Why do you push updates during Prime U.S. Arena times?

Since your updates are not non intrusive, why are you pushing them during prime hours? Being in IT myself, this has always boggled my mind. We always push our updates when there is the least amount of customer impact.

While I understand this is a World Wide Game, I would have thought that there are better time frames for pushes. For example, the hour after Pacific TZ fleet finishes (UTC-10) or perhaps the TZ before you hit Brazil (UTC-01&-02).

In both of these instances, there are relatively few people who would have arena payouts as these TZ are primarily over oceans.

Replies

• Ploosh
    565 posts Member
    Probs cuz their offices are on the West Coast, and it's easiest for them to spend the day prepping the update, then make it live before the day is over and they have a little time to put out the fires.

Both of the times you suggest seem nice, but one would be well after their work hours, and the other would be too early, they probs aren't ready yet, as their work day had just begun.
  • kello_511
    1648 posts Member
    How about a few minutes after the hour then instead of a few minutes before? That would help a bit
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    kello_511 wrote: »
    How about a few minutes after the hour then instead of a few minutes before? That would help a bit

It has been a long time since they have done a few minutes before. Last night was hot fix pushes that were to help people get in game.

Most updates are around the half hour or earlier.
  • Ploosh wrote: »
    Probs cuz their offices are on the West Coast, and it's easiest for them to spend the day prepping the update, then make it live before the day is over and they have a little time to put out the fires.

Both of the times you suggest seem nice, but one would be well after their work hours, and the other would be too early, they probs aren't ready yet, as their work day had just begun.

They are IT. They are supposed to work weird hours for updates in order to provide minimal impact to their customers. That's what IT does for all companies in the world.... other than apparently ...EA.