With Kathleen Stepping down, you think we may finally get a good Disney Star Wars movie?

Replies

• TVF
    36489 posts Member
    edited June 2018
    Beaten by a girl?

Nice.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • DuneSeaFarmer
    3525 posts Member
    edited June 2018
    I feel bad for Carrie Fisher. Her last work, will be tied to the mess that is TFA, and TLJ. And for that very reason (her last work) the chance of scrapping them both will never EVER happen. Not because of it being her last work, but because that will be their (Disney) convenient excuse. Carrie herself was very blunt when describing working with RJ. But as I wasn't there she may have just been having a laugh at his expense. Although she was known to speak her mind. If SW9 fails like Solo is reported to have done, it's the 3rd in the trilogy, and they will simply make a few spin offs and shelve it and move on.

I was thinking KK was a Sith, but upon further thought and her stance on males in SW, she is clearly a Nightsister. LOL
  • TVF
    36489 posts Member
    This is a terrible thread and every post other than my posts is terrible. I am now going to take my own advice.
    TVF wrote: »
    Just ignore it. Problem solved.

I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • TVF wrote: »
    This is a terrible thread and every post other than my posts is terrible. I am now going to take my own advice.
    TVF wrote: »
    Just ignore it. Problem solved.

Looks at watch, counts seconds.. lol

• I feel bad for Carrie Fisher. Her last work, will be tied to the mess that is TFA, and TLJ. And for that very reason (her last work) the chance of scrapping them both will never EVER happen. Not because of it being her last work, but because that will be their (Disney) convenient excuse. Carrie herself was very blunt when describing working with RJ. But as I wasn't there she may have just been having a laugh at his expense. Although she was known to speak her mind. If SW9 fails like Solo is reported to have done, it's the 3rd in the trilogy, and they will simply make a few spin offs and shelve it and move on.

I was thinking KK was a Sith, but upon further thought and her stance on males in SW, she is clearly a Nightsister. LOL

Maybe they could have the ep 8 Luke have been a force projection as a sorta test for Rey. It woukd be a projection of a projection when he faced Kylo. Then that would allow having a jedi master luke still be alive. You could show a training scene early on where luke wipes the floor with Rey. Then later after a few years of training, they show Rey's improvement. Then they could also have snoke come back. Either as a Darth Plagesis type stopping himself from dying or it could also have been a projection tge whole time as a test of Kylos loyalty. If that's the case, then snoke woukd want to kill Kylo for failing and he could team up with Rey to help defeat snoke. That's a lot of work to fix things but would be a much better movie than just Rey trains herself and stops Kylo. The fact that you would have to jump through that many hoops to save the trilogy is a testament of how bad the last jedi screwed things up.
  • I feel bad for Carrie Fisher. Her last work, will be tied to the mess that is TFA, and TLJ. And for that very reason (her last work) the chance of scrapping them both will never EVER happen. Not because of it being her last work, but because that will be their (Disney) convenient excuse. Carrie herself was very blunt when describing working with RJ. But as I wasn't there she may have just been having a laugh at his expense. Although she was known to speak her mind. If SW9 fails like Solo is reported to have done, it's the 3rd in the trilogy, and they will simply make a few spin offs and shelve it and move on.

Maybe they could have the ep 8 Luke have been a force projection as a sorta test for Rey. It woukd be a projection of a projection when he faced Kylo. Then that would allow having a jedi master luke still be alive. You could show a training scene early on where luke wipes the floor with Rey. Then later after a few years of training, they show Rey's improvement. Then they could also have snoke come back. Either as a Darth Plagesis type stopping himself from dying or it could also have been a projection tge whole time as a test of Kylos loyalty. If that's the case, then snoke woukd want to kill Kylo for failing and he could team up with Rey to help defeat snoke. That's a lot of work to fix things but would be a much better movie than just Rey trains herself and stops Kylo. The fact that you would have to jump through that many hoops to save the trilogy is a testament of how bad the last jedi screwed things up.

True. JJ. Abrams reportedly had a story arc mapped out for the trilogy, and Rian threw it out. I hadn't looked into the social medias rants (about TFA/TLJ) on the movies until recently. I did wonder why Kylo was such a whining, tantrum throwing joke, but had previously shrugged and figured it would play out. Now I know he was meant to be that way and it was all intentional. More is the pity. I bet George Lucas is sitting back thinking "How do you like me now?". Which comparing his prequels to 2/3rds of the new trilogy, GL's were masterpieces. And to be very honest I liked them.

True. JJ. Abrams reportedly had a story arc mapped out for the trilogy, and Rian threw it out. I hadn't looked into the social medias rants (about TFA/TLJ) on the movies until recently. I did wonder why Kylo was such a whining, tantrum throwing joke, but had previously shrugged and figured it would play out. Now I know he was meant to be that way and it was all intentional. More is the pity. I bet George Lucas is sitting back thinking "How do you like me now?". Which comparing his prequels to 2/3rds of the new trilogy, GL's were masterpieces. And to be very honest I liked them.

At least George Lucas had a coherent story. What kind of company just brings in a director and says do whatever you want. Kill off a main character we plan on having in the next movie? They should have a main story team in charge of the basic story arc and only have the director be able to change things that won't adversely affect that. Even the worst mistakes of the prequels, had a continuity in mind. Even Jar Jar had a purpose. Or so the theory says. In case you don't know there's a theory that Jar Jar was secretly supposed to be a sith lord but George scrapped that idea after fans hated him. Personally that would have made ep 1 better since it would tie in the pointless parts more but it still works overall as is. The new ones should be easier sonce you don't have to end at a particular spot but they seem to be failing at basic storytelling.
  • The point is that while there are some issues with the prequels most aren't due to bad witting and a bad story.

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
  • DarkHelmet1138
    3884 posts Member
    edited June 2018
    I feel bad for Carrie Fisher. Her last work, will be tied to the mess that is TFA, and TLJ. And for that very reason (her last work) the chance of scrapping them both will never EVER happen. Not because of it being her last work, but because that will be their (Disney) convenient excuse. Carrie herself was very blunt when describing working with RJ. But as I wasn't there she may have just been having a laugh at his expense. Although she was known to speak her mind. If SW9 fails like Solo is reported to have done, it's the 3rd in the trilogy, and they will simply make a few spin offs and shelve it and move on.

and I liked the prequels overall. Ep 3 is actually one of the best in my opinion.

and I liked the prequels overall. Ep 3 is actually one of the best in my opinion.

If they remove one line and put the separtist scene back in, I would be happy. Oh, the line "you will try" ... ugh

At least George Lucas had a coherent story. What kind of company just brings in a director and says do whatever you want. Kill off a main character we plan on having in the next movie? They should have a main story team in charge of the basic story arc and only have the director be able to change things that won't adversely affect that. Even the worst mistakes of the prequels, had a continuity in mind. Even Jar Jar had a purpose. Or so the theory says. In case you don't know there's a theory that Jar Jar was secretly supposed to be a sith lord but George scrapped that idea after fans hated him. Personally that would have made ep 1 better since it would tie in the pointless parts more but it still works overall as is. The new ones should be easier sonce you don't have to end at a particular spot but they seem to be failing at basic storytelling.

Can you imagine someone like Joss Whedon directing, and Neil Gaiman writing.. oh man if only..

Can you imagine someone like Joss Whedon directing, and Neil Gaiman writing.. oh man if only..

I'd settle for competent. Firing Kennedy and putting Dave Faloney in charge of Lucas film woukd be a good start. He has done good work with Clone Wars and Rebels and would probably do much better as far as story continuity.

I'd settle for competent. Firing Kennedy and putting Dave Faloney in charge of Lucas film woukd be a good start. He has done good work with Clone Wars and Rebels and would probably do much better as far as story continuity.

Hmmm the voice of Chopper running Lucas Film... :)
  • Who cares if the characters were male or female? Why couldn't a droid do to the Death Star what Holdo did to Snoke's ship? The Holdo character ruined Star Wars, no matter if the role was written as male or female.
  • The prequels story was fine it was the acting that was terrible.

Bad story is far worse than bad acting. I actually don't find it hard to ignore bad acting. But bad story ruins a movie and in the case of star wars if the story is bad enough it can ruin the whole saga.
  • Me when people complain about the 'obvious' anti- straight/white/male agenda of the new movies:

giphy.gif

And when those same people complain about a pansexual agenda, I still always think of this (I don't keep up on these things):

s-l1000.jpg

giphy.gif
  • Who cares if the characters were male or female? Why couldn't a droid do to the Death Star what Holdo did to Snoke's ship? The Holdo character ruined Star Wars, no matter if the role was written as male or female.

That is a good point. I guess the official story would be no one but the brilliant Holdo thought of that. But if she was so brilliant, why didn't they put a droid on the bridge to ram the ship? Speaking of plot holes, why didn't the fo just micro jumo a couple of star destroyers ahead of the cruiser and blow it up? While all movies have this issue to some extent, it was like they didn't even try to avoid the most obvious ones. If they had even tried to think it through they would have realized the slow chase was a dumb idea. Even ignoring the above issues, the slow chase made the bigger issue of allowing no time to train Rey. They could have just as easily allowed the ship to escape, had the fo look for the rebels for a few months/years/how ever long is needed and then still had them eventually be found causing them to need saved. Or if that wasn't interesting, use a time skip and assume that happened.
  • t0neg0d
    616 posts Member
    I don't understand why people think that Rian Johnson and Kathleen Kennedy ruined Star Wars.
    Most fans despise the prequels, the ewoks' role in ROTJ, and TFA was just a remake of A New Hope.
    So I don't see how what Rian Johnson did was worse for the franchise than the past actions of JJ Abrams and George Lucas.

He took every story arc JJ set up and threw them away? How much more do you need to understand This?

I wasn't particularly fond of TFA... however, I still wanted to know:

1. Who snoke was
    2. How he became so powerful & in a position of power
    3. Who reys parents were
    4. Where the first order came from
    5. What happened to Luke
    6. Why did he bail
    Etc, etc

RJ haves us these explinations:

1. Doesnt matter
    2. Read the wiki... but it extremely vague
    3. Doesnt matter
    4. Read the wiki... no real explination
    5. Character assassination... he doesn't matter
    6. Because he is a borderline murderer and... he doesn't matter.

I wanted to see some congruency between the older movies and the newer. RJ didn't even give us this between TFA & TLJ.

I liked the IDEA of Rey. Was stoked about a female lead... not for political climate reasons... Because it was a solid choice for the story. Finn was my favorite character in TFA. The idea of giving some human qualities to the grunts made the 1sr order seem even worse.

* RJ seriously ruined both characters with a lack of character development.
    * He ruined the 1st orders "evil empire" vibe by making them into clowns
    * He made finn into a coward for the 3rd time.
    * He gave us ZERO reason why Rey should care about kylo - The guy who wants the resistance destroyed, luke dead & killed han.

He just plainly screwed up. And KK is where the buck stops. She is likely under severe scrutiny from Disney atm:

1. 5 movies... 12 (TWELVE) directors. O.o
    2. The movies are not meeting the expectations of financial return.
    3. They still haven't recovered their 4bil + the production costs of each movie.
    4. Solo costed more than most SW movies to date & is flopping hard (I did like it btw)

So, political crap aside, these are the reasons why.
  • Random9
    510 posts Member
    Say what you will about TLJ it was far better than the prequels and those didn't murder Star Wars. I don't give a **** if the characters are male or female, and having female characters doesn't turn it into a political agenda pushing movie. But you're right, white straight men do really have it tough in today's society. The movie was quite good in my opinion aside from the casino scenes. Also, please refrain from getting people to click on your thread with a false title.
  • t0neg0d
    616 posts Member
    I'd also like to add that merchandise isn't selling & it's where Disney expected to make the most money. Lucas made MOST of his money off of star wars in this way.

Disney bought a brand, not a movie setting. No toy sales = something isn't right with the new movies.
  • t0neg0d wrote: »
    I don't understand why people think that Rian Johnson and Kathleen Kennedy ruined Star Wars.
    Most fans despise the prequels, the ewoks' role in ROTJ, and TFA was just a remake of A New Hope.
    So I don't see how what Rian Johnson did was worse for the franchise than the past actions of JJ Abrams and George Lucas.

He took every story arc JJ set up and threw them away? How much more do you need to understand This?

I wasn't particularly fond of TFA... however, I still wanted to know:

1. Who snoke was
    2. How he became so powerful & in a position of power
    3. Who reys parents were
    4. Where the first order came from
    5. What happened to Luke
    6. Why did he bail
    Etc, etc

RJ haves us these explinations:

1. Doesnt matter
    2. Read the wiki... but it extremely vague
    3. Doesnt matter
    4. Read the wiki... no real explination
    5. Character assassination... he doesn't matter
    6. Because he is a borderline murderer and... he doesn't matter.

I wanted to see some congruency between the older movies and the newer. RJ didn't even give us this between TFA & TLJ.

I liked the IDEA of Rey. Was stoked about a female lead... not for political climate reasons... Because it was a solid choice for the story. Finn was my favorite character in TFA. The idea of giving some human qualities to the grunts made the 1sr order seem even worse.

* RJ seriously ruined both characters with a lack of character development.
    * He ruined the 1st orders "evil empire" vibe by making them into clowns
    * He made finn into a coward for the 3rd time.
    * He gave us ZERO reason why Rey should care about kylo - The guy who wants the resistance destroyed, luke dead & killed han.

He just plainly screwed up. And KK is where the buck stops. She is likely under severe scrutiny from Disney atm:

1. 5 movies... 12 (TWELVE) directors. O.o
    2. The movies are not meeting the expectations of financial return.
    3. They still haven't recovered their 4bil + the production costs of each movie.
    4. Solo costed more than most SW movies to date & is flopping hard (I did like it btw)

So, political **** aside, these are the reasons why.

I can only like your post once, sooooo +1.5 mil
  • Gorem
    1190 posts Member
    edited June 2018
    Yeah I gotta agree with you guys. They have now of course got books to explain things apparently, like how Rey's power is "she gains the powers of any force sensitive being she touches" Which means that since she touched Luke, Snoke, Kylo, ect, does that mean she's now just a combination of all three and is basically invincible and even more good at everything with no in-movie explanation?

Lucas himself said it was cannon that Luke Skywalker became the "best" Jedi of all time. The best. Following in his father's prophecy footsteps. So Rey gained the best's powers and more?

No matter how good the solo movie is, its bombing because of what TLJ did to the universe. it got a petition of over 100 thousand people asking for it to be removed from cannon. All Disney star wars merch is failing, and all new movies will fail if they don't start fixing up their mess. There is no "Star wars fatigue" its all the fact that the fans are tired of putting up with non-star wars writing.

Explanations - an awesome Luke scene, or rather, multiple awesome Luke scenes - more Lightsaber fighting so many things they should be doing that they are not.

I don't mind a female lead either, if its actually written right. You can't just put a female in lead and say "if you don't like this movie, you are se.xist" even if it was male you'd still need to write the character well.

Like Holdo, such a poorly written character who should not have taken the place of Akbar.
  • Gorem wrote: »
    Lucas himself said it was cannon that Luke Skywalker became the "best" Jedi of all time. The best. Following in his father's prophecy footsteps. So Rey gained the best's powers and more?

No matter how good the solo movie is, its bombing because of what TLJ did to the universe. it got a petition of over 100 thousand people asking for it to be removed from cannon. All Disney star wars merch is failing, and all new movies will fail if they don't start fixing up their mess. There is no "Star wars fatigue" its all the fact that the fans are tired of putting up with non-star wars writing.

I don't understand Lucas's logic; Yoda and Obi Wan were both shown as being more powerful, and arguably more wise, than Luke.
    Also, I feel that TLJ had much better writing than the prequels, TFA, and ROTJ.
  • Random9 wrote: »
    Say what you will about TLJ it was far better than the prequels and those didn't murder Star Wars. I don't give a **** if the characters are male or female, and having female characters doesn't turn it into a political agenda pushing movie. But you're right, white straight men do really have it tough in today's society. The movie was quite good in my opinion aside from the casino scenes. Also, please refrain from getting people to click on your thread with a false title.

The casino scene was the complaint about the political agenda. The agenda was oh the poor animals and rich people are all bad. That by itself was annoying but not universe ruining. Though it did waste 45 min of the movie for a political agenda. But the plain out bad story is worse.

1. Rey was over powered. For a good trilogy the hero needs a challenge. Rey beats Kylo who is supposed to be a "scary bad guy" with no training in ep 7. Granted this is not in the last jedi but was already a problem with Disney's star wars. Ep 8 compounds this issue by having Rey best Luke in combat. Luke is a Jedi master, the most powerful ever and Rey beats him in combat with no training.
    2. Kylo is a crappy villian. Darth Vader was a strong villian. He was basically unbeaten until the end of the trilogy. In ep 5 the only reason luke lived was because vader didn't want him dead. Contrast this to Kylo. He is beaten by a girl with no training in ep 7.
    3. In ep 7 we at least have snoke as the big bad but in ep 8 they kill him off like a little ****. So now we just have Kylo who was already beaten by our unbeatable hero. So there really isn't much doubt they will make Rey win in ep 9.
    4. They turned the character of Luke Skywalker into a little depressed **** that is bested by a girl with no training. They could have at least had him get at least a little bit of time being a badass. He could have saved Rey in 7 for example, that would have fixed most of the issues above.

That wasn't all the issues but in my opinion those were the worst that ruin the story. It's no wonder the fans aren't happy. And the prequels never had story issues that large
  • Basically it comes down to this, we can debate all of this until the universe ends. If the revenues of SW 9 are as bad as Solo, we may not see anymore Star Wars movies because Lucasfilm/Disney will not admit they were wrong. Just as they are now stating SW Fatigue is the reason for poor returns.
  • Random9 wrote: »
    Say what you will about TLJ it was far better than the prequels

Sorry but not even close - TLJ is the worst Star Wars movie ever made by several orders of magnitude.
  • YaeVizsla
    3448 posts Member
    8Dd4LLO.jpg
    Still not a he.
  • Degs29
    360 posts Member
    I cant see how they can save the series.
    Unless they bin TLJ and remake it which will never happen, no amount of story telling can fix what they have done.

+1

Sadly I fear TLJ did too much damage for the sequel trilogy to be saved.

I agree. The Last Jedi is a serious wrench in the gears. It'd be unprecedented and cost a ridiculous amount of cash to redo the movie (and no, I'm not seriously thinking that's even a possibility), but that's literally the only way to save the trilogy.
  • Degs29
    360 posts Member
    Gorem wrote: »
    Been waiting for a good new star wars movie for quite sometime now....

Dude, Rogue One is an excellent Star Wars movie. The Force Awakens is good, and Solo is decent as well.

Yes, The Last Jedi is probably the worst Star Wars movie ever made, but don't let that poison you to the rest.
This discussion has been closed.