Ships 2.0 Update - 6/7/18 [MEGA]

Replies

• Options
    Ships were awful before. And they are still awful. Total waste of game play
  • Naz83
    30 posts Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Ship 1.0 i was able to get down to 33th place as a free to play player. Now im down at 225. Good job. I tried many rosters with no luck, my ships are worth nothing after 2.0 mega nerf, and i wont farm and gear out other characters for ship. Its like starting everything from 0 hour. Shout out to CG. Well done.. I just skip fleet battles cos' its awfull, not fun, annoying, frustrating etc.. I dont think you have the necessary beta testing team, or yu just release content without any thinking of the impact.. lot of our guild members are gone to another game (MSF)...
  • Options
    Tier 2 ability materials is not beatable at the recommended level. 83k gp, ships and characters at lvl 72, Tarkin special doesn’t even remove their shields.

Did you test anything prior to release?

This is beyond ridiculous.
  • jjkriv
    429 posts Member
    Options
    Lol..the battles are all the exact same sequence,its a Crapshoot who goes 1st and it all comes down to silly target lock and Biggs but every battle is the same.Its just comical!!just give us back 5vs5 maybe we'll have some deversity,the reinforcement thing was a nice touch but its failing miserably.
  • NicWester
    8928 posts Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Dblade21 wrote: »
    NicWester wrote: »
    Dblade21 wrote: »
    To be blunt, I adapted to the changes after experimenting. I paid attention to the reinforcement abilities and adjusted to maximize them. Vader is no longer in the initial wave because he wreaks far more havoc when brought in (same with Reaper to a lesser degree). Boba is now in the starting lineup because it forces opponents to address him early. I do not retain my final placing through 24 hours, but I win FAR more than I lose.

This cuts to the heart of the biggest problem with 2.0: Players' unwillingness to accept it. I hated 2.0 the day it finally released, go back and look at my first few posts, but over a week later I've come to really enjoy it and look forward to more stuff to do. I had to change my entire lineup because the capital ship I invested heavily in (Endurance) is complete and total garbage now, but I adapted and genuinely like fleet battles now.

I'm suffering in rank because my other admirals are g8, but that's something that will get better over time.

I have to respectfully disagree that mace is garbage. I ran him in 1.0. And still do in 2.0 and win upwards of 90% of my battles in 2 minutes or less. I'm on a day 1 shard, very active. Everyone still runs thrawn, biggs, vader and either tfp or sun fac. I finish top 5 every day.

What ships are you using? I tried a variety and have had zero luck. The closest I came was a defensive setup with Biggs, 5s, and Vader. But Endurance was just too slow to get off his aoe and apply Valor, and once he did it took too long to get his second turn to reinforce. The match was practically over—though I managed to get my ult off. But it was too little, too late—Chimaera or Executrix would get their ults off before me and then it was just playing out the string from there.

I run biggs, bistan and Vader, with 5s, boba, plo koon and sarge off the bench. All pilots are g12 except for plo koon.

Interesting, I'll give that a shot later once I've had a chance to work on Bistan, Boba, and Plo Koon (mine's g9, which is higher than most folks' Plos, but I stopped working on him when I took him out of my line up a while ago).

I desperately want Endurance to be good. It used to be a fun capital ship, then the mono-meta took over and all fun was **** out of fleets. Home One is competitive now, so I have faith that Endurance is/can be, too.
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • Options
    Before the update I was in top 10 30% of the time, top 20 70% of the time. I am and I was playing Endurance with much lower score then oponents I'm atacking. Now I find it sometimes hard to beat to top 20. With introduction of 3v3 battles people who focued only on correct 3 ships early have great advantage over the people who tried to keep whole ships team relatively equal. It's ridiculous up to the point where someone has only 3 good ships with really bad reinforcements and AI easily take out 1 attacker ship before player can do anything in first round, 1 another in the second and that's lost. Also in 3v3 RNG and speed play much greater role. Most of the teams I see are Tarkin + Biggs, Vader, TF swap with Kylo, with support of Boba. There is absolutely no diversity and the battle is 75% times finished in the first round, depending only on who kills Vader first.
    You say that the battles take less time - of course they do! As I've mentionded, its clear in the very first round who will win and no reinforcements can change that. Also many players finish battle in 2 min and wait until final 30 s to prevent loosing position - shorter battles mean shorter statistics.
    Also it was said that more people engage in the ships battles - how it is possible if I can check positions 3-5 hours before the rewards hour and until then I see that only me and one other person try to climb?
    Me and my whole guild consider ships 2.0 to be just terrible. Reinforcements bonus wasn't a bad thing, but 3v3 is simply terrible RNG, lacking in ships diversity.
  • Obi1_son
    656 posts Member
    Options

Nothing was wrong with ships before. They could have cut down the battle time and added in more ships. That would have fixed any staleness in the game mode.

In most mature ship arenas, players have all ships and pilots maxed. So it makes variety hard. This issue still exists. And now battles are all rng driven with no room for error.
  • Obi1_son
    656 posts Member
    Options
    CG_Carrie wrote: »
    gufu21 wrote: »
    Huge numbers of players have said that ships 2.0 is an unbalanced mess that only makes worse what it was meant to correct (e.g., being overdependent on RNG).

After all of that feedback, I have to say that "we will remain vigilant in monitoring balance concerns and re-evaluate as needed" sounds an awful lot like this:

c4jt321.png
    I don't want to undervalue player experience and feedback - that is 100% something we factor into all the decisions we make. But it isn't the complete picture. On the whole ship fighting times have reduced by upwards of 10 seconds across all segments, there are significantly more people engaging in battles, and a number of other metrics we consider healthy.
    However, I want to caveat this heavily, that doesn't mean everything is hunky dory OR that the things that we're seeing is indicative of your experience, it just means we need more time and to validate some more things. We also want to see how behavior changes after the release of the table, and once people can upgrade more ships - the likelihood that the meta will start to shift. Ultimately, we want to see a lively and interesting daily ship meta. If we don't see interesting play developing, we will re-evaluate.
    -Carrie

Bragging about a 10 sec drop in battle time when the battles now last 2.5 mins shorter????

Sounds like something is off here since most would let a battle go as far as possible to not expose their climb.

People may be engaging more in fights to try to get the extra added crystals... do not confuse that with enjoying the changes.
  • NicWester
    8928 posts Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Obi1_son wrote: »
    Nothing was wrong with ships before. They could have cut down the battle time and added in more ships. That would have fixed any staleness in the game mode.
    Okay, let's play this out. How do you add more ships? The three best ships in 1.0 are TIE Reaper, First Order TIE, and TIE Fighter. You're going to need to add at least 10 new ships, all of which have to be at, near, or better than the power level of those three ships. Get cracking on that.

Okay, now let's say you do that. You create 10 new ships. Now how do you handle the uproar of people shouting "WHAT A BLATANT CASH GRAB! I CAN'T BELIEVE THEY CREATED TEN NEW MUST HAVE SHIPS!"

So let's say instead of creating new ships, you balance the existing ones. You've got the same problem as before, now you need to take all 20+ ships and boost them to be on par with the overpowered ships. Alternatively, you can boost all of them a bit, then drop the top a little. That's what they went with. Every ship but a handful of the best are better now, and all ships are good on some level. The answer wasn't blatant power inflation or creating new must haves, the answer was to improve what existed and scale back what was overpowered.

It's not a perfect solution. People who had those things are upset because they are actually balanced now. But they got to take those rewards for the past 15 months. We didn't. But at least people aren't forced to farm up a whole new fleet from scratch--they already have the core of the new stuff, and have had months to work on them. I'm not saying they should all be g12.5 omega/zeta already, but they can be used now and can perform well, and it hasn't cost you a dime.
  • jeiaden
    34 posts Member
    Options
    Major problem is 3v3 imo. Less ship means less diversity. At the begining of encounter ıf you lose 1 ship there is no come back. There was one team before update especially opening ships and ofc capitol ship. I dont know what is new atm because my shard is very similar only main ships are different almost same setup ; biggs tie advanced and ITF or first order tie. Some guys using a different opening and without second thought im diving into battle with those and most of the time im winner. Maybe it will change with reinforcement skill update we will see. I think most of my shard didnt update their skills.
  • Options
    Okay, let's play this out. How do you add more ships? The three best ships in 1.0 are TIE Reaper, First Order TIE, and TIE Fighter. You're going to need to add at least 10 new ships, all of which have to be at, near, or better than the power level of those three ships. Get cracking on that.

Okay, now let's say you do that. You create 10 new ships. Now how do you handle the uproar of people shouting "WHAT A BLATANT CASH GRAB! I CAN'T BELIEVE THEY CREATED TEN NEW MUST HAVE SHIPS!"

So let's say instead of creating new ships, you balance the existing ones. You've got the same problem as before, now you need to take all 20+ ships and boost them to be on par with the overpowered ships. Alternatively, you can boost all of them a bit, then drop the top a little. That's what they went with. Every ship but a handful of the best are better now, and all ships are good on some level. The answer wasn't blatant power inflation or creating new must haves, the answer was to improve what existed and scale back what was overpowered.

It's not a perfect solution. People who had those things are upset because they are actually balanced now. But they got to take those rewards for the past 15 months. We didn't. But at least people aren't forced to farm up a whole new fleet from scratch--they already have the core of the new stuff, and have had months to work on them. I'm not saying they should all be g12.5 omega/zeta already, but they can be used now and can perform well, and it hasn't cost you a dime.

Do you get paid by these devs under the table or just enjoy trolling everybody's outrage in every thread on the forums...you might be the only person on here that loves making the rest of us feel little and say that ea/cg can do no wrong
  • NicWester
    8928 posts Member
    Options
    Roboklopp wrote: »

Do you get paid by these devs under the table or just enjoy trolling everybody's outrage in every thread on the forums...you might be the only person on here that loves making the rest of us feel little and say that ea/cg can do no wrong

Yeah, that's obviously it, anyone who isn't knee-**** mad over this must clearly be a paid schill. It clearly can't be that this was a necessary change and people aren't bothering to think through the consequences of the "easy fixes" they're proposing. Enjoy that red pill, my dude.
  • Obi1_son
    656 posts Member
    Options

Why should the devs worry if you are gonna cry about a cash grab. The lack of ship releases is the reason ships are where they are.

Dont cry to me that its not fair that others had reaper and you didn't. I dont use that ship and I would wipe it fro. The board before it would have an impact on the battle. A ship is not op if it doesn't exist.

Good for you that you are enjoying ships now since you couldn't compete before.

The fact is that thing change did nothing to improve ships and if you have them all maxed you would realize this.

I still sit in the same arena spot if I care to try. Most times I just dont care to engage in a ruined experience.

Btw. It's not balanced any more than it was before. It's worse than ever with everyone running the same teams and rng deciding who wins.
  • Options
    @CG_Carrie
    Just answer me one question. You stated you wanted to create variety in fleet so Fleet 2.0 nerfed a bunch of the meta ships. Now you made a bunch of other non-used ships stronger. But a bunch of those require 2-3 pilots geared. Why should anyone waste the time and resources to gear up those ships when you’ve proved that you will negate all the time and resources put into gearing those pilots by nerfing?

In arena you don’t nerf the previous meta just add new toons or rework old ones but leave the old meta. Fleet on a whim you just threw out a lot of hard work and resource management that players planned for. So you have destroyed the desire by some maybe a lot to not try for variety. There’s no point.

And statistics are not the complete truth. You can easily cherry pick the conditions. Would be very interested to see how battles are actually shorter. Do you use the exact same conditions for both 5v5 and 3v3? Politicians don’t and it’s considered okay. If you’re going to claim statistics please present the conditions as well. Otherwise the numbers are worthless.

• Options
    Basically they are leaving ships at 3 v 3. To reroll it back back would make them look incompetent when it comes to developing. Multiple polls shows the majority of players hate the 3 v 3. 5 v 5 was much faster and not as RNG oriented like it is now. I never did like ships...but I found it to be more enjoyable than it is now. That's what I hate about online games..devs make changes and despite the players hating it we have no say so and are forced to accept the way things are now. That's fine...just don't expect money from me like I spent before is all I have to say.
  • NicWester
    8928 posts Member
    Options

Good for you that you are enjoying ships now since you couldn't compete before.

I still sit in the same arena spot if I care to try. Most times I just dont care to engage in a ruined experience.
    Hi. You now are me then.
  • Deell
    106 posts Member
    Options
    I absolutely hate the new ships. AND YOU GUYS NERFED some of the ships I worked so hard on.....stupid. Does anyone working for EA have a lick of sense. Just had a great member of our guild quit over ships. Ea, yall need to have a think tank of players that have veto powers when yall are about to do something dumb as hell like this.
  • Options
    Ships 2.0 is the worst update that’s ever come out for this game. I’ve been playing since near launch, and have loved playing this game. The new ship update has ruined my gaming experience, and I’m close to quitting as a result.

As many have stated, lots of time, resources, and money have gone into building my ship collection, only to have their abilities diminished. I didn’t think less variety was possible in my arena shard, but I was wrong, as essentially everyone uses the same ships. There is virtually no strategy because almost everything is dependent on luck. The battles take even longer with less ships somehow, and certain aspects of capital ship mechanics don’t appear to work properly. Big disappointment
  • Options

Man - you're in the 300's? Outside of just grinding people the wrong way - it's that you don't have a leg to stand on either. Get up to the top ten, deal with what it takes to keep that position, come back and tell us your story then bro.
    #AcolyteShootsTwice
  • Neo2551
    1824 posts Member
    Options
    The issue is the lack of control in mirror battles. And with the prohibitive cost of gearin a toon which can be nerfed, no one has incentives to change.
  • Options
    Caiaphas wrote: »
    leef wrote: »
    CG_Carrie wrote: »
    On the whole ship fighting times have reduced by upwards of 10 seconds across all segments, there are significantly more people engaging in battles, and a number of other metrics we consider healthy.
    nuff said
    statistics > complaints - leef, 2016

data <> statistics. Caiaphas, 2018.

Saying that fight times have reduced by 10 seconds does not mean that there has been a statistically significant reduction in fight times. Take a large sample of fight times before and after the update. Take the differences. Calculate the mean and variance of the difference. Do the actual statistics. Given the variance in fight times that I experience, I can't possibly imagine that a mere 10 second reduction is actually a significant reduction. If the null hypothesis significance test can't reject the null hypothesis (that the fight times are the same), then the fight times are the same. You can't say that you have made a difference to fight times without testing the data to see if you have in fact made a difference to fight times.

Given the variance in fight times, 10 seconds can't be statistically significant. Therefore, the massive development effort FAILED to meet this development objective. But nice try.

Same goes for "significantly more people engaging in battles". Compare the proportion of fleet battles as a % of the active playerbase in the period after the release of Ships 2.0 to a similar period of the same length ... the last major Ships update: the proportion of fleet battles as a % of the active playerbase after the release of Ships 1.0. I'm willing to bet that the statistics would show that MORE people were engaged after the release of Ships 1.0, than after 2.0.

Anyone can compare participation at a peak to participation at a trough and say that there is an improvement, so you have to compare similar periods in time. I suspect that the proportion of fleet battles as a percentage of the active playerbase is not higher (and is actually lower) now than in the period after the release of Ships 1.0. Therefore, the massive development effort FAILED to meet this development objective. But again, nice try.

actual statistics > verbal fluff.

Prove me wrong, and show us the real statistics or the real data.

Not to be a nudge here..but if they show real data..then they have to eat their words (not u CG..the devs)..so never will they show real data or the statistics.
  • BrtStlnd
    1094 posts Member
    Options
    Ive been at rank 78 in ships for over a week now without being moved by winning a battle or losing one.

NO ONE is engaging in ships at all on my shard outside the top 10.
  • Lordih
    62 posts Member
    Options
    Please make a downgrade to ships 1.0. 2.0 is no longer about can or tactics only for luck. the good thing about the game. why I play it since december 15 this game. goes through this upgrade so slowly but surely lost.
  • Landale3
    87 posts Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    The real problem I'm having is with the A.I. I mentioned this in the other thread, but a large part as to why RNG is such a bigger factor is because the A.I. ships focus fire now, and they also have a defined priority list of ships to target (with Vader at the top, apparently). Only taunt or stealth will get them to deviate from this. The problem is that to get them to not destroy your heavy hitter in the first round requires that attention be taken away from them, either through stealth or taunt (hence Biggs and Target Lock).

Before, in ships 1.0, the A.I. would have more randomness to which ships it attacked, and even if it still tended towards attacking the low-hp heavy hitters, the 2 extra ships on your side could compensate for RNG by allowing for more opportunities to create stealth or taunt or opposing damage. With a 3v3 start, damage and speed are the most important factors (way more important than in 1.0) because you are racing to take down the opposing team's taunters in order to get fire on their heavy hitters. This means that fewer ships are viable in the starting lineup.

I've tried different capital ships, different starting lineups, and the one I've had the most success with is Chimaera lead; with Biggs, FOTF, and ITF starting; and Ghost, Vader, and Boba/Phantom in reinforcements. I've occasionally switched it up to Biggs, Fives, and ITF starting (this causes the A.I. to focus on Fives rather than ITF or Biggs), and then when they bring out their Boba, I immediately reinforce with FOTF, targeting Boba with the RI target lock, and Fives will dispel everything with a basic attack on his turn. But you'll notice, in all that, the only interesting thing about it is the reinforcements, not the starting lineup.

I don't think 2.0 is the total disaster that many others believe, but it has things that it needs to fix to make it as interesting and dynamic (for everyone) that they initially intended. Most importantly for me, however, is to revert the combat A.l. back to 1.0 while keeping the Reinforcement A.I.
  • Aluxtu
    420 posts Member
    Options
    Just roll home one, bistan uwing, Vader, Biggs, whoever you want in reserves and watch the face roll. My uwing for bistan is trash, thankfully he makes all my other ships so powerful its dumb. Hopefully I can gear out those pilots and hold my advantage
  • Sporto
    26 posts Member
    Options
    This ships update is just another blunder in a series of blunders that has completely ruined what was once a fun game. Are the Devs completely ignorant? Or do they do things like this on purpose just to laugh at the reactions? You take your time developing characters and ships just to have them nerfed to where you have to PAY to get them back up to where they were? Seriously? And there is NO strategy left in this game. None whatsoever. What does a ships arena battle come down to? Strategy? Yeah right...it's whoever's Capital Ship's Special goes first...and when it's a maxed Thrawn on Thrawn, it's a stupid coin flip (which AI seems to win over 80% of the time, gtfoh).

So don't kid yourself...this is a collector's game, nothing more. The Devs have taken strategy out of about every facet of the game.

I'll gladly accept this new version of the game for what it is and slowly collect toons without spending any money because of the love of the franchise...I'll get my competitive strategy fix somewhere else because the Devs have no clue what that even is apparently.

What a shame they are so clueless...this game had SO much potential.
  • Options
    First ever post...
    I have had all Ships at 7-stars for a long while. I “invested” early and it was fun, especially when the crystal payout was added. I lived in Top 10. However, it became stale and everyone caught up. Ships 2.0 took way too long to arrive. Sadly, it arrived as a dud.
    For me, Ships 2.0 has shifted from a favorite to a point of pure frustration. So much craziness that feels like I start at a disadvantage...not sure if it’s the odd AI, 3 vs 3 awkwardness (3 isn’t a fleet...) or the nerfs (Reaper...) but too often an apparent victory gets flipped to a stunning loss. I know how to play and, now, I fight weaker opponents and somehow lose. The fun is currently gone.
    Now, my guild just rails on Ships on Discord. It’s therapy. All reporting similar nonsense (opposing Chimaera always going first, low crits while opponents pummel crits, weird RNG). Nobody wants to farm the reinforcement mats (except me...and I am enjoying a sweet <10% drop rate) or even bother with “strategy.”
    I am frustrated and...bummed. I have spent too much time (and money) to be this frustrated and forced to farm/gear...again. Fix this.
  • NicWester
    8928 posts Member
    Options
    Neo2551 wrote: »
    The issue is the lack of control in mirror battles. And with the prohibitive cost of gearin a toon which can be nerfed, no one has incentives to change.
    Oh, come on... They rebalanced the most broken ships to be in line with the old ships that had been improved. What's the massively overpowered ship now? Biggs? Easy, there are lots of ships that deal with Biggs either as a starting lineup or from reinforcements.

Biggs is widely-used because he's basically Shoretrooper in squad arena, but once new ships come out that can taunt in a variety of ways he's going to be obsolete.

But more to the point "It's too expensive to gear a character that can be nerfed" is a silly reaction to all of this. Then why gear any character ever? You're basically saying that you won't gear anything going forward because they did one major shake-up of ships that were massively overpowered, because they might do it again in the future. It took FIFTEEN MONTHS to balance those ships. You think the next round is right around the corner?

By all means, hoard your resources for now. We don't know what's coming down the pipeline along with the PvE board. It could be a whole bunch of new ships that should have been released over the past--again--FIFTEEN MONTHS but were held back because fleet was broken and bad. Or it could be nothing, we won't know for another two weeks or so. (Not that I claim to know when it's coming--just that they said "later in June" and there isn't a whole lot more later left for June after two weeks.)
  • Gorem
    1190 posts Member
    Options
    I just want to say one last thing.

And I really need to stop posting after losing to RNG after RNG after RNG.

My one last thing to say:

I HATE THE RNG IN SHIPS 2.0. I HATE IT SO MUCH.

its not just rng at the start going terribly, but rng in the middle going terribly then RNG at the end going terribly. it is driving me insane how much rng is in ships 2.0.
  • Naz83
    30 posts Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I really dont know why ships need the pilots any way. If the don't have pilots, they just could release some more ships, like TIE advanced, B-Wing, TIE Bomber, A-Wing etc. Why cant you choose for example to add pilots to ships if you want it to get a power boost (and i mean real pilots, not like FO stormtrooper or somthing like that)? Just like Vader had his Wingmans in New Hope?