With Kathleen Stepping down, you think we may finally get a good Disney Star Wars movie?

13Next

Replies

• Degs29
    360 posts Member
    I hate the way people group you into sexist bigot racist etc if you didnt like the movie. Other than subjective opinion based arguments such as Lukes character (which I totally agree was a terrible direction) there are fundamental film making issues with TLJ that aren't decided by fans opinions. A lot of which has to do with pacing, dialogue, character development and decisions

Ah yes. This is why it got a positive review from a majority of film critics. You know the people whose job it is to gage how well a movie does those things? Maybe people lump you in with them because otherwise your criticisms seem completely without merit. It's fine to not like a movie, but to act you are upholding some objective truth about Star Wars or movies in general is when people are gonna call you on your ****

It is very perplexing as to why The Last Jedi did so well with critics, but I'd chalk it up to novelty. Critics love novelty. They reward novelty. It was a different take on Star Wars, and they applauded it. That's the only way I can understand those scores, because the narrative was a mess. Looking at it objectively and not as a Star Wars fan, there are still so many plot holes, cheesy lines, pointless subplots, and decisively poor writing throughout. As a Star Wars fan, you can add in that it doesn't fit the established universe. Obviously a non-Star Wars fan can excuse that, but how can they excuse the lackluster writing? Beats me.
  • Degs29 wrote: »
    Gorem wrote: »
    Been waiting for a good new star wars movie for quite sometime now....

Dude, Rogue One is an excellent Star Wars movie. The Force Awakens is good, and Solo is decent as well.

Yes, The Last Jedi is probably the worst Star Wars movie ever made, but don't let that poison you to the rest.

Ep 7 was ok but many of the plot issues in ep 8 started there. Ex Rey being overpowered with no training and generally a mary sue. It probably woukd have been alright if ep 8 had fixed the issues but they doubled down on them instead. But considering that JJ Abrams started some of the major problems, I have little faith he'll fix them in ep 9 unless there is a change at the top that tells them to fix it.

Rogue One and Solo had some issues as do all movies but weren't bad. They rank above ep 1 but below ep 2 and 3. Ep 7 and 8 are at the bottom.
  • It's obvious TFA, and TLJ were not made by fans. They had other motivations. Which is also why they do not understand the upset. Lucas was protecting his creation, we may not have understood his choices sometimes but it was his creation, so we accepted his right to follow his vision. Now it is in the hands of those only motivated by self indulgence and the fans be damned. Disney won't understand unless they see a drop in revenues. Someone like Dave Filoni would be a good choice. One way he could save the day would be to repeal the previous ruling about what is and isn't canon. Bring all the EU back. That would go along way to mending fences. And give them decades of content. Disney really missed the mark on the handling of Star Wars. They should be buying planets with the profits, planning SW land in Disney World, turning Space Mountain into the Death Star. Star Wars is, well was a license to print money. And they can't break even on a movie that could easily have become a popular tv series, like Young Indiana Jones did. Maybe 2019 will be better for them, Bob Iger CEO of Disney is stepping down. Hopefully someone that remembers it all started with a mouse takes his place.
  • Random9
    510 posts Member
    YaeVizsla wrote: »
    8Dd4LLO.jpg

lol
  • DuneSeaFarmer
    3525 posts Member
    edited June 2018
    It's interesting to note Daisy Ridley has said she has no interest playing Rey after SW 9 is done. She didn't say never ever, "maybe in 30 years if the world hasn't exploded, and we 're not living under ground". (Her words not mine) Lol
  • ElleMadara
    1017 posts Member
    Yes, she must be fired SO HARD, l will be so happy when she lefts
  • ElleMadara
    1017 posts Member
    8Dd4LLO.jpg

TLJ copy pasted Episode V and Vl so its not "new or surprising"
  • YaeVizsla
    3448 posts Member
    ElleMadara wrote: »
    It calls back to some elements, but most of it's new, and its elements drawn from V and VI are mostly there to destroy the possibility of the same ending.
    Still not a he.
  • NicWester
    8928 posts Member
    They've already made three great movies and one good movie (Solo).

It's okay to not like something. Not everything has to be for you.
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • NicWester wrote: »
    They've already made three great movies and one good movie (Solo).

It's okay to not like something. Not everything has to be for you.

I agree but,

giphy.gif
  • Gorem
    1190 posts Member
    @Degs29 Hey I Agree, Rogue one was a good movie, I had said that in my other comment here :)
    And for han solo, it may be a good movie or it may not be, but I cannot get over how little the guy looks and sounds like Harrison Ford. To me, actors can't be replaced by new actors, I feel the same way with VA's too, the best way to ruin a show is to replace VA's... it would be like making Logan without Hugh Jackman.

So its more a personal thing as to why I'll never like young han in any movie, especially even after seeing you tube clips of near identical twins to Ford who even sound exactly like him, but even that would not be enough for me :D Just how I am. Which of course also makes me wonder how they explain Leia in ep9.
    Basically it comes down to this, we can debate all of this until the universe ends. If the revenues of SW 9 are as bad as Solo, we may not see anymore Star Wars movies because Lucasfilm/Disney will not admit they were wrong. Just as they are now stating SW Fatigue is the reason for poor returns.

Yeah this. If the fan boycott stays strong, we should see the same results for ep9 as we have for solo. They predicted Solo to open with 170million saying the boycott was nothing then instantly started up with excuses right after.

Marvel listens to their fans. They don't need excuses. They make fricking epic movies. Come on star wars, you know you can be better <3
  • Funny thing is Disney owns Marvel as well. It comes down to Lucasfilm mgmt.
  • YaeVizsla wrote: »
    It calls back to some elements, but most of it's new, and its elements drawn from V and VI are mostly there to destroy the possibility of the same ending.

You’re right the only new stuff is a 30 minute cringy lecture on military industrial complex and war profiteering as well as slavery and animal cruelty. Stuff that people don’t want in their Star Wars movies
  • Fives5555 wrote: »

You’re right the only new stuff is a 30 minute cringy lecture on military industrial complex and war profiteering as well as slavery and animal cruelty. Stuff that people don’t want in their Star Wars movies

Or better said as "We go to Star Wars movies to escape reality, live our fantasies, and be young again, if only for a few hours".
  • Fives5555 wrote: »

Or better said as "We go to Star Wars movies to escape reality, live our fantasies, and be young again, if only for a few hours".

I feel that many people don't mind these elements being in their movies if they're handled well. Don't TELL me this stuff is bad, SHOW me. Give me characters that I care about and show how these things are negatively impacting them, then as a viewer, I can understand and relate to their plight. That is a much more effective way of demonstrating the evils of something than simply saying "Hey, look, this is bad because it caused bad things and now I'm sad."
  • Gorem
    1190 posts Member

I feel that many people don't mind these elements being in their movies if they're handled well. Don't TELL me this stuff is bad, SHOW me. Give me characters that I care about and show how these things are negatively impacting them, then as a viewer, I can understand and relate to their plight. That is a much more effective way of demonstrating the evils of something than simply saying "Hey, look, this is bad because it caused bad things and now I'm sad."

Exactly! I always take examples from Pixar and their ability to make you really care about the characters, often causing you to cry at the end (darn you ugly tears) Its very possible to make you relate and believe in characters if they are done right and not just forced onto you. Explaining and showing is always better.
    Funny thing is Disney owns Marvel as well. It comes down to Lucasfilm mgmt.

haha, yeah, just like Disney and Pixar, how they could be on the opposite side of the fence compared to the rest of Disney confuses me, its star wars. Make it good.
  • DatBoi wrote: »
    Oh no! Female and minority representation in blockbuster movies! What a tragedy!

The new films have plenty of problems but characters being female isn’t one of them.

Female characters is a non-issue. Focusing on the fact that the character is female, that's an issue. Jyn was the de facto leader of Rogue One and her gender was irrelevant. Hera was Phoenix Leader and her gender was irrelevant. Ahsoka's gender, irrelevant. Queen/Senator Amidala, Duchess Satine, Master Luminara, Master Adi Gallia, Master Shaak Ti, Sabine, Ventress, all great characters, and they all just got on with it.

The same goes for race. Mace Windu's race was never a talking point, neither was Jango, Boba, Lando.

It's all about interesting characters and good stories.
  • Geshtianna wrote: »
    DatBoi wrote: »
    Oh no! Female and minority representation in blockbuster movies! What a tragedy!

The new films have plenty of problems but characters being female isn’t one of them.

Female characters is a non-issue. Focusing on the fact that the character is female, that's an issue. Jyn was the de facto leader of Rogue One and her gender was irrelevant. Hera was Phoenix Leader and her gender was irrelevant. Ahsoka's gender, irrelevant. Queen/Senator Amidala, Duchess Satine, Master Luminara, Master Adi Gallia, Master Shaak Ti, Sabine, Ventress, all great characters, and they all just got on with it.

The same goes for race. Mace Windu's race was never a talking point, neither was Jango, Boba, Lando.

It's all about interesting characters and good stories.

Agreed, though I still think they shouldn't have changed boba's voice in ep 5. It was much more menacing before. But that has nothing to do with race. Accent is mostly a product of environment. And it woukd have been ok for boba to sound a little different but that is a small issue.
  • Degs29
    360 posts Member
    Degs29 wrote: »

Dude, Rogue One is an excellent Star Wars movie. The Force Awakens is good, and Solo is decent as well.

Yes, The Last Jedi is probably the worst Star Wars movie ever made, but don't let that poison you to the rest.

Ep 7 was ok but many of the plot issues in ep 8 started there. Ex Rey being overpowered with no training and generally a mary sue. It probably woukd have been alright if ep 8 had fixed the issues but they doubled down on them instead. But considering that JJ Abrams started some of the major problems, I have little faith he'll fix them in ep 9 unless there is a change at the top that tells them to fix it.

Rogue One and Solo had some issues as do all movies but weren't bad. They rank above ep 1 but below ep 2 and 3. Ep 7 and 8 are at the bottom.

Rogue One is in my top 3 Star Wars movies, probably #2 after Empire. TFA and Solo are in the middle of the pack for me.

I agree completely about the Mary Sue issue starting in TFA, but it would have been completely fine if it was a one-off fluke and she got proper training in TLJ. Alas, as you said, they doubled down.

Rogue One is in my top 3 Star Wars movies, probably #2 after Empire. TFA and Solo are in the middle of the pack for me.

I agree completely about the Mary Sue issue starting in TFA, but it would have been completely fine if it was a one-off fluke and she got proper training in TLJ. Alas, as you said, they doubled down.

I don't know about the Mary Sue thing even being real. I'm thinking about this, and if a child were to survive on their own in the desert, wouldn't they grow up to be a tough character and have great survival skills? Rey would have to fight wild animals or nomad tribes for supplies, especially the ones she trades for rations.
  • NicWester
    8928 posts Member
    Rey having enormous force potential also indicates that such potential lay within anyone--not just the exclusively male-side of the Skywalker bloodline. It's a much more uncomfortable sentiment that power just comes naturally through good breeding.

I'm not saying that's what George Lucas intended... He's a good guy who made a movie that was very forward-thinking for 1977. But it's 2018.
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • DuneSeaFarmer
    3525 posts Member
    edited June 2018

I don't know about the Mary Sue thing even being real. I'm thinking about this, and if a child were to survive on their own in the desert, wouldn't they grow up to be a tough character and have great survival skills? Rey would have to fight wild animals or nomad tribes for supplies, especially the ones she trades for rations.

One friend suggested this "Why do you automatically assume they care about Star Wars at all? Kennedy and Johnson may absolutely despise SW. It may be it was just a vehicle to further their agendas. So accusing them of "Ruining" makes no sense as it may not have been on their radar, because that would imply they cared one way or another about the story, the canon, or that fans".

Can't fault the logic.
  • NicWester wrote: »
    Rey having enormous force potential also indicates that such potential lay within anyone--not just the exclusively male-side of the Skywalker bloodline. It's a much more uncomfortable sentiment that power just comes naturally through good breeding.

I'm not saying that's what George Lucas intended... He's a good guy who made a movie that was very forward-thinking for 1977. But it's 2018.

Not to mention all the female Jedi that existed, female sith. If we take force sensitivity out of the equation, we can include other characters to the list of strong females, but they wouldn't be "main" characters.
  • DuneSeaFarmer
    3525 posts Member
    edited June 2018
    NicWester wrote: »

Not disagreeing with your post, but "Rey having enormous force potential also indicates that such potential lay within anyone" Reminds me of the final episode of Buffy the Vampire slayer with the , 'Every girl can be a slayer revelation' which is fine, just not original." I live in a blended household, a cousin and her now 9 year old Daughter live with us. I have watched her grow since she was 2. I wonder what kind of world we are leaving her. I'm turning 60 in a few months. I get that roles and stereotypes have to change. I'm all for that. KK's way was more destructive. All she did was widen the gap. In gaming terms, EPIC FAIL. Those stuck in their outdated way of thinking feel justified now. Rian's revelation of Rey assuming the abilities of anyone she touches is taken from "Rogue" in X-Men. Again, nothing new.

One friend suggested this "Why do you automatically assume they care about Star Wars at all? Kennedy and Johnson may absolutely despise SW. It may be it was just a vehicle to further their agendas. So accusing them of "Ruining" makes no sense as it may not have been on their radar, because that would imply they cared one way or another about the story, the canon, or that fans".

Can't fault the logic.

The only thing I know for sure is that executives care about the bottom line. What generates profit. The name Star Wars got me in a seat 2x for TFA. I imagine it was the same for lots of folks. They don't care one way or the other, just as long as there is a substantial profit.

Can't fault the logic.

The only thing I know for sure is that executives care about the bottom line. What generates profit. The name Star Wars got me in a seat 2x for TFA. I imagine it was the same for lots of folks. They don't care one way or the other, just as long as there is a substantial profit.

As I get older I hear my Fathers words more and more in my mind. All he tried to teach his hard headed son. I can hear him clearly today. He loved SW's too. Not to the point of knowing all the trivia etc, but watched them often. When asked about the current tumult over TLJ and Solo, he'd surely say "What does it tell you?" I'd shrug and he'd reply "Money talks, all else walks. Checkbooks speak louder then words".

Can't fault the logic.

As I get older I hear my Fathers words more and more in my mind. All he tried to teach his hard headed son. I can hear him clearly today. He loved SW's too. Not to the point of knowing all the trivia etc, but watched them often. When asked about the current tumult over TLJ and Solo, he'd surely say "What does it tell you?" I'd shrug and he'd reply "Money talks, all else walks. Checkbooks speak louder then words".

Now that is wisdom.
  • EA_Cian
    971 posts EA Staff (retired)
    It's fine to discuss the rumors of Kathleen Kennedy's departure but this thread isn't doing so in a productive fashion (let's keep the calling out of 'SJWs' etc. out of the conversation - it's not conducive to a constructive discussion and falls under flamebait) so I've closed it.
  • Gorem wrote: »
    @Degs29 Hey I Agree, Rogue one was a good movie, I had said that in my other comment here :)
    And for han solo, it may be a good movie or it may not be, but I cannot get over how little the guy looks and sounds like Harrison Ford. To me, actors can't be replaced by new actors, I feel the same way with VA's too, the best way to ruin a show is to replace VA's... it would be like making Logan without Hugh Jackman.

So its more a personal thing as to why I'll never like young han in any movie, especially even after seeing you tube clips of near identical twins to Ford who even sound exactly like him, but even that would not be enough for me :D Just how I am. Which of course also makes me wonder how they explain Leia in ep9.
    Basically it comes down to this, we can debate all of this until the universe ends. If the revenues of SW 9 are as bad as Solo, we may not see anymore Star Wars movies because Lucasfilm/Disney will not admit they were wrong. Just as they are now stating SW Fatigue is the reason for poor returns.

Yeah this. If the fan boycott stays strong, we should see the same results for ep9 as we have for solo. They predicted Solo to open with 170million saying the boycott was nothing then instantly started up with excuses right after.

Marvel listens to their fans. They don't need excuses. They make fricking epic movies. Come on star wars, you know you can be better <3

Funny thing is Disney owns Marvel as well. It comes down to Lucasfilm mgmt. That I should live so long, to witness days like this.. Oh well I have been blessed with a vivid imagination and I can fix the problems in my mind. Free of cost, budgets, agendas, and all that jazz..
This discussion has been closed.