Supposed to be 'mid-game' but not feeling like it

I could use some advice. I love this game but I feel like I've made some mistakes getting to this point and don't know if I should continue or start from scratch.

I'm level 71. I'm at #1603 in squad arena and struggle to stay there. I'm #1017 in Ships and I hang around high 900s to low 1,000s. My squad is not harmonious, but I don't have many options because my toons that are strong enough to be taken to battle don't really match up. On top of that, I didn't play swgoh for a while and just started up again. Last time I was here heals still mattered.

I've been working on Phoenix for the past few days, so I can hopefully be ready for a Palpatine and/or Thrawn event in the future. I keep seeing this advice everywhere, so I've been going with it. Is it just me or did Galactic War get 10x harder? I used to use it for a lot of my income but I can't get more than a few nodes in, now. Any advice there? I'm very lucky to get to 300 GW tokens in a day.

That's indicative of my biggest problem. I feel like the game expects me to be a lot stronger than I am, so everything feels difficult.

Here is my swgoh.gg link: https://swgoh.gg/u/tarasca/
Yeah, I know. But at the time, Jedi Consular seemed pretty good.

Thanks for reading this! :)

Replies

• nobodyfromjakku
    240 posts Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Ok, looking over your roster, you really just need some focus. You have a couple of team bases (Rebels, Sith) that could probably move you up in Arena and help you get through GW, but they're not developed. Rather than starting over with yet another faction, maybe build on what you have so you can get your income sorted out.

If you want to salvage this, I think your Rebel team can bring you up (and can get you Palp someday). Leia, Biggs, STHan, JC, and K-2SO or Boba can get you along if you develop them better. In the meantime, farm Wedge from Cantina. Another option would be Vader, Sidious, Dooku, KRU, and JC. (Until you get a self-healing mechanism, a healer can help.) Use both of these squads in GW, mix and match as needed, and use the restart button liberally.

It looks like you're having a credit crunch problem. You've got a lot of toons unlocked, but only a couple are leveled up. Getting a squad of 5 toons to your max level is going to make a big difference for you. It will put your potency/tenacity on par with what you're facing in GW and arena, and well as increasing the stats of your toons overall. Scoundrels let you complete credit heists. You want to complete the highest-level heist available to you. If you can't do that, you need to focus on getting your scoundrels geared and modded.

Be very focused in your gear and credits. Don't unlock, star, or level toons unless you're going to use them immediately. Don't add gear on them just because you have it. A little discipline goes a long way.

Finally, are you in a guild that's helping you grow? At your level, you'll benefit a lot from Heroic Pit raids 3 times a week and AAT at least once a week. If your guild can't do that, find one that can.
  • Options
    ^ This is a good and valuable post.

@tarasca - Not wishing to patronise but I wouldn't say you're mid-game at all. You've got a lot of work to do - but you can do it! Especially if you listen to the wise advice of those much wiser than me that are sure to answer any and all questions you have.

I would say this - I think the game goes through peaks and troughs. Periods where you feel like you're flying - you're really advancing, unlocking new powerful characters with lots of use and achieving lots of goals. Other times, it drags - you feel like you're going nowhere, achieving little and progressing even less. I'm currently in the latter phase! But it does change. With hard work, discipline and focus (and/or by dropping cash down). You will find your way to more fertile pastures.
  • BubbaFett
    3311 posts Member
    Options
    71 is not midgame imop...... LVL 85 and about 600k to is mid.game imop..... Stick with your plans and always have your next plan in mind..... If Phoenix is your current goal, then think of what your next team will be and work towards that..... Ie, palp and.thrawn and three others with synergy.....

-;farm by team not by toon
    -map out where they are in shipments and have a plan on who is next in each store....
    -dont forget scoundrels for credit heist
  • Options
    ^ This.
  • Options
    Thank you so much for the advice, everyone! @nobodyfromjakku I took your advice on the Sith team and I'm doing much better in GW which is a relief. The rebel team isn't quite up to scratch--especially with STH being as weak as he is. At any rate, I think I'll be back on the path to success, soon!
  • Options
    BubbaFett wrote: »
    71 is not midgame imop...... LVL 85 and about 600k to is mid.game imop..... Stick with your plans and always have your next plan in mind..... If Phoenix is your current goal, then think of what your next team will be and work towards that..... Ie, palp and.thrawn and three others with synergy.....

-;farm by team not by toon
    -map out where they are in shipments and have a plan on who is next in each store....
    -dont forget scoundrels for credit heist

As I see it, early game is all about building up one strong light side team and one strong dark side team to the point where they're arena viable. If you're following most guides, those teams are typically Phoenix and Empire.
    Mid game is about getting legendary characters. It's where you focus on getting Commander Luke and Jedi Training Rey, the raid characters, etc.
    And after you have all or most of the legendaries, you're in late game. Late game is about filling out your roster, getting specific teams for the different events, for territory battles, and for the heroic Sith raid. And it's about theory crafting and trying new characters or new combinations for raids, territory wars, and arena.

For early and mid-game players, focus is the key. You can only build up a certain number of characters, and specific characters are going to be harder to farm or gear than others. Keep focusing on the characters and teams you want, and you'll progress faster toward your goals.
  • Options
    With regards to the credit issue I had to switch from small guild barely doing a raid every couple of weeks to a bigger more active guild doing raids every 3-4 days. Really helps, even just joining and not doing any damage yields a sizeable amount of credits.

I'm level 75. Good news is levelling slows down A LOT, you can play catch up and not worry about getting your toons up much above 70 for a while.

Depending where your guilds at with raids you may want to knock out at least one 7* just so you can post a no damage on a heroic or high tier raid.

Like everybody else said though just focus on one faction. Synergy really goes a long way, it's why Phoenix are so common around mid to late game. Plus they fill in a few legendary requirements. Might be a bit late to start a fresh farm on those for now.

Oh and you'll need millions just for 5 dot mods as well. Those are really expensive to max out. I still haven't done most of mine.
    Hey, it's still better than MSF
  • Options
    Build a farming sheet, I spent up to maybe level 60-65 just random farming characters I liked just to unlock them and had a lot of low starred/geared toons with no value or synergy. I then got an Excel sheet of this forum with which shop/node each and every character/ship is available on and prioritised each one so I wasn't wasting resources and it made a massive difference just to have a focus. I suddenly was getting teams instead of individuals and opening up a lot more game content and rewards as a result.

Also switching guilds as mine was only half full and the additional raid rewards have sped up my progress a lot.
  • Options
    Synergy really goes a long way, it's why Phoenix are so common around mid to late game. Plus they fill in a few legendary requirements.

Good post indeed except that bit. Phoenix are common early game. Far, far less so mid to end game.

• Options
    Thank you so much everyone for your help. As of five minutes ago I unlocked Emperor Palpatine at 6 stars! My rebel Wiggs synergy team has gotten me above #1000 in arena and I think I can push a little higher. I'm about #850 or so in fleet arena. I never thought I'd get there. I'm in a new guild and I'm contributing very very slightly to raids and territory battles and gaining a lot in return. I can get through GW with no trouble almost every day, which is giving me the credits and materials to get my abilities and levels to a more reasonable level. No Thrawn this time, but I didn't expect to get Palpatine so i'm at peace with missing him for now. :)

I have a farming sheet now, I'm focused and the game is a lot more fun. Again, thank you everyone for your help!
  • BubbaFett
    3311 posts Member
    Options
    @tarasca that's great to hear..... Stick with wiggs and get those toons needed for CLS and you will soon enough have yourself a solid danger zone team.....
  • Options
    Dude i was in basically the exact same position as you! near enough everything you said i could relate to. And thanks to everyone on this post and those who comment on threads i had posted i am in a much better position now like you. GW is a breeze to complete each day and ive also broke through the 1000 barrier in arena! I just unlocked palp at 6* as well and the game is a lot more enjoyable for me now too!

Did we just become best friends?
  • Options
    tarasca wrote: »
    I could use some advice. I love this game but I feel like I've made some mistakes getting to this point and don't know if I should continue or start from scratch.

I'm level 71. I'm at #1603 in squad arena and struggle to stay there. I'm #1017 in Ships and I hang around high 900s to low 1,000s. My squad is not harmonious, but I don't have many options because my toons that are strong enough to be taken to battle don't really match up. On top of that, I didn't play swgoh for a while and just started up again. Last time I was here heals still mattered.

I've been working on Phoenix for the past few days, so I can hopefully be ready for a Palpatine and/or Thrawn event in the future. I keep seeing this advice everywhere, so I've been going with it. Is it just me or did Galactic War get 10x harder? I used to use it for a lot of my income but I can't get more than a few nodes in, now. Any advice there? I'm very lucky to get to 300 GW tokens in a day.

That's indicative of my biggest problem. I feel like the game expects me to be a lot stronger than I am, so everything feels difficult.

Here is my swgoh.gg link: https://swgoh.gg/u/tarasca/
    Yeah, I know. But at the time, Jedi Consular seemed pretty good.

Thanks for reading this! :)

I feel your pain. I started at launch and played through the Rancor raid release and then stopped for a couple of years before picking back up here in early May. I too feel like I'm way behind. I've managed to complete most of the legendary events since coming back at a 5* level at least (except bb-8), but feel like I get stuck on the node 11 or 12 every other day or so on GW, and am finding it impossible to move higher than about 750 in squad arena and 600 in ships (ships hadn't even launched when I stopped playing). I feel like part of it is tied to being in a very early shard for arena's so I'm going up against LONG time players and more than a few whales among them.

I've been working on Phoenix since coming back and almost have them all to 7* and gear 7-8+, though I'm having a hard time with unlocking 6* Thrawn but I get it with my Phoenix squad being behind on abilities too.

I think for me, the biggest issue is keeping enough credits, ability mats, and training droids to level these guys up and it doesn't really seem like it'll let up anytime soon as I still have to round out Resistance, Empire, First Order, and Scoundrel teams for a variety of purposes (JTR, R2D2/CLS, BB8, Credit Heist, etc).

https://swgoh.gg/u/dagor187/

• Options
    Feel free to add me as an ally : 453-621-327

Message me if you need a specific hero.
  • Hellsteeth30
    832 posts Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    I know I'm mid game due to GW. The last few days it's been a real pain to complete. Really got tougher at about 79. Level 85 Zeta teams have started turning up.

Nest got me 2 days ago (I basically only have Nihilus 3* and he can't be kept alive long enough) and last night at node 12 it was a Zalpatine lead FO/Empire mix team (KRU and OG Kylo).

Phoenix are starting to not be all that.

I'm keeping a few million around so I can level them once I hit 81. 7* Thrawn is just out of reach.
  • BubbaFett
    3311 posts Member
    Options
    I know I'm mid game due to GW. The last few days it's been a real pain to complete. Really got tougher at about 79. Level 85 Zeta teams have started turning up.

Nest got me 2 days ago (I basically only have Nihilus 3* and he can't be kept alive long enough) and last night at node 12 it was a Zalpatine lead FO/Empire mix team (KRU and OG Kylo).

Phoenix are starting to not be all that.

I'm keeping a few million around so I can level them once I hit 81. 7* Thrawn is just out of reach.

Level 81 and running Phoenix is not midgame..... At level 81, you haven't unlocked everything yet..... You have a ways to go, but it gets better....
  • Shadowscream
    970 posts Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Phoenix can pretty much solo GW....HOWEVER, against an anomaly Zeta team it really helps to have a couple of backup teams that can take out 1 or 2 from that team, then roll out your Phoenix team. E.g. Wiggs, Leia, TFP etc can usually eliminate a high priority target like Palps.....then your Phoenix is 5 vs 4
  • Options
    I also disagree with people saying “running Phoenix at 80-85” is not midgame. I kept pushing my Phoenix to G11, 7* Sabine whilst replacing with Empire in Arena. I don’t regret having pushed my Phoenix to the limit....they are helpful in other areas of the game.
  • Options
    My backup Empire team is around 70 ish, Thrawn is a recent addition so he's not geared up yet. That got annihilated by last nights node 12 team without ever getting a turn. So that was my Palp (maxed lead sans Zeta), Vader, TFP, Tarkin and Boba (placeholder for Thrawn basically).

I got it eventually through sheer persistence but lost Ezra early so you can imagine how long that took in the end. Had to throw a team away to slow them down a bit and hurt Palp enough to bring him down fast.

Normally Phoenix do indeed smash it but there's a discrepancy in gear between G8 (Zeb) G9 (Kanan and Chopper) and the other two at 10. Too many stun guns needed.

The Nest I came across the night before was G11 with about 50K protection. I have nothing that could hit hard enough to deal with that. If I had Thrawn usable I could have fractured her and kept her locked down long enough to set up annihilate (I know fracture is generally a bad idea against nest, normally).

Just got Zebs unique omega'd which leaves me two uniques left to do. Ezra and Chopper. Once those are done I might end up back at easy mode GW with some mod adjustments.

• Naraic
    2243 posts Member
    Options
    (I know fracture is generally a bad idea against nest, normally).

Not really, personally two of my three main strategies for nest include fracture, yes one is anihilate but still.

1. fracture, tmr, stack debuffs, let her take a turn, culling blade one hit knockout

2. Fracture shut her down anihilate
  • Options
    TBH, If I could have got that protection off her she would fall over in one hit.

She was completely wrecking face though, she pretty much soloed my Empire team (not especially well tooled up). Tarkin was outta there fast (no culling blade setup). TIE pilot forget about it, Palp falls over if anybody sneezes.

It's a moot point anyway that was the first node 9 loss since maybe level 50 ish. I may need to setup a Nest destroyer team next time. Thrawn is a ways off being ready to take on an 85 anything though, even CUP.