How does one get crazy secondary speed mods

Prev13
jjkriv
429 posts Member
I faced someone in arena that had 2,TWO!! ..24 speed secondaries off speed primary,thats just crazy!

Replies

• jjkriv wrote: »
    I faced someone in arena that had 2,TWO!! ..24 speed secondaries off speed primary,thats just crazy!

Farm them non stop.

Anyone with two 24 speed mods also had some major luck. Most Krakens don't have two mods with secondary speed that high.
  • Purple and gold speed secondary mods farm them, accept that most wont get you much, but eventually you'll get a nice one or two
  • BrtStlnd
    1094 posts Member
    How do you get spectacular mods?

You have to level hundreds of garbage mods to find ones that upgrade speed.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Focus on mod farming. It just takes time.

Roll the dice many times, eventually you will get yahtzee.
  • You get good mods, speed or otherwise, by paying for them.

Either with time, or with money.
  • Vendi1983
    5023 posts Member
    You get good mods, speed or otherwise, by paying for them.

However; you could buy a nearly $4 million gold Mod from the store that shows +3 speed at LVL 1 and yet it stays at +3 all the way to LVL 15. It's a total crepe-shoot.

Pure luck on how high it will go.
  • TVF
    36591 posts Member
    Yep, it's just luck/time. Money isn't terribly relevant other than it can buy you more rolls of the dice.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Vendi1983 wrote: »

However; you could buy a nearly $4 million gold Mod from the store that shows +3 speed at LVL 1 and yet it stays at +3 all the way to LVL 15. It's a total crepe-shoot.

I've bought so many mods with speed secondaries from the mod store that only rolled speed once that I'm beginning to become one of those crazy conspiracy theorists. Mods are the most frustrating part of this game, IMO.

but yes, farm often, buy from mod store, and hope you get super lucky.
  • VonZant
    3843 posts Member
    Yeah in last week Ive bought 2 4M gold mods from store with 5 speed secondary and both rolled speed zero more times. Very frustrating.
  • MoBlaq
    582 posts Member
    Is there a trick on how you level them? The mods that is?
  • VonZant
    3843 posts Member
    Sacrifice a Gundark, a Rancor and a Dug at the Sith Temple on Malachor.

Sadly, Im fresh outta Gundarks.
  • Naraic
    2243 posts Member
    MoBlaq wrote: »

Well if you want a 24 speed mod you need to only level up gold mods with a speed secondary and it needs to role speed 4 times.
  • Poxx
    2288 posts Member

When speed bumps up, u get between +3 and +6. Starting secondary speed is between 3 and 5. A purple mod w/ 4 secondary speed, even if speed hits all 3x, could yield u as low as +13 total...or as high as +22.

There is no secret to leveling them tho. Lvl by lvl or all 15 at once...no difference or change in odds for the final outcome.

I have noticed 1 thing...at least for me. If I keep less than 3 mil available, it seems I see purple and gold 5* mods available for credits more often. Then, I go to squad arena, redeem tokens for a total of 1.6 mil and buy that mod.

Is it the AI enticing me to spend $$ by offering me better mods it knows I can't afford atm ? Maybe. Sure seems that way. This is pure conjecture and opinion, but it seems real enuf 2 me.
  • Trystan_Spyder
    1300 posts Member
    edited June 2018

Get a gold 5* mod with a speed secondary. Upgrade it to 3.
    If it rolls speed, upgrade it to 6.
    If it rolls speed twice, upgrade it to 9.
    If you've gotten lucky and gotten 3 speed rolls, upgrade it to 12

If it rolled speed all FOUR times, congrats. You've got an uber mod.
    Post edited by Trystan_Spyder on
    Ally Code 766-465-766 swgoh.gg/u/trystansr/collection/
  • BrtStlnd
    1094 posts Member

Get a gold 5* mod with a speed secondary. Upgrade it to 3. If it doesn't increase speed, throw it away.
    If it rolls speed, upgrade it to 6. If it doesn't increase speed again, throw it away.
    If it rolls speed twice, upgrade it to 9. If it doesn't roll speed a third time, throw it away,
    If you've gotten lucky and gotten 3 speed rolls, upgrade it to 12. If you don't win the lotto and get another speed increase, throw it away.

You will throw away a lot of 12-18 speed mods if you follow this advice.
  • MoBlaq wrote: »

Get a gold 5* mod with a speed secondary. Upgrade it to 3. If it doesn't increase speed, throw it away.
    If it rolls speed, upgrade it to 6. If it doesn't increase speed again, throw it away.
    If it rolls speed twice, upgrade it to 9. If it doesn't roll speed a third time, throw it away,
    If you've gotten lucky and gotten 3 speed rolls, upgrade it to 12. If you don't win the lotto and get another speed increase, throw it away.

This is...terrible advice. Mods that only upgrade speed 1-3 times are still useful. Furthermore, if you threw away a gold mod with speed secondary after not upgrading at level 3, you could miss out on a +23 speed mod.
  • TVF
    36591 posts Member
    I don't think it was meant as advice but as a commentary on how one gets crazy secondary speed mods.

But unfortunately it's written like advice. Hopefully no one takes it.
  • BrtStlnd wrote: »

You sure would. Might just want to stop leveling once you miss a speed increase. Or level it up anyways. Who knows.
  • TVF
    36591 posts Member
    BrtStlnd wrote: »

You sure would. Might just want to stop leveling once you miss a speed increase. Or level it up anyways. Who knows.

What.
  • BrtStlnd
    1094 posts Member
    BrtStlnd wrote: »

What you are saying is terrible advice for someone looking to build a fast mod collection.

I’m saying it’s a bad idea to throw away 12-18 speed mods and you apparently are saying it is a good idea to do this.

OP, don’t follow this advice.
  • TVF wrote: »
    I don't think it was meant as advice but as a commentary on how one gets crazy secondary speed mods.

But unfortunately it's written like advice. Hopefully no one takes it.

@TVF gets it. I guess you could take "throw away" literally and sell it. That'd be a bad idea, but I guess you'd have quite an elite collection if you only kept those mods.

I meant it more in the sense that you stop working on them if they miss a roll, but as others have pointed out just because a mod doesn't roll speed 4 times doesn't make it worthless.
  • TVF
    36591 posts Member
    I got it but I think you said it extremely poorly, if you haven't noticed yet.
  • Oh, I noticed. Edited for, erm, clarity? So people don't actually follow the advice of some random guy on a message board into oblivion?
  • TVF
    36591 posts Member
    edited June 2018
    So people don't actually follow the advice of some random guy on a message board into oblivion?

You must be new to the internet.
  • TVF wrote: »

You must be new to the internet.

Oh, @TVF , sometimes I wish I was.
  • Rebel_yell wrote: »
    Vendi1983 wrote: »

I've bought so many mods with speed secondaries from the mod store that only rolled speed once that I'm beginning to become one of those crazy conspiracy theorists. Mods are the most frustrating part of this game, IMO.

but yes, farm often, buy from mod store, and hope you get super lucky.

Well one speed bump is the most probably outcome so its not surprising you see it the most.

The chances of hitting 20+ is maybe 5% so if you upgraded 30 gold speed mods and didn't hit a single 20 it wouldn't be exceptionally unlucky.

• jjkriv
    429 posts Member
    Even finding a gold speed secondary is tough,everytime i get 1 out of the shop i get burned with it staying at 5 or get 1 spd bump.
  • Sorry for the necro, but I feel this is an appropriate thread to raise the discussion, and is the most recent thread that holds perfect relevance.
    Doesn't that mean the top 200 or so in Arena got there based purely on luck? I can't say I appreciate that so much is luck-based. I mean, I guess there is always the RNJesus to play you on defense, but ... as I look through top ranks in my shard, they are effectively teams I am very close to forming (add one gear level, or even just a couple pieces), but the speed mods on them are crazy. So to win at arena, you do all I've done, then just pray for mod luck and nothing more to climb to the higher ranks, nothing to do with strategy or character building anymore? Seems kind of ****. Granted I have a little more gearing to do, but I am about stalled out at 500 in my arena shard, I figure once I G12 everyone, I can near the 200 mark, but from there, it's PURE LUCK on mods. Even now, I count my own luck as I take on teams that are all G12 zetas, where I'm a little short of that, but I have some really decent speed on my Thrawn, TFP, and Vader, and tend to be able to fracture and ability block, then comes EP with the stun, before they can do too much. ONLY time I lose if I'm outspeeded or get horrible RNGon those near mirror matches. I can wipe out most nightsister teams without bad RNG. Bastila with a G12 crew is about where I slow down. And this is at 500! If there is a better place for this, or it's worth starting a new thread on this, feel free to kindly suggest it, but as this thread discussed all the luck involved with speed, and speed wins matches so much of the time, I thought it fit here well enough.

Maybe I'm just having a mid-game crisis, but about six months ago I started focusing more on Arena, and moved from around 1800 to 500. I haven't gotten the sub-500 rewards yet, I tend to fall to around 600 on defense, but I'm getting close enough to taste that next tier, and am trying to determine at what point Arena rankings are just more end game, and what is luck, and does strategy and character building really just go out the window at a certain point? Thoughts?

tl;dr: Are Arena rankings, based so much on speed, really just luck at a certain point, and what level ranking do you think that begins at?
  • enlguy wrote: »
    tl;dr: Are Arena rankings, based so much on speed, really just luck at a certain point, and what level ranking do you think that begins at?

There may be some luck in there. It's more likely that most of those folks made their own luck by spending time and resources on mod farming.

I have pretty mediocre mods in my shard and I spent six months farming mods last year (full focus every other month) where I'd use all my Cantina/Mod energy plus two refreshes of each (once Mod energy was introduced, just Cantina energy before that) on mods and slicing materials. Most of those with better mods than me spent more time and resources on mods.

More investment means a higher probability of better mods.
  • If you look at the mods here, on the right of the stat is a number like

speed 22 (5)

The far right number tells you how many times that stat rolled.

https://swgoh.gg/p/267725337/mods/?sort=secondary_stat_5&sort_direction=desc