Cost to be competitive?

Prev1
r2steve2
189 posts Member
Played 2 years ago and had all the top hero’s maxed then. Quit when original mods ruined game. Looking at picking this back up and see almost none of those characters are relevant anymore. What, ballpark, would it cost to get a top tier team again?

And any recommendations as for who to go after and how best to get? Looks like sith is strong and I can easily 7* my Vader and clear emperor event when it comes out
Hodor

Replies

• thedrjojo
    953 posts Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Swgoh.gg you can make an account and link it to let others see what you currently got.

Might be wise to look at one of the new player farming guides. But most of them are consistent:

Phoenix squad is a very useful team. The best thing they do is help you unlock Grand Admiral Thrawn who is one of the best characters in the game. Phoenix isn't hard to get in general, can be done in about a month. Two characters use cantina energy (hera/ezra), one cantina currency (chopper), one galactic war currency (zeb) and one arena currency (kanan). Sabine is the hardest but least important. You just need to clear galactic war every day and use 3 energy refreshes to farm hera/Ezra. So you can get them in a month for about 1 or 2 $20 crystal pack investment (or a single $50 pack). Or totally free for a little longer time investment. Thrawn event is in 2 weeks so you won't be able to get them ready for that, so you would be looking at about 2-3 month wait.

Commander Luke Skywalker (you just missed his event) is a great toon as well, and requires 7* farm boy Luke, old Ben, Leia, stormtrooper Han, and r2d2. You likely have made some progress on some of these characters. To get 7* r2d2 you need an empire team, which Emperor Palpatine is probably the most used leader for the top arena teams. So if you can get him, definitely do. Vader is also very good and useful, so 7* him as well.

Sith is actually overpowered currently. This is because Darth traya (only can be gotten from the sith raid so unlikely you will get her anytime soon), Darth Nihilus, and Darth Sion (all 3 from Knights of the Old Republic games). DN and DS are both farm able from hard nodes, but take a while. You can also buy crystals and buy their shards from shipments. Each cost 80 crystals/shard, and they are viable characters at 3 stars each, so you could start using them after 50 shards, or 4000 crystals, which would be about $30 or so each. To get them 7* I think it's somewhere like $150 each. But current meta involves both of them, and you asked about costs.

Emperor Palpatine, Vader, thrawn, Nihilus and Sion is the current meta, only cause traya isn't widely available, but she replaces Vader in most teams.

• Options
    I'd save your money and just enjoy the grind.
  • John_Matrix1985
    2276 posts Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Quit at the start of mod days... id say about 100K to get up to 4M GP. Depends on how fast you want to get there
  • r2steve2
    189 posts Member
    Options
    thedrjojo wrote: »
    Swgoh.gg you can make an account and link it to let others see what you currently got.

Might be wise to look at one of the new player farming guides. But most of them are consistent:

Phoenix squad is a very useful team. The best thing they do is help you unlock Grand Admiral Thrawn who is one of the best characters in the game. Phoenix isn't hard to get in general, can be done in about a month. Two characters use cantina energy (hera/ezra), one cantina currency (chopper), one galactic war currency (zeb) and one arena currency (kanan). Sabine is the hardest but least important. You just need to clear galactic war every day and use 3 energy refreshes to farm hera/Ezra. So you can get them in a month for about 1 or 2 $20 crystal pack investment (or a single $50 pack). Or totally free for a little longer time investment. Thrawn event is in 2 weeks so you won't be able to get them ready for that, so you would be looking at about 2-3 month wait.

Commander Luke Skywalker (you just missed his event) is a great toon as well, and requires 7* farm boy Luke, old Ben, Leia, stormtrooper Han, and r2d2. You likely have made some progress on some of these characters. To get 7* r2d2 you need an empire team, which Emperor Palpatine is probably the most used leader for the top arena teams. So if you can get him, definitely do. Vader is also very good and useful, so 7* him as well.

Sith is actually overpowered currently. This is because Darth traya (only can be gotten from the sith raid so unlikely you will get her anytime soon), Darth Nihilus, and Darth Sion (all 3 from Knights of the Old Republic games). DN and DS are both farm able from hard nodes, but take a while. You can also buy crystals and buy their shards from shipments. Each cost 80 crystals/shard, and they are viable characters at 3 stars each, so you could start using them after 50 shards, or 4000 crystals, which would be about $30 or so each. To get them 7* I think it's somewhere like $150 each. But current meta involves both of them, and you asked about costs.

Emperor Palpatine, Vader, thrawn, Nihilus and Sion is the current meta, only cause traya isn't widely available, but she replaces Vader in most teams.

@thedrjojo here’s the link to my collection https://swgoh.gg/u/ftb_hodor/
    Hodor
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    Honestly if you mean yo keep playing with your current roster the cost will be higher than is you started over.

You will not only be paying to catch the top. But also to gain the flexibility and bandwidth of game play they are currently enjoying.

But post your swgoh.gg it may help people give you a more detailed roadmap
  • Options
    It's expensive either way you look at it. Time or money. Go FTP (purely) it'll take a very long time or be very expensive money wise.

Hey, it's still better than MSF
  • r2steve2
    189 posts Member
    Options
    Kyno wrote: »
    Honestly if you mean yo keep playing with your current roster the cost will be higher than is you started over.

You will not only be paying to catch the top. But also to gain the flexibility and bandwidth of game play they are currently enjoying.

But post your swgoh.gg it may help people give you a more detailed roadmap

@Kyno here’s link to my collection https://swgoh.gg/u/ftb_hodor/

Start over or keep going from here?
    Hodor
  • BubbaFett
    3311 posts Member
    Options
    Keep going.... If you are going to spend, get a solid empire squad to get R2, and get farmboy to 7* so you are CLS ready.....
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    You are in an ok spot, but I would look at the others at the top of arena, if that is where you want to be. They are probably rocking 3M+ in GP. You will spend more over the long haul if you try to stay and catch up there.

If it were me and I knew I had the budget either way, and was ok walking away from my previous investment (Money not time). I would start over.
    If you just want to play and are not trying to be a top dog in arena, you can swing it, but you are lacking some key points in the current game so raids, TBs, TWs, and fleet are going to be all up hill for a while.
  • Options
    No way I'd walk away from what he has. Unless he has an unlimited budget.

You have a much better start than I thought you were going to have (and a better set of toons than I do, but I digress). Build up your Phoenix (probably won't be able to 5* thrawn unless you buy some packs during the event, but he might be useful to you at 5* to go with Palpatine, Vader). You could use tarkin who you have at 7* and I see you got a 2* Sion now. I like Nihilus over Sion personally, but can't go wrong with either on that team.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    edited July 2018
    Options
    thedrjojo wrote: »
    No way I'd walk away from what he has. Unless he has an unlimited budget.

You have a much better start than I thought you were going to have (and a better set of toons than I do, but I digress). Build up your Phoenix (probably won't be able to 5* thrawn unless you buy some packs during the event, but he might be useful to you at 5* to go with Palpatine, Vader). You could use tarkin who you have at 7* and I see you got a 2* Sion now. I like Nihilus over Sion personally, but can't go wrong with either on that team.

its not about an unlimited budget, but if someone wants to spend on the game and has any budget over the long run starting on a fresh shard with players at the same or similar level of development will be more beneficial and "cheaper" in the long run.

the advantage effect he would get competing with players 2-3 times his GP would be to just stay on par with them, its a wash with no real advantage. IMHO
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    r2steve2 wrote: »

Kyno here’s link to my collection https://swgoh.gg/u/ftb_hodor/

Start over or keep going from here?

Don't start over until you've seen your fleet shard. If you're lucky to get assigned to a young shard, then you may be able to compete for top ranks and crystals there. It might prove better for you than starting from.scratch. However, it will take a long time/grind for you to climb to the top of your current squad arena shard. You may get lucky and hit a good wave when new META defining characters are released. If you do, just ride that wave for as long time as possible.

• Drazz127
    770 posts Member
    Options
    Start over, you kind of know what you're doing so you have an advantage there. You can be free to play and finish at the top. Better embrace mods though.
  • Options
    Agreed. Fleet arena is less competitive and better bang for the buck. If you have a couple hundred to throw at the game then you could build up 4 or 5 pilots and a capital ship to get atop the leaderboard quickly.
  • Bz183
    170 posts Member
    Options
    Try using the f2p Jedi. GMY was just reworked and is totally viable on offense with other Jedi. High chance they will be meta before too long as well. Farm Hoda from guild event shop. Should allow at least top 100-50 if modded correctly.
  • Options
    You have a LOT of relevant toons there. Rex is still a top leader for many teams. Yoda got reworked and rocks bigtime now, you could make a great Jedi team for arena, raids etc, just get Hermit Yoda and done. First Order gets you BB8, and along with Finn, Rey etc you get Jedi Rey one of best in game, and Resistance teams are the other competing Meta in top 50 arena other than Sith (and Jedi are now breaking into it!)

So like some others have been saying, really depends on your goal and just how high you want to get in the different areas of the game and how deep your pockets are.

I also quit around the same time as you and came back. I was around 150-200 in Arena back then. Now, after spending 2 months daily FTP (was back then too), I can only get to 300-380. We are WAY behind everyone as Kyno is pointing out, that is definitely the bad news. For Ships, I started with nothing, and now sit at 400, but my ships stink big time, I guess I have to spend more on pilots but have too many other things to spend on that I like more. Being FTP, starting over is not a good option for me, everything takes a LONG time to acquire.

Thing to keep in mind too, is the game has really made a push, to push people to develop MANY different squads, for events, for 3 different raids, for ships, for mod challenges etc. I have a ton of squads now, Empire, NightSisters etc, and do well in raids, which gets you some much needed loot, but I am mostly a jack of all and master of none, my toons/pilots etc need about 2000 - 3000 purple mats, 200 - 300 good mods, 50 - 100 Omegas, and at least 10 - 20 Zetas, only THEN, would I be really competitive in the many different areas in the game including in my guild.

Don't underestimate Raid teams is my advice, you get Raid Han one of best in game (You have 6*already), GK one of best in game, and Traya one of best in game from the 3 raids, and much needed gear (except from the hot mess that is the sith raid, where you get, well, hot garbage....) To do well, you need many squads, starting over would mean this would be a very very long road, versus just filling in some holes in your current roster like NightSisters, Phoenix, G.Spy for new Bug Ship Meta, etc.
  • Drazhar
    784 posts Member
    Options
    It's too pay to win as of now. It could be better to star anew. The people in the top of your arena should run full g12 traya + shopped sion and so on by now.
  • Options
    In about a year of playing the game...I have spent around £20.00/$27.00.

I am not remotely competitive lol. But I enjoy it!
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Options
    On a side note:

If you start over, it will be several weeks (a few months) before you can contribute to a heroic Rancor/AAT raids. If you keep your current account you can keep farmin gear from there. You can contribute more in TW and TB and join a better guild with your current account and have better rewards than if you start over.

If starting over, you will have an advantage in your squad arena, but that's about it. On your old account it may take several months (4—6) to reach top—200 again, but when you do, you will have a better roster than if you start over.
  • Options
    Here is a related question, let's say the OP is at level 75, and then take a look at his roster etc, and that he is roughly 1Mil GP etc. How long as a FTP player, would it take just to get BACK to that level starting from scratch?

• VonZant
    3843 posts Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    No way would I start over. I have spent a little on the game in about 1.5 years and its usually to get the $10 pack to get a marquee character to 4* just because I like playing with new things. Those dont get me an edge in arena at all. I'm in a guild that only recently started doing heroic tank and we do T4 Sith raid, get 27 stars in TB and have mediocre results in TW. I'm 30-60 range in arena and 1-30 range in ships. My Arena team is 10-15k less GP (Edit: I just looked and its actually 25k less) than everyone around me. I ran a 3* Sion and 4* Nihilus for a long time in top 100 -150 arena. You dont have to spend a lot of, or any, money. F2P Jedi are an option now too. And with TW and TB there is a use for some of the "weaker" characters that you may have.

Just have a plan and learn how to use mods. Most people still dont understand them or use them properly and they are the most important part of the game. A g10 or g11 Vader with good mods is way better than a g12+5 with crappy ones.
  • Options
    VonZant wrote: »
    No way would I start over. I have spent a little on the game in about 1.5 years and its usually to get the $10 pack to get a marquee character to 4* just because I like playing with new things. Those dont get me an edge in arena at all. I'm in a guild that only recently started doing heroic tank and we do T4 Sith raid, get 27 stars in TB and have mediocre results in TW. I'm 30-60 range in arena and 1-30 range in ships. My Arena team is 10-15k less GP (Edit: I just looked and its actually 25k less) than everyone around me. I ran a 3* Sion and 4* Nihilus for a long time in top 100 -150 arena. You dont have to spend a lot of, or any, money. F2P Jedi are an option now too. And with TW and TB there is a use for some of the "weaker" characters that you may have.

Just have a plan and learn how to use mods. Most people still dont understand them or use them properly and they are the most important part of the game. A g10 or g11 Vader with good mods is way better than a g12+5 with **** ones.

I think you are missing one of the main points. The OP and myself in a similar position, will never be able to get to that level of either arena, even if we spent a small fortune, because we are TWO years behind everyone else in our older shards. I have EP & Vader at G10 with good mods, and I can barely hold 350-400 in arena, all the other teams are 30K higher in GP or more, all G12 with Zetas, etc, all things I don't have, and don't even have access too, yet.

For me, being that high arena isn't everything, but it would be nice for the crystals, which is the one thing that would make starting over tempting, and to actually be competitive again and get good rewards for it, but throwing away 6 months of hard work to get to where I am now, and the thought of doing it all again, is enough to stop me I think
  • VonZant
    3843 posts Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    I'm sorry I don't agree. If arena is important to you then Pick a team and G12 it. I'm pretty sure literally everything can be farmed now but the raid exclusive HSith stuff. I don't have any of it. I'm guessing if you have a good team then you just need to work on speed. There are top 100 teams on my shard that are Palp, Vader Tarkin, Tie Pilot + Tank (Old Ben or even Royal Guard work).

Spend all of your weekend energy in the mod challenges. Even health mods are fine. Just search for speed secondaries. Spend your extra credits in the mod store on Purple or gold mods with speed secondaries. Zetas can be had from fleet store or challenges. I only have 2 on my arena team. Tarkin and Akbar are fine fleet commanders and they are F2P.

Mods are a big equalizer as my 88k arena team with 2 zetas can attest.

g24iojvyu4ia.png

• r2steve2
    189 posts Member
    Options
    VonZant wrote: »
    I'm sorry I don't agree. If arena is important to you then Pick a team and G12 it. I'm pretty sure literally everything can be farmed now but the raid exclusive HSith stuff. I don't have any of it. I'm guessing if you have a good team then you just need to work on speed. There are top 100 teams on my shard that are Palp, Vader Tarkin, Tie Pilot + Tank (Old Ben or even Royal Guard work).

Spend all of your weekend energy in the mod challenges. Even health mods are fine. Just search for speed secondaries. Spend your extra credits in the mod store on Purple or gold mods with speed secondaries. Zetas can be had from fleet store or challenges. I only have 2 on my arena team. Tarkin and Akbar are fine fleet commanders and they are F2P.

Mods are a big equalizer as my 88k arena team with 2 zetas can attest.

g24iojvyu4ia.png

@VonZant ty for advice. Any good mod guides I can read up on ?
    Hodor
  • VonZant
    3843 posts Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    My kids want to do a YouTube channel and I was going to make a simple mod video for it but I'm lazy and havent done it. This is helpful and funny: (I personally level up all blue and above mods with speed secondary to 15, but that is just me.)

2rm9y20o5oox.png

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.reddit.com/r/SWGalaxyOfHeroes/comments/7kef0l/simple_mod_management_flowchart_for_the_creditpoor/
  • VonZant
    3843 posts Member
    Options
    Sorry one last thing - if it makes you feel any better I was in a guild with just me and my brother for the first year I played. It took us like a week to do non-heroic rancor and we got something like 4 or 5 stars in Territory Battles. So I never had any good gear or guild currency at all for the first year. Its not easy but it is possible to catch up. There is a gear cap (the HSith Stuff will make it a bit worse) so people hit the cap and then stop. You can slowly bridge the difference.
  • Options
    You're probably better of not starting over. You won't be in the top of the arena for awhile but you can build and gear an arena viable team in a few months, less if you spend money. Since arena only uses one team it, is relatively easy to catch up. Just g12 the right team, farm some speed mods, get a few zetas on them and you have as much shot as the someone who played for 2 years and has a deeper roster. The current meta is ep sith so that's a good choice. You won't get traya for awhile but neither will many of us but ep sith can beat traya assuming similar gear and mods. Another option may be jedi. With the gmy rework they can win on offense but suffer on defense. But there are two knights of the old republic jedi coming soon. Depending on their kits that may be an option too. New marquee characters cost about $300 to star but depending on the kit they can be viable at 3 star. I'd wait until the kits are announced before spending on anything. It should be announced soon since the characters are likely coming around mid july for the 15th anniversary of kotor.
  • TVF
    36599 posts Member
    Options

I'm about 15 months in, have spent about $60, and can hit top spot in both arenas on the same day.

(humble brag alert)

You can be competitive without whaling out. And really, without paying a dime.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Options
    TVF wrote: »

I'm about 15 months in, have spent about $60, and can hit top spot in both arenas on the same day.

(humble brag alert)

True stmt. I started in Nov 2016 and in top of my arena without spending a dime.
  • Options
    TVF wrote: »

I do think so - you can be competitive without spending a penny/dime...as long as you're very, very focussed and hard-working.