Anyone else tired of Marquee releases?

Atlas1
1713 posts Member
Not to beat a dead horse, but this release method is super stale. Auto battle, unlock at 3*, 4* if you want to spend $10, sits on bench for 6 weeks, and if it’s worth farming, you can be sure it’ll be a 6 month single hard node farm. It’s just not exciting. Please introduce characters in a more meaningful and exciting way. I feel like I’m on autopilot when they come out.

Replies

• Mirkraag
    509 posts Member
    that's simply crap, Auto, wait, bored.
    Honestly who will spend 5 times $300 in a row for some poorly designed not really star wars characters ? Playing with Enfy Nest is like playing Wow not star wars.
  • Wycross
    53 posts Member
    I agree. Marquee Events are no longer exciting. This ties right into frustration.

New character, unavailable except via paying. Fair enough, I suppose, but I think having every new character released in this manner is not fair enough, even if most of them are not arena viable.

Six weeks later, the character is available for crystals. Frustrating since crystals are the only way F2P players have to maybe hit new Hero's Journey characters when they are released.

Six more weeks later, new character is now farmable via one hard node. Super frustration because now it requires a 168 day farm without using crystals. This is using a starting point of 50 shards, 5 attempts per day without refreshing (as we are saving crystals), and a drop rate of 1/3, which seems to be accurate.

At 8 attempts per day, this number goes down to 105 days. That's a savings of 2 months, plus.

New characters needs different ways to be starred up. Marquee Events are vastly boring. I auto-battled through Lando, L3, and Falcon without enjoying a second of any of it.My reaction was more of "ho hum, guess I should click through this."

A new character release should be exciting. I haven't had that reaction in a long time since I know that I won't be able to use that character until long after the luster wears off.

I would love to have that excitement again. I suppose this is the reason that I am saving crystals up. Because at least if I have to crystal my way into the new Hero's Journey character, I'll have a usable character right out of the gate. Three star characters are locked out of too much content for it to be exciting.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    I agree, its engaging for a minute when you first run the event. I like to run some practices, but with this many releases relying on each other, I cant imagine too many people can take full advantage.

I did like the one tier that gave you all the toons that really require them all to be around to take full advantage.

Some are very useful at 3/4*, but this run (other than nest) is not really showing up.
  • Whatelse73
    2159 posts Member
    I'm guessing that CG makes a good chunk of money from the whales and krakens on these marquee characters, which is why they drop them as such. And it isn't from the 9.99 pack, it is from the 300ish dollars off getting them to 7*.

In the case of Solo characters, it seems quite a few people agree that we're waiting on other "wow!" characters to fill out the preparation teams and/or employ better synergy with them to be viable in certain parts of the game.

Of course, it sure would be nice if we were getting some DS characters from Solo and even TLJ so the LS/DS divide doesn't keep getting bigger and bigger.
  • Atlas1
    1713 posts Member
    I login daily and have done so since day 1 back in Nov 2015. I’ve yet to even open the Lando and L3 event because it almost feels like a chore at this point and that makes me sad.
  • As a FTP, I still love the marquee release cadence. I like that I have access to every character as it's released, and that there is no premium only characters. I'm happy to let the whales have a 12 week headstart, because the choice in this game is time vs money, and I'm not willing to spend the money. It seems like the best solution to keep FTP interested, while keeping the game funded.
  • Atlas1
    1713 posts Member
    I feel like they are punishing us since we rejected the endor escalation and dathomir events, but TBH they didn't really communicate the release cadence until far too late for people to take interest or at least have a strong reason to farm wicket and talzin... yeah I agree these marquees are pretty unimaginative at this point!

You still had to spend money to get Ewoks/NS to complete those events when they dropped. There is ZERO incentive to actually PLAY the game to earn toons. Either you wait and mindlessly auto nodes or you buy them.
  • Atlas1
    1713 posts Member
    As a FTP, I still love the marquee release cadence. I like that I have access to every character as it's released, and that there is no premium only characters. I'm happy to let the whales have a 12 week headstart, because the choice in this game is time vs money, and I'm not willing to spend the money. It seems like the best solution to keep FTP interested, while keeping the game funded.

I like the often release of toons, but it’s boring in the sense that they’ll always be 3* without paying money. I wish you could play to earn more shards. For instance, make the weekly reward in arena additional shards of the marquee character. Top 500 gets 10 extra shards, top 200 gets 15 extra, top 50 gets 20 extra, top 20 gets 25 shards, top 1 gets 50 shards/day. That would be some real incentive to play arena.
  • So what ideas for events are you suggesting, what could the event design be?
  • theatomicpun
    492 posts Member
    edited June 2018
    Atlas1 wrote: »

I like the often release of toons, but it’s boring in the sense that they’ll always be 3* without paying money. I wish you could play to earn more shards. For instance, make the weekly reward in arena additional shards of the marquee character. Top 500 gets 10 extra shards, top 200 gets 15 extra, top 50 gets 20 extra, top 20 gets 25 shards, top 1 gets 50 shards/day. That would be some real incentive to play arena.

I think the amount of shards you listed are way excessive, because again no one would pay because it would be too easy to get through arena. However, you can save the crystals you get as your arena payout to buy the packs if you want. So in essence you can still buy the characters with FTP rewards, it's just that we all know the crystals have more benefit being used for refreshes.
  • Atlas1
    1713 posts Member
    Atlas1 wrote: »

I think the amount of shards you listed are way excessive, because again no one would pay because it would be too easy to get through arena. However, you can save the crystals you get as your arena payout to buy the packs if you want. So in essence you can still buy the characters with FTP rewards, it's just that we all know the crystals have more benefit being used for refreshes.

Those shards numbers were an arbitrary example. They could be less, but the incentive also is reduced with smaller payouts (see existing events, TB & Raids excluded). Winning shards through actual gameplay is still more fun than clicking a button in the shop.
  • Atlas1
    1713 posts Member
    All I’m saying is, I want an incentive to play and my solution is the chance to earn more shards of a marquee character through gameplay. How that mode/reward is implemented is up to the devs.
  • I don't understand why they have to be 6 tiers with 3 encounters each tier. Like you are just trying to give us some shards and give us a feel for the character. It doesn't need to be this long
  • I am perfectly ok with the marquee system,but 3 at once was a real chore. The only thing that keeps me doing the marquees is to get the omega from the bonus tier.
  • I'm at the point where I don't even read the abilities (the fact the abilities are each a mile long contributes to that) or pay attention to what it's telling me. I know I won't be using these characters for months, so I honestly don't even care what they do.

Then they finally make their way to a hard node and I spend an additional couple months farming them.. So I wish I could say Marquee events excite me, but all they mean is in several months I will have an outdated character that could be inferior to whichever Marquee character that's being released then.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    I'm at the point where I don't even read the abilities (the fact the abilities are each a mile long contributes to that) or pay attention to what it's telling me. I know I won't be using these characters for months, so I honestly don't even care what they do.

Then they finally make their way to a hard node and I spend an additional couple months farming them.. So I wish I could say Marquee events excite me, but all they mean is in several months I will have an outdated character that could be inferior to whichever Marquee character that's being released then.

Any toon that came through a marquee that was useful was so at 3*. If you wanted them, you can plan and farm them pretty quickly after release. There is not a single useful toon that was "outdated" or "inferior" by the time you could have 7* then. Even in arena where the usefulness changes the quickest.

If you play it "smart" with a good plan and focus you can utilize the marquee events/toons to great effect as a f2p. This fact doesnt change the fact that the events do get dull, especially in mass like this past string.
  • Better than not getti g the toon whatsover like before
  • Atlas1
    1713 posts Member
    Better than not getti g the toon whatsover like before

True, but there is still plenty of room for improvement. That’s like saying eating one bowl of soup per day is better than eating dirt. A legendary event is akin to a steak dinner. We need something in between, or an improvement to the existing event.
  • Atlas1 wrote: »

True, but there is still plenty of room for improvement. That’s like saying eating one bowl of soup per day is better than eating dirt. A legendary event is akin to a steak dinner. We need something in between, or an improvement to the existing event.

We need a pasta bowl then.
  • YaeVizsla
    3448 posts Member
    My frustration is less the marquee structure, and more the single hard node structure. A lot of key units are locked behind a single hard node, and 198 days from zero to 7* is excessive.

Marquees, I get the character, toodle around with them, and gear them up if I care about them in preparation for them becoming free to play. I'll probably gear up Enfys and L3, and farm them when they hit free to play.

But single hard node? Yeesh. Even spending crystals on a node refresh every day is over three months. And node refresh is spending crystals to gain nothing; you need to spend to refresh the node, then spend again for the energy to capitalize on it.

Even a 16-energy cantina node can be pushed in 34 days, with only energy spends, which are an actual gain unlike node refreshes.

But on hard nodes as they're structured now, you're doing multiple toons in parallel for half a year and eventually getting a windfall of 7* toons long after the landscape of the meta has completely shifted.

That they just dropped hard node attempts from 8 to 5 is deeply frustrating, as doing the opposite, taking it up to 10, would make a 99 day farm without node refresh, 50 day with daily node refresh, and put it on a much more reasonable pace.
    Still not a he.
  • Atlas1 wrote: »

A bowl of soup is ... not better than dirt?
  • Zaraos
    771 posts Member
    I used to love marque events, the chance to get almost every character for free was amazing, theres always going to have to be a way for them to milk every new release for Cash, even if they changed the system it would just be replaced with something worse. However marque events and new characters in general has gone from excitement to just depression simply because all anyone thinks now whenever they release something new is "Sigh, just another problem for platoons" platoons overall have destroyed the excitement and fun of new characters in general
  • YaeVizsla
    3448 posts Member
    Oh God, yes. The marquee events themselves, I'm fine with, but then immediately introducing them to platoons is profoundly frustrating. And it seems annoying on both ends. Those who paid for those characters at seven stars probably want to play with their new toy, not dump them in a platoon like their 7* Lobot, and those who don't pay are just barred from it. And to hold an ability to fill platoons requires a continuous stream of purchased content that you can't actually make headway against.
    Still not a he.
  • Gorem
    1190 posts Member
    Yeah, Was quite surprised we got a large dump of these events all at once, and then at the same time, they all are now required in platoons at stars above the 4 mark, which requires you to pay. There is no way to complete these platoons for anyone not paying 300dollars per character x6? and then again, even putting one up (besides Nest) means you can't have a full team of prepared users in the combat missions, as you seem to require all of them at once to see them work.

They should at least wait until they are available from crystals before adding them to platoons above the 4 mark, at least that's pretty cheap for most to get.

For myself, I just do the events now for the free omega's and chance for a good mod with speed, the characters just stay there unlocked at 2star cause I know they will be unusable for an extremely long time.
  • Kyno wrote: »
    I'm at the point where I don't even read the abilities (the fact the abilities are each a mile long contributes to that) or pay attention to what it's telling me. I know I won't be using these characters for months, so I honestly don't even care what they do.

Any toon that came through a marquee that was useful was so at 3*. If you wanted them, you can plan and farm them pretty quickly after release. There is not a single useful toon that was "outdated" or "inferior" by the time you could have 7* then. Even in arena where the usefulness changes the quickest.

If you play it "smart" with a good plan and focus you can utilize the marquee events/toons to great effect as a f2p. This fact doesnt change the fact that the events do get dull, especially in mass like this past string.

I won't deny they are sometimes very useful for Arena or possibly TW, but as far as TB or Raids are concerned, a 3* Character isn't going to do you a lot of good.

I also said they -could- be inferior, which hasn't necessarily been the case with any characters that I can recall up to this point but it is still a possibility. I suppose I should clarify that by "outdated" I meant more that they were likely old news and that something newer and flashier is already on the scene. Take Talzin, for example. I am about 30 shards from 7* on her, as most people probably are who didn't refresh the events or pick up her shards, and the Nightsisters have pretty much vanished from most arenas as most people know how to easily deal with them by now. That's more along the lines of what I meant by "outdated".

I'm not really sure what you mean by play it "Smart", as most Marquee event characters are dropped out of the blue, making them rather difficult to plan ahead for.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Kyno wrote: »

I won't deny they are sometimes very useful for Arena or possibly TW, but as far as TB or Raids are concerned, a 3* Character isn't going to do you a lot of good.

I also said they -could- be inferior, which hasn't necessarily been the case with any characters that I can recall up to this point but it is still a possibility. I suppose I should clarify that by "outdated" I meant more that they were likely old news and that something newer and flashier is already on the scene. Take Talzin, for example. I am about 30 shards from 7* on her, as most people probably are who didn't refresh the events or pick up her shards, and the Nightsisters have pretty much vanished from most arenas as most people know how to easily deal with them by now. That's more along the lines of what I meant by "outdated".

I'm not really sure what you mean by play it "Smart", as most Marquee event characters are dropped out of the blue, making them rather difficult to plan ahead for.

TB and Raids and to a lesser extent arena are the only areas where those last few stars really matter. TW too but there is a little more flexibility there.

MT is a good example of a good investment, sure short lived in arena but anyone who worked her up early got zetas and a great TW counter team. but yes definitely short lived in arena,but i feel the zetas helped make it sting a little less.

with TW i feel toons get "outdated" a lot less than they used to be. any meta even pre TW is useful and some that were never there (murderbears)

smart is to always be planning/hoarding. never making a move unless it fits your plan. its hard to be pure f2p but the main disadvantage they have is flexibility. so they have to always be on plan and on target. but its not impossible for them to be a top player.