Rare and underrated characters that you use or fight in the arena?

Prev1
Typically the swgoh meta will only include a very select few characters, most notably right now would be empire/triumverate with a small smattering of JTR squads simply because she's so OP and hard to get. Unfortunately it's simply too easy/common/ideal to follow the meta, after all why would someone go against the grain when it's much easier to follow it? I say unfortunately because mirror matches and playing against the same squads over and over and over again is mind numbingly boring.

So with all that being said, what are some uncommon squads YOU are using or fighting against? I really started thinking about this after the recent thread where someone showed his cassian/K2SO rebel team cleaning up. Me personally I find Sidious to be highly underrated right now, there's a guy on my ladder who uses Sidious in the 5th slot where TFP/GMT would usually sit and man do those dots+exposes HURT!

Another underrated squad, imo, is the previous meta champions from the rebellion. After the EP/Vader rework it seems like everyone just assumed EP's anti rebel abilities would render them weak/useless, but after this most recent CLS event there's been a couple rebel and titan squads pop up that I'm TERRIFIED of!

So what are some non meta squads you are using/fighting against?

Replies

• I love using rex, I was running rex (L), nest, talzin, EP and thrawn
    .. but since switched back to rex (L), CLS, sion, nihilus, thrawn
  • KRU is in my main arena team, and i somtimes use fost or hoda. but none of them feel "underrated" or rare. just not typical meta.
  • NicWester
    8928 posts Member
    I really like Holdo.

She gets off her AoE and dazes a good number, often all five since I've boosted her potency pretty well and no one bothers with tenacity, it seems, then taunts and eats fracture or whatever. If I get more use out of her than that, great, if not--she still served a valuable purpose. I made the switch from zeta Finn to Rey as my leader, so she'll often land a handful of Exposes that R2-D2 will break and land more.

She does her thing and then ensures Trooper, BB8, etc can survive to do their things.
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • I get in the top 5 consistently with a full Jedi team, GMYoda (L), HYoda, GK, Ezra, Old Ben.

I can’t tell you how much fun it is to destroy all the sith meta teams out there with my never used Jedi:)
  • Plo koon is like my favorite pilot right now. And I'm pretty sure I'm the only one near the top of my shard using him.
  • Dwinkelm
    767 posts Member
    There’s a team I face in Arena that’s an absolute nightmare, I run a KRU squad and usually I have good enough control to beat most opponents on offense, but I simply have no answer for it:

AA lead, CLS, HY, GK, GAT.

So many non-attack specials that CLS just goes ham, absolutely crushing opponents, with plenty of heals and cleanses and buffs goin on behind him in support. It’s a REALLY nasty team.
  • Moroveus
    147 posts Member
    edited July 2018
    There's a Thrawn team on my shard that's absolutely nuts. The person uses Stormtrooper and Shoretrooper. Their dual taunt combines with Thrawn's Zeta leadership to add a sickening amount of protection regeneration. If I remember correctly, the other two toons this team uses are Krennic and Death Trooper.
  • STRIKEBOMB
    1232 posts Member
    Top 3 everyday with my Droid Team (HK, R2, BB-8, 88, and IPD). March 2016 shard.
  • Random9
    510 posts Member
    I use Rey (Jedi Training), R2-D2, and BB-8 with Holdo and Scavenger. Holdo works really well because of the aoe daze. Also, when you fight nightmare teams it almost always goes like this:
    1. BB-8 does secret intel.
    2. R2-D2 burns, mass exposing and filling up your team's turn meter.
    3. RJT ability blocks/dazes Vader.
    4. Scavenger Rey triple hits Palp, removing his protection.
    5. RJT triple attacks with BB-8, finishing him off.
    6. Holdo uses aoe with sion as primary target.
    7. Thrawn uses Grand Admiral's Command on Sion.
    8. Sion takes away the buffs on your team which triggers Holdo's taunt.
    9. Thrawn fractures Holdo.
    10. You kill Sion pretty easily before hatred 98% of the time
    11. Finish off Nihilus
    12. Clean up Thrawn and Vader
  • BulYwif
    1977 posts Member
    I finished 5 today with QGJ lead. Both Yoda, GK, CLS. I will use Anakin as soon he is gr 12. Really like this team. But hard against usual Traya.
  • Random9
    510 posts Member
    edited July 2018
    Random9 wrote: »
    I use Rey (Jedi Training), R2-D2, and BB-8 with Holdo and Scavenger. Holdo works really well because of the aoe daze.

Yeah, the title of the thread is rare and underrated. That's a meta team. Holdo maybe I guess...

Was referring to holdo, OP asks for rare or underrated characters
  • Roopehun
    344 posts Member
    Dwinkelm wrote: »
    There’s a team I face in Arena that’s an absolute nightmare, I run a KRU squad and usually I have good enough control to beat most opponents on offense, but I simply have no answer for it:

AA lead, CLS, HY, GK, GAT.

So many non-attack specials that CLS just goes ham, absolutely crushing opponents, with plenty of heals and cleanses and buffs goin on behind him in support. It’s a REALLY nasty team.

Get an aoe daze char as fifth when you go against them.
    It completely shuta down their mechanic.
  • YaeVizsla
    3448 posts Member
    The team I'm working on right now is similar to Random9's, but instead of scavenger Rey, I'm using Resistance Trooper.

With the Holdo/RT combo as the +2 on a Rey team, three members of the team can give RT 100% turn meter with a special. Rey, Holdo, and R2. As long as there's a debuffed target and RT can clear his debuffs, which there usually will be due to the amount of turn meter RT gains from expose being applied, he'll be able to use his special every turn to proliferate secret intel faster, drain the turn meter from other exposed enemies, and probably expose again, giving the whole team turn meter and get himself most of the way to another turn. Really quick, really brutal, and Holdo's daze can preemptively shut down a lot of defense against it.
    Still not a he.
  • Smapty
    1260 posts Member
    Vandor Chewie...

I use him in arena now in a somewhat unorthodox team... it can hold its own in high end arena

He makes the scoundrels pretty nasty with all the protection regen...

unfortunately you have to run them under Rex to really have a prayer vs the meta... regardless if you use him with L3 and Nest it makes for an annoying team (throw Raid han in there too)

But he’s a very strong and underrated character... even at low stars he serves his purpose quite well
  • Random9 wrote: »
    I use Rey (Jedi Training), R2-D2, and BB-8 with Holdo and Scavenger. Holdo works really well because of the aoe daze. Also, when you fight nightmare teams it almost always goes like this:
    1. BB-8 does secret intel.
    2. R2-D2 burns, mass exposing and filling up your team's turn meter.
    3. RJT ability blocks/dazes Vader.
    4. Scavenger Rey triple hits Palp, removing his protection.
    5. RJT triple attacks with BB-8, finishing him off.
    6. Holdo uses aoe with sion as primary target.
    7. Thrawn uses Grand Admiral's Command on Sion.
    8. Sion takes away the buffs on your team which triggers Holdo's taunt.
    9. Thrawn fractures Holdo.
    10. You kill Sion pretty easily before hatred 98% of the time
    11. Finish off Nihilus
    12. Clean up Thrawn and Vader

My guild leader runs Holdo with JTR/BB8/R2/RT and does extremely well against everyone but Traya, but thats because it's Traya. I've been slowly farming her too, if I had to choose 1 character as most underrated I'd probably pick her.
  • VonZant
    3843 posts Member
    In using holdo my self. Almost have her to 6*. She is great.

I have to second Vandor. Ive used him at every chance since the day he was released. He had a bug that I reported and they fixed it and now he is prepared almost all of the time. He hits HARD with his special and can use it every 2 turns if prepared. My 4* g8 can crit for 10k x2 on a low armor character. He gives Scoundrels phoenix-lite protection regen.

Finally Greedo. Once he gets his payout he is as good or better than Raid Han. He also has a bug that keeps him from attacking more than twice. If they fix that he will be better than Han or Leia. He will do just as much or more damage, has a buff wipe, TM manipulation, and Thermal Detonators.
  • VonZant wrote: »
    In using holdo my self. Almost have her to 6*. She is great.

Finally Greedo. Once he gets his payout he is as good or better than Raid Han. He also has a bug that keeps him from attacking more than twice. If they fix that he will be better than Han or Leia. He will do just as much or more damage, has a buff wipe, TM manipulation, and Thermal Detonators.

That would be awesome, I'd love to see bounty hunters do some work! I just finished Dengar to 7* and have Boba, Greedo and IG88 at 7*, now I just need to gear them and work on Bossk when farmable.
  • Mr_Sausage
    1869 posts Member
    I skipped the Empire meta to focus on Bounty Hunters anticipating that they would be good for arena. They weren’t so I ended up using FO and hovering around the 50’s for arena. Got real bored of them after a few months so now I’m just running teams for fun. I’m currently running IZ88 lead, zeteran Han, zeteran Chewie, GK and Raid Han. All characters G12. Having fun with them and hovering anywhere from 100-150 in arena.

I tried a droid team with IZ88 lead, zIPD, zzR2, zzBB8, and L3 but the team lacked firepower and BB8 would always die right away. L3 was only 3* G11, and IPD 5* G11. Once droids get their rework I’ll be set up for them.
  • Moroveus
    147 posts Member
    Ewoks are savage on defense, because no one runs them in arena, so few people know what works well against them.
  • There’s a Top 20 reworked BH team on my Shard.....
    No idea how he got a 7* Bossk...
    All gold rings and full Zeta
  • There’s a Top 20 reworked BH team on my Shard.....

Which one is the lead on that team?
  • Gheyst1214 wrote: »
    There’s a Top 20 reworked BH team on my Shard.....

Boba....not sure why though...isn’t Bossk better?

• VonZant
    3843 posts Member
    edited July 2018
    Gheyst1214 wrote: »
    There’s a Top 20 reworked BH team on my Shard.....

Boba....not sure why though...isn’t Bossk better?

Not for arena. I think Bossk better for pve content.

My Ideal arena BH team is Boba Dengar Zam Greedo Bossk. People can have 6 TDs stacked at a time. Bounty hunters accelerate to "Ludicrious Speed" under Boba with that many TDs. Greedo gets 25% TM everytime one pops and Zam gets an extra turn when she pops one with her basic. She can sometimes put up a second round before her first set have all expired.

My team isnt geared yet and my Dengar is only 4* but going through GW the other team rarely gets to even move. If they get payout its all over but usually I dont even get that because the other team has to get a move before Bobas activates.

They get a really really good bonus in TW too. Put them on Defense. Last War there were 6 of 8 BH teams that had more than 5 defensive wins. 2 had 8. My BH TW team averages 5 wins, and im using 88 right now. Team is g9. I remember noticing the 2 teams that lost first time had Dengar and Bossk lead. Small sample size, but there you have it.
  • Random9
    510 posts Member

It's called a visa card and a disposable income
  • Mr_Sausage
    1869 posts Member
    Moroveus wrote: »
    Ewoks are savage on defense, because no one runs them in arena, so few people know what works well against them.

I finally found a few fully zeta’d, G12 Murder Bear teams and fought them just to see what they bring. They are hovering roughly at the 100-150 mark in arena. I’ve fought them 3 times with my unconventional team and slaughtered them every single time.
    Mr_Sausage wrote: »
    I’m currently running IZ88 lead, zeteran Han, zeteran Chewie, GK and Raid Han. All characters G12.

518 posts Member
    The thing about Ewok is to knock out Logray and the one that heals and revive. Those too are critical to the squad because Logray can daze, which is the strongest debuff in this game, and the other one can cleanse and revive, which is the strongest ability in the game (the cleanse, not the revive even though this one is great as well).

I was thing of switching to BH when I'll finish my farm for HSR (Visas Marr and Pao the annoying little beast). After that, I go full on Bossk and run them as said in this topic (Boba(L), Dengar, Bossk, Zam and Greedo). This squad is actually a lot of fun and perform well in TB, TW, raids and other PvE content.

Then, I would love to see how great are the new scoundrels.
  • I sometimes use Rex L, ZZMTalzin, Zombie,Thawn & GMY.