Looking to Improve Arena Empire/Sith Team

Recently hit level 85 and I am looking for some advice on how to improve my arena team. It is a relatively new shard (Dec 17 or Jan 18) and I usually sit in the 50-100 rank in arena. I currently run Palp, Vader, TFP, Thrawn and Tarkin. Depending on my opponent, i may swap the lead to Thrawn.

I am trying to decide on where to go from here and what characters should I replace and with who. I have a few possibilities which I listed below, of these, should i gear and add to team now, farm, or ignore for arena? I am of course open to any other recommendations that I may have not thought of.

So... who do i use in my arena team:

- Darth Sion - I have him at 3* G6 - Viable at 3* if i gear him up?
- Darth Maul - Have at 6* G6
- Darth Nihilus - almost have him unlocked
- Stormtrooper - have at 7* G9
- Snowtrooper - have at 7* G7

Thanks in advance!
https://swgoh.gg/u/javibog/collection/

Replies

• Dwinkelm
    768 posts Member
    Options
    Of those listed, Sion is your best bet. Yes, he’ll need more gear and his Zeta, but he’s viable at 3* in younger servers. You should replace TFP, he brings great damage but is simply too squishy.

I know he’s not as popular as Sion, and can be used in a myriad of other empire teams, but I’m personally a big fan of Shoretrooper for this team too... the autotaunt helps control and protect earlier than Sion’s, and can be valuable (same with his team-heal).
  • Options
    How about Darth Nihilus? Worth farming?
  • Wardai
    252 posts Member
    Options
    JABCGamer wrote: »
    Pretty much with sion he would be worth farming.
  • kevsmart
    492 posts Member
    Options

He's one of the best characters in the game, only made better by adding more members of the Trio (Sion and Traya).
  • Options
    How many stars does Nihilus need to be for him to be arena viable?
  • Options
    From my own observation star count is the least important stat in the arena (compared to mods gear and ability levels)
    There are 3* bastillas tearing up my shard right now, and Jedi havnt been viable since before I started, all because of one toons leader ability. Its mindblowing what small tweaks can change on the battlefield.
  • kevsmart
    492 posts Member
    Options
    How many stars does Nihilus need to be for him to be arena viable?

DN doesn't need many because the only stat that really matters for him is speed, his damage is nothing and you get more than enough potency from EP or Traya leads.
  • Options
    Thanks for all the responses, but I do have a couple more questions :) as a reminder, my arena team sits at G10/11, my rank is between 50-80, and it’s a relatively new shard, Jan 2018 I think.

- At what gear level does Sion and Nihilus become viable for arena? I have Sion at G9 and Nihilus at G7.
    - For Sion, should I wait until he is Zeta’d? I only have the Palp lead zeta.
    - In terms of priority, who should be geared first, Sion or Nihilus?
    - For Nihilus, Kev mentioned that speed is important, with Palp as lead, should Nihilus be the fastest or be 2nd fastest after Vader?
    - Lastly, who should each of them replace? I have Palp - Vader - Tarkin - Thrawn - TFP

• Wardai
    252 posts Member
    Options
    I would wait till Sion is zeta'd which is what I'm doing (1 more mat :smile: ), Nihlus should be slower then Vader was the response I got from my questions about nightmare team, and probably tarkin/tfp replaced. Also for gear sion needs it more then Nihlus.
  • kevsmart
    492 posts Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses, but I do have a couple more questions :) as a reminder, my arena team sits at G10/11, my rank is between 50-80, and it’s a relatively new shard, Jan 2018 I think.

- At what gear level does Sion and Nihilus become viable for arena? I have Sion at G9 and Nihilus at G7.
    - For Sion, should I wait until he is Zeta’d? I only have the Palp lead zeta.
    - In terms of priority, who should be geared first, Sion or Nihilus?
    - For Nihilus, Kev mentioned that speed is important, with Palp as lead, should Nihilus be the fastest or be 2nd fastest after Vader?
    - Lastly, who should each of them replace? I have Palp - Vader - Tarkin - Thrawn - TFP

- For your shard, put them in once you have them. Zeta Sion ASAP.
    - You can put him in, but he doesn't get really good until he has the zeta.
    - Sion. And mod him as a tank until you star him up.
    - Vader should be first, you'll have a hard time making anyone else faster anyway since he gets +56 from the team.
    - TFP then Tarkin. If you don't feel like you Sion is good enough yet keep Tarkin in there longer, underrated toon.
  • Options
    Thanks for the input. I now have 4* Sion at G10 and a 4* Nihilus at G8.

So far I have been focusing on doing the hard modes to get DS and DN shards, and using the rest of the energy to gear them up. I don’t know that it’s the best approach as I’m spending 200 energy that could be spent on farming gear.

Any advice on this? Should I continue with this approach, focus on gear now shards later, or pick one to farm shards for and spend the rest of my energy in gear?
  • Options
    My Nihilus needs only one thing at 3*, speed.

Even at G8 he's rocking 16K health and protection with screwy mods. Armour is very lacking though. So you'll need a tank, like Sion, to keep the AI off him as it nearly always goes after Nihilus first.

With regards to farming I alternate between gear and shards on a weekly basis. Having only recently acquired Thrawn I obviously find myself in need of many Carbanti so that's where energy goes for a while. Gear is more benefit than stars to start with.

I love Tarkin, he's a great pitcher for Vader to knock people out the park. Thrawn can tie up troublemakers and cleanse. TFP however, I'm not finding very useful. Sure he hits hard but so does everybody else. I'll have to bench him soon and keep him piloting instead.
    Hey, it's still better than MSF
  • Options
    You could switch tfp and Tarkin for Sion and Nihilus.

Your team is worth keeping because of mod challenges and such so don't drop it entirely.
  • Options
    Go with Sion, he’s also farmable at ships 4D and light side 9A so if you’ve completed those nodes you could star him up a bit fairly quickly