Casual Player going a little less casual

Prev1
Hello there...

Right ive been playing swgoh for about 6months and primarily used it to while away the boredom of my train commute. But now ive got hooked! Im F2P with the occasional couple of quid here and there. My problem is ive got some high level characters BF, JC, CWC, Mace and Ahsoka all 79/80 with gear 8-10. obviously the synergy here is non existent. i love the ships side of the game and have cracked the top 40 today. i have all the galactic republic ships and use Mace as my capital.

But where do i go from here? I dont have any powerful teams like Pheonix Squadron or Those pesky night sisters. and just seem to be ploughing my resources in to ships and a not very synergistic team!!

you're my only hope...

my profile link https://swgoh.gg/u/erosive/

Replies

• You answered your own question. Start farming phoenix, then empire/CLS rebels(old ben, Leia, st Han, farmboy luke and r2). As a Side project farm scoundrels foe heists.
    Then work first order for bb8 and Finn, scavenger Rey, veteran smuggler Han and chewie for Jedi rey
  • Is there any hope for the squad i have at the moment as i struggle with galactic war i used to get to node 8/9 but im lucky if i get passed 5 now since the update.
  • Kai_Mulai
    683 posts Member
    Matt_Windu wrote: »
    Is there any hope for the squad i have at the moment as i struggle with galactic war i used to get to node 8/9 but im lucky if i get passed 5 now since the update.
    The team you’re using for arena is not going to work for anything. You have a good start to your scoundrels for credit heists. But to get past galactic wars and to advance in arena, you need a team with synergy that can deal damage and is resilient.
  • Farm two out of these tree teams first, then do the third -

Phoenix

Empire

Scoundrels

Then come back to us :)
  • Apart from a scoundrel team is there any thing else i could build upon?
  • Empire and Phoenix lol?

You want Empire to get R2 who is wonderful and you need him for CLS. Plus they are very good in Arena right now.

You want Phoenix to get Thrawn. And most other parts of the game.
  • NicWester
    8928 posts Member
    Apart from a scoundrel team is there any thing else i could build upon?

Phoenix Squad is a great early team to build, it's useful in a lot of areas of the game--several events, raids, territory battles and wars, ships, etc--and while it's rarely the BEST team for anything (except for getting Thrawn, where it's the ONLY team, lol) it's almost always a GOOD team for everything.

Then scoundrels for heists--maybe focus on Bounty Hunters specifically, since they're all scoundrels and they'll also eventually allow you to do Galactic Bounty events for free shards of obnoxious-to-farm characters, but that's down the line a ways.

My personal opinion, though, is that you should pick a character that you like for whatever reason--whether it's because they're good in the game, they're your personal favorite from a movie, or you just like the look of them, whatever reason is fine--and build a team around them. That team will very possibly not be very good. BUT it will mean something to you, and you're going to get more enjoyment out of working on that little side project than anything else, and since games are all about enjoyment.....

Good luck!
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • General Kenobi...

You are a bold one.
  • Matt_Windu wrote: »
    Is there any hope for the squad i have at the moment as i struggle with galactic war i used to get to node 8/9 but im lucky if i get passed 5 now since the update.
    btw. i didnt find this out at first but on chance as i died in gw and got **** of and left! it reset battle so none of your guys die :) that have saved my team a ton of times, brining in other heroes or just having another try with better tactics or rng.
  • crzydroid
    7283 posts Moderator
    Stop gearing Clone Wars Chewie IMMEDIATELY.
  • Rebmes
    376 posts Member
    I always felt my rebels were a solid start, and all accessible. I'm in a super old shard and get away with Commander Luke (L) / Leia / ST Han / Old Ben / R2, maintaining top 100. Getting harder in the Sith meta, but this team covers all the bases, and the characters are easy to get. You can always substitute a couple of them with Biggs / Wedge, early on.

At this point in the game, pick your Empire characters carefully, for the R2 legendary - you'll need 5, but you have a lot more options than the rest of us did when R2 first came out. Imperial troopers make a very powerful team nowadays, and if you can acquire them, they'll serve you well beyond just getting R2.
  • Is chewie not a particularly good toon then? Ive started to farm phoenix and have Kanan at 4 star but then the rest at 6 shards so quite a way off yet! how long is the grind? days weeks months? im a daily player but like i said have no luck with galactic war at the moment, didnt even break through node 5 today haha! ive got most of the ships i have to at least 6 stars so will be a ble to dedicate all resources to them soon enough!

As for empire i have Vader at 70 g8, Moff 60 g7, TFP 61 g7, RG 52 g6 and Snowtrooper 49 g6. also ive unlocked ISC but thats it lvl1 g1.

So many teams, so few crystals...
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    CWC is ok as a filler in your scoundrel team for credit heists. That's about it. He used to be ok in some of the very first TM manipulation teams for Rancor raids almost 2 years ago, but that day has long passed.

In squad arena, you will probably have more success with your empire toons, if you develop them. Vader, TFP and Tarkin form a great base for a team. With EP as leader and Thrawn in the mix you could climb fairly high (not all the way to the top, though). The advantage is that several of them are piloting great ships as well. Which brings me to my actual point:

Since your best chance to increase your crystal income currently is fleet arena, I would focus most resources on improving ships and pilots. If you enter top—20 (or even top—10) you will earn great amounts of crystals. Keep building the pilots that you use and that work for you. At the same time keep farming Biggs, FOTP and Millenium Falcon from hard nodes. That will not conflict with farming Phoenix etc. as others already suggested above.
  • My pilots are JC, CSP1, Ashoka, Fives,Plo Koon and Unmasked Kylo. Apart from kylo they are 7* or very near to it and the ships are all nearly 6* and the ARC170 nearly 7* Jc Plo and Ashoka as the starting 3. With Mace as my capitalat lvl 75. Im 34th but think im capped out atm as theres no one higher with a galactic team ill see tomo if i can creep up the rankings. My problem is do i finish these off to 7* after grinding for so long or stop and go pheonix/rebels/empire.

https://swgoh.gg/u/erosive/
  • Ahh dammit now i want the kessel run Falcon...
  • At what star level and gear level do pheonix become useful? They are all between 50-60 but seem pretty weak when ever i use em against weakish teams in gw. Thanks for everyones help up to rhis point been farming all the tie pilots aswell so i can get 5star executrix.
  • Ill give you the same advice someone in my Guild gave me. I too have been playing for 6-8 months or so and in the past 2 weeks I've unlocked BB8 6*, Yoda 6*, Raid Han and am about to unlock R2 and CLS.

I followed the advice I was given by someone who just obtained JTR and he told me to focus on groups to go after those legendary toons. A) get your Rebel squad ready (Leia, STHan, Farm Boy, Obi Wan) to go after Palpatine; B) Get your Empire squad 7* (Vader, Palp, etc) to go after R2. Then, you'll be ready for CLS.

Between events you can find the time to farm First Order for BB8. Jedi are still kind of weak even tho the revamped Yoda is awesome, so take your time on that one. Jedi shards just fell in my lap for me and took minimal effort.

I spent maybe $10 on this game in 8 months.
  • Costino1 wrote: »
    I followed the advice I was given by someone who just obtained JTR and he told me to focus on groups to go after those legendary toons.

The guys a genius lol! :smiley:

• Scoundrels & Phoenix then Empire would be my vote too.
    If you are going to ignore and are dead set on using your existing characters then Jedi I guess...but you won’t fly up the arena!
    You would need JKA, QGJ and replace JC with Luminara or better still Barris - then wait for GMY event coming round again.

QGJ(l), JKA,Ahsoka,Ezra,Luminara/Barris

Improved vastly by GMY and Hermit Yoda.

Or better still just do Phoenix, Scoundrels and Empire
  • Matt_Windu wrote: »
    Hello there...

Right ive been playing swgoh for about 6months and primarily used it to while away the boredom of my train commute. But now ive got hooked! Im F2P with the occasional couple of quid here and there. My problem is ive got some high level characters BF, JC, CWC, Mace and Ahsoka all 79/80 with gear 8-10. obviously the synergy here is non existent. i love the ships side of the game and have cracked the top 40 today. i have all the galactic republic ships and use Mace as my capital.

But where do i go from here? I dont have any powerful teams like Pheonix Squadron or Those pesky night sisters. and just seem to be ploughing my resources in to ships and a not very synergistic team!!

you're my only hope...

my profile link https://swgoh.gg/u/erosive/

You had a bad start and from my point of view, u are pretty much doomed in arena, unless u put in a heck lot of work (and money).

I didnt check your fleet, but if u “invested” everything in your fleet and are still below top 10 then yea that’s another red flag.

Given the above, if u wanna spend money i’d suggest you restart entirely.

Fleet is real easy to entrench yourself in top spot if you know how to. Mace is a bad investment - tarkin is great while ackbar is decent and unlocks chimaera. If you want a shortcut, tarkin is your pick as he can be used in an empire squad.

For arena, phoenix is a good starting team and you will need it for EP and thrawn. After which, u will need vader, and TFP is a cheap investment too. With these and tarkin, u effectively invested in 4 toons that double up as pilots/fleetcomms.

Nightsisters arent important for arena anymore but u should keep them on farm just for p4 HSR.

In this game, efficiency is key to outfarming others. Read the forums and see all the trends of events and u will understand what you have to farm next
  • ZCD_9915
    356 posts Member
    Pheonix then Empire. Pheonix will get you Palpatine and Thrawn. Then use Empire to get r2, then r2 to get CLS.
  • uhdea
    49 posts Member
    edited June 2018
    Hi matt, welcome to the group! I am a Star Wars a-holic too!

So best advice since I'm guessing you are way behind in your shard- start over. You'll get placed into a new shard and wont have to compete against people who are massively more powerful than you. This is the fastest way to get up the teams you want, but I completely get not wanting to lose all that progress so the good news is that you can work your way up in the arena ranks, but it will not be overnight (probably won't happen until you can get up palpatine and thrawn).

I actually created a chart for new players of what to farm and where, its similiar to a lot of the popular new player guides but I dislike how they organized farming by 'tiers' instead of source (i.e. "farm this team" vs "farm this toon, then this one, then this one in cantina) since you will gather shards at different rates depending on the source. Be sure to only use your crystals to refresh cantina energy
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1flsMD3qCFccLk6n-PKCZ_L-GVGMta02GTNBmL6m0S5c/edit?usp=sharing
    May the force be with you!
    Post edited by uhdea on
  • Phoenix is weak on attacks, but they're designed to last forever ("Rise Together"). Empire (High Command or Troops) can put a hurtin' on your opponent. Scoundrels (especially Bounty Hunters) boost each other, and get you (obviously) valuable credits in Credit Heist.
    Plus, there's lots of pilots for Fleet.

Work on a synergy team, any of them. I would suggest Phoenix and Bounty Hunters. It takes millions of credits to advance toons past "meh" stage, so Credit Heists suddenly become very important.

Find a faction whose interactions (or animations) you like, and focus on them. Build them up. And keep an eye on who you want to advance next.

Most of all: have fun! You're playing a Star Wars game!
  • uhdea wrote: »

So best advice since I'm guessing you are way behind in your shard- start over. You'll get placed into a new shard and wont have to compete against people who are massively more powerful than you. This is the fastest way to get up the teams you want, but I completely get not wanting to lose all that progress so the good news is that you can work your way up in the arena ranks, but it will not be overnight (probably won't happen until you can get up palpatine and thrawn).

I actually created a chart for new players of what to farm and where, its similiar to a lot of the popular new player guides but I dislike how they organized farming by 'tiers' instead of source (i.e. "farm this team" vs "farm this toon, then this one, then this one in cantina) since you will gather shards at different rates depending on the source. Be sure to only use your crystals to refresh cantina energy
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1flsMD3qCFccLk6n-PKCZ_L-GVGMta02GTNBmL6m0S5c/edit?usp=sharing

I’ve never understand farming Jawa early as a FTP.....I’m top 100 Arena, Top 40 Fleet (so nothing amazing) - I did Phoenix, Scoundrels, Empire —> Mod Challenges it’s easy to unlock Health, Defence, CChance, Potency and Tenacity early on. I’d argue between Health, Potency and CC you are very solid.

Are Jawa’s (CD mods) really a sensible diversion? Especially given how far behind he is?
  • uhdea
    49 posts Member
    uhdea wrote: »

I’ve never understand farming Jawa early as a FTP.....I’m top 100 Arena, Top 40 Fleet (so nothing amazing) - I did Phoenix, Scoundrels, Empire —> Mod Challenges it’s easy to unlock Health, Defence, CChance, Potency and Tenacity early on. I’d argue between Health, Potency and CC you are very solid.

Are Jawa’s (CD mods) really a sensible diversion? Especially given how far behind he is?

If you look at my guide (I edited it a little to make it more clear and to prep for chimera event) farming jawas will not delay his major advancement (phoenix > empire > FO > CLS > JTR), but sets him up to be able to optimize modding once his CLS/JTR event teams are set up.
  • Thanks for the guide uhdea! My Pheonix team are coming along i have hera, chopper and kanan at 5*g7, ezra 4*g8 and zeb stuck on 3*g7 and all lvl 60.

Im loath to start again tbh. I think my problem early on was leveling and gearing everyone/ships to the same level and not focusing on one team.

Still findin GW impossible cant rarely beat node 6 these days which makes zeb a real slow farm!

Thanks for all the advice people!
  • BubbaFett
    3311 posts Member
    Thanks for the guide uhdea! My Pheonix team are coming along i have hera, chopper and kanan at 5*g7, ezra 4*g8 and zeb stuck on 3*g7 and all lvl 60.

Im loath to start again tbh. I think my problem early on was leveling and gearing everyone/ships to the same level and not focusing on one team.

Still findin GW impossible cant rarely beat node 6 these days which makes zeb a real slow farm!

Glad to hear you stuck with it..... I won't give you advice, since it seems you are on the right track, but I will give you encouragement..... Once that Phoenix team is gear 8/9 7*, you will progress quickly.... Eventually, after you hit level 80, new things begin to open for you and younger more and more credits and ability mats, Zetas and omegas...... Keep up the good work....
  • uhdea
    49 posts Member
    edited July 2018
    Thanks for the guide uhdea! My Pheonix team are coming along i have hera, chopper and kanan at 5*g7, ezra 4*g8 and zeb stuck on 3*g7 and all lvl 60.

I completely understanding not wanting to start over (no one likes wasting progress). Honestly it may take you a bit longer but hey as long as you are having fun thats what matters. If you can get zeb and ezra up to 5* by mid month then you can unlock palp and thrawn for your empire team, which will help you out greatly.

GW enemy teams are based on 2 factors- the power of people in your shard (if you are behind its going to be tough!) and your strongest team you have competed in arena with. If a GW battle isn't going your way, retreat and try again. RNG (random number generator... i.e. luck) plays a large part in battles early on, and you can sacrifice another team or character to soak up enemy special attacks and give you a leg up when you attack with your main team after. I relied on this almost daily with phoenix for at least the final node.

• Kai_Mulai
    683 posts Member
    uhdea wrote: »
    GW enemy teams are based on 2 factors- the power of people in your shard (if you are behind its going to be tough!) and your strongest team you have competed in arena with. If a GW battle isn't going your way, retreat and try again. RNG (random number generator... i.e. luck) plays a large part in battles early on, and you can sacrifice another team or character to soak up enemy special attacks and give you a leg up when you attack with your main team after. I relied on this almost daily with phoenix for at least the final node.

I’m fairly certain that galactic war difficulty has nothing to do with arena. It’s based on the combined power of the 5 most powerful characters you have. Basically, the game expects you to always be using your most powerful characters for galactic war, and the AI doesn’t understand synergy. So the faster you can ready a team with synergy that is at or close to your most powerful, the faster you will do well in galactic war.
  • Had a crackin couple of days on GW using the retreat method! Made it to node 11 and 9 which i have only done once before!

Pheonix are a great back up team for it. In regards to the palp event will i be ok without lvl 15 mods to open him on 5 stars?