15 Zeros.

Prev13
VonZant
3843 posts Member
So we are halfway through phase 3 and 15 people have not scored a point. We do tier 4. What do yall do to keep people going without having to kick out half of your guild? I know Nihilus is annoying but posting a zero for that long hurts everyone. GMY should help a lot of folks that dont have JTR.

Any suggestions? Obviously we are pretty laid back but that is a but to far. 82M Guild.

Replies

• I know my score isn't going to be top of the table for a while but I can make the enrage timer now, so I do that and forget about for the rest of the day.

I use it as a gauge to see how my team(s) are coming along. That's why I keep stabbing at it.

Fortunately most of my guilds big hitters drop Nihilus within a week.or so, then it goes by fairly fast after that.
    Hey, it's still better than MSF
  • We are in the same boat as you VonZant. Apparently CG is worried about making changes to help a dozen people who no longer spend money because they have been given everhthing to stay on top. There is very little incentive to continue on. Im going to shake things up soon and see if they want to do a tier 6 to unlock heroic. Failing a heroic might motivate people to get better
  • Odin_Noah wrote: »
    We are in the same boat as you VonZant. Apparently CG is worried about making changes to help a dozen people who no longer spend money because they have been given everhthing to stay on top. There is very little incentive to continue on. Im going to shake things up soon and see if they want to do a tier 6 to unlock heroic. Failing a heroic might motivate people to get better

I was thinking the same thing. Just wasn't sure i wanted to delicate the tickets to the cause.

I've just been ignoring the 0s and doing my insane damage. We have t4 down to almost 24 hours, but t5 took 6 days. I think fast clears give more incentive to help out, but our guild is casually hardcore so we aren't going to really kick the 0s, bit mayne guilt trip them into helping.
  • Mr_Sausage
    1869 posts Member
    I’m going through the same thing with my guild. We have 15 or so people who are completely deflated by the raid. I plead with people if you hate the raid that much just put a team in and hit auto but it never happens.
  • Rebel_yell
    928 posts Member
    edited June 2018
    I really hope they decrease the difficulty on T1-4.

That said, I'd either drop a tier or just start wasting tickets. If you're running STR every day people are going to get burned out. Plus, if you start wasting tickets, those zero posters may start participating because they know without participation they'll waste tickets / currency / rewards.

Or maybe you just ask for people to commit to using 1 team a day. Set the bar low so guild mates start engaging with it again. They may find they are having better success and come back to it on their own.

You're right though, it's a tough spot right now. Guilds are having trouble recruiting if they're not running Heroic because a lot of guild hoppers out there feel entitled. So kicking people just reduces tickets and may not be able to replace them with equal quality.
  • VonZant
    3843 posts Member
    Yeah. Its Nihilus-itis. He is extremely annoying and people just dont like to fight him. Then they have to go through the pain again in p4. Hard, I get. Just flat-out so annoying that a large percentage of the guild doesnt even bother? That needs to be fixed. At least reduce his obscene HP pool. Its so big that we usually have to sped 5 teams x2 in P1 and 5 teams x2 in P4. Fighting the most annoying fight in the game 20 times in one raid is bad.

We could always break up the guild but encouraging people to do that is bad too. I dont want to leave my guild.

T3 isnt an answer. 5-10 of us can beat it in one day. That is bad going the other way.
  • You need to decide what kind of guild you want to be...if your more laid back/casual, then just keep hitting t4 and take the rewards. I run a 85 million gp guild with 43 members currently, and we can take a t4 in about 24 hours or so, and t5 takes about 6 days...we had some participants who were doing zero damage, and they are no longer with us. I made the Sith raid mandatory, and only ask those who dont care for the raid to drop 5 squads in a day on auto battle. Doesnt help as much if they were actually doing the battles, but its something. You could also try setting certain toons/squads(Nightsisters for p4, chex mix, etc) as "mandatory " farms to give your members a goal to work towards for when your ready for t6 and heroic.

Unfortunately if you have plans on a heroic run, you will need all 50 members to be able to contribute, and if they aren't willing to improve their rosters and participate, then they need to be shown the door. I would also consider maybe a merger with another like minded group who are in the same situation you and alot of guilds are in.
  • Naraic
    2243 posts Member
    When i was in a 90 million guild doing tier 5 i was a million gp total.

There was no phase that i couldnt pull 2% in 5 runs.

Ill be honest and say that i dont ahve much sympathy for the people that dont make an effort if a 1 million gp player can pull 2% in phase 1 in 5 runs what excuse does anyone have.
  • Haydigan
    414 posts Member
    Put one to the sword and a thousand will follow.

Kick the weakest link and put the rest on notice. I've had to turn over a few non-contributors without going too crazy all at once.

Hopefully it all pays off and we can get through the HSTR in the next couple of weeks.
  • VonZant
    3843 posts Member
    Yeah, dont want to kick people.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    VonZant wrote: »
    Yeah. Its Nihilus-itis. He is extremely annoying and people just dont like to fight him. Then they have to go through the pain again in p4. Hard, I get. Just flat-out so annoying that a large percentage of the guild doesnt even bother? That needs to be fixed. At least reduce his obscene HP pool. Its so big that we usually have to sped 5 teams x2 in P1 and 5 teams x2 in P4. Fighting the most annoying fight in the game 20 times in one raid is bad.

Agreed. It should be fixed. However, we probably don't quite agree on which side it should be fixed. There are plenty of teams that work well in non—heroic phase 1:

Irresistable TM removal works ok (much better in phase 4, though). Try you Assaj lead NS and your zader teams. (However, DoTs don't stick).

Detonators work well. Read up on.'the big JC' team built around JE to place detonators, 3 assist—callers and TM—givers and JC as healer. Luminara leading the 4 remaining jawa (relying on scavenger to place detonators) also works quite well.

Magmatrooper machinegun teams do good damage. Kill adds, put deathmark on DN and let magmatrooper fire his rounds with huge TM gains from crits (and let Thrawn use his fracture with deathmark).

With those teams phase 1 will be over in no time.

Good luck and have fun fixing your teams :—)

• Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    So we are halfway through phase 3 and 15 people have not scored a point. We do tier 4. What do yall do to keep people going without having to kick out half of your guild? I know Nihilus is annoying but posting a zero for that long hurts everyone.

Whatever you do it should concure with the type of guild you aim to be and what the majority of the members expect it to be.

If your guild aims at progressing, then require your members to fight every phase of the raid. Share knowledge on which teams people should farm for each phase (see my post above regarding phase 1). And perhaps progress to tier 5 instead simply to send the message that this is where you want to progress to. If some people loose motivation then just let them go and recruit new players, who want the same as you and the rest of the members.
  • VonZant
    3843 posts Member
    Yeah we have the teams to beat it easily. Just cant get the people motivated to actually fight Nihilus.
  • DuneSeaFarmer
    3525 posts Member
    edited June 2018
    So we are halfway through phase 3 and 15 people have not scored a point. We do tier 4. What do yall do to keep people going without having to kick out half of your guild? I know Nihilus is annoying but posting a zero for that long hurts everyone. GMY should help a lot of folks that dont have JTR.

Any suggestions? Obviously we are pretty laid back but that is a but to far. 82M Guild.

Good question, no easy answer. Booting them is no longer a threat. There are so many farm guilds, they will be back in business in minutes. I'm facing this as leader of our guild. We have half of our guild joining raids, tw, tb etc.. but a portion of those NOT joining, contribute daily req'd tickets. This leaves some not able to play daily, and me not wanting to be the big bad wolf. (Be a Leader they said, it'll be fun they said... ugh).
    Post edited by DuneSeaFarmer on
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Yeah we have the teams to beat it easily. Just cant get the people motivated to actually fight Nihilus.

Ok, so we agree that the problems is not Nihilus' health pool. Great! :—)
  • Naraic
    2243 posts Member
    edited June 2018

Merge with another guild, move the slackers and the weak from both guilds into a b guild (which can still farm haat) and focus on the a guild.

Depending on the guild you merge with you may be able to think about hsr after merger.
  • VonZant
    3843 posts Member
    edited June 2018
    Waqui wrote: »

No. That is exactly the problem. His health pool is so massive and his mechanic is so annoying that spending 10-20 teams on him each person each raid just wears people out and they just dont fight him. Top 5 of us post 10-25M damage each. Most others just half-**** it or dont post at all.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member

No. That is exactly the problem. His health pool is so massive and his mechanic is so annoying that spending 10-20 teams on him each person each raid just wears people out and they just dont fight him. Top 5 of us post 10-25M damage each. Most others just half-**** it or dont post at all.

Here I thought we just agreed, that there are teams, that work well against his mehanics. I even thought you claimed that you have those teams in your guild. If that's really the case, Nihilus' health pool is not a problem.

Something is a bit off either with your claims or your conclusion.
  • Naraic
    2243 posts Member
    The problem is that people are lazy.

If a 1 million gp player can do 2% with 5 runs on tier 5 with the wrong squads no one has an excuse.

15 zeros is why the guild struggles not because the raid is tough.
  • VonZant
    3843 posts Member

Here I thought we just agreed, that there are teams, that work well against his mehanics. I even thought you claimed that you have those teams in your guild. If that's really the case, Nihilus' health pool is not a problem.

Here. There is one dollar within your reach. You can reach it easily. You just have to lean far enough forward 15 times so this needle goes under your fingernail slightly each time and you will hear a one second clip of "The hamster dance song" each time. Then you can have the dollar.

Just because you CAN do something does not mean that it is enjoyable to do so.

Its not an issue of CAN. Its not an issue of Hard. Its not an issue of Annyoning. It is not an issue of Time Consuming.

It is an issue of Hard and Annoying and Time Consuming all together so the prize does not justify the reach for many people. Yes, we could kick them all out, but that is a bad thing to encourage.
  • DarkHelmet1138
    3884 posts Member
    edited June 2018

You really have two options. Either set a min dmg req and boot those that don't follow or leave for a guild that does. Otherwise you'll be in the same boat forever. I was in a guild with your problem and tried to convince leadership to make rules and enforce them. But they didn't so I finally left and found a guild that does. I know at least one other top contributor has done the same. So either lose the dead weight at the bottom or find a new guild. My guild currently has a couple of open spots for players that actually want to work toward heroic. We do t5 in about 4 days currently and just added a min 2mil dmg req to the raid to encourage participation. The penalty is if you're below you have to sit out the next haat and hpit. We had several only posting a few hundred thousand thousand prior to that and as of now half way through p4 we only have a few that are below 2 mil and none under a mil.
  • Here is another related problem. As I understand it, if they are under the age of 13, or do not speak english, enforcing rules is almost impossible. Under 13, they do NOT see the chat. And if the do not speak english or w/e language is relevant, wht then? To bad so sad? Hardly fair.
  • Here is another related problem. As I understand it, if they are under the age of 13, or do not speak english, enforcing rules is almost impossible. Under 13, they do NOT see the chat. And if the do not speak english or w/e language is relevant, wht then? To bad so sad? Hardly fair.

You answered your own question. If they don't respond to the chat then you have little choice but to boot them. There are guilds that don't give a crap that can take them in. If you don't boot those that break the rules and don't fix themselves eventually you get in the situation the op is in where half the guild doesn't participate. Chat is a good feature to communicate expectations if a player ignores that then not much you can do but boot them. And non-english speakers can either use a translation software to stay in the know and follow rules or try and join a guild that has members that speak the same language but guild leaders can't keep people who ignore the chat just because they might not speak English.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member

Here. There is one dollar within your reach. You can reach it easily. You just have to lean far enough forward 15 times so this needle goes under your fingernail slightly each time and you will hear a one second clip of "The hamster dance song" each time. Then you can have the dollar.

Just because you CAN do something does not mean that it is enjoyable to do so.

Its not an issue of CAN. Its not an issue of Hard. Its not an issue of Annyoning. It is not an issue of Time Consuming.

It is an issue of Hard and Annoying and Time Consuming all together so the prize does not justify the reach for many people. Yes, we could kick them all out, but that is a bad thing to encourage.

You don't have to lean far forward 15 times. With the right teams, you can do it once or twice in phase 1 and once in phase 4.1. You claimed to have plenty of those teams in the guild (non—JTR teams that work well against Nihilus). If that's correct then just have your guild members play those 2—3 battles and get it over with. If the battle feels hard and annoying then use the correct team(s), learn how to play the phases with them and then it will be just as enjoyable (or unenjoyable) as the remaining phases. The problem is not 'hard and annoying' unless you refuse to use the correct teams. As you said yourself you have plenty of those teams. However, that statement doesn't quite match your conclusion.

My guess is, thst it's a classic example of an unbalanced guild. Some members push and strive to improve while others are trailing and not contributing. That's not a raid design problem.

• VonZant
    3843 posts Member
    Of couse it is an unbalanced guild. We are casual. We are not a heroic guild and dont plan on being anytime soon. The question is: Why do people choose not participate in the raid? They do TW. They do TB. They do Tank (even when we were not doing heroic). They do Rancor.

The answer is the 2 Nihilus phases are unbridled pain and not fun. I love challenging content. I like hard content. I put up my 10-20M per raid and so do others. The point is that it is difficult annoying and too protracted. They should at least fix the protracted part.

Im guessing if they showed us their secret data on all phases on all raids the participation level in P1 of sith is far worse - not by a little but by a lot - than any other raid phase. Also the amount of times the "auto" button is hit during that phase is going to be high - even for people that do participate. Again "break up your guild" solution is not just bad design, its bad for business.
  • DarkHelmet1138
    3884 posts Member
    edited June 2018
    The raid is designed to require more participation that's why the health is so high. That keeps a few players from beating it while the rest of the guild posts zeros. It's working as intended. If you don't like the two options to make the raid go faster, the the only one left is to stop whinning and get used to the fact that you'll be pulling dead weight and taking forever to complete it. And if yoy pay close attention, most of those that don't play in the raid probably sign up for tw and set enough teams on defense to get rewards but likely don't participate to the point of actually helping you win. In fact I've seen several set random teams that just make you lose because they are crap teams.
    Post edited by DarkHelmet1138 on
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member

You said it yourself. You have the teams to beat it easily. How is your problem then a design problem?
    Of couse it is an unbalanced guild. We are casual. We are not a heroic guild and dont plan on being anytime soon. The question is: Why do people choose not participate in the raid? They do TW. They do TB. They do Tank (even when we were not doing heroic). They do Rancor.

The answer is the 2 Nihilus phases are unbridled pain and not fun. I love challenging content. I like hard content. I put up my 10-20M per raid and so do others. The point is that it is difficult annoying and too protracted. They should at least fix the protracted part.

I disagree that phases 1 and 4.1 are too hard and not fun. Using the teams that actually work in those phases is just as much fun as playing the remaining phases. You have plenty of those teams. Use them. Don't drag it out.

This is not any different from AAT phase 1, which also was annoying until you had collected a team or two that worked in that phase.

If people have those teams and STILL don't play the phase, I don't believe they will begin playing it just because Nihilus' health pool is reduced. The problem here is not the design. I strongly disagree with you.
  • The difference between a casual guild and one that is not is that the ones that aren't require participation. You can't want to not have rules and then complain about people who don't want to play certain aspects of the game. Make rules for min participation and make them known if you want participation. If you don't want rules, learn to live with people posting zeros and being an anchor for your guild because that is what happens.
  • VonZant
    3843 posts Member
    Yall are both right about participation. I dont agree with you on why though. Im sure we will never see numbers but Im certain Im right on the participation in the Nihilus phases across non-heroic guilds. Its a slog and causes non-participation at greater levels. Yes there are people that would not participate anyway. But the phase massive HP pool does not help. Oh well.