Unconventional yet viable?

My son is about to start (he’s been watching me!),
He’s 11 but pretty solid at games that require planning e.g. he has non-rushed Max TH9 in Clash of Clans with regular 6* war performances - so I think he will cope with this game.
However, he hates the Phoenix team and thinks my Palp/Vader Arena Team is boring (because everyone has the same team):

He likes Bounty Hunters, Imperial Troopers, and Jedi....

Is there an obvious farming pathway that bypasses Phoenix and standard Empire - yet still gives him an Arena & Fleet viable team that can mix it with the meta? He will still need Scoundrels too...and he likes Yoda and CLS!

I need a bit of help planning a sensible pathway for him!

Replies

• BubbaFett
    3311 posts Member
    He could start with empire and BH farm..... BH will get you credits from the heist, and he can run empire in arena..,. Then he can use them to get r2 while farming the rebels needed for CLS.....
  • swgohfan29
    1147 posts Member
    Boba Fett and Slave 1 is a good start. Greedo and STHan is in arena store. You could do maybe KRU and Tie Silencer as the best catina node? Lando is also in catina farms. GW best would be.....i m not sure. It might be possible, but it will be seriously difficult.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Yes it's possible, you can play this game however you want.

Will he end up being a top player in arena without following the meta or anti meta, probably not, but he can still have fun and play the game.

If he is just starting, then he will not have to worry about the palp meta for a while (if at all).

Phoenix are a good starting point for many reasons, but not a necessity if he has no interest in thrawn.

Many of the meta toons have a higher than average usefulness, but other than thrawn it is possible to get all the other toons with alternative toons, it just may be more difficult and less people will be able to help.
  • I think he would probably focus on offensive teams rather, even if they eventually lose on def).

Imperial Troopers (using Range Trooper and Krennic) can win on offense (and are very fun play).
    By farming them he will get the ship (not meta anymore, but ok).

Farm Boba and get his ship also.

With GMY rework, Jedis are viable in arena (in offense for sure) - with Ezra, Bariss, Ahsoka, JKA
    (not necessarily this is the best comp, but it will give you Ahsoka's ship - and maybe he will like to have JKA + Ahsoka - if he watched Clone Wars series).
  • Shadowscream
    968 posts Member
    edited July 2018

stormhold wrote: »
    I think he would probably focus on offensive teams rather, even if they eventually lose on def).

Imperial Troopers (using Range Trooper and Krennic) can win on offense (and are very fun play).

With GMY rework, Jedis are viable in arena (in offense for sure) - with Ezra, Bariss, Ahsoka, JKA
    (not necessarily this is the best comp, but it will give you Ahsoka's ship - and maybe he will like to have JKA + Ahsoka - if he watched Clone Wars series).

Yea, he likes JKA and Ahsoka. I kind of wondered about something similar to this - Jedi team with those 2 and 3 others (e.g. QGJ, Luminara (easy to get), Old Ben (CLS req)) Then switch out 2 for GMY and Barris.
    Then as you say Imperial Troopers as his main team. Scoundrels - BHs and STH (CLS req)
    Fleet I guess — Tarkin (Zetas eventually), maybe the 3 Geos as they become available? And Slave 1.

Sound plausible?
  • stormhold wrote: »
    I think he would probably focus on offensive teams rather, even if they eventually lose on def).

Yea, he likes JKA and Ahsoka. I kind of wondered about something similar to this - Jedi team with those 2 and 3 others (e.g. QGJ, Luminara (easy to get), Old Ben (CLS req)) Then switch out 2 for GMY and Barris.
    Then as you say Imperial Troopers as his main team. Scoundrels - BHs and STH (CLS req)
    Fleet I guess — Tarkin (Zetas eventually), maybe the 3 Geos as they become available? And Slave 1.

Sound plausible?

All seems ok.
    The 3 Geos are great in fleets but low use in any other area - if he is ok with that...
    My suggestion would be going for the basic: Vader (when he unlocks), Biggs, KRU, +Boba, Ahsoka, Maul
    Capital can be Tarkin or Ackbar, both are good.
    All fan favorites characters, good use in both areas.
    (I am suggesting for fun, not exactly meta team)
  • ManuG
    131 posts Member
    edited July 2018
    A Rex squad seems to be the most viable option for him in arena if he doesn't want to follow the meta.

P.S: He could start with the classic rebels path (SThan, Leia, Ben, Wiggs, etc) so he will eventually unlock Palpatine, R2 and CLS.
  • Yes, it is possible. I did avoid Pheonix for quite some time and used a mixed faction arena squad during those months with 90% Phoenix around me. I sometimes finished top 100 and never dropped out of top 200 during that period, which was not too bad. My arena squad was Boba (lead), TFP, Tarkin, GeoSoldier, KRU. All of them are pilots and among the better ones in the game. The DMG from Boba, TFP and GeoSoldier cuts through Pheonix quite easily at least up to G9-10. Tarkin may not have been the best option for defense as his debuffs heal Phoenix teams but it worked well on offense. Add Biggs and you already have a good arena fleet.
    After the rework of Bounty Hunters, it might also be an option to use them in arena (e.g. Boba, IG88, Greedo) with maybe one or two toons from different factions such as KRU (Bossk will most likely not be easy to farm once he goes F2P) and eventually TFP (very fast, ability block, buff immunity, high dmg).
  • I went the scoundrels/classic Rebels route and have zero regrets. Lando, STHan, Boba, Biggs, JC to start. Dropped JC for Wedge. Dropped Boba for Leia. Dropped STHan for Old Ben. Also worked on my DS Pilots and take 1st in Fleet every day. Finished 28 in Arena today with Wedge, Biggs, CLS, R2, Raid Han. I know my Rebels will run their course, but I never had any problems with Credit Heist (7* Boba, Lando, STHan, 5* Chewie and Cad). CLS was a cakewalk. This isn't the path to 1st in both arenas, but I have fun with it and do well in every game mode.
  • YaeVizsla
    3448 posts Member
    Troopers would be a challenge. The best troopers tend to be late game units (Deathtrooper, Shoretrooper), under some fairly hard to get leads (Krennic, Thrawn).

OT bounty hunters could work, depending on where they put Bossk when he comes out.

Jedi might be an okay course with the Grandmaster Yoda rework. If your son can get in a decent guild to start getting Kenobi shards, and put those guild event tokens toward hermit Yoda.

Maybe something like GM Yoda lead, Ezra, Qui Gon, Kenobi, Hermit. Maybe sub in Old Ben and Barriss in place of Kenobi and Hermit in the interim. Not high priority targets for most, but reasonably accessible, and dedicated Jedi teams at least do alright on offense in the arena right now.
    Still not a he.
  • The only viable imperial troopers team in the current arena squads is conceivably with range trooper. Otherwise they are horrible.

Jedi are viable and are making a comeback.
  • First order might also be a good early team. They do well against palpatine early on, give you as many as 4 ships to double dip with, and help get bb8 who will be great when he starts wanting to raid or work towards rjt. They are also very useful for tw, TB, and eventually can even do some solid damage in all the raids.