Communication improvement?

Bloodynubberz
68 posts Member
edited May 2018
@CG_Crumb
So now you have been welcomed to the forum, and have given a good impression, and aligned yourself to the community as a "gamer". But let me point out a couple of things.

1, In your first post you stated this
What Can CG_Crumb Do For Me?
Enough about my life, what can I do for you?
I will have a variety of responsibilities as Community Manager but a core part of my day to day will be improving our communication with you.

That is a good start to your role as community manager, it was well received by the community as good communication is a key piece that is missing from CG, if you read enough posts on the forum.

2, Later in the same post you state
This is not something that only I am passionate about improving but I have been told repeatedly, this is an important priority for us. To be clear, this won’t happen overnight and we won’t get everything right the first time but we will unrelentingly drive towards making it better. That’s my promise to you.

an even warmer fuzzy feeling that something will change for the better

3, on the May 22, 2018 @ 1:35AM you made this statement in the "Sith Triumvirate Raid Feedback Thread"
Yep, today is a bit busy with releases and tracking down Territory Battle Compensation info. Meeting in the next few days to review further. Expect an update here before EOW

That gives you four days to make some kind of update or response as the EOW (I'm assuming working week here), was Friday 25th May (or the 27th May if you intended for Sunday).

4, Its now the 30th May, I understand that your probably in bed right now as your US based and I am UK based but even ignoring that, do you think this is the basis of good communication? I dont!

When a person makes a promise to "improve communications" the first thing I would expect, would be to have a go at keeping that promise, rather than failing at the first hurdle (though we all fail on occasions).

I work in the tech industry and promise to make statements all of the time, many of which i cannot make due to unforeseen circumstances, or I have just been too busy. At that point if I have promised to communicate some info that I do not yet have, by a certain date, good communication dictates that I need to send an email, have a meeting or make a phone call, stating the reason that I have not fulfilled that promise, the reason does not need to be in depth, just a simple apology and state a new date where I expect to have that info available. This is something people understand and it gains respect.

5, It might be worth a look at this http://www.lifestalker.com/2016/08/effective-communication-skills.html Sorry, there is a link but when I am editing it does not show up very clearly.

Particularly this section
Define Goals
Effective communication allows you to clearly define your goals and set a time framework.

So, if situation demands, you can tackle the problems within set time framework. But for this, you have to be clear with your team and customers. Otherwise, it will earn you bad reputation.

Defining goals is also important in your relationship as it will allow you both to reassess what you both want in your life and how you want them.

Whilst i wish you every piece of luck in your new role, you need to understand the goals that you define, and stick too them, as stated even if its a simple "we have been too busy tracking down the missing rewards, I'm sorry but i will set a new date as XXX" for the update.

Good Luck, but please read that communication 101, I think it will help immensely with forum opinion and enthusiasm and remember were all rooting for you to succeed, because current communication is poor, don't follow the crowd, stand alone and lead the crowd, the rest might even follow your moral high ground.

Post edited by Bloodynubberz on

Replies

• leef
    13458 posts Member
    But what if you promised to improve your communication, but are unable to meet that goal? How do you communicate failing to communicate?
    Joking aside, while i agree that in this case they should just let the players know what's going on and what to expect, generally speaking no level of communication is ever going to please the playerbase.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    If your going to try and be critical of someone, maybe you can also include all the information.

1 the update given yesterday.
    3nc81o3bhj6l.jpg

2- it was a holiday weekend, many people leave early (he didnt), and Monday was an off day meaning they just got back into the office yesterday and he immediately updated with the information he could get and get approved

3 - the fact that you are talking to someone in the 3rd week of his job. Not sure when the last time you started a new job was, but I would imagine he still doesnt have the lay of the land there.

He is a CM, he doesnt implement any of these changes, he communicates them. Which he has been.

He is also left holding the bag for things that are not his fault and has no power to release information without approvals.

Maybe give the guy a chance,rather than try to sit on your "moral high ground " and judge others.
  • Not sure who your talking too Kyno, however i dont think my post was overtly critical, in fact i tried to make it as advisory as possible, rather than critical.

Good of you to mention the missing rewards update, but the statement i have identified was about the Sith raid, also stated in my post which is without an answer, even though one was promised.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Not sure who your talking too Kyno, however i dont think my post was overtly critical, in fact i tried to make it as advisory as possible, rather than critical.

Good of you to mention the missing rewards update, but the statement i have identified was about the Sith raid, also stated in my post which is without an answer, even though one was promised.

Sorry I misunderstood, and was responding to the quoted section, and missed the reference to the Sith raid.

It comes across a little pompous and critical when you are citing an off site to define what someone is or is not doing. I apologize if I misunderstood the position you are coming from.

Cutting someone a little slack and maybe asking the question again, being that we are all 1 of 100,000s of people asking things if 1 person, would probably be a more approachable approach to get the results you are asking for.

Trying to "chastise" someone for not answering a question a 8 days ago when they said they were admittedly busy, may be a little bit over the top. But that's just IMO.