Start hoarding mods (edited)

Prev13
Edward
651 posts Member
edited July 2018
Currently, I have over 540+ mods with speed, including speed primary and secondary.

I have stopped farming mods for a long time and only purchase from the mods store. Therefore, every mod comes with a speed, primary or secondary.

I think now is probably a good time to get more mods with speed because of the new “slicing” feature which requires to farm salvage pieces to increase mods’ status.

As a result, the chances of increasing a mod’s status will also incorporate the drop rate of salvage pieces: e.g. 0.02*0.02=0.0004. And I don’t think the drop rate of the required number of salvage pieces is going to be more than 100%.

Edited: feel free to ignore @SoonerJBD for his helpless reply.
Post edited by Edward on

Replies

• Mods are the most important resource and tool in the game. Can never have enough great ones. And yes - at times of change...it's good to have a bagful.

• Edward
    651 posts Member
    Mods are the most important resource and tool in the game. Can never have enough great ones. And yes - at times of change...it's good to have a bagful.

Regarding defence mods, I have one speed primary in mod store, checked I don’t need more. Reinventing the defence mods could be volcano burst after earthquake, even a promise has been made that other sets will remain unchanged, changing defence set alone will change everything.
  • Nauros
    5429 posts Member
    If I get it right, slicing should have no effect for those who only buy gold mods from the store. But it might be good time to level up your stockpiled speed mods, according to those who bothered with the math, the chance of increasing speed will be lower for non-gold mods.
  • kalidor
    2121 posts Member
    Start? Lol. I've got a ridiculous amount because the Sell Mod UI isn't very good, and I am always terrified of selling a good mod by mistake. Guess I'm well prepared because of a shortcoming of the game. Thanks devs! :)
    xSWCr - Nov '15 shard - swgoh.gg kalidor-m
  • Athusk
    348 posts Member
    kalidor wrote: »
    Start? Lol. I've got a ridiculous amount because the Sell Mod UI isn't very good, and I am always terrified of selling a good mod by mistake. Guess I'm well prepared because of a shortcoming of the game. Thanks devs! :)

You could sort mods before selling (which is what I do) but I guess not knowing now is beneficial.. as I don’t have as many mods stockpiled lol
  • NicWester
    8928 posts Member
    Eh. I don't care.

By all means, horde if that makes you feel better, but I'm good. I opt out. I'll just keep playing the way I have all along.
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • Edward
    651 posts Member
    edited July 2018
    Nauros wrote: »
    If I get it right, slicing should have no effect for those who only buy gold mods from the store. But it might be good time to level up your stockpiled speed mods, according to those who bothered with the math, the chance of increasing speed will be lower for non-gold mods.

Wrong, looks like you don’t understand slicing which requires us to farm salvage pieces to upgrade a random status of a mod, gold mod too, there is drop rate and ther is chance of increasing a certain status, now two factors affecting any mod.

All my decent mods with speed are lv15 and in use.
  • Jed_Eye
    175 posts Member
    edited July 2018
    Mods are the most important resource and tool in the game. Can never have enough great ones. And yes - at times of change...it's good to have a bagful.

Better hoarde them before good ones stop dropping completely.
    System is about to job the whole player base over.
  • jejuzang
    710 posts Member
    Great timing considering i sold 3 mil in mods last tuesday.
  • Huatimus
    3669 posts Member
    Edward wrote: »

Wrong, looks like you don’t understand slicing which requires us to farm salvage pieces to upgrade a random status of a mod, gold mod too, there is drop rate and ther is chance of increasing a certain status, now two factors affecting any mod.

You can’t slice Gold mods.
  • Edward
    651 posts Member
    edited July 2018
    Huatimus wrote: »

Isn’t slicing is the only way to increase some random status? So you mean gold mods already have all four status maxed?

e.g. IAYU9Wd.png

I can buy this gold mod now and level it to 12 because at lv 6, 9 and 12, the speed might increase; however, after the slicing is introduced, no one should buy this mod because it can’t be sliced further as a gold mod and the speed is fixed at 3, it would be a waste of credits.
  • I had a response typed out, . . . Silly me going to edit it for a typo, . .

Essentially ,

Isn’t slicing is the only way to increase some random status? So you mean gold mods already have all four status maxed?

e.g. IAYU9Wd.png

I can buy this gold mod now and level it to 12 because at lv 6, 9 and 12, the speed might increase; however, after the slicing is introduced, no one should buy this mod because it can’t be sliced further as a gold mod and the speed is fixed at 3, it would be a waste of credits.

You’re a little wrong,

Slicing is to upgrade a grey thru purple mod into a gold mod. Gold mods will get their four random stat bumps at 3/6/9/12, and the other one can be upgraded to gold status. So purple one slice, one random stat bump, blue two for two, green three for three , grey four for four.
  • SoonerJBD
    460 posts Member
    Leveling a mod will upgrade stats once all four secondaries are revealed. In the case of a gold mod, that means four upgrades, one each at levels 3, 6, 9 and 12. Gold mods cannot be sliced. A purple mod, which can get a max of three upgrades, will be sliceable once to give it a fourth chance to upgrade and turn it into a gold mod. Blues will be sliceable twice, etc. Regardless of color, the maximum number of upgrades to secondary stat any mod can receive is four.
  • Edward
    651 posts Member
    I had a response typed out, . . . Silly me going to edit it for a typo, . .

Essentially ,

e.g. IAYU9Wd.png

You’re a little wrong,

Slicing is to upgrade a grey thru purple mod into a gold mod. Gold mods will get their four random stat bumps at 3/6/9/12, and the other one can be upgraded to gold status. So purple one slice, one random stat bump, blue two for two, green three for three , grey four for four.

It’s more complicated than I thought, the actual update could be worse.
    Usually I just buy speed primary or secondary mods with credits and ship building materials from mods store, level them up to 9 or 12, then I can decide on its value.
    Now I have to level them and farm slicing materials to increase a status.
  • Eddiemundie
    1070 posts Member

Essentially ,

e.g. IAYU9Wd.png

You’re a little wrong,

Usually I just buy speed primary or secondary mods with credits and ship building materials from mods store, level them up to 9 or 12, then I can decide on its value.

I dont know how to help people understand this but to put it simply, a lvl1 gold mod starts with 4 secondary stats. So when the mod gets to lvl 3,6,9,12 it will upgrade a random secondary stat each. I believe you cannot slice it further as this can make mods even more imbalanced.

A lvl 1 purple mod on the other hand, will have 3 secondary stats, each of these may be randomly upgraded at lvl 3,6,9. At level 12, u reveal a 4th secondary stat. Now with slicing, u can slice this mod once to upgrade one of the 4 secondaries, and this will be random.

Likewise for lvl1 blue mods, starts with 2 secondaries, yada yada, maximum of 2 slices. For green, 1 secondary, 3 slices. Grey, 0 secondaries, 4 slices.

Imo the best strat will be to get blue mods that managed to upgrade speed twice (should happen once for every 4 blue mods u try this on) and then slice. Depending on the cost to slice (im assuming it will not be easy) this probably still means that ur grey mods are pretty worthless still as it will likely be too costly to slice it thrice.
  • Edward
    651 posts Member

Essentially ,

e.g. IAYU9Wd.png

You’re a little wrong,

I dont know how to help people understand this but to put it simply, a lvl1 gold mod starts with 4 secondary stats. So when the mod gets to lvl 3,6,9,12 it will upgrade a random secondary stat each. I believe you cannot slice it further as this can make mods even more imbalanced.

A lvl 1 purple mod on the other hand, will have 3 secondary stats, each of these may be randomly upgraded at lvl 3,6,9. At level 12, u reveal a 4th secondary stat. Now with slicing, u can slice this mod once to upgrade one of the 4 secondaries, and this will be random.

Likewise for lvl1 blue mods, starts with 2 secondaries, yada yada, maximum of 2 slices. For green, 1 secondary, 3 slices. Grey, 0 secondaries, 4 slices.

Imo the best strat will be to get blue mods that managed to upgrade speed twice (should happen once for every 4 blue mods u try this on) and then slice. Depending on the cost to slice (im assuming it will not be easy) this probably still means that ur grey mods are pretty worthless still as it will likely be too costly to slice it thrice.

Thanks for the explanation! But you don’t need to repeat again since everything you’ve said was already mentioned above.

And I don’t have any grey mods, every mod I buy comes with speed :) and I have all 540 mods with speed levelled up and put in use
  • Nauros
    5429 posts Member

Essentially ,

e.g. IAYU9Wd.png

You’re a little wrong,

Just one correction: This is how it works now, but after the change, the new stat will be revealed before any other will be upgraded. So, in case of purple mod, it will get its 4th secondary at lvl 3 and after that have three random upgrades.
    Also, interesting question is whether slicing will be possible on lvl 1 mods or they will have to be upgraded first. If it is possible on lvl 1, the way to go might be to start with green mod with speed sec, slice three times (random choice from one option = 100% speed upgrade) and level up after that with additional chance to upgrade speed further. Or, even better, take your green mods to lvl 3 now while it still upgrades the existing stat first and then wait for slicing.
  • NicWester
    8928 posts Member

Point of clarity--you can't slice a mod that started as gold. Right now any mod that's level 12+ is gold, but will revert to the original color before slicing is added.

I'm sure you knew that, but I'm pointing it out for the sake of anyone who didn't!
  • SoonerJBD
    460 posts Member

Essentially ,

e.g. IAYU9Wd.png

You’re a little wrong,

You left out one other change that will drastically reduce the value of lower tier mods like greens and blues. Those lower tier mods will no longer upgrade stats first before showing new ones. This means that instead of a green mod with starting secondary speed getting a guaranteed improvement to that speed at level 3 for 13k credits, it will now have to be upgraded to level 12 for a 25 percent chance to upgrade speed at a cost of 168k credits. They are hoping that you will also spend that 168k on every green you find, because you might reveal speed as a secondary on any green. But again, they have drastically reduced odds for improvement, meaning you are going to have to spend more than 10 times as many credits for a small chance to get a speed upgrade instead of a guaranteed upgrade. But you now have the chance to spend 16 times as many credits far more often. And people think this is a good deal because they don’t understand odds. Blues are a similar deal. You currently have a 75 percent chance for one improvement to secondary speed and a 25 percent chance for two improvements if you spend 36k credits to upgrade to level 6. With the new system, you will have to spend 168k for a 43.75 percent chance at one speed improvement and a 6.25 percent chance at two speed improvements.

So, yes, you will have more chances to get a mod to hit secondary speed. However, it will cost exponentially more, like at least 10 times more to get lucky on a lower tier mod, PLUS the new materials to slice them for additional low odds of further improvement.

Lower tier mods are about to become worthless unless you have infinite credits. Even a stash of 100 million or more will quickly disintegrate paying 168k to see the stats on every mod before deciding whether to slice it.

The exception will be any lower tier mods you already have or farm and upgrade BEFORE the change. You can get your higher odds for less credits now and then have an additional chance to improve them through slicing. Once the change goes through, green and blue mods will not be worth the investment give the odds you are chasing.
  • Presaria
    199 posts Member
    I hate the new change as it has been explained so far - it seems stupid, time consuming, and a credit drain.

Are there any positive things that come from it?

Is the world still going to be based on best speed mods?
  • TVF
    36591 posts Member
    SoonerJBD wrote: »
    The exception will be any lower tier mods you already have or farm and upgrade BEFORE the change. You can get your higher odds for less credits now and then have an additional chance to improve them through slicing. Once the change goes through, green and blue mods will not be worth the investment give the odds you are chasing.

I find myself unable or unwilling to think through what will actually be happening, so...what's the best thing to do with the mods I'm farming right now? Is it worth upgrading grey mods just in case?
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • NicWester
    8928 posts Member
    TVF wrote: »
    SoonerJBD wrote: »

I find myself unable or unwilling to think through what will actually be happening, so...what's the best thing to do with the mods I'm farming right now? Is it worth upgrading grey mods just in case?

I don't think level up grays yet. If for no other reason than you're going to get them by the fistful after the update anyway, so they'll be the same. I think the consensus is to level up anything with a speed secondary now while the odds are better.

I plan on doing nothing because, meh, don't want to spend that much mental energy on the game.
  • I think the best thing to do is play it by ear. Has happened so many times when people have planned for a mechanic to work a certain way based on assumptions and then when it doesnt work as they thought it would they start throwing salt round the forums.
  • Woodroward
    3749 posts Member
    So the crux of the logic in this thread based on all the changes is to more or less continue to do exactly what we are already doing. Level up your speed secondaries, throw away mods without them.

The change to revealing before leveling up is not a good one.
  • NicWester
    8928 posts Member
    I think the best thing to do is play it by ear. Has happened so many times when people have planned for a mechanic to work a certain way based on assumptions and then when it doesnt work as they thought it would they start throwing salt round the forums.

Well, in fairness to the folks who are hording, it's not like they're sacrificing anything by doing so. Worst case scenario is they sell the mods with bad secondary stats when the patch goes live instead of selling them right away.

The only real downside, I suppose, is if you really, really need some Cantina character right away and you're putting it off by doing mods instead AND the mods you get all turn out to be pointless AND you don't get any with speed secondaries OR the ones you get with speed secondaries are leveled up and speed isn't increased.
    Woodroward wrote: »
    So the crux of the logic in this thread based on all the changes is to more or less continue to do exactly what we are already doing. Level up your speed secondaries, throw away mods without them.

The change to revealing before leveling up is not a good one.
    Not really. If you get a gray mod now you just plain sell it because there's too much waste in leveling it up. If you get a gray mod and know there's definitely speed on it, then leveling it up becomes an option and slicing it up further becomes another possibility. In either case, you haven't actually lost anything through this change--you could still sell it if you don't want it and not level it up. It's just that now you have an option and all it really costs is credits, which are free and plentiful after a certain point in the game.
  • TVF
    36591 posts Member
    You have to level a grey mod to see if any speed shows.
  • NicWester
    8928 posts Member
    You have to level a grey mod to see if any speed shows.

It sounded to me, based on what they said in the initial post, that we'll know what secondary stats will be on mods before they're leveled up. That said, the road ahead post was reaaaally vague, so that might not be the case at all.
  • TVF
    36591 posts Member
    I meant pre-change because I misunderstood your post.
  • NicWester
    8928 posts Member
    I meant pre-change because I misunderstood your post.

Oh, oh, oh. I get it now, yeah. That's why I'm thinking folks should just sell their grays now, because they'll get more later and they'll be the same.
  • jejuzang
    710 posts Member

Essentially ,

e.g. IAYU9Wd.png

You’re a little wrong,

@Eddiemundie

So would it be better to only slice green mods with speed secondaries already revealed so you know its going to be the speed that gets improved?

Or does slicing reveal the other secondary stats and leveling the mod is what increases them?
    Asking for a friend. They completely understood mods until this half baked "clarity" post was announced
This discussion has been closed.