How does one get crazy secondary speed mods

13Next

Replies

• CoastalJames
    2971 posts Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Nikoms565 wrote: »
    Honestly, the answer is farm, upgrade and slice....continuously. 99.99999% of the time your reaction will be:

nph-dissapoint.gif

Then a couple of times in several years...

giphy.gif

Dis.

There is no secret to it.
  • Options
    mlb1399 wrote: »
    Jarvind wrote: »
    BrtStlnd wrote: »
    Luck.

It’s not luck. I spent hundreds of millions of credits and ship currency on mods that didn’t level speed and got a couple dozen gems in the group.

You have to throw resources at it until the percentages work out in your favor.

Which is what luck is.

Luck is getting a 25 speed secondary on your 1st, 5th or 10th mod. Not on your 500th purchase of a 3.91m credit mod from the store.

I’m saying the answer to the original question is to invest tons of resources into mod farming.

I mean you're not wrong, I was just saying luck is the ultimate deciding factor. You can't win the lottery if you don't buy a ticket, of course, but even if you buy a million tickets you can still lose.

Case in point, I've been pretty steadily farming and slicing mods for 6 months and I still have yet to acquire a single mod with over 20 speed. I think my highest is an 18.

It sthe law of large numbers. While you’ve spent some resources on mods maybe not to the extent of the ohher poster and definitely me. People will catch a hot streak and attribute luck when it’s really the probabilities playing out over time with the proper number of exposures.

No matter how you put it, it's luck. I have since mods came out focused on them. I have not been lucky enough to get any over 22. You have not had many people spend more time on mods than I do. It's luck.

It's Luck.

It's Luck.

It's Luck.

It's Luck.

It's Luck.

It's Luck.

It's Luck.

It's Luck.

No matter what you think your math doesn't jold up if it dores show me the math.

Each 20+ mod takes about $400-$600. How much have you spent on them? Base farming didnt work well prior to slicing.

Lol what?
    https://swgoh.gg/u/ionastarbound/
    Discord: Iona Starbound#5299
  • Options
    Luck.

It’s not luck. I spent hundreds of millions of credits and ship currency on mods that didn’t level speed and got a couple dozen gems in the group.

Which is what luck is.

Luck is getting a 25 speed secondary on your 1st, 5th or 10th mod. Not on your 500th purchase of a 3.91m credit mod from the store.

I’m saying the answer to the original question is to invest tons of resources into mod farming.

I mean you're not wrong, I was just saying luck is the ultimate deciding factor. You can't win the lottery if you don't buy a ticket, of course, but even if you buy a million tickets you can still lose.

Case in point, I've been pretty steadily farming and slicing mods for 6 months and I still have yet to acquire a single mod with over 20 speed. I think my highest is an 18.

It sthe law of large numbers. While you’ve spent some resources on mods maybe not to the extent of the ohher poster and definitely me. People will catch a hot streak and attribute luck when it’s really the probabilities playing out over time with the proper number of exposures.

No matter how you put it, it's luck. I have since mods came out focused on them. I have not been lucky enough to get any over 22. You have not had many people spend more time on mods than I do. It's luck.

It's Luck.

It's Luck.

It's Luck.

It's Luck.

It's Luck.

It's Luck.

It's Luck.

It's Luck.

No matter what you think your math doesn't jold up if it dores show me the math.

Each 20+ mod takes about $400-$600. How much have you spent on them? Base farming didnt work well prior to slicing.

Where on earth did you get this figure? I didn’t spend any cash on mods at all... just credit heist and ship currency, which you get in the game completely ftp.
  • TVF
    36600 posts Member
    Options
    Look I spend money and I don't get anything out of it unless everyone knows it!
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Val_Galahadred
    442 posts Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Nevermind. Didn't notice at first I was responding to a post from last summer.

• Options
    Luck.

Which is what luck is.

It's Luck.

It's Luck.

It's Luck.

It's Luck.

It's Luck.

It's Luck.

It's Luck.

It's Luck.

Where on earth did you get this figure? I didn’t spend any cash on mods at all... just credit heist and ship currency, which you get in the game completely ftp.

Because I’ve spent and tracked this from time to time.
  • Options
    Legend91 wrote: »
    enlguy wrote: »
    tl;dr: Are Arena rankings, based so much on speed, really just luck at a certain point

No.
    Rock doesn't beat sciccors no matter how much speed your rock has.

Umm... Paper maybe? Pretty sure rock beats scissors every time. ;). I guess I'm not referring to obvious matchups like putting a fast 7* Ewok Scout against a slower CLS, though. As a lot of these comments are showing, fast speed is total luck (I just splurged on my first non-farmed mod the other day cause it was gold with speed secondary, and rolled no more speed on it :/). Speed DOES decide a lot of these matches, I think to say it doesn't is a bit naive. When my 228 Thrawn battles a 284 Thrawn, the tide of the match is definitely affected.
  • Options
    Luck.

That sounds a lot like luck to me. Bad luck, maybe, but luck.
  • Options
    enlguy wrote: »
    Sorry for the necro, but I feel this is an appropriate thread to raise the discussion, and is the most recent thread that holds perfect relevance.
    Doesn't that mean the top 200 or so in Arena got there based purely on luck? I can't say I appreciate that so much is luck-based. I mean, I guess there is always the RNJesus to play you on defense, but ... as I look through top ranks in my shard, they are effectively teams I am very close to forming (add one gear level, or even just a couple pieces), but the speed mods on them are crazy. So to win at arena, you do all I've done, then just pray for mod luck and nothing more to climb to the higher ranks, nothing to do with strategy or character building anymore? Seems kind of ****. Granted I have a little more gearing to do, but I am about stalled out at 500 in my arena shard, I figure once I G12 everyone, I can near the 200 mark, but from there, it's PURE LUCK on mods. Even now, I count my own luck as I take on teams that are all G12 zetas, where I'm a little short of that, but I have some really decent speed on my Thrawn, TFP, and Vader, and tend to be able to fracture and ability block, then comes EP with the stun, before they can do too much. ONLY time I lose if I'm outspeeded or get horrible RNGon those near mirror matches. I can wipe out most nightsister teams without bad RNG. Bastila with a G12 crew is about where I slow down. And this is at 500! If there is a better place for this, or it's worth starting a new thread on this, feel free to kindly suggest it, but as this thread discussed all the luck involved with speed, and speed wins matches so much of the time, I thought it fit here well enough.

Maybe I'm just having a mid-game crisis, but about six months ago I started focusing more on Arena, and moved from around 1800 to 500. I haven't gotten the sub-500 rewards yet, I tend to fall to around 600 on defense, but I'm getting close enough to taste that next tier, and am trying to determine at what point Arena rankings are just more end game, and what is luck, and does strategy and character building really just go out the window at a certain point? Thoughts?

tl;dr: Are Arena rankings, based so much on speed, really just luck at a certain point, and what level ranking do you think that begins at?

The problem is not your mods. Your problem is you’re stuck in a rut. No reason you can’t get to 100 except you choosing to not do it.
    By that I mean: save up a lot of crystals, and pay for Arena refreshes for 3 days in a row. 20 battles per day. You should be able to get to 100.

But the other problem is probably your team. You mention Vader, TFP and Thrawn. Who’s the rest of your team? If you’re using Vader or Thrawn as lead: that’s your other problem. I would attack a Vader lead 6 ways to Sunday. Mods on that team would not matter to me. Even outmoded and outgeared most people can destroy that team.

Hmmm... I disagree as even with the 5 free battles, I tend to wall by 400. And that prompted the question, because the biggest difference I see is in toon speed. ZzEP lead with Sion in the fifth slot. My TFP is G11, 226 speed, and can one shot 20k damage plus the constant foresight, so it's not a weak link.
  • Options
    So I guess what I'm seeing is that, yes, there is a fair amount of luck (even if you play your resources to the law of odds), and that speed is going to make a big impact. At what rank do you think it really starts being a difference between those who have been farming mods a few months and those who have been farming mods a few years?
  • BrtStlnd
    1094 posts Member
    Options
    Luck.

Which is what luck is.

It's Luck.

It's Luck.

It's Luck.

It's Luck.

It's Luck.

It's Luck.

It's Luck.

It's Luck.

Well by your estimate, I would have spent at least $6000 on mods then... which exceeds the actual total of $0.00 by quite a bit.
  • TVF
    36600 posts Member
    Options
    Luck.

Which is what luck is.

It's Luck.

It's Luck.

It's Luck.

It's Luck.

It's Luck.

It's Luck.

It's Luck.

It's Luck.

Your personal spending on mods doesn't apply to anyone else.
  • Options
    Im actually a dolphin and never spend some money on mods - only on cantina refreshes and some gear. All of my good speed mods are bought with credits from the mod store or sliced. Dont underestimate the slicing...look for these juicy blue/purple mods with good speed mods on them and try to upgrade them...sure ull fail the most - but sometimes u get a hit on speed...i just recently sliced a blue health mod with 3 speed rolls (12 speed) to gold with 5 speed rolls (21 speed) (check out my bb8 and youll find that mod). Of course this is luck dependent. The main thing is - be patient - keep going - keep slicing - keep buying purple/golden mods from mod store - and youll definetly get your high speed mods ;)

https://swgoh.gg/p/296582687/ Heres my swgoh.gg link to show you some proof. I only got 1,4 mil GM - but i already have a huge amount of good speed mods (most of them are 4 times speed roll second good offensive roll - have a look on my yoda for example). Not that many 20+ mods - but even mediocre mods with 15 speed ~ are really nice to have, especially for TW and GA, since you need to equip a wide range of teams with decent speed mods.

And again! Spending $$$ isnt necessary and not really usefull for mods....mods are just a thing of smartness and time investment ;) and ofc credits.

Hope this helps ya.
  • Options
    Cassius97 wrote: »
    jjkriv wrote: »
    I faced someone in arena that had 2,TWO!! ..24 speed secondaries off speed primary,thats just crazy!

Farm them non stop.

Anyone with two 24 speed mods also had some major luck. Most Krakens don't have two mods with secondary speed that high.

I’ve got 9

Yeah, it's a lot easier to acquire high speed mods now after they made all the changes to mods.

My comment was from before slicing and dedicated mod energy. haha.
  • Options
    Mods have odds (that rhyme, no less) of having different speed secondaries, and the more mods you get, the better your chances that they will have the ones you are looking for.

Also, slicing mods with good speed secondaries can make them into great speed secondaries.

Higher ranked players in arena are more likely to have both spent money on the game and focused on mods. While focusing on mods is free, it is just as important as gear and abilities to determine which teams win more.
  • TVF
    36600 posts Member
    Options
    Kai_Mulai wrote: »
    Mods have odds (that rhyme, no less) of having different speed secondaries, and the more mods you get, the better your chances that they will have the ones you are looking for.

Also, slicing mods with good speed secondaries can make them into great speed secondaries.

Higher ranked players in arena are more likely to have both spent money on the game and focused on mods. While focusing on mods is free, it is just as important as gear and abilities to determine which teams win more.

Generally true, although spenders can spend more on mod energy refreshes and get more bites at the apple.
  • Options
    The guy is right, 12-15speed moods won't take you anywhere. I applied his system. Getting my first 20speed mods that way.
  • Options
    I don’t even buy mods from the store anymore. Farm, farm, farm, farm, farm. Sell 99% of them. Repeat.

Funny ... I don't farm mods at all anymore. I only buy from the store and get the rest from events. I spend my mod energy only on slicing materials.

• Options
    I uprade ALL my mom's Til I can at least see what secondary stats they have. Most people prob throw away their best mods never seeing the stats that they were farming for. It costs about 35k for a grey 5 star.
    If speed comes up...
    A) in the first or second slot (these slots increase more often when slicing I believe...)
    B) Speed with a (1) next to it is equal to or higher than about 6 or 7 (this means if one of your increases lands on speed it's going to increase by THAT much. So 6 is *that* particular mod's 'base' speed statistic. As opposed to 3 or 4 which even if you get the (2) or (3) still isn't very much gained...
    C) you upgrade past the point where stats increase ONCE and that first (2) lands on the speed statistic
    If any of these factors ARE met - that mod is prob 'worth' upgrading to 15 and slicing to gold even if you don't have any too to attach it to yet. I have tons of 15 and even a handful of gold 15s just in my inventory. Solid investments and at least you know you didn't sell a grey mod which *had* 25 speed for 9500 cred because you never saw the secondary stats at all.....
  • Options
    B) - I typed *B)* stupid emojis
  • TVF
    36600 posts Member
    Options
    I uprade ALL my mom's

I love autocorrect.
  • KyJoe_Cool
    1873 posts Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    TVF wrote: »
    I uprade ALL my mom's

I love autocorrect.

Lol. Yeah... Autocorrect can go straight to he'll. :smirk:

Also. Per OP's question...

1. Farm mods
    2. Level up mods
    3. Slice mods
    4. Enjoy your high speed mods :)

Edit: Also. Just noticed age of the thread... This thread is from last year. Almost a year ago. Why revive it. lol. :lol:
    Massive SWGOH Community On Discord - https://discord.gg/QWvTUBZ
  • Options
    04dp5bvjy8qf.jpg. Those secondaries are insane. How the...?
  • Options
    FobaBett wrote: »

Necro.
    Also not sure where you found that pic but that's either not real or from when they messed up mods. Leaning towards photoshop since the primary stat is wack too. Every stat looks wrong
  • FobaBett
    6 posts Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Jack1210 wrote: »

Necro.
    Also not sure where you found that pic but that's either not real or from when they messed up mods. Leaning towards photoshop since the primary stat is wack too. Every stat looks wrong

The pic is from a screen shot of one of the characters of my next opponent in Galactic War. Total ****. Must be a dev
  • TVF
    36600 posts Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Necro / irrelevant
  • Options
    Jack1210 wrote: »

Necro.

The pic is from a screen shot of one of the characters of my next opponent in Galactic War. Total ****. Must be a dev

Its been shown many times on the forums that the GW mods are all over the place with secondaries, but they are not real mods.
    Looking for a new guild? Come check out the Underworld Alliance on Discord:https://discord.gg/wvrYb4Q
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    MoBlaq wrote: »
    Is there a trick on how you level them? The mods that is?

There's no trick, no. The only thing is decision on which mods to level/slice and when to stop if the results are not as you wish. You can't change the odds.
  • TVF
    36600 posts Member
    Options
    Necro... Still.