Is 1 hitting characters "fun"?

Prev1
I just don't see how characters being 1 hit is fun, or even fair. Speed dictates the game right now, we all know that. But there is obviously an imbalance at which defensive stats(HP/Defense) are scaling vs attacks. Double Proc FOTP assist means any character in the game can be dead in basically a hit.

Replies

• Not when you're on the receiving end of it :wink:
  • It depends on which character you're one hit killing. I could one hit kill jar jar all day for a week and still have it be fun :smile:
  • 1 hit killing Sid always makes me smile :)
  • J7000
    2059 posts Member
    Yes, dropping an exposed toon at full health is the highlight of my day.
  • In a couple of months, maybe sooner, we'll see the end of this actual crap-meta.
    They will nerf all heavy hitters
  • VIII
    495 posts Member
    Don't really find speed dictates the game anymore, with the new patches done to RG,Asajj etc... , I don't run a speed team and I'm actually staying more stable in arena now, you have to mix it up especially with RG , he's a must have
  • With Rey - oh hell yes.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • Ouchie
    1233 posts Member
    Not as fun as one-hitting two or more chars at the same time!
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    It's not fun and arenas are boring because of it. I want to see variety and strategy. In my opinion, arena is currently broken because of the domination of the combined speed and high damage characters.

This is only funny to me, as I am around 20 on the server (Lucas Gregory) - and you are usually #1 with your crushing Speed/DPS droid team. ;)

ETA: The annoying thing is, I just realized most of the top 10 I have beaten in the past week (not you, of course - droid teams give me fits). Just goes to show that you can dominate in arena if you are free from 5-6 pm and have 50 crystals to blow. lol
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
  • I haven't experienced this yet, on either end. My build is more about a massive number of attacks rather than one huge attack. But if I did one shot one or more people I would do a happy dance. (I am not including when I face opponents who are massively weaker than I am)
  • Heisen
    364 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    The problem is when such huge damage also comes from some of the fastest characters in the game. I have no problem with massive damage being done every once in a while as long as it requires more time and setup to perform. As an example, look at Darth Vader and his culling blade, which requires lots of debuffs to do good damage. On top of that, it can be countered with dispels and it gives the other team time to react.

This is what the games needs, more strategies and counters, not "I-win" buttons from the start.
  • Nikoms565 wrote: »
    It's not fun and arenas are boring because of it. I want to see variety and strategy. In my opinion, arena is currently broken because of the domination of the combined speed and high damage characters.

This is only funny to me, as I am around 20 on the server (Lucas Gregory) - and you are usually #1 with your crushing Speed/DPS droid team. ;)

ETA: The annoying thing is, I just realized most of the top 10 I have beaten in the past week (not you, of course - droid teams give me fits). Just goes to show that you can dominate in arena if you are free from 5-6 pm and have 50 crystals to blow. lol

Haha, just because I dominate in the meta doesn't mean I condone the developers' direction with the game. I'd love to use more than the droids; characters like Lando are amazing and yet can't be competitively used. It's stupid.

No, I get you. And I agree.

• Yes it is.. Yes it is.
  • Imagine yourself as the meatshield product, P2W or whale consumers pay $ to quickly get powerful chracters one-shot you.

It's fun for them.

Actually, droids kind of get it right. They do tons of damage, but are outrageously slow. That's why people (non droid) hated Poe, because he countered the speed issue. I have had to put GS and QGJ in with my droids so they can call an assist and speed the droids up a bit with their crits. But it isn't unusual for the opponents 5 toons to go first with QGJ, Yoda, Dooku, Sid, Rey, Leia and even their GS winning the RNG battle with mine.
  • On the one hit Rey note, it is soul crushingly funny to miss her 3-4 hits ability on a toon that can counter, and have them counter A LOT (Dooku up to 8 times.) :smiley:

Haha, just because I dominate in the meta doesn't mean I condone the developers' direction with the game. I'd love to use more than the droids; characters like Lando are amazing and yet can't be competitively used. It's stupid.

Yes, yes he can. Needs Poe, RG, or ST Han, and if you have Nute Gunray leading... Lando can pretty much be the one guy in a strip club surrounded by every single stripper by "making it rain" over and over with consecutive actions.

It's really quite amazing, and I typically hate those guys for hogging ALL the ladies' attention! ;)
  • I think the chances to Asajj and RG show the devs are trying to slow down the meta a bit. Which is fine. GG isn't super fast and can setup for big hits which is a good approach. They have a few overtuned characters that have high speed and damage which is messing with the overall balance of the game. But the devs have shown they are actively listening to the community and they make balance changes on a regular basis.
  • EM650
    1120 posts Member
    Shanks wrote: »
    Not when you're on the receiving end of it :wink:

Lol Shanks.
  • Foomerang wrote: »
    I think the chances to Asajj and RG show the devs are trying to slow down the meta a bit. Which is fine. GG isn't super fast and can setup for big hits which is a good approach. They have a few overtuned characters that have high speed and damage which is messing with the overall balance of the game. But the devs have shown they are actively listening to the community and they make balance changes on a regular basis.

Wholeheartedly agree with this statement.
  • SinnerWill
    370 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    SinnerWill wrote: »
    Nikoms565 wrote: »

Yes, yes he can. Needs Poe, RG, or ST Han, and if you have Nute Gunray leading... Lando can pretty much be the one guy in a strip club surrounded by every single stripper by "making it rain" over and over with consecutive actions.

It's really quite amazing, and I typically hate those guys for hogging ALL the ladies' attention! ;)

If you're competing at the upper bracket, characters are long dead and the match is decided before Lando ever gets his second aoe off. And if they have a healer like Luminara under QGJ's leadership, all that aoe damage is erased like an etchasketch.

I use him on occasion, he's fun, but that doesn't change the fact he doesn't belong in the current meta just like 80% of the characters in the game.

I suggested having Nute Gunray as leader... In addition to having a viable (speedy or auto-taunt capable) taunter. With Nute as the lead, ALL allies (not just stealth capable characters) gain 25% turn-meter per crit. When Lando "makes it rain" critting 4+ times, he immediately takes the next turn. Then he "makes it rain" with damage bonus. Basically, if everything goes right, the fight pretty much ends on his turn. Trick is to keep him up until his turn. Again, though, you need to have Nute Gunray leading. That's the key.

And wow, I probably just gave out a HUGE tip to some folks...
    @Bubblechomp, hope you can make sense of this, as it makes Lando perfectly viable in the current meta.
  • It's fun to see on occasion. When it becomes "who shoots first, wins" because of it, it's not all that fun. I haven't encountered it yet, but I'm sure I will.
    Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb!
  • SinnerWill
    370 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Yeah it makes sense, and thanks for the tip. I'm currently farming Nute to be my 5th scoundrel for the upcomimg event. With that said, it still requires using an exploit that could be hotfixed at any time.

If what you're saying is true, Nute's leader ability is broken. As such, it's really not an answer. Lando--legitimately, speaking--is not viable in the meta. The game needs major adjustments.

I'm not sure I understand what you're referring to about it being an exploit. His leadership skill is two-fold: stealthed allies gain +x% crit chance; additionally, allies gain +y% turn-meter on crits.

It's similar to other two-fold leader abilities such as Ima's which gives all allies defense boost, and Jedi allies get +x% chance to counter-attack.

It's really not that confusing when you read it. It's functioning as it states. Thing is, very few people bothered obtaining Nute, and even fewer bothered upgrading his leader skill to discover the second effect.

Lando, however, DOES have a huge weakness to counter-attack heavy groups.
  • It is fun, you're just complaining because you're always on the other side of getting hit.
    However, I don't see any many one shots no more from the start of the match unless a character has one of the lowest hp in the game like sid. Even dooku is not easy to one shot unless you got offence up with reys special or gs, assuming it crits. To get O up, it needs to be second round so there should not be too many one shooting toons. I have all the highest dps in the game so I know.