Character Packs - Are They Worth The Crystals?

TL;DR

I spent $100 on Vault of Crystals then spent the crystals on the Galactic Marauder Pack - Enfys Nest and all I got was this shirt.

https://youtu.be/NRzeEToQepc

Long Version

I've been playing this game for years. I have occasionally purchased character packs 1 or 2 depending on crystals I had saved up but I always ended up with only 5 character shards. I have read here and chatted with other players and I have only heard of 1 person getting getting enough shards to 7* the marquee toon, which i think was Mother Talzin (but this is unverified). I was just curious and wanted a first hand view of drop rates to determine if I will continue to pay 1,299 crystals (~$10) for these packs. I don't believe 2 attempts is enough to get an idea of the drop rates which is why I spent money so that i can have 12 continuous attempts.

I'm sure many players would like to make such purchases but it is expensive... there's lots of other things you can do with $100.

Disclaimer: This post is not meant to bash EA/CG. I acknowledge this is a F2P game and I been playing since 6 or so month after it dropped. I am a Star Wars fan and enjoy the Star Wars Galaxy of Heroes game. Its a game for the players and a business for the developers they have the right to make money and we have the right to investigate/research any product we want to purchase. This is more "research" on my behalf to help me decide what will be my best option when farming toons in the future. That being said I am sharing my results with members of the forum so you guys can see first hand what happened.

If anyone one has purchased these packs please let me know how was your luck.

P.S. The video I posted is a short 2 min version, I will post the long winded 10 min version sometime later as I am discussing the drop rates and other alternatives on farming character shards. I know some people like the meats and potatoes and others enjoy the slow burn.

Replies

• Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    The average drop is 5 or 7. but there are some 12s mixed in.

the average cost is about $200-300 and is fairly well documented on the forum. since it is all "research" on everyone's part its hard to track down everyone as the titles dont always say what you would think.
  • Options
    I got 1 pack of 7 crystals, then decided to research the rate of hitting a shard count I would find worth it. Thanks for your video of 11-12 rolls.
  • Options
    Kyno already mentioned it, but it's about $200 if you're lucky and $300+ if you're unlucky. I've only max rolled 1 character (Visas) and it was the equivalent of $275 in crystals.

I typically only buy the $10 pack with new character release (because I know the Devs gotta eat) and will occasionally buy a vault that I put towards G11 gear. Those yellow eyeballs and yellow medpacs drop so rarely from HAAT that I usually put a lot of crystals towards those and the occasional 20 MkV Stun Gun pack to augment my farm.
  • TVF
    36599 posts Member
    Options
    Are they worth it? Only you can answer for you.

But they're not worth it for me.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Options
    It’s gambling with crystals in stead of money... but I’ve bought 2 packs I believe, both for Nightsisters. I got 12 shards of a toon each time. The drops are extremely high weighted for low shard drops.
  • Drazhar
    784 posts Member
    Options
    I'm pleased to introduce you to the "random" number generator. And to the world of gambling, of course. Feeling a bit addicted?
  • Options
    I think that the $10 character packs with shards, skill tokens, and gear are worth it. The ones with an event where you get more stuff especially. The random ones seem very underwhelming.
  • myea8017
    192 posts Member
    Options
    I've bought the last 8 toons and ship. Only 1 time I hit a 15, the rest were 7 and below...mostly 7. I feel your frustration