The real problem with ships...

I mean this sincerely...i think ships is heading in the right direction, BUT the problem is with how significant Target Lock is. The matches before and now after the update are all won and lost within the first 3 hits. This is the single most limiting factor of ships right now. I will either kill a team within 45 sec or get killed within 45 sec. This is the first thing that needs to be fixed. It is getting better, but at the end of the day a battle that hi ges on one debuff is flawed.

The second issue, is there is no customizqble aspect to ships. In the end all ships will be the same, and everyone will revert back to the same single team. At least with arena i can mod for speed, protection, offense etc...no two teams are alike even with mirror matches, there is slight variation. In ships, the customization is just not there. Which makes for incredibly boring content.

I hope in the continued design CG can address this. But the polarization of wins and losses is not good for a game.

Replies

• jjkriv
    429 posts Member
    I would have been happy with mods on ships w/o speed secondaries.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    It would have been great to be able to change turn order. I agree, we didn't need more mods, but the ability to customize turn order is a huge part of strategy. it would have been nice to have a stat trade situation, where you could make someone faster but cost you protection or offense, and similar across all stats. to make it feel like we are not all just searching for the same meta. There are too few ships, once its found we will end up back in a possibly boring spot again.
  • Very much agree with this post. As balanced as they were trying to make it, in reality they made it horribly unbalanced. For instance, with 5 vs 5, if you lost a few ships early on in the battle, it was still possible to come back and win. If you loose a few now, just force quit the game and play cards. You can not recoop your forces quick enough and with the new reinforcement abilities it becomes a 1 vs 4, then a 1 vs 5 battle. They old adage is the odds are always in the house favor, and in ship arena it SEEMS it’s always in the opponent’s favor.
  • TVF
    36573 posts Member
    I've never gotten to 5 ships or seen the AI get to 5 ships. With maxed ships (minus ability levels added at 2.0) there's too much damage being done. And if it was always in the opponent's favor how am I winning (rough estimate) 90% of the time?
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Darthpedro
    1175 posts Member
    TVF wrote: »
    I've never gotten to 5 ships or seen the AI get to 5 ships. With maxed ships (minus ability levels added at 2.0) there's too much damage being done. And if it was always in the opponent's favor how am I winning (rough estimate) 90% of the time?

I personally had a super bad RNG run today where I got to 5 on 2 it started with 3 Vader dodges and then 2 biggs dodges it was awful
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member

If you run Biggs with the ability increases on his protection boost with Vader and Bistan to start, and use Thrawn's buff special first, then reinforce with Reaper/Boba (switch order depending on Biggs' health /protection) I've gotten to 5 ships almost once per day (out of 5 battles). Still finish in the top 10-20 (where I did in ships 1.0) easily. Without refreshing now though.

That's part of the reason why ships 2.0 is kinda silly - it's simply about TL and Biggs.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*

• LukeDukem8 wrote: »
    I mean this sincerely...i think ships is heading in the right direction, BUT the problem is with how significant Target Lock is. The matches before and now after the update are all won and lost within the first 3 hits. This is the single most limiting factor of ships right now. I will either kill a team within 45 sec or get killed within 45 sec. This is the first thing that needs to be fixed. It is getting better, but at the end of the day a battle that hi ges on one debuff is flawed.

The second issue, is there is no customizqble aspect to ships. In the end all ships will be the same, and everyone will revert back to the same single team. At least with arena i can mod for speed, protection, offense etc...no two teams are alike even with mirror matches, there is slight variation. In ships, the customization is just not there. Which makes for incredibly boring content.

I hope in the continued design CG can address this. But the polarization of wins and losses is not good for a game.

The pilot stats are basic for ships stats, so pilots MODS give "customization" also to the ship. We really nead something else to buy???

I spended a lot of time and resources on biggs-wedge ships and pilots and now are almost useless... i cant' reach rank IV in droids challenge (before update i got 1 star with less powerful ships)... now i defeat in 3 rounds.

All my ships are at least 6* but Endurance 5*, all pilots are 7* g8-10; what the hell is needed for a rank IV?

I think someone miscalculated. Or they want to push people to buy buy buy buy...
  • TVF
    36573 posts Member
    Back to back posts, one saying Biggs is OP, the next saying he's useless. Ok.
  • TVF
    36573 posts Member
    Nikoms565 wrote: »

If you run Biggs with the ability increases on his protection boost with Vader and Bistan to start, and use Thrawn's buff special first, then reinforce with Reaper/Boba (switch order depending on Biggs' health /protection) I've gotten to 5 ships almost once per day (out of 5 battles). Still finish in the top 10-20 (where I did in ships 1.0) easily. Without refreshing now though.

That's part of the reason why ships 2.0 is kinda silly - it's simply about TL and Biggs.

Ok but you aren't going to see that from the AI. And I don't get five ships out but I still win 80 to 90 percent of the time and finish first or second every day easily with no refresh, so...?
  • ElikSemak
    5 posts Member
    edited May 2018

I know I'm not the best player in the game but I think to be an average player so I just said:

before update I had a good squad grew up in months, now i can't win the same battles i won before the update. And this is not correct towards the players. Especially if this frak update has been passed off for "more game fun" o "more game strategies variety".
    I saw no more fun... Just more to spend to become AGAIN competitive.

Anyway, as I told, I liked the nerfing of capital ships abilities like tie for Executrix and shield for Endurance that were too much...
  • TVF
    36573 posts Member
    You said
    ElikSemak wrote: »
    I spended a lot of time and resources on biggs-wedge ships and pilots and now are almost useless.

which is untrue.
  • TVF wrote: »
    You said
    I spended a lot of time and resources on biggs-wedge ships and pilots and now are almost useless.

which is untrue.

You're right. It is partially untrue, infact I fought back declaring:

I know I'm not the best player in the game but I think to be an average player so I just said:

before update I had a good squad grew up in months, now i can't win the same battles i won before the update. And this is not correct towards the players. Especially if this frak update has been passed off for "more game fun" o "more game strategies variety".
    I saw no more fun... Just more to spend to become AGAIN competitive.

Anyway, as I told, I liked the nerfing of capital ships abilities like tie for Executrix and shield for Endurance that were too much...

Anyway I think is not my Biggs' ship the main topic focus on which...
    I think that a team that was pretty good for an average player (like me) is not good anymore...
    This could be an acceptable loss in return for game experience compensation...
    Do you notice this "improved game experience"?
    I can't notice it.
  • Woodroward
    3749 posts Member
    Removing damage immunity from Mace was not a nerf that needed to happen.

I was struggling to take 1st with my full g12 republic fleet for some time, but now I can't even break top 20.

They effectively destroyed the viability of the Republic Fleet with several things:
    1. Changing Mace's Ultimate. The Republic Fleet is so slow, that this was often the only thing that gave them enough time to take anyone out. A taunt and damage immunity on Clone Sergeant was the only way to protect the fleet. Republic ships hit so softly that it would take offense up on my whole team to take a Biggs out if I didn't get him in my opening flurry. Protection and Retribution is garbage.
    2. Lowering Damage on Republic ships.... It already took my entire opening flurry on my completely maxed ships to take out Biggs. Now they do less damage than before and Biggs recovers more protection than before. Galactic Republic are now incapable of killing Biggs's ship unless they get amazing RNG and no one lands a target lock on your team for 4 rounds straight.
    3. Plo Koon. The main reason I was able to take top ranks with a Republic Fleet was because there was this whole tm engine available. Give tm to everyone including Mace. Tenacity up on Clone Sergeant who was my tank. Speed up on himself and others if they had a target lock. Then Rex would give Plo 50% tm to speed up his turn. With this mechanic, I was able to move quickly enough to stay in the battle. Now Plo doesn't give tm to cap ship anymore, doesn't give speed up to anyone, no tenacity up for my tank. Can't speed Plo up with Rex every turn anymore. Can't Speed Mace up anymore. Even though Mace's kit was weak in general before and he was and still is the slowest of the cap ships. He used to go a lot thanks to Plo and Valor, but now he never goes compared to other cap ships.

They absolutely destroyed the Galactic Republic fleet with this update. It is no longer viable at all, and was only barely viable before. It needed buffs, not nerfs.

This update was supposed to introduce more variety in arena. Nerfing Mace has had the opposite effect.

Nerfing TFP's dodge, however, leads to the possibility of more people winning without TFP, so did help.
  • Every day I scratch my head how Chimera’s tractor beam, maxed out btw, used twice in one battle, did ZERO damage. Both times it was used there was three opponent ships on the stage, each with one bar of red, didn’t scratch them. This happened twice in the same battle, ended up loosing the battle because their tractor beam nuked my two ships with almost full health bar. Crap makes no sense what so ever. I’ve stopped using it because it’s a worthless ability. About to stop doing anything ship related at all, auto the daily and be done with it. They F stuff up completely then want you to spend $65 on an ability package. Amazes me how stupid they are.