Marquee events - A more fair system

Daishi
718 posts Member
Currently marquee events show up, last for a week and give out some decent mods (for low levels) and 50 shards of a toon. This is a nice bonus, but I feel it also grants an unfair advantage for older players over new.

What I propose:
Marquee events last for a week, and if completed, they vanish at the end of the week. However for any players who have never completed them, they will remain indefinitely.
The system is already in place, legendary events dont show up for players who have them at 7☆.

This would allow new players to get a significant boost by earning a lot of toons at 3☆. I would eliminate the mod rewards after the initial week and just leave the shards, so there is still a slight advantage for being there when they first drop.

This would help speed up the lower levels of play and maybe break up the meta some at the start of the game.

I realized how nice this would be when starting a new alt, and realizing how difficult it was to get dark toons, and what a benefit the marquee was to low level players.

Replies

• The point of marquees now is to introduce new characters and their kits. It's a fair way to introduce new characters into the game as we have a cadence for characters. It also promotes the "rewards"/benefit of players being active and for a long time.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    You mean for player just joining the game or hitting the level when they unlock? They would just have access to every marquee event as soon as they hit the level to unlock?

Have you thought about that being the point, it's a reward for people who have been committed and play the game at X time.

Marquee events are release events, they are not meant to be farming locations.

New players are for the most part not going to be playing against anyone else that will have these toons, except in rare cases of timing. Not sure why they should get this advantage. When in the early stages this could also be a huge detriment as it would almost inevitably spread them too thin and cause other issues with a flood of toons.

Also just like log in bonuses in this game and many others, they reward activity.
  • Daishi
    718 posts Member
    I agree that they should reward activity, but something like marquee should be available to everyone once they've been released. I agree with rewarding activity, but the way marquee events work actually punish players who weren't playing for any period.

For instance, my account was inactive for awhile, and I missed DNihilus release. Now farming DN from a single hard mode means I avg 1-3 a day at best. Meaning that missing the 50 shards from marquee put me a month or more behind anyone else...

Go on vacation for a week and miss a marquee (they dont announce) and if the toon is meta changing (DN/Sion) you're just out of luck for months and then when they become farmable you're a month behind or more.

I feel the free mods are enough of an activity reward but putting new players or returning players even farther behind the curve is just punishing
  • YaeVizsla
    3448 posts Member
    Other people getting nice things is not you getting punished.
    Still not a he.
  • Daishi
    718 posts Member
    Others also getting nice things doesnt degrade your special status. The same argument can be applied both ways. As a player who returned from an extended break, and started an alt... I see the benefit to all players allowing all marquee events to be finished by all players.

Why did they give the quest rewards to players who had already completed those tasks? They could have added quest system and only made it available for new players... them getting nice things wouldn't have effected existing high levels. But everyone would have lost their minds. But the discussion of making the game easier for new players or equal availability for returning players upsets people.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Daishi wrote: »
    I agree that they should reward activity, but something like marquee should be available to everyone once they've been released. I agree with rewarding activity, but the way marquee events work actually punish players who weren't playing for any period.

For instance, my account was inactive for awhile, and I missed DNihilus release. Now farming DN from a single hard mode means I avg 1-3 a day at best. Meaning that missing the 50 shards from marquee put me a month or more behind anyone else...

Go on vacation for a week and miss a marquee (they dont announce) and if the toon is meta changing (DN/Sion) you're just out of luck for months and then when they become farmable you're a month behind or more.

I feel the free mods are enough of an activity reward but putting new players or returning players even farther behind the curve is just punishing

correct, they want people to stay active. Yes you lose out if you are not regularly active. thats the reward people get for not taking breaks. If you agree with rewarding activity, then you can see why they shouldn't do what you are suggesting.

yes, missing an event means you are behind. yes that can put you back a month longer than someone who was there for the event. thats the point.

someone who logs in multiple times a day will be able to get all refreshes on stores and the free energy, someone who can't misses out. its the same concept, just on a larger timescale.
  • YaeVizsla
    3448 posts Member
    Also, from a design perspective, *ding*, fifty quests just dropped is a terrible and grindy mechanic.

Further, as the vast majority of those characters are already available to farm F2P, they don't need a marquee event for you to pursue them.
    Still not a he.
  • YaeVizsla wrote: »
    Other people getting nice things is not you getting punished.

• Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Daishi wrote: »

Players who are inactive during the events are not punished in any way. They don't have anything at all removed from their accounts or rosters. However, players that are active during the events and play the events will be rewarded with 50 shards of new characters and a bunch of mods of various quality.

If you agree with rewarding activity, why do you oppose this?

• BionicGolem
    167 posts Member
    edited June 2018
    You should be happy that we have marquee events at all, they used to release most of the new characters straight into chromium packs without any deadline for them to go to farmable location.
  • Daishi
    718 posts Member
    You should be happy that we have marquee events at all, they used to release most of the new characters straight into chromium packs without any deadline for them to go to farmable location.

Oh I know... day 1 player here, just took a year or so hiatus. I remember how it used to be, and actually think I might prefer that tbh.

I dont really, it ****. But the current system sucks too. 50 shards, a long wait for farmable, and if you happened to miss the week long event, you start even farther behind.
    YaeVizsla wrote: »
    Also, from a design perspective, *ding*, fifty quests just dropped is a terrible and grindy mechanic.

Further, as the vast majority of those characters are already available to farm F2P, they don't need a marquee event for you to pursue them.

This is a good point... maybe have them rotate like legendary events, or have a few bound to certain levels. Hit level 10 and unlock 3 marquee events, level 20 another 3, etc.
  • thespacemonkey07
    9 posts Member
    edited November 2018
    I'm going to quit bothering with the Marquis this especially since they took out the fact that you don't even getting anything really for doing the levels like they took out the ally point too those add up and i use them in the whale store really I'm getting closer and closer to quitting the game also I'm a dolphin so I spend regularly the way things are now though looks like I'll be keeping my money and finding something else to do with my time what do i want with a three star mostly sucky 400 dollar toon if i want it any better i know you got to make money to run everything and for profit but come on manual to a good product things going downhill and then you can always say it's the little things that matter the only reason I'm even considering keeping my money and not paying or playing anymore is over the stupid Ally credits give us better mod give us better credits give us something better when we do Marquis and then we do them over don't take away the only thing you give us
  • So... I’m level 38, near 39, returning super old player. I only rejoined for the Hux event. It says NOTHING about a level lock and yet I can’t open it. ****.
  • @CG_SBCrumb I was going to create a new post similar to this but it got necro bumped anyways! I would like to suggest adding all marquees to the journey guide. Those 50 shards for marquees are a huge boost and giving new players access to old marquees will make the game feel fuller to new players and give them significant progress towards maxing or starting many characters. If paired with the hyperdrive bundle it even helps them boost closer to 6* and raid viability.

Highly recommend adding marquee events to journey guide
This discussion has been closed.