Hard Node Farms

2Next

Replies

• Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Kyno wrote: »
    I would totally buy into this well written but misguided explanation IF at a certain point (even at devs discretion) toons would come off the single node farm at some point- ending the exclusivity. But they don't. They stay permanently.

I've done many single node farms. I don't begrudge them making money, as I've stated on many occasions, but I must say at what point do you break the players bank and they stop spending? It's like they cut off their nose to spite their face sometimes. They may add to Cantina, because that's revenue on a limited resource. But stated never in a store that may benefit all players.

And they did state terms. 4-6 weeks Chromium, 4-6 weeks Shipments, then f2p farmable. They set that cadence, not me. So my 3 month window is absolutely correct, and that is on the high end.

again, no that is not correct, because they also clearly state in that same post that they will put them in a store that has a rotation or on a node. and that will absolutely add time unless you supplement with crystals and is very clearly stated as part of the release cadence.

the exclusivity does end. approximately 6 months or so after they are put on a node because at that point anyone who wanted to could have them 100% free.

Got it. People need 6-9 months of exclusivity, or advantage.

Got it.

Guess I'm the only one who wants toons to go to other locations other than a 16 or 20 energy single node.

Got it.

Do they need it, I'm not sure, but have you seen how expensive the toons are?

Also, as I have said that period after they enter shipments for crystals is not exclusively about the spender who bought it previously. It's about adding value to the person who is buying with crystals they either bought or saved. That is still an "investment" and without the dwindling exclusivity of a long farm it is less so.

This game is not a hard line of P2P/F2P, there are a big range of people who dont spend $500+ a month, and there are a bunch of hoarders who play very close to the chest and may not spend any $$. They are trying to make a market for them too.
  • C'mon. New toons are nothing more than new toys. Don't call them investments. We pay to play with a new toy for a couple of months. But as with any other product they lose value over time. This happens because the novelty wears off, because other characters are released, because they stop being exclusive, because they mysteriously stop showing up on platoons when they become F2P... The point is that they devalue over time.
    It makes absolutely no sense that a year and a half old character is worth the same as a newly released character, and for devs to artificially make it a scarce good is only going to hurt themselves in the long run. It makes it impossible for newer players to catch up (unless they spend an amount of money almost no one has available) and it only makes it more frustrating for F2P who would otherwise consider spending. I for one don't like feeling blackmailed into spending, even if I would pay occasionally for some toons
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Aesuarez wrote: »
    C'mon. New toons are nothing more than new toys. Don't call them investments. We pay to play with a new toy for a couple of months. But as with any other product they lose value over time. This happens because the novelty wears off, because other characters are released, because they stop being exclusive, because they mysteriously stop showing up on platoons when they become F2P... The point is that they devalue over time.
    It makes absolutely no sense that a year and a half old character is worth the same as a newly released character, and for devs to artificially make it a scarce good is only going to hurt themselves in the long run. It makes it impossible for newer players to catch up (unless they spend an amount of money almost no one has available) and it only makes it more frustrating for F2P who would otherwise consider spending. I for one don't like feeling blackmailed into spending, even if I would pay occasionally for some toons

TW and TB keep toons valuable for way longer than their farm time. If anything mods (or lack there of) hold toons back from being more useful than anything.

Leia and Sun Fec are 2 prime examples of very old toons that are still versatile in game.

New player to catch up to who? They face players at the same level and rough time in game as they are. They dont face players that they need to catch up to a year of farming ahead of them unless they want to put themselves in that position and there is almost no real reward for them doing so.
  • Misogi1981
    31 posts Member
    edited August 2018
    I understand the pacing structure as characters shift from being more exclusive and therefore more valuable, to becoming ftp farmable. Problem is that that structure kind of stops when they become farmable. Rogue one units, for example, are nearly 2 years old, yet are still consigned to 20 cost single hard nodes. Meanwhile you have Visas and Sion at the same rarity. Occasionally you'll find them in the guild events store, but not often enough to make much of a difference.

I don't mind the hard nodes, but as newer units start rotating in to the farming pool, these older ones should be reflectively more accessible by being put onto either multiple or cheaper energy costing nodes or both.

The less than what I would describe as "exclusive" character, Storm Trooper for instance, is still hanging around on a 12 and 20 cost hard node despite being cantina store farmable. He's far from the only extremely old unit wasting spots that should have something more recent on them. Just saying...

Removing rotating units entirely from the shard store was also imo a poor decision.