R2 unlock, where to use him if you don't have resistance team?

So just got him and wondering where I can fit him in. My Guild does Tier 3 STR & tier 6 tank, I run Empire in Arena (if I could get him to 30K health/prot maybe there?). I don't have JTR, Finn, etc. I do have Leia and og Rey, but don't even run them on the same team. I do have BB8 but don't use him currently. I am no where near Zeta.

I plan to farm resistance soonish, and am thinking of a team like Finn, Poe, og Rey, BB8, R2 - Not sure if they are Raid viable like that with no Zeta?

Squads I run in raids: Empire, FO, NS, Jedi & a DPS team of Fett, Lando, Rey, 86, Daka.

TIA

Replies

• Roopehun
    344 posts Member
    You need Finns zeta if you want to run resistance.

R2 doesnt really have a necessary role in str, but if you have him, well, sure, throw it in, but dont expect much of him.
  • Roopehun wrote: »
    You need Finns zeta if you want to run resistance.

R2 doesnt really have a necessary role in str, but if you have him, well, sure, throw it in, but dont expect much of him.

Standard team to beat P1 of Sith Raid is RJT/BB-8/R2/RT/Scavenger Rey. R2 certainly has a role there, although he's also probably the most easily removed if you want to sub in someone else (Holdo, for example).

zFinn led Resistance is mostly only useful in TB and TW now, although you can do a pretty solid amount of damage in P4 of HAAT with them too (70-90% of the phase, depending on how lucky you are).

R2 fits well in any rebel team that you want to run too (Phoenix and Rogue One excepted). Can be very useful in TB/TW.
  • R2, geared and modded and hopefully Zetaed, goes well anywhere.

But especially in a Rebel squad.
  • See I don't really run a rebel squad, either, anywhere, and as mentioned don't have Finn or JTR. Really wondering where I can put him since he is not DPS just support, but support for specific teams I don't run.
  • kevsmart
    492 posts Member
    See I don't really run a rebel squad, either, anywhere, and as mentioned don't have Finn or JTR. Really wondering where I can put him since he is not DPS just support, but support for specific teams I don't run.

You will. R2 is a crucial part of a lot of LS teams, you can't play this game fully and not have teams on both sides. Not to mention you can't get CLS without him.
  • kevsmart wrote: »
    See I don't really run a rebel squad, either, anywhere, and as mentioned don't have Finn or JTR. Really wondering where I can put him since he is not DPS just support, but support for specific teams I don't run.

Not to mention you can't get CLS without him.

Oh yeah...I forgot to mention this...kind of a big deal.

• For sure guys, I know he IS needed, and I also know many use him in very high end arena, I am just trying to figure out where I can use him now. Possibly arena I guess, and possibly I can alter my Raid teams and put together a Rebel team. Maybe on Jedi team instead of healer? (They seem to need a healer, though)

I won't have Zetas for him though for a long time, KRU or Asajj will be my first and second once I finally get them. For reference, here are my current teams, most need healers except STR P2:

Arena - EP, Vader, Fett, KRU, RG
    Raids:
    Empire - Palp, Vader, Leia (she gives them 2x), GS (assist&dps), Luminara
    NS - Asajj, Talia, Acolyte, MT, Zombie
    FO - Kru, Kr, Fox, SFTP, Phasma (Foo to replace Phasma soonish)
    Jedi - QGJ, Yoda, Erza, Jedi, Initiate (she gives them 2x) (working on Ani to replace Initiate and to lead)
    DPS - Fett, Lando, Rey, 86, Daka

My Biggs & wedge stink and I don't even want to level them but will grudgingly eventually (I hate their low health pool and slow speed). My Sthan is way too squishy don't use him.

Where do you see him fitting in here?
  • I should note that I have Moff & TFP that are almost viable to add to Empire team, I have stuck them in there but my scores suffer when I do. Maybe once I get Old Ben going & FB Luke, Finn etc I might be able to shift things around better, but right now these teams are getting me good scores. FO & NS teams are locked for sure, so would have to be on one of the other 3 or arena. Even if I make a Res or Rebel team with him not sure it will outperform any of the current teams.
  • I can also note, that my shard seems pretty rough. Down at my level, 300-400 in arena, I have teams of CLS, R2, Raid Han, GK, Bariss, all G12, and all with Zetas. Another example, CLS, R2, Wiggs, Thrawn.
  • My Biggs & wedge stink and I don't even want to level them but will grudgingly eventually (I hate their low health pool and slow speed).

Eh? Wedge and Biggs are two of the most fun characters in the whole game! If they're poor work on them! Same goes for STHan.

• crzydroid
    7252 posts Moderator
    R2 is great in p3 of tank if you don't have Thrawn, or as a backup to when Fracture is off. He can stealth the whole team, making them immune to counters, and you can also be sure to select a target with a buff to take the cannon blast (it has to be another buff as it ignores foresight--this is important in Heroic).
  • Wardai
    252 posts Member
    I find a use for him in TW with the rebels used for cls, I’ll probably swap cls now for farm luke but I can normally take out a non meta team at g10 and I didn’t have them modded. Just an idea, hope it helps
  • My Biggs & wedge stink and I don't even want to level them but will grudgingly eventually (I hate their low health pool and slow speed).

Eh? Wedge and Biggs are two of the most fun characters in the whole game! If they're poor work on them! Same goes for STHan.

Not to mention Biggs is practically a required ship.
  • VonZant
    3843 posts Member
    My Biggs & wedge stink and I don't even want to level them but will grudgingly eventually (I hate their low health pool and slow speed).

Wedge's unique also gives them a massive speed boost. +40 or 45 speed I think? I forget.
  • Dok
    140 posts Member
    VonZant wrote: »
    My Biggs & wedge stink and I don't even want to level them but will grudgingly eventually (I hate their low health pool and slow speed).

Wedge's unique also gives them a massive speed boost. +40 or 45 speed I think? I forget.

+9 speed for each ally with full health, +15 for each ally below 100% health. So +45 at the beginning of a battle.
  • To be honest, r2 isn't really arena viable in high end outside a cls or jtr team. If you're running empire, he has no synergy with them and won't help you. He's good for ls tb and in a rebel tw team. For raids he works to stealth all but your strongest toon keeping your survivability up. I use a wedge lead, biggs, cls, r2, rhan in sith raid sometimes and can get decent dmg. R2 can stealth everyone but cls to protect the more squishy characters. Eventually, when the meta shifts back to ls, he may be part of that again. Who knows. He has a good kit though.
  • jayjonbeach
    697 posts Member
    edited June 2018
    crzydroid wrote: »
    R2 is great in p3 of tank if you don't have Thrawn, or as a backup to when Fracture is off. He can stealth the whole team, making them immune to counters, and you can also be sure to select a target with a buff to take the cannon blast (it has to be another buff as it ignores foresight--this is important in Heroic).

Thanks this seems like the most viable way I can use him in the near future until I get some more res toons going, Raid Han, CLS, etc.

• R2 makes any Light Side team better. He's super versatile and has a terrific kit, with a Stun on his basic, and the soft taunt of a smokescreen. He might not do anything for your Arena team, but he's useful in Raids, Territory Wars, and LS Territory Battles.
  • You really won't have any use in Arena.

You can have several uses on TB and TW, but you will get it best when zetaed.
    The number chunch zeta will help in your complaint about HP from Wedge and Biggs (and Raid Han also) and the Combat Analysis will cleanse your team.

Considering your list of teams, I would place him on your Jedi Team. Take out NS Initiate and put him.
    With Yoda rework the team has high dps but can be squishy.... smokescreen him, use it as a soft taunt (sometimes better than a taunt because can be prevented).

you also can place him into your dps team, moving Leia to the team.
    2x from Leia will help Lando and its good considering Boba leadership. R2 can be faster than Leia, so you can start with smokescreen so Leia can already get offense Up in her first turn.

• stormhold wrote: »
    You really won't have any use in Arena.

The number chunch zeta will help in your complaint about HP from Wedge and Biggs (and Raid Han also) and the Combat Analysis will cleanse your team.

Considering your list of teams, I would place him on your Jedi Team. Take out NS Initiate and put him.
    With Yoda rework the team has high dps but can be squishy.... smokescreen him, use it as a soft taunt (sometimes better than a taunt because can be prevented).

2x from Leia will help Lando and its good considering Boba leadership. R2 can be faster than Leia, so you can start with smokescreen so Leia can already get offense Up in her first turn.

Thanks I was thinking about the Jedi team, I will miss the 2x though. In STR P2 I might be able to get away with no healer and R2 there. So R2 can pick himself to be the one who is not smoked? He looks to have a good health pool so that could be useful for sure (won't help against the annoyance that is DN....)

I do want to pair him with Leia eventually, my next unlock will be Thrawn, not sure yet where he will fit many possibilities, though I guess the Empire team might be best fit.

Thanks I was thinking about the Jedi team, I will miss the 2x though. In STR P2 I might be able to get away with no healer and R2 there. So R2 can pick himself to be the one who is not smoked? He looks to have a good health pool so that could be useful for sure (won't help against the annoyance that is DN....)

I do want to pair him with Leia eventually, my next unlock will be Thrawn, not sure yet where he will fit many possibilities, though I guess the Empire team might be best fit.

Thrawn is a must in an empire/sith arena team.
  • Thrawn is a plug and play character that goes well in every team. I use him on my hPit team, my HAAT team, my Arena team (under JTR), and I use his capital ship for my Fleet Arena team. I use him as a starter in every game mode, with the sole exception of Light Side Territory Battles, for obvious reasons.

GTA can really fit anywhere, but our Empire Arena Team seems the logical choice.
    why don't you use Tarkin on your Empire team? He can have great synergy if/when your EP is zetaed.
    (and he is an easy farm and has a good capital ship)
    stormhold wrote: »

GTA can really fit anywhere, but our Empire Arena Team seems the logical choice.
    why don't you use Tarkin on your Empire team? He can have great synergy if/when your EP is zetaed.
    (and he is an easy farm and has a good capital ship)

Thanks yeah I have seen he is very plug and play, I plan on having Thrawn in arena ASAP for sure, and very likely Moff too for his offense down, etc and TM removal. I have him G8, still too weak for arena, he needs about 10k more health & prot and I already have mods on him. Same with TFP.