Ignoring Mods for a new Player a good idea?

I play enough to climb fast (at least three times a day 50 shards refresh and take each energy refresh a day, sometimes one cantina refresh) - so I´m now at Level 66. And I climb about one level each second day now.

I have about 5 Mill. Credits at the moment. And as this game limits the available resources in a strict way I´m forced to decide how I use my resources.

As ONE full upgraded Mod will cost 30k Credits, so 6 of them for one char will cost 1,8 Mill. I decided to complete ignore the Mods for now.

Now my question: Is this correct or should I invest in some mods and upgrade them to level 8-12?

I have at the moment only access to health mods.

Replies

• Hellsteeth30
    832 posts Member
    edited July 2018
    Not a good idea to ignore mods at all sadly. I'd love an absence of mods in this game.

If health is all you can get, use those. You'll struggle to get anywhere with no mods at all. Ideally ones with speed secondaries and a speed primary arrow.

In fact make a day or two of your week, mod farming day until you have a decent set.

Oh and if you aren't in an active and/or populated guild, consider moving as raids make up a large portion of my income. Income does improve in GW once you get to where I am (77/78) and you definitely will start needing mods for that.

Hey, it's still better than MSF
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    30k for a full upgrade? It seems like you really need to do mod challenges ASAP to receive some of the higher dot mods with far better stats. Furthermore, completing all health and defense mod challenges influences the quality of the mods that appear in mod shipments.
  • BubbaFett
    3311 posts Member
    Yes, you need to unlock top tier of health mod challenges, farm five dot mods and keep only speed primary arrows and other mods that have speed secondaries.... A full upgrade on a mod will cost you 446k.....

The game limits resources for a reason, at your stage, younshouod always be hurting for credits, not stockpiling them......
  • BubbaFett wrote: »
    Yes, you need to unlock top tier of health mod challenges, farm five dot mods and keep only speed primary arrows and other mods that have speed secondaries.... A full upgrade on a mod will cost you 446k.....

The game limits resources for a reason, at your stage, younshouod always be hurting for credits, not stockpiling them......

Best answer right there.

At your stage of the game you're going to be burning totally through your resources often...it's how it works.

Listen to Bubba.
  • Farm mods is a pain, so it's better to start early.
    that's what will count when you get in-game.

Start farming health, if you have the opportunity to unlock the other sets, focus on crit dmg, crit chance and speed.

The other 3 (Tenacity, offense, Defense are not essential - don't change your path to unlock them)

Mod sets are important, but primary and secondary stats are more - SPEED is the key.

You need arrows with speed primary (just save some with protection primary for your tanks).
    Your mod is as good as your speed secondary.

No speed secondary - no use
    1-4 - low use
    5-6 - OK
    7-10 - Good
    11-14 - Excelent
    15+ - thank gods for them!

You will only get 11+ speed mods If they area blue, purple or gold and already have speed at level 1.
    White and Green mods won't get to 11 speed (except arrows, of course)

So, for start you will keep any mod with 7+ speed.

Don't take them all to lv15, will really drain your credits - rule of thumb is:
    - focus on blue, purple and gold mods with starting speed on them.
    - Blue, goes to Lv6
    - Purple to Lv9
    - Gold to Lv12

At those level you alrealdy know the max speed of your mod. If it is useful, them take it all the way to lv15.

It is important to choose the right primary for each toon. There are several tools that can help you (crounching rancor, gamingfans, swgohlife, etc).

Hope it helps,
    pv me if you need anything else.

• Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    There is a lot of good advice here, so I will just add this:

In this game ignoring anything as ubiquitous as mods is a bad idea. Similarly bad to people who choose to ignore whole factions.

Find a balance, make a plan and execute. Sometimes things need to go on hold, but mods should almost never get turned off completely, they will carry you through the game and can even help you fight off a meta shift while farming toons.
  • Great post @stormhold , thank you for it.
  • stormhold wrote: »
    Farm mods is a pain, so it's better to start early.
    that's what will count when you get in-game.

Start farming health, if you have the opportunity to unlock the other sets, focus on crit dmg, crit chance and speed.

The other 3 (Tenacity, offense, Defense are not essential - don't change your path to unlock them)

Mod sets are important, but primary and secondary stats are more - SPEED is the key.

You need arrows with speed primary (just save some with protection primary for your tanks).
    Your mod is as good as your speed secondary.

No speed secondary - no use
    1-4 - low use
    5-6 - OK
    7-10 - Good
    11-14 - Excelent
    15+ - thank gods for them!

You will only get 11+ speed mods If they area blue, purple or gold and already have speed at level 1.

So, for start you will keep any mod with 7+ speed.

Don't take them all to lv15, will really drain your credits - rule of thumb is:
    - focus on blue, purple and gold mods with starting speed on them.
    - Blue, goes to Lv6
    - Purple to Lv9
    - Gold to Lv12

At those level you alrealdy know the max speed of your mod. If it is useful, them take it all the way to lv15.

It is important to choose the right primary for each toon. There are several tools that can help you (crounching rancor, gamingfans, swgohlife, etc).

Hope it helps,
    pv me if you need anything else.
    This is not true. There are multiple characters that do not need speed to succeed; resistance trooper, FO executioner, even Kylo masked... to name a few.

• Save your credits (and ship building supplies) like Scrooge McDuck! Spend them like a mizer! Build a few characters/ships at a time . . . do not spread out. You want few high level characters/ships . . . not more medium level characters/ships!
  • I'd put the order in gear, mods, abilities, stars, level.

Maybe swap abilities with mods in fact. We had one guy in our guild not able to do CLS as his abilities on Leia were level 3 only.

Mods are a garbage mechanic of the game and I hate them but they are totally necessary.

Once you get above 80 I guess you'll have more income, not sure myself. Then of course you'll have more omegas and zetas to worry about which is even more expense.

• Don't ignore mods, but don't go crazy trying to mod all your toons. Focus on arena(s). Get your squad arena team outfitted with the best mods (i.e., high speed secondaries) and once you unlock ships, get 5 dot mods (doesn't matter if they have speed secondaries) on your arena pilots. Don't worry about trying to mod out your other toons and use the credit savings to continue leveling and starring up raid specific characters. (or if you don't have 3 star credit heist opened, scoundrels) Once you start regularly completing Mythic events and farming mods because you're not so character focused, your roster will start to naturally absorb the "lower quality" mods you've accumulated.

Glad to hear you're saving credits! Don't try to level too many toons at once. Focus on 3 - 5(max) that is part of a long term plan.
  • Darkrose_One
    51 posts Member
    edited July 2018
    Stars seem to add a lot of power early on. I am level 76, and notice a huge bump in power when I bring a 6* to a 7* . . . but my characters are G7 or G8. It could be that this is not the case past G7 or G8.
  • As I read one wise poster write - characters are not the meta, mods are.

They are very important if you want to succeed.
  • Range1974
    897 posts Member
    I recently brought back to life an account that was pre-mods and pre-ships. Knowing what I know now, I am not upgrading any mod that will not be used long term. I immediately sell the lower dot mods until I can unlock the higher levels.
  • Range1974 wrote: »
    I recently brought back to life an account that was pre-mods and pre-ships. Knowing what I know now, I am not upgrading any mod that will not be used long term. I immediately sell the lower dot mods until I can unlock the higher levels.

That's an excellent long-term strategy, but doesn't change that you MUST have mods on your arena team. Get the best mods you have on them now and then as you're farming start replacing them with the fastest mods you get. I did the math and colored mods with visible speed secondaries drop at about 3 - 4%, so searching for those high-powered speed secondary mods are a long-term farm investment.

That said, if you have the extra credits, buy them in the mod store (but only the ones with speed visible). I don't recommend this for early stage players because there are a lot of toons and leveling needed.
  • Stars seem to add a lot of power early on. I am level 76, and notice a huge bump in power when I bring a 6* to a 7* . . . but my characters are G7 or G8. It could be that this is not the case past G7 or G8.

I've still no real idea how starring adds as much power as it does. All I do know is that the effect is doubled if they're a pilot and have a ship.

Looks like there's mod management of some description coming soon. So that may or may not make some difference. Personally I'd just love a quick swap of mods between toons, that would make me a happy chappy.
  • Darkrose_One
    51 posts Member
    edited July 2018
    I know that if the ship challenge says level 68 ** that it really means ***. Starring my ships from ** to *** to **** help me beat those things.

There was like a 2,000 to 3,000 power-point jump (mostly 2,000) between 6*'s and 7's for me at level 75. When your team is ~45,000-50,000 points . . . that is a lot.
  • Certainly don't buy mods from the mod store at this point since you will be crunched on credits forever, but you can still get a pretty noticeable boost from 3 and 4 dot mods leveled up to 9 or 12 which won't break the bank credit-wise. Particularly prioritize any arrow with a speed primary.
  • BubbaFett
    3311 posts Member
    Cuddlebear wrote: »
    Certainly don't buy mods from the mod store at this point since you will be crunched on credits forever, but you can still get a pretty noticeable boost from 3 and 4 dot mods leveled up to 9 or 12 which won't break the bank credit-wise. Particularly prioritize any arrow with a speed primary.

I disagree.... Buy once, cry once..... You will lose a fortune when you decide to replace them with good ones.... Especially now that mod slicing is coming (which can only be done on 5 dot)
  • Thanks for all the good advices.

But all the advices doesn´t help how I can update the Mods with the current heavy limit of credits on my level.
    Yes I can collect some Mods and on the other side unfortunately reduce the development of Ezra.
    But how shall this help? I could probably upgrade the mods to level 5-6. If I go higher my credits shrink faster than I can earn them.

A really big riddle to me is that on my level (68-70) - wherever I check (galactic war, both pvp areas) - the most players have almost all chars equipped with full level 15 mods??? Yes I level fast, but how do they did it?
    I can´t imagine that they all buy credits for real money.

There must be any secret way I don´t discovered yet.
  • Woodroward
    3749 posts Member
    edited July 2018
    stormhold wrote: »

Actually this isn't true. Green mods can get up to exactly 11 but no higher. Mods can have up to a 5 speed to start and gain up to 6 speed at the breakpoints making the highest speed by quality:
    E=5
    D=11
    C=17
    B=23
    A=29
  • BubbaFett
    3311 posts Member
    Wonderman wrote: »
    Thanks for all the good advices.

But all the advices doesn´t help how I can update the Mods with the current heavy limit of credits on my level.
    Yes I can collect some Mods and on the other side unfortunately reduce the development of Ezra.
    But how shall this help? I could probably upgrade the mods to level 5-6. If I go higher my credits shrink faster than I can earn them.

A really big riddle to me is that on my level (68-70) - wherever I check (galactic war, both pvp areas) - the most players have almost all chars equipped with full level 15 mods??? Yes I level fast, but how do they did it?

Again...... You arena newer player, younare not supposed to have a bunch of credits, you should be spending them as fast as you get them to make your squad better..... They aren't good for anything else.....
  • crzydroid
    7254 posts Moderator
    edited July 2018
    Wonderman wrote: »
    Thanks for all the good advices.

They may be spending real money, getting more resources from arena, or are just better at resource management in general. How are your scoundrels? You should always be doing the highest tier credit heist available to you.

The other possibility is they are in a better guild than you that is doing more and higher tier raids--those are a good source of credits. Is your guild getting 30,000 tickets a day? What tier raids are you doing?
  • BubbaFett
    3311 posts Member
    I'm assuming you meant 30k tickets a day..... Lol
  • crzydroid
    7254 posts Moderator
    BubbaFett wrote: »
    I'm assuming you meant 30k tickets a day..... Lol

Yes, a day, fixed it. If they were getting 30,000 a week, I guess that would explain a lack of credits.
  • Woodroward wrote: »
    stormhold wrote: »

Actually this isn't true. Green mods can get up to exactly 11 but no higher. Mods can have up to a 5 speed to start and gain up to 6 speed at the breakpoints making the highest speed by quality:
    E=5
    D=11
    C=17
    B=23
    A=29

Yeah, that's the theory, but in real life the chance of getting to these stats are soooo low.

I may agree you can gamble on a Green Mod with 5 speed at level 1 (specially now with slicing coming).
  • Ok my guild is not bad but obviously not the best option for me.
    We have some open spots and a group of not so active players (~200 Tickets a day).
    I don´t know exactly how much raid tickets we get a day but for sure not 30k, probably about 20k max a day.
    But we rarely loose a TW which is quite nice. I guess this is due to our gm which is not so huge.
    Rancor raids at max, tank at normal, Sith raid at 4 stars (for our low level members)
    Yes credit heist is not a prob because my main arena team is scoundrels at the moment.
    I´m building the phoenix chars next. Stars are almost already done but gear is still in work.