We taking bets?

on wether or not REVAN will be behind an LS pay wall? If so, I’ll be honest, I’ll take my $$$$ a month and pop smoke. I can only take so much of this forced expenditure for characters I actually do want but having to buy characters I never wanted for even a second. LS has far too many characters while dozens DS could have are completely ignored by a biased character release and implementation. Give us a villain legendary unlock for once utilizing DS. LS has plenty.

Replies

• Calastar
    304 posts Member
    Options
    The Revan supposedly coming will be the Revan reborn. The characters they are releasing are after he came back from Darth Revan. Most likely light and dark side
    I make character kits! Ask me and I will try my best to make one for fun.
  • Options
    More LS. Par for the course
  • Options
    The best characters in the game right now are dark side...
  • TVF
    36602 posts Member
    Options
    Ha, don't get him started.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • YaeVizsla
    3448 posts Member
    Options
    Give it a rest. Not every light side unit that comes out is a personal insult to you, Coyote.

Besides, Old Republic era is super dark side skewed right now. So far, it's the Sith triumverate, HK-47, Sith Marauder, Assassin, and Trooper, and Visas Marr. Add five light side toons and it's still seven to six, leaning dark.
    Still not a he.
  • Options
    YaeVizsla wrote: »
    Give it a rest. Not every light side unit that comes out is a personal insult to you, Coyote.

Besides, Old Republic era is super dark side skewed right now. So far, it's the Sith triumverate, HK-47, Sith Marauder, Assassin, and Trooper, and Visas Marr. Add five light side toons and it's still seven to six, leaning dark.
    I’m not talking about that era, I’m talking about overall. TB was introduced they acknowledged the lopsidedness and they only kept going making it even worse. I object mostly because those new five will Gate something we’ve wanted forever that will GATE something else. THRAWN all over again. Pay up or wait 9 months till it comes around again.
  • Options
    dimi4a wrote: »
    Calastar wrote: »
    The Revan supposedly coming will be the Revan reborn. The characters they are releasing are after he came back from Darth Revan. Most likely light and dark side

Or maybe they are adding LS toons from that era just to even the odds! We may still get Revan from his time as a Sith Lord.

Only if you whale on the five, or wait 9 months for it to come back as you FTP farm the 5
  • YaeVizsla
    3448 posts Member
    Options
    1) No characters are pay gated. Period. You will get every character you devote the time and energy toward. You may not get them as soon as the people who do pay. but you will get them.

2) There has been speculation about Revan coming out ever since the game started. There was speculation when Nihilus came out. There was speculation when the triumvirate raid happened. There's speculation now.

So. You are complaining that characters who don't exist yet are a nonexistent pay wall to an event whose existence and requirements are unverifiable at this time for a character you presume will come to the game without being announced.

That is a lot of speculation.

And even if you're right, and there is going to be a Revan's journey requiring these five specific characters... so what? If you want Revan, you work toward the prerequisites, and then you get Revan, same as every other event character. It's not some grand conspiracy, not some travesty of justice. This is a marathon collectibles game. Long term, end-game goal characters are fundamentally part of the game. While you work towards Revan, there are plenty of other teams you can play with. The game isn't all about that one unit.
    Still not a he.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options

They have pretty clearly said they wouldn't do this. So most likely not.
  • Calastar
    304 posts Member
    Options
    Kyno wrote: »

They have pretty clearly said they wouldn't do this. So most likely not.

Hmm. I didn't know that. Thanks. It still would be cool to release 2 or 3 Revans.
    I make character kits! Ask me and I will try my best to make one for fun.
  • Pyrefly
    1254 posts Member
    Options
    I object mostly because those new five will Gate something we’ve wanted forever that will GATE something else. THRAWN all over again. Pay up or wait 9 months till it comes around again.
    Only if you whale on the five, or wait 9 months for it to come back as you FTP farm the 5
    The hyperbole is strong, here.

The longest any legendary and hero's journey event has gone before its second iteration is CLS's Hero's Journey at 4.5 months. The average time to second iteration amongst such events is actually only 3 months (or 3.5 months if you exclude Yoda's event as an outlier, which returned after only 29 days).

3 to 4.5 months is not the same thing as 9 months.

And for that matter, plenty of people obtained Thrawn on the first event without spending a dime.
    swgoh.gg profile: Pyrefly -- Check out my Galactic Power Tables and my TB Phase Info Tables !!
  • Options
    Pyrefly wrote: »
    I object mostly because those new five will Gate something we’ve wanted forever that will GATE something else. THRAWN all over again. Pay up or wait 9 months till it comes around again.

The longest any legendary and hero's journey event has gone before its second iteration is CLS's Hero's Journey at 4.5 months. The average time to second iteration amongst such events is actually only 3 months (or 3.5 months if you exclude Yoda's event as an outlier, which returned after only 29 days).

And for that matter, plenty of people obtained Thrawn on the first event without spending a dime.

Plenty of people... right. I don’t know anybody that did without spending.
  • TVF
    36602 posts Member
    Options

Cut him a break, it's kinda expected from anyone with an all-caps username. ;)
  • Options
    1) No characters are pay gated. Period. You will get every character you devote the time and energy toward. You may not get them as soon as the people who do pay. but you will get them.

2) There has been speculation about Revan coming out ever since the game started. There was speculation when Nihilus came out. There was speculation when the triumvirate raid happened. There's speculation now.

So. You are complaining that characters who don't exist yet are a nonexistent pay wall to an event whose existence and requirements are unverifiable at this time for a character you presume will come to the game without being announced.

And even if you're right, and there is going to be a Revan's journey requiring these five specific characters... so what? If you want Revan, you work toward the prerequisites, and then you get Revan, same as every other event character. It's not some grand conspiracy, not some travesty of justice. This is a marathon collectibles game. Long term, end-game goal characters are fundamentally part of the game. While you work towards Revan, there are plenty of other teams you can play with. The game isn't all about that one unit.

She was initially called Pay Rey for a reason. Wait to ignore something that ruins your entire point.
  • TVF
    36602 posts Member
    Options

She was initially called Pay Rey for a reason. Wait to ignore something that ruins your entire point.

" You may not get them as soon as the people who do pay. but you will get them."

You ignored the something that ruined your entire point about their entire point.
  • Options
    TVF wrote: »

Cut him a break, it's kinda expected from anyone with an all-caps username. ;)

• jkray622
    1636 posts Member
    Options

Players with a ton of earned crystals could have. Without spending a dime, I got 6* Thrawn on the first event. If I'd had 8-10k crystals saved up, and been earning them at the rate I am now, I might have been able to 7* him on the first go around.
  • Options
    jkray622 wrote: »

Players with a ton of earned crystals could have. Without spending a dime, I got 6* Thrawn on the first event. If I'd had 8-10k crystals saved up, and been earning them at the rate I am now, I might have been able to 7* him on the first go around.

This describes literally a minute percentage of players able to place high enough in arena to earn that and even then, how many that place that high DID SAVE FOR IT without mod farming and spending elsewhere like top 10 usually need to. I don’t buy it.
  • Options

Allow me to be the first
  • jkray622
    1636 posts Member
    Options
    Just because you don't know of anyone who did this doesn't mean it didn't happen. It's feasible that some players did this. I was only scoring top 100 in arena back then and I got 6* Thrawn without a dime.

I could have spent crystals and gotten Hera up to 7*, but I didn't have the crystals to get 5 of them up to 7*, so I decided it wasn't worth it to spend crystals on any of them at the time. The next time the event returned, I got him.

I actually think that Kanaan and Zeb were my biggest limiters because I didn't have a stock of their store's currency saved up at the time.
  • Options

The game has to make money. If people spend money they should have an advantage
  • StarSon
    7441 posts Member
    edited July 2018
    Options

I spent $0 to get Thrawn on the first run. In fact, I have gotten all Legendaries and Journeys except GMY (I got him maybe 6 months after initial release) on the first run without spending any money to do so. It *can* be done, you just have to be ready for it.
  • jkray622
    1636 posts Member
    Options
    StarSon wrote: »
    I spent $0 to get Thrawn on the first run. In fact, I have gotten all Legendaries and Journeys except GMY (I got him maybe 6 months after initial release) on the first run without spending any money to do so. It *can* be done, you just have to be ready for it.

Yeah, look at patterns in the game and character release. This group of characters reminds me of the Phoenix release, which is why I'm anticipating a similar Legendary character, shortly after these 5 are released F2P.

Similarly, I'm expecting ROLO, CLS, Captain Han, and Hermit Yoda to all be required for the Jedi Luke Hero's Journey, b/c that would match the journeys for CLS and RJT.