Best Dark Side Team For Beginners?

Hey guys, I'm level 71 but I've just sort of been cruising through at the moment but now im starting to build some teams properly rather than just heroes I like etc. Im working on Phoenix squad for my light side/GW etc but not sure what the best dark side team to build is? Im thinking Empire because it would help me with R2 etc when my team is good enough. Is this a good idea or is there a better team I should be building? I have a few fairly high dark side heroes already (Boba/DS/Vader)

This is what I have at the moment to see who I have and what level etc

https://swgoh.gg/u/johnlove/collection/

Thanks in advance for any comments!

Replies

• Naraic
    2243 posts Member
    Options
    Empire is the dark side squad but your focus for the moment has to palpatine and thrawn whose events are happening this month. Your goal is to unlock both at 5 star. For this you need a 5 star pjoenix squad. If you can get them to 6 or 7 star to pick up these characters it would be considered a win. After you have palpatine and thrawn you can run palpatien thrawn and vader as the core of an empire team.
  • Rahul
    7 posts Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Empire im in the same position and im hoping to pick up thrawn so i can make
    Thrawn
    Palpitine (L)
    Vader
    Tie Pilot/Magmatrooper
    Royal Guard
    It seems consistant and kinda easy to start farming
    Post edited by Rahul on
  • Options
    Get Palp.

And then run Palp (lead), Vader, RG, TFP and Snowtrooper.
  • thedrjojo
    953 posts Member
    Options
    Get Palp.

With the toons he has, he might get 5* palp and thrawn. You should do everything in your power to get 5 Phoenix characters to 5* by June 18th (last day of the Palpatine event). Palpatine is one of the top 5 characters in the entire game. Thrawn is one of the top 10 characters in the game so doing that will get you both of them.

With your toons, once you get them, palp, thrawn, Vader, ds (since op has him at 6*) and enfys nest (whom they have at 4* if you are using the team in arena) OR Boba Fett (whom they have at 6*) until you get someone like tarkin or tfp powerful enough for synergy. Or you could build your dooku up from 3 star. But neither dooku or sideous are top flight characters, however they get synergy from Palpatine lead so work on that team.

What is your goal of this Darkside squad? Arena? Dark side battles? Something to run on ds tb? All of the above?
  • thedrjojo
    953 posts Member
    Options
    Get Palp.

And I think royal guard would be a waste to farm as well. He isn't that great of a toon long term. Tfp is a good investment and Snowtrooper for an eventual Trooper team
  • thedrjojo
    953 posts Member
    Options
    thedrjojo wrote: »
    Get Palp.

With the toons he has, he might get 5* palp and thrawn. You should do everything in your power to get 5 Phoenix characters to 5* by June 18th (last day of the Palpatine event). Palpatine is one of the top 5 characters in the entire game. Thrawn is one of the top 10 characters in the game so doing that will get you both of them.

With your toons, once you get them, palp, thrawn, Vader, ds (since op has him at 6*) and enfys nest (whom they have at 4* if you are using the team in arena) OR Boba Fett (whom they have at 6*) until you get someone like tarkin or tfp powerful enough for synergy. Or you could build your dooku up from 3 star. But neither dooku or sideous are top flight characters, however they get synergy from Palpatine lead so work on that team.

What is your goal of this Darkside squad? Arena? Dark side battles? Something to run on ds tb? All of the above?

If we trust the gamechangers /CubsFanhan, thrawn is #1 and Palpatine is #9 for best characters in the game. So I stand corrected (maybe)...
  • Options
    Like the others already mentioned, max Out your Phoenix Team Asap - from my point of view - skip DS ...hes not really good atm ..especially in Arena...hes only valuable in Zvader team for Hpit. A really good Empire team looks like this:

EP (Lead)
    Vader
    Thrawn

Tarkin

5th spot got some choices:

TFP (good chocie especially because hes a pilot aswell - so u need to push him anyways)
    Royal Guard (Tank)
    Darth Sion/Shoretrooper (both really hard to get)
    and of course Darth Nihilus.

But these guys take some time to get - so you should probably focus on the TFP.
  • Options
    And I think royal guard would be a waste to farm as well.

"Beginner" is the keyword in the thread title.

Agreed - Royal Guard is next to useless long term. But he is a reilable and dependable tank for most beginner Empire Squads.

• thedrjojo
    953 posts Member
    Options
    And I think royal guard would be a waste to farm as well.

"Beginner" is the keyword in the thread title.

Agreed - Royal Guard is next to useless long term. But he is a reilable and dependable tank for most beginner Empire Squads.

Op is level 71. Royal guard is useless for level 71 player. Level 20 player, sure, use royal guard, but farm better toons.
  • DarthBugdrops
    133 posts Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    palp is horrible on his own because, u can 1-2 hit him. its about team synergy. problem is when u add sion and nihilus for example, because there are too many heroes to control for alot of teams, and that is there where he would shine. maybe for older shards, specifically. but fresh shards FO can hit top ranks. i hit 10 daily with FO, without panda. against ppl with alot better teams, i try to avoid some of them but. esp sion nihilus teams.
  • Options
    Curious no one has recommended Moff. I use Palp lead, Vader, Thrawn, Moff and Storm Trooper (waiting to bulk my TFP up)
  • Options
    Op is level 71.

Yes, a beginner.

• uhdea
    49 posts Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    As others have stated- thrawn, palp, and vader are the core of your empire team. The other two toons you choose have different pluses and minuses. IMO tarkin and TFP are the best until end game (long farms after level 85) due to their impacts on turn meter-
    tarkin can remove enemy TM and can debuff, which grants your team TM under palp lead. TFP does additional damage to debuffed enemies, debuffs on crit, and debuffs on his special. The effects of this TM cannot be over stated- when going against another empire team of the same characters, if I have more speed on vader than the enemy team has, then I am getting in multiple attacks and taking out 2-3 of their characters before they can even get a single attack in. Normally it flows something like this-
    Vader AOE
    automatic 100% TM refresh on vader
    Vader culling blade
    everyone but tarkin has 100% TM
    thrawn grants TM to tarkin
    tarkin debuff
    automatic 100% TM refresh on tarkin
    tarkin aoe (removes enemy TM)
    palp aoe stun
    TFP aoe
    automatic 100% TM refresh on TFP
    TFP normal attack
    thrawn stun locks whoever
    vader normal attack
    palp normal attack
    TFP normal attack
    tarkin normal attack
    enemy attacks
    its savage to watch, and even more savage when i forget to check enemy speed before attacking and they end up having more- I don't get a turn until I'm down to 2 characters normally
  • Options
    Personally I believe that first order is the best dark side team for a new player. The 3 core empire characters can be farmed through Phoenix and regular play. Plus tarkin is solid early on and an easy farm.
  • Options
    Curious no one has recommended Moff. I use Palp lead, Vader, Thrawn, Moff and Storm Trooper (waiting to bulk my TFP up)

Tarkin is moff. I mentioned him as did a few others
  • Options
    Op is level 71.

Yes, a beginner.

Doesn't change my comment that RG is not useful at lvl 71 for his farm
  • Options
    2 ways you can do this:

First order team which is easy to get with FTP
    Kylo Unmasked, Kylo ren, FOExecutioner, FOOfficer, and FOTie Pilot (or phasma)

Empire:
    veers, range trooper, storm trooper, snow trooper, and magma trooper
    Vader, tarkin, storm trooper, palpatine (lead), and tie pilot
  • Options
    Wrotton wrote: »

Empire:
    veers, range trooper, storm trooper, snow trooper, and magma trooper

Interesting that you didn't include Colonel Starck--do you think he would be any good for an imperial trooper team?

• Wonderman
    7 posts Member
    edited July 2018
    Options

Is storm trooper still better than range trooper?
  • BubbaFett
    3311 posts Member
    Options
    Wonderman wrote: »

Is storm trooper still better than range trooper?

They do different roles..... On that team storm is better.... Besides, you would have to pay to get range to a decent level right now....
  • winky
    24 posts Member
    Options
    The massive headstart you get in fleets if you've farmed the Emo Kylo plus ship node are the tie-breaker for me in favor of First Order as the best dark side squad early game.

Since FO Executioner and Emo Kylo are both in Cantina I'd recommend ignoring the executioner until later (even though I hear he's the best part of FO once you've maxed your team). My squad is Kylo x2, Phasma, FOO, and the SF Tie Pilot at level 69.

If you put everything you've got into Emo Kylo he can even hold off weaker teams in Arena single-handedly, negating the big drawback of FO being weak on defense. Same in fleet arena - his ship is a nice one to max first, especially if you pair him with a couple ships that can call him in to assist. Running him, SF Tie fighter, and Jedi Consular lets you stun all 3 ships right away!

• Options
    @winky When did you start farming FO? Also, did you do this after phoenix or some other team? Thanks!!
  • winky
    24 posts Member
    Options
    I skipped Phoenix. I waffled for a while before deciding to go FO but they were my first synergy squad. Before that I was just running a squad specifically built to wreck Phoenix so climbing arena was easy since that’s all anyone does early game. I’d recommend farming them as soon as you unlock Emo Kylo’s cantina node. Wish I had!
  • dasbobbybob
    52 posts Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    @winky

What's your average ranking in-game for arena and ships arena?

I've recently created a new acc and currently doing the basic cliche Phoenix farm.

Recently reached lvl 42 and whilst I'm enjoying the fresh start, I somehow want to give a new faction a try. Would it be wise to then invest in FO from this point on? My plan if I do is to push my phoenix alongside farming KRU and the others then somehow put them in about lvl 50 or so as my main.
    (Considered this too to sway away from the empire teams and push through with FO then BB8 and so on)

Thoughts, Sir?