Current in game "advertisement" Cubs Fan Han

Ethien
14 posts Member
Let me understand this correctly.

You have Game Changers
Which are players who have been given beta access and special accounts because of their popularity and time spent on the game though outreach in different social platforms.

You have beta testers as well.

Game changers have recently been spotlighted by your community outreach to bring a greater level of communication from your team to the community. You even started in game advertisements for their programs. Most of which are them showing content that is special released to them to help explain your game/content.

I guess I as a player am ok with you granting them greater exclusivity in their channels, which also grant them greater leverage in monetizing their channel. I have to watch 4-5 advertisements in some of these videos.

Today you advertised in game a live stream by "Cubs Fan Han" a Game Changer who was live-streaming test battles of his exclusive account.

In that stream he accepted Donations (Cash) to demonstrate a team. He utilizes tools no other player (or content creator) other then a game changer like himself has access to, to demonstrate these teams. He uses the tools you have given him to generate income from the community.

I dont know how i feel about this, but i really needed to type it all out to make sure we all are understanding it properly.

Replies

• Ethien wrote: »
    I dont know how i feel about this...

I don't feel anything about it - it's not for me. I don't watch nor donate. If I get an advertising pop-up then I shut it down.

Some people however like to get involved and join in - watch and maybe donate. Which is all good, their prerogative.

Get involved if you want, don't if you don't. Really no biggie.

• Could be wrong, but I believe that the account he uses is a "test" account. Either way, I'm waaayyy more irritated that I had to actually open a tab to read the whining and cryingt of this post. At least Han's pop up was easily by passed and only took up 2 seconds of my time.
  • Could be wrong, but I believe that the account he uses is a "test" account. Either way, I'm waaayyy more irritated that I had to actually open a tab to read the whining and cryingt of this post. At least Han's pop up was easily by passed and only took up 2 seconds of my time.
    You didn't have to open it
  • Roopehun
    344 posts Member
    Ethien wrote: »
    I dont know how i feel about this, but i really needed to type it all out to make sure we all are understanding it properly.

Dont try to fool yourself or anyone else, youre clearly feeling jealousy.
    The good thing however is that its completely normal. He plays with exclusive toys and also earns money with it. What an opportunity!
    However, even if I also find that guy very annyoing, I accept that he's either worked hard to get where he is, or he was extremely lucky. Both deserve a good reward, which he's rightfully enjoying.

I dont find him entertaining and useful at all, so I dont watch any of his videos, but if someone actually does, I see no problem for them to donate him some.
    Same thing with SWGoh, if you like what theyre doing (str, str reward revamp, fleet2. 0..) then spend money on this game. If not, well, dont. I like that the choice is ours - through cautious spend, we can actually influence where things are going.

I don't feel anything about it - it's not for me. I don't watch nor donate. If I get an advertising pop-up then I shut it down.

Some people however like to get involved and join in - watch and maybe donate. Which is all good, their prerogative.

That's not his point, his point is that the game is advertising for a player's channel
  • Lets put things into perspective.

He created content for swgoh. That's how he got his popularity.
    (This 'he' doesn't just refer to a single GC, but to every GC as a whole.)

Swgoh devs identify that these people are publicising the game, so give them special benefits.

Now, they do use it for community welfarement, don't possess any misconception. There are many videos on anti-meta teams, raid teams, guides, mods, sometimes criticism for an action taken by CG etc.

But, during livestreams; having special preferance for a group of patrons.. That really puts them in a grey area.
    Is it right? Is it wrong? Is it deserving? Is it not?

Only CG can answer this. It depends on whether CG gave the GC their special accounts for public benefit or personal. They do both for now.

Ps. I support the GC program as a whole. It gives the community ,as a whole ,a lot of ideas and spreads info very fast. It has way more benefits than flaws.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    the gamechanger program is just advertisement, i'd rather watch independent youtubers.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • It's really sad how people give these guys their own money just to watch an arena battle
  • TVF
    36526 posts Member

That's not his point, his point is that the game is advertising for a player's channel

So what?

Like CJ said, you don't like it, ignore it.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • NicWester
    8928 posts Member
    It's really sad how people give these guys their own money just to watch an arena battle
    You must not watch Twitch streamers.

You're not paying to watch an Arena battle or whatever. You're tipping an entertainer for performing. If you're not entertained, then not only do you not have to tip, hell, you don't even have to watch. I got two pop ups yesterday and closed them both so fast that I didn't even know one was for Cubs Fan Han until I saw this thread.
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.

And?

How is that an issue or a problem or even of any interest to me?
  • leef
    13458 posts Member

And?

i do not think it benefits the community that ea/cg promotes certain yt channels and provides the owners with exclusive content, especially not if those channel owners chose to milk it for everything it's worth.
    Do i care about it? No.
  • NicWester wrote: »
    It's really sad how people give these guys their own money just to watch an arena battle
    You must not watch Twitch streamers.

You're not paying to watch an Arena battle or whatever. You're tipping an entertainer for performing. If you're not entertained, then not only do you not have to tip, hell, you don't even have to watch. I got two pop ups yesterday and closed them both so fast that I didn't even know one was for Cubs Fan Han until I saw this thread.

People literally give these guys money to " test " arena teams so idk what point you're trying to make. I don't care what others do with their time/ money, just saying personally it seems sad and a waste of money
  • TVF
    36526 posts Member
    leef wrote: »

And?

i do not think it benefits the community that ea/cg promotes certain yt channels and provides the owners with exclusive content, especially not if those channel owners chose to milk it for everything it's worth.
    Do i care about it? No.

It may not benefit the community but it also doesn't hurt the community.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    TVF wrote: »

And?

Do i care about it? No.

I don't know, i would have prefered to just get the "exclusive" information from ea/cg instead of having to watch a vid by a third party. I don't want people to have to option to pay 10 bucks a month to get to talk to the a gamechanger who may or may not divulge some key information that could potentially influence ingame performance.
    O man, i'd love to go full tin foil hat on this one. I'm super biased, i really dislike the gamehanger program.
  • leef wrote: »

And?

Do i care about it? No.

I don't know, i would have prefered to just get the "exclusive" information from ea/cg instead of having to watch a vid by a third party. I don't want people to have to option to pay 10 bucks a month to get to talk to the a gamechanger who may or may not divulge some key information that could potentially influence ingame performance.
    O man, i'd love to go full tin foil hat on this one. I'm super biased, i really dislike the gamehanger program.

My hero lol
  • TVF
    36526 posts Member

And?

Do i care about it? No.

Don't worry, many Bothan spies may die, but they'll get the information out to us somehow.
  • TVF wrote: »

And?

Do i care about it? No.

Don't worry, many Bothan spies may die, but they'll get the information out to us somehow.

Help me Woe Begon, you're my only hype..
  • Ethien
    14 posts Member
    Is this really "off topic" what is "on topic" is this community that fractured.

I feel "off topic" might be things like me talking about how Star Wars Solo was a good movie.

This would fall under General SWGOH Discussion right?

I like reading the replys tho.
  • Foxer
    461 posts Member
    I was actually a big fan on his until this move.... he makes money on ads and views for SWGOH to allow him to make money on an advertised stream to “test” requested teams with his exclusive content.

Something about it just didn’t sit right and I’ll be changing my go to Chanel for info. Simply posted my opinion and maybe it gets scene.
  • You’ve got a choice. Pays your money or don’t. Personally I enjoy some of the content they make, but I’m not interested in giving them real money for it. I watch YT vids with adverts turned ON as my way of supporting the GCs I watch.
  • You’ve got a choice. Pays your money or don’t.

It's really not any more complicated than that.

I admit- I'm often jealous of folk with so few real difficulties in their lives that this stuff can afford their concern.

• You’ve got a choice. Pays your money or don’t. Personally I enjoy some of the content they make, but I’m not interested in giving them real money for it. I watch YT vids with adverts turned ON as my way of supporting the GCs I watch.

You can turn off ads on YouTube?
  • kello_511
    1648 posts Member
    I do understand OPs concern here.

Essentially, game changers have been given access to exclusive content, with which they make videos to showcase that new content for all of us. It’s anfree ad for CG and it also helps boost the game changers profile and followers. That’s Win/win and there is no conflict of interest there.

The questionable part comes when those gamechangers take that same exclusive access and essentially charge people to see it. That’s certainly entering some murky waters. “CG gave me this exclusive access to this content in order to promote their product, and if you pay me $x you can see it!”

I liken this to a company (let’s say Coke) buying advertising time to run a commercial, only to have Fox then charge people for the right to watch the commercial.

At the end of the day, I guess it comes down to CG and whether they take issue with this practice or not.
  • kello_511
    1648 posts Member

And?

Do i care about it? No.

I’m with you on this one. It’s more about where the future leads based on the success of this, right?

If people say that they don’t like the game changer videos but elect to watch them anyway, they are showing support for the program and it will continue/evolve.
    As others have said...if you don’t like them, don’t watch them!
  • Don't particularly care for the ads in game for their videos. I can find them myself easily enough.

Those test accounts are the closest we'll get to a sandbox mode though. At least for a while.

Sadly people keep on asking for the same things every video. They have access to nearly every possible combination of teams in the game, come up with something that doesn't involve triumverate.

I mainly watch MobileGamer as he covers that other game as well. Plus I find his sometimes questionable command of the English language entertaining.

I don't mind the content much hence why I watch it. It's my source of news as I'm on Youtube more than I am here so they are handy.

Hey, it's still better than MSF
  • wew you are finding too much too complain about, just close the ad and forget about it
  • I've narrowed down my list GC's I watch to mobilegamer Ahnald. I did watch others. One I use to watch I guess got a job at CG, but that channel was kinda boring. The only time it was any good is one there was guests on it. Another GC made remarks towards handicap people so I stopped watching. Another was so arrogant, I just couldn't sit through it. The point of my post is, watch them or don't watch, you make that choice. If there's a pop up, close it.