You are doing it wrong!

Caiaphas
187 posts Member

Granted, I am not a lifecycle developer at a gaming studio.

BUT

This game is mature. It is at the stage where revenues are (probably) no longer increasing. What I do know is that reducing churn/increasing retention of NEW players is important to continue increasing revenues as a game reaches the mature stage. But this game IS mature - it’s (probably) past the peak of maximum players. Increasing the retention of NEW players is no longer they best way to continue growing revenue.

The last update was clearly focused on improving the new player experience, at the expense of what your mature, already-paying players want. You are trying to increase retention of NEW players, while watching your already-paying players leave.

You are doing it wrong.

Compared to brand-new clones of this game that are out there, no matter what updates you make to the new player experience, you won’t be able to compete. They are using newer technology, better graphics, and learning from the mistakes that you have made along he way. Its not fair, sure, but that is the way it is. Trying to compete for new players with those clones won’t grow your revenues, because you are doing it at the expense of what your mature players actually want in the game. When they leave, they leave with their pocketbooks. What you have is a loyal player base who love Star Wars. Work with them!

For the love of this game, please rethink the focus on improving the new player experience at the expense of your mature player base. Instead, perhaps listen a bit more to your existing players.

Think about what happened to Star Wars: Galaxies, for example, with the unasked-for Combat Upgrade, and, even worse, the New Game Experience. It didn’t end well. (just as one example of a game with an eerily similar name)

Shall we start by fixing, oh …. I don’t know …. SHIPS?!?

(of course, everything above is debatable, which I am sure the forum community will debate… especially a certain few…)

Replies

• Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    If you check some of the data on downloads they get a huge boost with the release of ever movie. The focus on keeping those players playing is a good idea in the grand scheme of things.

They have focused for a while on new content (which is primarily older player based) with 2 huge additions over the past 6-8 months with TB and TW. This game has a long life cycle and they seem to let the pendulum swing back and forth in the development between old and new.

If they dont retain new players they will be making content for a select few and be forcing out new players who see nothing for them, most older players that will leave, would probably do so anyway. IMHO. But that is just speculation.

From the feedback on the newer clones I have seen, learning from "mistakes" is not really accurate. Longer grinds and more expensive packs (in the long run), shoes they are trying to make up for the costs of that "new stuff" in a similar timeframe.

In the general scheme of things they did listen to the mature player base for a long time, it didnt go well for many players as things were behind nameless paywalls (unknown timelines), raids were released that didnt allow for new players to grow into (haat has 2 levels) and there was little help to the many choke points through development that older players had long breaks to get through previously. I.e. - level caps and gear caps.

The general idea behind some of these new releases is to help older players too. They have designed part of the new player experience to make them better when they start to be come equals. This will help fill in gaps created if/when an older player leaves or switches to a different guild.

You make some good points but I think you too easily dismiss some of the great content out there for older players and how a better mid/low level player base is good for the longevity of the game. There have been very little, up to now, big updates for new players. It was needed.
  • It wouldn't even really be a slap in the face to veteran players if they would have done one simple thing we have been asking for. a remove all button for mods. i really think if cg would do this one thing that we have been asking for, the game would be better for everyone. but here we are still feeling overlooked when we brought the game to where it is not just cg