Stacking Protection Up??

Anyone who plays Geonosians in ship arena like I do knows that protection up doesn’t stack. But I noticed today that protection up CAN stack, but only if it comes from a different source. I used Reaper and gave Sun Fac Protection up, and then next turn he was called to assist and gained a “2” icon next to his protection up as he gained it again from Home One.

I’ve never seen a buff/debuff in this game that is stackable only when applied from different sources. Offense up doesn’t appear twice if you get it from different places. DoTs still stack even if applied from the same source.

So basically my point here is to see if this is intended or is it a bug? I’m assuming the difference is that protection up can be applied in varying amounts, so how does it actually function. If I get two 30% protection up buffs do I have 60%? Does it simply take the higher number? I’m confused here.

Replies

• Sigh...and this got moved to arena and character strategy where it will probably die even though it’s a gameplay question that impacts every part of the game. Character arena wasn’t even mentioned in my post, which actually used ships as the example. This is a reason why so many of us use Reddit instead.
  • BrakirKY
    145 posts Member
    The only time I've seen protection up stack is when the individual buffs are different % amounts, e.g. a 20% and 30% will both apply, but not two 30%. I don't think it's actually the source of the buff itself.
  • BrakirKY wrote: »
    The only time I've seen protection up stack is when the individual buffs are different % amounts, e.g. a 20% and 30% will both apply, but not two 30%. I don't think it's actually the source of the buff itself.

This may be the case. When I saw it stack it was a 25% prot up and a 30% prot up. But that brings me back to the question of is it actually stacking? Or is it just appearing to. If 25 + 30 stacks to 55 but 30 and 30 don’t stack and stay at 30, then I need to make sure I don’t upgrade my Reaper ability to go to 30% Protection Up. Which can’t be WAI.
  • BrakirKY
    145 posts Member
    TBH I'm not sure if it's actually stacking, since it's hard to tell on ships with the prot pool as low as it is on them. I would like to know myself, since protection up buffs are a lot more common after the reworks.
  • BrakirKY wrote: »
    TBH I'm not sure if it's actually stacking, since it's hard to tell on ships with the prot pool as low as it is on them. I would like to know myself, since protection up buffs are a lot more common after the reworks.

ev3di06p6tft.png

This is what it looks like when it stacks.
  • Also, I’ve discovered since that the protection up from Home 1 lead only last 1 turn, not 2.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    BrakirKY wrote: »

This is my understanding too. The only buffs/debuffs that stack (unless stated in the skill) besides expose, DOT, HOT are those from multiple sources. If it's from the same source it doesnt stack.
  • Kyno wrote: »
    BrakirKY wrote: »

This is my understanding too. The only buffs/debuffs that stack (unless stated in the skill) besides expose, DOT, HOT are those from multiple sources. If it's from the same source it doesnt stack.

Can you give another example? What other buff doesn’t stack from the same source but does from multiple sources? And if it requires a same percentage, does that mean we get penalized for fully upgrading skills? should I not max my reaper so it doesn’t match Home 1? That doesn’t seam like good game development to encourage that.
  • Also, it’s extremely annoying that whatever that place is called that we submit bugs to is in itself bugged. I tried for 20 minutes to submit the bug earlier (the duration is definitely a bug, even if the stacking isn’t) and just get blank screens.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Protection up seems to stack, but I have not seen it stacking on Phoenix who also have that buff.

No the % doesnt matter.
  • Kyno wrote: »
    Protection up seems to stack, but I have not seen it stacking on Phoenix who also have that buff.

No the % doesnt matter.

The way you worded it made it sound like there are other buffs/debuffs that follow this same logic. I always operated under the idea that protection up does not stack. Then I saw it stack. Does it not seem odd to you that protection up stacks only if it’s from a different source? Offense up, speed, defense, etc don’t stack if it comes from somewhere else. IMO either it should always stack or never stack, so it seems like a bug somewhere.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    This is why we usually push these conversations to be reported rather than discussed.

It really doesn't matter, either they think its WAI or its not.

Please report all bugs and issues to Answers HQ
    Your topic has been moved to the Bugs and Issues Archive. For better assistance and functionality, please report your bug over at Answers HQ.

You’ll be able to find direct links to all the existing SWGOH forum boards on Answers HQ so you can easily navigate between both forums.

Please visit the Answers HQ forums by clicking the link below!
    <<Answers HQ>>