Who is this Crumb guy? A Quick Introduction

Prev13456789
CG_SBCrumb
685 posts EA Community Manager
edited May 2018
Hello fellow Holotable Heroes,

You may have seen a few of my posts around the forums or in CG_Carrie’s recent State of the Galaxy post that mentioned me joining EA and Capital Games as Sr. Community Manager. I’ll just start with that I’m very excited to join the team and dive into this awesome community.

Who is this guy?
I’m not one for talking about myself, but I only get the opportunity for an introduction once so here goes!

My name is Chris and I go by CG_SBCrumb around these parts. I joined Capital games earlier this month. Like most people here, I’ve been a massive Star Wars fan since I was young. I also became obsessed with computers and videogames probably due to my family working in tech since punch cards and mechanical adding machines. There was always a computer in my home and from an old UNIX box my love for games grew to encompass just about every type and genre. I’ll have fun whether it’s an FPS, strategy or board game or whatever, but my favorites usually involve me staring at a wiki for hours.

I can’t pick just one so here are my top five games of all time in no particular order:
  • The Incredible Machine
  • Team Fortress 2
  • FTL
  • Dwarf Fortress
  • Total Annihilation
9lwDh8B.png

Besides work, playing video games, and being a Star Wars superfan, I also enjoy sailing, disc golf and painting miniatures. I lived on a sailboat for several years, and the ocean became another obsession of mine. I’ve sailed up the coast of California, island hopped around the Mediterranean and dove the Great Barrier Reef.

y6HHgXo.png

I started my career shooting and editing video for special events in the Monterey Bay Area. My educational background is in Film and Digital Media but shortly after college I realized I had mixed up my career and my hobby. My real passion was working in games and had an opportunity to join this awesome industry early in 2013.

What Can CG_Crumb Do For Me?
Enough about my life, what can I do for you?

I will have a variety of responsibilities as Community Manager but a core part of my day to day will be improving our communication with you. I want to let you behind the curtain as much as I can and bring you in on why we make decisions such as why we balance this character like this, etc. Basically, be the conduit from the developer’s mouth to your ears...but conversations go both ways. We also need to listen to you to make this work. That would not be easy even if everyone in the community agreed on a direction! Players can engage with our game differently and therefore have many different needs. We need to understand and support all of these folks. In short, we have some listening to do, and we need to continue to build the conversation between all of us.

I expect a good part of my job will be handing requests from both sides trying to communicate and get more information about the other. Expect more on this topic later.
This is not something that only I am passionate about improving but I have been told repeatedly, this is an important priority for us. To be clear, this won’t happen overnight and we won’t get everything right the first time but we will unrelentingly drive towards making it better. That’s my promise to you.

How can I Help?
Remember we are humans, sometimes we don’t see posts right away, we make copy pasta errors, we don’t always get it perfect but we have some amazing developers, forum moderators and game changers in this community that care deeply about making this game the best it can be. We all have strong feelings about the game. Sometimes we can let that intensity run wild enough to be abrasive to others and just rub people the wrong way. My ask of everyone is to try to all be passionate gamers but not aggressive and remember that we all care about the same thing, making a great game. That said, ya’ll seem pretty nice so far!

One of the most helpful thing for us is to be constructive and concise with your feedback. We comb through tons of it, collate it in to reports and closely compare it to our game data but we sometimes miss important details in walls of text. Try to avoid that if you can but I can be guilty of this sometimes. (see this post…)

We unfortunately can’t be everywhere and see everything all the time, so we need your help. If you see something going wrong or a bug, let us know. You can make all our lives much easier by escalating critical issues to us and the moderators. This in turn give us more time to do the fun stuff and spend more time on things like making our next patch great.

Lastly, I’m curious to hear from all you folks as well about your experiences with Galaxy of Heroes. I’d love to hear about your journey with the game so far. I’ve about mastered Phoenix squad but I’d love to hear your tips and suggestions on where to go next.

Thanks for listening everybody. I look forward to working with you all.

Here’s a short ice breaker to get the thread started: This your moment. You’re in front of bosses. You get to make ONE hypothetical change to game. Not two, not three, five is right out:

How do you make the biggest impact on the game today with just one change? Why did you pick this one over other important improvements?

Replies

• Welcome aboard!
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Welcome
    improve mod management.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Dabro112
    79 posts Member
    Can you explain how improved communication led to this TU12 release? And from your perspective if the communication was adequate and transparent?

• Yes
    145 posts Member
    edited May 2018
    Hey welcome! How can you help?

Fix the sith raid!
    (Nihilus's ridiculous shield)

Thanks.
  • Welcome! It's been nice seeing you around here. And I really hope "copy pasta errors" was intentional ;)

My one change: basic mod management. Make it easier to search and filter my mods. Let me "favorite" mods. Let me group mods into sets and "move all." And maybe make it cheaper to do so, since we're going to do it anyway and mods are such a credit sink as is.

I really want to emphasize the "basic." I know CG_Carrie has talked about completely overhauling mods - 6 dot and 7 dot mods, making speed balanced instead of king - but there's been a lot of big, complicated changes lately (STR rewards, Ships 2.0). I really think something small, strictly QoL, strictly what the players have been asking for and not a huge rework would do a lot for the player base.

I really like the game as is, and since I've only been playing for 6 months I still feel like I'm playing catch-up in a lot of areas. Every time something big changes, it creates more to do. Something designed to enhance the experience rather than overhaul it would be nice.

Thanks for listening :)
  • Firstly, welcome. We aren't the most rational bunch, but we're fanatics about Star Wars and this game. If you can engage us frequently and without the condescending tone (see: @CG_RyDiggs), we'll get along fine.

Secondly, one change only? Oh my, there's a list here somewhere... wait, no, that's groceries... ahh yes! The list. Hrmmm. Ok, just one.

Mod management. The ability to create a named set of mods, and then to swap them between characters in one fell swoop. For FREE. Moving something I already own for credits is ridiculous.

(Stacking Tenacity, that monstrosity of a Raid killer, came close in 2nd)

• Welcome Mr Crumb
    Great intro ....thankyou for the share
  • QJinX
    219 posts Member
    Please tell us you play this game on a regular basis. As in before you started with CG. Its been made clear the devs dont and we need someone that can explain the nuances to them.
  • CG_SBCrumb
    edited May 2018
    Dabro112 wrote: »
    Can you explain how improved communication led to this TU12 release? And from your perspective if the communication was adequate and transparent?
    Improving communication is going to be a process, not a milestone. I don't understand your first question. Are you asking if we could have done better with clarifying and displaying patch notes? Yes absolutely. Today my energy is being spent on examining what went right, what went wrong and how do we do better next time.

To your second, did we work hard to be transparent and give everyone enough details to explain this massive patch? Yes. Was it enough for high level players who want to rip the patch notes apart and really want to get into the nitty gritty details? No, but I've got some ideas on how to do it better in the future and we will continue to improve in this regard.
    Yes wrote: »
    Hey welcome! How can you help?
    Fix the sith raid!
    (Nihilus's ridiculous shield)
    Thanks.
    We have had many discussions and meetings this week to review the issues in the Sith Raid. Nothing to announce other than what was posted already but we hear you that it needs a fix. We are working on it.
    Post edited by CG_SBCrumb on
  • Hello and welcome! My change is this:

Build a simple survey system into the game to be activated once major content is added (ie. Sith Raid, Ships 2.0, etc.). Activate the survey after the content has been out for two weeks (two weeks in order to avoid gut reactions which can quickly change). This survey would ask the standard 1-10 scale of enjoyment question, then follow up with some options ya'll have gleaned from the forum contents on changes.
    Example: Sith Raid
    (1) On a scale of 1-10...
    (2) Which is your favorite phase?
    (3) Which is your least favorite phase?
    (4) Which is your second least favorite phase?
    (5) If you could make one change, would it be
    (A) Less boss health
    (B) Better rewards
    (C) Etc.

Why this change over any other?

Because reading long comments on the forums is only good as a starting place for two reasons: there are far more players in game than on the forums. Data is very limited here, numbers wise. Second, long text requires someone to compile it and analyze it. The more feedback, the more work. Use the feedback here to craft the right survey questions that can be most relevant. In this way, you all get more data in a more organized and useful fashion, you know exactly which changes are most desired (no need to guess if p1 or p3 is worse), you know what fixes are most desired (easier vs better rewards), and the community on the forums are still heard.

This is my one change, and thank you for reading :)
  • CG_SBCrumb
    QJinX wrote: »
    Please tell us you play this game on a regular basis. As in before you started with CG. Its been made clear the devs dont and we need someone that can explain the nuances to them.
    Yes definitely! Been playing daily for a while. I started playing at my old job as half of my office was staring at their phones all day playing SWGOH. Plus Star Wars, I'm surprised I didn't get hooked earlier
  • Burritto
    47 posts Member
    edited May 2018
    One is the number of suggestions I shall provide, and the number of suggestions shall be one...

Welcome, and thanks for soliciting input!

My big ask would be a path towards retiring obsolete portions of the game. I understand certain things matter more to new players than they do to old players, but there is so much content now that I think it can be overwhelming for all types of experience levels. For example, challenges and the gear they provide are more clutter than anything. Galactic War could be looked at too since that is a perfunctory task for seasoned players and a chore for new ones. Three raids is a bit much, etc..

I know this would be a lofty goal, but a streamlining of the number of play areas would be awesome. If it could be tuned to provide the rewards that are given from these areas without all of the labor of collecting/earning rewards, I think this would be a worthy endeavor. As it sits, the game is growing exponentially larger, which I don't imagine is sustainable.

(And if mod management wins the contest, can they be managed straight into the garbage, please?)
  • Welcome to the weird and wonderful world of this forum. For my change of the game would be sith raid.

Question for you @CG_SBCrumb as a fan, favourite film/ character?
  • Thanks for the response. My first question was really just sarcasm but you tried and I appreciate that. Nerfing toons that everyone had and used isnt required. If you have to nerf a toon that has a really high utilization to get the others playable that speaks more to the non utilized toon than to the high utilty toon.

To nerf toons to get use to impulse buy a pack that really won't overcome a deficit is a bad tactic. Transparency is a double edge sword. Like Carrie said we would get new gear in May and now it's delayed and she is getting questioned. I understand some details being withheld.

My hope is to just not spend and that NEW ships will come with the PVE and I can tread water until this all shakes out.

The biggest problem is you all claim to love Star Wars and play the game but then the releases are in direct opposition to these statements. No one wants genosians to be meta go watch clone wars and tell me a scenario in which they should be considered credible.
  • Yes
    145 posts Member
    Brother! Good to have you on board! Cheers! Looking forward to the games progress. Thank you again.
  • CG_SBCrumb
    edited May 2018
    Welcome to the weird and wonderful world of this forum. For my change of the game would be sith raid.

Question for you @CG_SBCrumb as a fan, favourite film/ character?
    Here's a hint:
    qi4z90d4uoig.png
    And no disintegrations!
  • Dk_rek
    3299 posts Member
    Burritto wrote: »

My big ask would be a path towards retiring obsolete portions of the game. I understand certain things matter more to new players than they do to old players, but there is so much content now that I think it can be overwhelming for all types of experience levels. For example, challenges and the gear they provide are more clutter than anything. Galactic War could be looked at too since that is a perfunctory task for seasoned players and a chore for new ones. Three raids is a bit much, etc..

)

Whoa...for you maybe....for officers who won't delegate authority maybe.... they got half that stuff down to one click for $$#$ sakes

Don't take away things we enjoy because someone else can't push a button...I mean GW one button if anything they need to make it harder after you can SIM so we have a playground.

Challenges... again it's a click.

Three raids to much take a zero take a break.... most posters want a ship raid and badly.

Lotta hate for having to click a button for 2 seconds.

got a guy in my guild can't click auto enter on Sith Raid he is literally refusing to tag raid and he's getting followers who refuse to play (real team player lol) it not because it's too much content but because it's a boring boring grind...
  • Hello and welcome. My question is why was ships ruined?
  • Dk_rek
    3299 posts Member
    Glad they got a CM now again...lets hope the CIA allows him to leak some info now and then.

Welcome Sir
  • If they can't click, kick. Seriously.
  • Obi_six_Kenobi
    370 posts Member
    edited May 2018
    Welcome!

My one hypothetical change:
    Add “force abilities” for all Force users, along with another stat “force energy”. Force abilities use force energy (think KOTOR force abilities) instead of cool downs. Force users also gain certain stats so long as their force energy is above a certain level, for example “Luke has 20% evasion while his force energy is above 50%” Force energy would regenerate like tm, but much slower and different characters would regenerate at different rates.
    Post edited by Obi_six_Kenobi on
  • Hello handsome!
  • I can dig it. Welcome!
  • Welcome! And, also, good luck.

Despite my own vehemence over the STR time vs. rewards - if I could actually do one thing with this game I'd add in a new way to use toons. Ex: Something using a small grid-like battlefield, toons with range get range, close up toons have to close up. Some squares give bonuses. Something really tactical.

After ~2.5 years and ccollecting/gearing/starring all these toons... I want a new way to use them.

PS - I played so much Total Annihilation... omg... Arm or Core?
    #AcolyteShootsTwice
  • Mydnight
    68 posts Member
    Not that you're a dev, but given your top 5 games can we expect to see ASCII Carp in the character lineup anytime soon?

Any pics of painted minis (from one minis painter to another)?

Welcome aboard, looking forward to your communications.
  • DJphenom
    78 posts Member
    Welcome @CG_SBCrumb.. Can you comment on raising the energy cap (much more important than level cap) for the rising amount of game features so that the FTP's can keep up with requirements? Maybe bumping it to 185 for both, and bumping the midday/reset bonuses to 65.. There are WAY more features than when I (and most others) first made it to level 85, but the same energy cap. Also, mod management would be a great thing to start creating dialogue about. The difficulty of the sith raid is a non-issue, as it seems that everyone wants to be end-game, when they just haven't earned it yet. It took me almost a year to start earning GK shards, and more than 6 months to start earning Han Solo shards. Thanks for your time!
  • C3PEOH
    2 posts Member
    @CG_SBCrumb welcome! great intro
    1 single life changing feature: MOD MANAGEMENT, hands down!
  • C3PEOH
    2 posts Member
    2nd option for a great feature: SHIP RAID
  • Vohbo
    332 posts Member
    I would remove Protection from the game.
  • Welcome.

500 stun gun salvage, 500 stun cuff salvage and 500 mk3 carbanti please