondaries and how they roll. A level 1 green mod with speed showing is a guaranteed bump to speed so may be better than a level 1 gold mod once they are both at level 12 it higher. It can happen where speed does not get bumped at all on that level 1 gold mod.
  • CCyrilS
    6732 posts Member
    Options
    True. But you're more likely to get a bump with the gold. Personally I only bother with gold and purple, but it's true if you want to gamble you might get lucky.
  • TVF
    36599 posts Member
    Options
    It also depends how many speed mods you have. I'm at the point where I have a ton of 8 speed secondaries, so a green mod isn't of much value to me any more.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • CCyrilS
    6732 posts Member
    Options
    That does bring up another point though: if you're still building up your collection, it can be worth it to consider lesser mods. But for those of us just looking for those rare 15+ speed secondaries I wouldn't bother.
  • Options
    Yeah I was just looking at the Mod Store and was trying to figure out what to buy and was wondering what the colors represented lol. Thanks everyone, very informative!
  • crzydroid
    7298 posts Moderator
    Options
    CCyrilS wrote: »
    True. But you're more likely to get a bump with the gold. Personally I only bother with gold and purple, but it's true if you want to gamble you might get lucky.

I find you're more likely to NOT get a speed bump on gold. There are more things to level up, so less chance of any one particular secondary getting the bump.

Purples are generally a good bet, though I never discount the blues...but you usually won't get past 8 with those.
  • CCyrilS
    6732 posts Member
    Options
    crzydroid wrote: »

I find you're more likely to NOT get a speed bump on gold. There are more things to level up, so less chance of any one particular secondary getting the bump.

Purples are generally a good bet, though I never discount the blues...but you usually won't get past 8 with those.

Lol...that's not how it works. You get bumps only after the 4 secondaries are added. A purple mod only has 3 so the first bump is wasted on adding the 4th secondary.
  • Kai_Mulai
    683 posts Member
    edited May 2018
    Options

Lol...that's not how it works. You get bumps only after the 4 secondaries are added. A purple mod only has 3 so the first bump is wasted on adding the 4th secondary.

Actually, stat bumps happen before additional secondaries are revealed. So you can upgrade a mod to its color (to 3, 6, 9, or 12) and find out what its final upgraded versions of revealed secondary stats are. Further upgrades over that reveal new secondaries, up to the max of 4.
  • Kai_Mulai
    683 posts Member
    Options

Actually, secondary stats are upgraded before new secondaries are listed. So if you upgrade a level 1 purple mod to level 9, you’ll see the final upgraded versions of all the existing secondaries listed. And if you upgrade it to 12, the mod will turn gold and the final basic secondary will be revealed.
  • CCyrilS
    6732 posts Member
    Options
    Yeah but you still waste an upgrade on adding a secondary. You are correct, but my point still stands that gold mods are MORE likely to get a bump on a secondary.
  • Darthpedro
    1175 posts Member
    Options

@CCyrilS
    Sorry bud but you are mistaken. When you level a purple mod it raises one of the showing secondary stats at levels 3, 6, and 9 and adds the 4th secondary at level 12
  • CCyrilS
    6732 posts Member
    Options
    Darthpedro wrote: »

@CCyrilS
    Sorry bud but you are mistaken. When you level a purple mod it raises one of the showing secondary stats at levels 3, 6, and 9 and adds the 4th secondary at level 12

See previous comment
  • TVF
    36599 posts Member
    Options
    Purple = 33% chance x3
    Gold = 25% chance x4

So yeah a purple "wastes" the level 12 upgrade on a new secondary, but level 3, 6, and 9 have a better chance to improve the speed secondary.
  • CCyrilS
    6732 posts Member
    Options
    Isn't .25x4 equal to .33x3? With the gold the speed could be raised one additional time compared to the purple, right?
  • TVF
    36599 posts Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Yes, the gold can upgrade the speed 4 times, versus 3 for the purple. But the purple has a better chance of upgrading the speed each time.
  • EduardoCadav
    390 posts Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    0.25x4 is equal to 0.33x3 but it's a conditional probability problem given that a subsequent upgrade to the same stat is not an independent event.

Given a mod with speed showing as a secondary here are the probabilities it will upgrade once for a possible min - max range of 6 - 12 speed

green, 100%
    blue, 50%
    purple, 0.33...%
    gold, 25%

Two speed upgrade for possible min - max of 9 - 18

green, 0%
    blue, 25%
    purple, 11.111...% (1 in 9)
    gold, 6.25% (1 in 16)

Three speed upgrade for possible min - max of 12 - 24

green, 0%
    blue, 0%
    purple, 3.703...% (1 in 27)
    gold, 1.5625% (1 in 64)

Four speed upgrade for possible min - max of 15 - 30

green, 0%
    blue, 0%
    purple, 0%
    gold, 0.390625% (1 in 256)

since the probabilities of 3,4,5 or 6 for the initial and upgrade values are unknown (but I suspect not equal) then where the ranges overlap it's basically impossible to say which is more likely to get you say +19 speed. But lets face it, if you get a purple mod with 5 speed on it your going to upgrade it anyway so who really cares.

For speeds in the range 10 - 15 though a blue with 4 or more starting value is your best bet and will happen with 1 in 4. The purple starting at 4 or more speed will give you speed >10 with just over 14.8% (about 3 in 20) chance.

TL;DR just upgrade everything with a speed secondary if the primary stat is useful ;) you'll use it somewhere

EDIT ^^ above calculations don't take account of the fact you can get a single upgrade to speed on the 4th roll of a gold mod, i.e. at level 12
  • Options
    Modified probabilities for all possibilities,

blue,
    0 upgrades = 25%
    1 upgrades = 50%
    2 upgrades = 25%

purple,
    0 upgrades = 29.6% = 8/27
    1 upgrades = 44.4% = 12/27
    2 upgrades = 22.2% = 6/27
    3 upgrades = 3.70% = 1/27

gold,
    0 upgrades = 31.6% = 81/256
    1 upgrades = 42.2% = 108/256
    2 upgrades = 21.1% = 54/256
    3 upgrades = 4.69% = 12/256
    4 upgrades = 0.39% = 1/256

So now the percentages should add up. I think this is a more useful way to look at it compared with above as presumably the mod is being upgraded to lvl 12 as a minimum anyway.

calculations could still be completely wrong so feel free to point out silly mistakes if there are any! :)
  • CCyrilS
    6732 posts Member
    Options
    Modified probabilities for all possibilities,

blue,
    0 upgrades = 25%
    1 upgrades = 50%
    2 upgrades = 25%

purple,
    0 upgrades = 29.6% = 8/27
    1 upgrades = 44.4% = 12/27
    2 upgrades = 22.2% = 6/27
    3 upgrades = 3.70% = 1/27

gold,
    0 upgrades = 31.6% = 81/256
    1 upgrades = 42.2% = 108/256
    2 upgrades = 21.1% = 54/256
    3 upgrades = 4.69% = 12/256
    4 upgrades = 0.39% = 1/256

So now the percentages should add up. I think this is a more useful way to look at it compared with above as presumably the mod is being upgraded to lvl 12 as a minimum anyway.

calculations could still be completely wrong so feel free to point out silly mistakes if there are any! :)

Thanks. It was that last part I was trying to explain, with the extra possibility for 4th upgrade.