Rumor Control: Is SWGOH on autopilot?

DuneSeaFarmer
3525 posts Member
edited May 2018
Many have voiced these concerns on the future of SWGOH. A new raid that is being verbally shredded by players, and not in a good way. Changes to the game that amount to cosmetic at best. Talk of addressing glaring issues, rewards etc, that seem to have been put on the back burner by updates no one asked for (comparing the recent interface updates to rewards, raid mechanics, there really is no comparison). Topped off by a new game in development by CG (See their website. Which is fine, they have one game on life support (Heroes of dragon age) which leaves SWGOH as the bread winner so it makes sense they need another revenue stream). No argument, no complaint with that.

That said, those that played HoDA are recognizing a pattern of CG's attention being shifted. Some players have privately wondered if they (EA/CG) cleaned house since they see a lot of job openings. My reply was that was typical when game studios start a new game. They tend to over staff to stay on schedule and then thin out after launch. This is typical in the industry and nothing new or bad, contract work is a normal thing.

So, my convoluted thought process here aside, I think a frank "What's up?" would be great to silence fears and concerns, and reassure the players. With so many disillusioned players walking away, guilds imploding, it would be really nice to hear from someone other than the mods (that do a bang up and thankless job. I've been a mod elsewhere so I know some of what I speak of lol) .

IF this is possible, please be as straightforward as possible, and avoid the long winded replies that simply restate all that has already been restated, over and over. HoDA used to have a thread where the CM complied the most asked questions and sought answers from the developers where possible. Players really need this, and it needs to come from CG, not 3rd party "Unofficial" sources.

Hope this makes sense now. Sorry for the false start and unless this post breaks a rule I am not aware of it can stay now.
Post edited by DuneSeaFarmer on

Replies

• TVF
    36598 posts Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Suggestion: Don't listen and read. :p

Seriously though, ignore the internet.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Options
    started to write a post to dispel the rumors. Stupid fingers hit enter and .. off we go.. Gonna write it offline and try again after.
  • Options
    Okay take two.. Hopefully I made sense.
  • Options
    I don't see the point of this post and here is why. Two reasons, first: they have a section here on the forum soley for updates and announcements. it's packed full of information, and second: if swgoh was cleaning house and/or slowing down, how would announcing that to the public help their cause? I don't mean to criticize. it sounds like your trying to see how people feel? I'm not sure.
  • Options
    No don't worry. In a recent video, they said that they have a roadmap for atleast 3 more years.

Please don't cite a source though, its a pain to go through all those videos. Just take my word for it! ;)
  • DuneSeaFarmer
    3525 posts Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Well when a good friend tells you some of her best players walked away from her guild, and stated my thoughts voiced above as why. And you hear it more and more, you try to help.
  • Options
    As to my hard to follow wording, story of my life. I know what I mean, but it can get lost in the translation. I tend to have a "Fix it" attitude, and well somethings can't be fixed, but I can say I tried.
  • Ploosh
    565 posts Member
    Options
    Well when a good friend tells you some of her best players walked away from her guild, and stated my thoughts voiced above as why. And you hear it more and more, you try to help.

Nah, people saying stuff like that is non stop. If anything, I feel like I've heard significantly less about people threatening to leave. All the wishy washers got out when they couldn't complete sith raid the day it dropped, everyone else is here for the long haul.

Game is healthy and making loads of money, no reason for them to slow down anytime soon.
  • Options
    No don't worry. In a recent video, they said that they have a roadmap for atleast 3 more years.

Please don't cite a source though, its a pain to go through all those videos. Just take my word for it! ;)

LOL Np, I trust your word.
  • Options
    Another on going concern is drop rates. I have to admit I have seen pass after pass with no shard or gear drops. Across the board.
  • TVF
    36598 posts Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Is it on auto pilot?

Read the update notes just released and then tell me if you think it is.

EDIT: Drop rates are the same as always.
  • Options
    TVF wrote: »
    Is it on auto pilot?

Read the update notes just released and then tell me if you think it is.

EDIT: Drop rates are the same as always.

I just passed that on as a matter of fact. Some are reading, any word on the rewards revamp?
  • TVF
    36598 posts Member
    Options
    Nope. Lots of other good stuff though.
  • Options
    TVF wrote: »
    Nope. Lots of other good stuff though.

Well that's something at least. Fingers crossed for rewards coming soon or at least a progress report.
  • Options
    What exactly is it that is concerning you? The long-term viability of the game? You seem to be making assumptions about the company's fiscal health that are... well... unsubstantiated (to put it lightly). Let me put it in perspective for you. If CG has 100 employees that "cost" (salaries, benefits, office, computers, etc) $120k / yr they incur $12 million in operational costs annually. Rolling Stone published an article that the game is estimated to have made more than $275 million since 2015.... they have the runway. If I had to guess, those job openings are the result of being so successful and expanding so they can deliver content to us faster.

The game is fine. I'd argue it's never been better.

The sith raid needs to be fine tuned for non-heroic guilds. They need to add mod-management. They need to reduce the time commitment for FTP to stay competitive. Lots of things that need to be sorted out, but none of this puts the game or company in "dire straits".

Your good friend may have had a few players walk away from her guild, but she stayed. Others stayed. You've stayed. I've stayed. Fret not, friend. We'll have this game to enjoy for a long long time.
  • DuneSeaFarmer
    3525 posts Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I figure, for every one player making a big exit. Many more quietly walk away. Perhaps reading here, and other threads of a similar nature might gain some insight, and perhaps hope. Trouble is as the devs themselves have said, the forums account for a very small percentage of the playerbase. Still, if we try to shed some light on the issues, maybe word of mouth will help get some information out. My intent was and is, to voice concerns brought up by others. Others that think there is no value in them asking. I figure, what the heck, ask. Worst that can happen is it's ignored. Best that can happen, is their fears are unfounded. Middle of the road, more questions arise and are answered. Dialog is good. Without it, just bang the rocks together guys (HHGTTG reference :) )
  • Options
    I figure, for every one player making a big exit. Many more quietly walk away. Perhaps reading here, and other threads of a similar nature might gain some insight, and perhaps hope. Trouble is as the devs themselves have said, the forums account for a very small percentage of the playerbase. Still, if we try to shed some light on the issues, maybe word of mouth will help get some information out. My intent was and is, to voice concerns brought up by others. Others that think there is no value in them asking. I figure, what the heck, ask. Worst that can happen is it's ignored. Best that can happen, is their fears are unfounded. Middle of the road, more questions arise and are answered. Dialog is good. Without it, just bang the rocks together guys (HHGTTG reference :) )

I totally agree that it's good to provide feedback to devs on where the major frustrations in game are occurring and it's important that we have open dialogue because the health of the game is important to us, the players. My concern in the way it's being broached is through fear mongering. You're insinuating that there is some mass exodus by players, devs from the company, and that the fiscal health may be in jeopardy.

The example you provided of a few players leaving your friends guild is an example of people walking away quietly for us, but not for CG. Having worked in software for a long-time. I can tell you they're looking at the +/- of active players (broken down by start dates, money spent, time spent, etc) at a minimum once a week and probably have it as a daily tracker on some big TV in its office. If the Sith Raid was truly driving people from the game, we wouldn't be getting this May 25th update and instead would be getting a major overhaul to STR. You may not have been around for the AAT modifications, but those were made very quickly after release of that raid. Data, not rumors, drives where they invest resources.
  • Options
    I have played since launch. I remember the AAT launch and the subsequent fallout. It's not relevant. But be that as it may, I don't see mentioning player concerns as fear mongering. In fact likening it to that is why many think posting any concern they have will meet with negative feedback so why bother. Many think game studios don't care. Popular conception here is only pay to win players matter. The rest can stay or go, who cares.

Anyways. I said my peace. We'll see what comes of it.
  • Options
    And I hope you saw that in one of my responses I highlighted that time commitment for FTP players is an issue I too believe should be addressed.

I guess the point I'm trying to get at, I still don't know what you're asking of CG. If you're worried about its focus or financial position. Why not just simply ask "why are you hiring?" I doubt they will share information with us about cash position and player retention, but it certainly something that can be brought up during their next AMA on the forums.
  • Options
    I am merely the messenger. Voicing their concerns. Not at their behest, but on my own volition. Which may be a fools errand. I did it in the hope that it could be addressed in whole or part and work in conjunction with CG's desire to have a more open dialog. I know better than to expect a direct response. They have jobs to do. My point is even if it borders on restating the obvious, players have been made to feel their voices only matter if they praise the game. Many think posting anything negative will cause them to be banned. Still others think they would be wasting their time. With CG Carries post a while back stating more conversations and information flowing both ways, is their wish going forward. So.... I posted. But, with my having to defend what I posted, some players reading along will feel they were right. And I am wasting my time.
  • Options
    Need some Wall Street types or securities attorneys to weigh in on what the financial health of CG is.
  • Options
    If they weren't making money EA would pull the plug. They aren't exactly known for letting a borderline game limp along. Trust me, this game is very profitable.