Crystal use for shards

While the hard nodes were 8 attempts, it was more lucrative mathematically to refresh the mode for 50 crystals rather than buy premium characters (like Visas, for example) in the shipments.

Since the hard nodes have been dropped back to 5 attempts again, is it still better to refresh the node or to buy the shards in the crystal shipments? Thoughts?

Replies

• 1 refresh is worth it. Beyond that you're rolling the dice.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    its really dealers choice. buying shards for crystals is pricey, but its guaranteed. refresh on a HN could yield 0. over the whole time of harvest the average will work out ok, but i'm still not sold on refreshing HNs.
  • TVF
    36518 posts Member
    Premium characters cost 320 crystals for 4 shards. For 100 crystals (50 for energy refresh and 50 for node refresh) you get 10 rolls. For 300 crystals you get 30 rolls. You have to have really bad RNG to constantly get 4 or less shards on 30 rolls. Plus you can get some gear (getting stun guns from Holdo's node is fantastic).

One refresh is worth more than buying from shipments.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • I'd go for the refresh myself at least on the hard nodes with nuisance gear parts on them. Like the mentioned Holdo node, I'm not interested in Holdo myself so I won't be farming her but if I were and I ended up just getting stun guns instead I'd be a happy man.
    Hey, it's still better than MSF
  • TVF
    36518 posts Member
    I'm farming Holdo and getting stun guns at the same time is fantastic, especially because she needs so many.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Refreshing a node costs 50 crystals with an expected payout of 1.66 shards, that's 30 crystals per shard (60 if you include the cost of the energy refresh). Buying from the shop costs 80 per shard. Over a full 330 shard grind, you would spend 6,600 more crystals to buy from the store than to farm. The farm will also include gear, but the store will be faster.