Light Side Bias

Pseudot
102 posts Member
Seriously CG?!? More LS characters? Plus a ship?

How is it that we get a new Star Wars movie purely focused on the criminal underground, yet this game releases 6 light side characters and a light side ship with nothing from the dark side to balance it out?

I know that this bias has been around forever, but I don't know that I've ever seen it so blatantly displayed

Replies

• ::looks at top 30 teams on arena shard::

Nah. Looks fine. Quantity does not equal quality.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    The characters they are releasing are of almost no significance in any game mode. They are useful, but are not really any better than already available toons. It doesnt seem like an issue.

We have also had one of the best duo reworked to bring out the DS and put them on top in arena, along with a great DS raid toon. Then there was a BH rework which has made a really solid DS PVE. Not sure what bias you are seeing just because they got approvals from all partners of the game to release these toons. (Its not always their direct choice)
  • Pseudot
    102 posts Member
    86 light side characters
    66 dark side characters

Granted, the current meta favors dark side, so there is that.
    Once Jedi Luke gets released that will more than likely change, but for now at least the dark side dominates the arenas. Except for that pesky Rex guy who never seems to go away.

20 extra light side characters is kinda rough though. It's not like there weren't any villains in the past 2 movies
  • Pseudot
    102 posts Member
    2 movies

9 new light side characters, one of which is a hero's journey
    2 new dark side characters, one of which is a generic tie fight pilot

• To be fair, only 20 more LS than DS isn't too shabby, considering that there are more LS than DS characters in the films. (And yes, I can think of more DS toons that could be added, but I can say the same for LS toons.)
    "Don't take yourself so serious; it's a game, have fun!" • https://swgoh.gg/u/yerffcaasi/
  • Pseudot
    102 posts Member
    That's all true, and I get that it is Galaxy of Heroes, not Galaxy of Villains. I just wish they'd release more of the new movie villains. Dryden Vos could be interesting. Maybe even Therm Scissorpunch, just for the fun of it
  • VonZant
    3843 posts Member
    Pseudot wrote: »
    Seriously CG?!? More LS characters? Plus a ship?

How is it that we get a new Star Wars movie purely focused on the criminal underground, yet this game releases 6 light side characters and a light side ship with nothing from the dark side to balance it out?

I know that this bias has been around forever, but I don't know that I've ever seen it so blatantly displayed

1. Meta has been dominated by Palp and sith.
    2. Thankfully, its still cool to be the good guy. Not sure how long that will last in today's society, but lets enjoy it while it lasts.
  • I heard that
    new Chewy eats people.
    Maybe VChewy should be a DS toon? :D
    "Don't take yourself so serious; it's a game, have fun!" • https://swgoh.gg/u/yerffcaasi/
  • Poxx
    2288 posts Member
    LS has more toons, yes...but they have far more garbage toons that serve no purpose...at least not atm.
  • YaeVizsla
    3448 posts Member
    Pseudot wrote: »
    2 movies

9 new light side characters, one of which is a hero's journey
    2 new dark side characters, one of which is a generic tie fight pilot
    Which completely skips the Sith rework and releases, and the bounty hunters.

If you want to jump around, 86 of the last 86 light side characters have been light side, with zero dark side.

Also, your tally is wrong, because we don't know how many units are a part of the Solo release. The Solo release is not done yet. With the exception of Nest, everyone who's been released so far is the part of the prepared scoundrels team. They make sense to release in succession with minimal interruption. Next, we're probably getting Beckett, whose alignment is highly debatable and could well be an alternate leader and hot swappable sixth ranger to give the prepared scoundrels team more options to play with, or he might be dark side. After that we'll probably get our dark side releases.

You say this is a criminal underground movie, and are surprised there aren't more dark side characters. Which dark side characters do you think should be added? Beckett is at most a maybe. Lady Proxima isn't really usable.

The only clear, strong, proper noun contender we have is Dryden Vos. This is a movie without a villain.

After Vos, you have maybe Beckett if you make him dark side, which is dubious. Spoiler cameo, maybe. Therm Scissorpunch looks like a valid choice despite being a joke purely for lack of options. And then generics like a few new trooper types.

What is there to even add for dark side?

The devs have voiced their frustrations over the lack of good dark side units to add, and Solo is an absolutely golden example of that problem. 'Cuz even after the core seven are in the game, Val and Rio would make good additions, too, when we're out of dark side proper nouns after one unit!
    Still not a he.
  • VonZant
    3843 posts Member
    edited June 2018
    **** is Therm Scissorpunch? Ive seen it twice and have no idea who this is.

Drydens enforcer boss, mudtrooper, rangetrooper, or a Pike guard are options.

Edit: I also secretly hoped IG88 would be a villan in this. Hes the only main BH that didnt also appear in TCW and I think he could be pretty menacing treated properly.
  • YaeVizsla
    3448 posts Member
    In other words, after Vos, you're down to generics.
    VonZant wrote: »
    **** is Therm Scissorpunch? Ive seen it twice and have no idea who this is.
    Therm Scissorpunch is a meme. He was originally identified in a Denny's promotional tie in. He's this rad lobster dude with a ridiculous name, and he is the most Star Wars thing.

He does nothing, says nothing, and is never identified by name. He's just a random alien sitting with Lando at a gambling table. But a lot of people like him purely for his name and design.
    Still not a he.