Artist of War: Help with Phoenix squad mods, especially speed

Replies

• Jml727
    116 posts Member
    Zeb 170, Ezra 222, Hera 182, Kanan 157, Chopper 224

That’s the speed I am going to attempt it at tomorrow (7th *). I did sacrifice speed on kanan and zeb to get more protection...worse case I will just swap those out for straight speed and get closer to 200. But I also don’t want to spend half a day swapping mods and remembering who they go to...(looking forward to mod update for that reason). It might take some tweaking though and same with you. But I am sorta doing what you are. When I swap tomorrow I’ll post what protection I’m getting for those two and see if it helped or if I had to go to speed alone @MightyRevan3994
  • Jml727
    116 posts Member
    Oh I also wanted to say I went with chopper speed so high so he can remove taunts and buffs often...
  • Just for the record, I know a lot of people recommend putting a bunch of speed on the team, but I actually got 7* Thrawn last year on his second appearance with much less.

Hera- 140
    Kanan- 95
    Chopper- 166
    Zeb- 124
    Ezra- 146

I've since modified my team but I got it with g8 across the board and those speeds. And my Ezra's mods were total cr-ap too.
  • Thanks @JML727, and good luck tomorrow.
  • @LenoraLupin, what character level and ability level did you have? Unfortunately, I'm only at level 73 (level 7 for all abilities). I should be able to get Ezra up to Gear IX with a possibility for Hera and Chopper as well by the end of this Artist of War run, but I've been trying to figure out the mod situation given the low levels. What did you focus on for your mods when you unlocked *7 Thrawn?
  • @LenoraLupin, what character level and ability level did you have? Unfortunately, I'm only at level 73 (level 7 for all abilities). I should be able to get Ezra up to Gear IX with a possibility for Hera and Chopper as well by the end of this Artist of War run, but I've been trying to figure out the mod situation given the low levels. What did you focus on for your mods when you unlocked *7 Thrawn?

They were all gear 8 and level 85. Here's the team I used and only Ezra has really been remodded since then. Both Zeb and Chopper have the same mods, all that's been done with my Zeb is taking his mods to level 15.

Though since you can't do the omega uniques, you might have a harder time and then speed and the higher gear would be better for you. All I have to say is that if you can't get it by the last day, try autoing the event. It's what I did to get my 7* Thrawn. Only directing the attacks on the final wave to make sure to take out the right characters.
  • Thanks LenoraLupin. I was able to get Zeb's potency up to 59.92%, but it was at the cost of speed (126 now).
    I've done several runs at Tier VII and you can tell how underleveled my Phoenix characters are in the last battle (at most, I was able to knock out one trooper), e.g., Kanan was taken out with Thrawn's first fracture in at least one try. Aside from the incremental increases in stats when another gear piece is added, does jumping a gear level from Gear VIII to Gear IX add more to the health or protection bars? As soon as I hit level 74, I can get Ezra to Gear IX; I may be able to do the same for Hera; and I should be able to get Chopper to Gear IX.
  • Thanks LenoraLupin. I was able to get Zeb's potency up to 59.92%, but it was at the cost of speed (126 now).
    I've done several runs at Tier VII and you can tell how underleveled my Phoenix characters are in the last battle (at most, I was able to knock out one trooper), e.g., Kanan was taken out with Thrawn's first fracture in at least one try. Aside from the incremental increases in stats when another gear piece is added, does jumping a gear level from Gear VIII to Gear IX add more to the health or protection bars? As soon as I hit level 74, I can get Ezra to Gear IX; I may be able to do the same for Hera; and I should be able to get Chopper to Gear IX.

I honestly don't know how much gets added when gearing up. But adding more gear is always a good thing to help survive when under leveled because of the lack of omegas.
  • YKMisfit
    730 posts Member
    I've got Zeb's potency up to over 76%, and in 20+ attempts so far today, I haven't been able to land his daze more than once per match (nevermind the stun). This is both him using his basic as well as being called to assist by both Ezra and Hera.

I know it's just RNG, but I feel like there's a witch or a voodoo practitioner somewhere that I should probably be apologising to.
  • Vendi1983
    5023 posts Member
    edited July 2018
    @LenoraLupin

Using Kanan as an example; you will go from 8,900 to 14,240 base protection not including mods going from G8-G9. So if you have a bunch of 5-dot +% protection you'll more than double your G8 protection.

Zeb is 8,288 to 13,261.
  • Thanks @Vendi1983 (and congrats on getting Thrawn to 7 stars). I assume those stats are going from G8 (no gear slots filled) to Gear 9 (no gear slots filled), right? I was curious if completing all six gear slots and moving to the next gear had any other benefits, e.g., the protection bar is added when a character moves to G7.
  • Vendi1983
    5023 posts Member
    edited July 2018
    Yes it's when you hit "Upgrade". All other benefits are as you add individual pieces as per their listed stats.
  • When you hit upgrade and the various stats flash, are those new stats being added (in addition to filling the gear slots to make the upgrade possible)?
  • Vendi1983
    5023 posts Member
    I haven't paid that much attention to be honest.
  • When you hit upgrade and the various stats flash, are those new stats being added (in addition to filling the gear slots to make the upgrade possible)?

Yes, you get them twice. When you add the gear piece and then when you upgrade to the next gear level.
  • Great. Thanks for the heads up.
  • Jml727
    116 posts Member
    I got him @MightyRevan3994 !

But I had to remove potency on zeb for speed and put more protection on kanan and speed. Took only 4 tries after changing potency on zeb to 50% (was 70). So I also hit the death troopers first then healers then taunted then thrawn in case you wanted to know.
  • Congrats @Jml727. That's great news, and well deserved. Aside from removing potency for Zeb, did you have to do anything else? If you have a minute or two, can you let me know if you have any suggestions for moving around my mods since I played with them a bit (https://swgoh.gg/u/mightyrevan/collection/?f=phoenix)? I'm a little more than halfway to level 74, which would bring Ezra to Gear 9. I'm also one gear slot away from moving Hera to Gear 9 as well (depending on whether raid gear helps) and Chopper may make it to Gear 9 by the end of the event. However, I doubt that I can reach level 76 in time to unlock level 8 of the basics so I would be relying heavily on RNG and any mod help.
  • Jml727
    116 posts Member
    Vader and kanan triangle you might swap and then max out 12-15. Only reason I like that is because you gain 4 speed but critical damage on kanan and his one attack deals great damage (taunting attack).
    Ezra and chopper cross...they both have almost similar stats but I’d rather see the 10 speed on Ezra then chopper.

Only other thing I really see is maxing out the mods to 15. You have a lot of 12s. I know you won’t unlock anymore stats but you’ll max out the top stat. It’s tough in your situation. Lower level you might need to get all to G9 to replace not being 80 or higher. If you were you could get omega on the uniques and you would be golden. But you gotta push as much as you can without them maxed.
  • Thanks. Is it worth putting a potency cross on Hera or Kanan?
  • Jml727
    116 posts Member
    Depends on the secondary stats?
  • Vendi1983
    5023 posts Member
    Tenacity! Underrated.
  • Val_Galahadred
    442 posts Member
    edited July 2018
    Here are the notes that I took on beating the final tier of the Thrawn event back in January. Hopefully this is helpful for you:

I attacked the Stormtrooper until I could clear his Taunt, then used Zeb’s first special on a Deathtrooper, then attacked the same Deathtrooper to remove all of his turn meter. Then Hera called an assist on Zeb against the other Deathtrooper, and then Ezra did the same, which stunned that one, and caused him to miss a turn.

I used Kanan’s special ability to increase protection on the ally that needed it most, and didn’t use a Taunt on him or on Chopper until it was down to just Thrawn left. If you Taunt and let them focus on a single toon, they’ll kill your tank too quickly; this is one of those rare times where you want to let the enemy spread attacks around on your squad, so they all stay alive.

Kill the Deathtroopers first, then the Commanders that Heal, and by then the Stormtrooper will have his Taunt back up again, so kill him, then get rid of Thrawn last.

I ensured that I had Zeb at the highest Speed and Potency possible, as it is critical that he goes often and that he sticks his debuffs. My Zeb was at 182 speed (+67 from the best mods I had at the time back in January) and around 60% Potency. All of them were around +65 from their base speed, except for Kanan, who I modded with a Protection Arrow.

I think it’s also critical that you Omega all of the Uniques.

My Ezra was Gear 9, plus a few pieces, and everybody else was just Gear 8.
  • Thanks @Val_Galahadred. I really appreciate the rundown.
  • Jml727
    116 posts Member
    Any luck yet @MightyRevan3994?
  • No luck yet for 7*, but thanks for checking in Jml727. The most I have been able to do is knock out the Stormtrooper through a counter. Unfortunately, I can see the effect of underdeveloped characters--I'll be able to increase all 5 to level 74 tomorrow, but that doesn't allow me to hit the 76, 78, 80 (most important), and 82 levels and Omega them. I will say that in line with what @Vendi1983 said above, I was pleasantly surprised a few minutes ago when I geared Chopper up to Gear IX. Hitting upgrade increased the health from 15039 to 15116, but the protection was increased from 17467 to 25073. Ezra (currently 14853 health, 11409 protection) will hit Gear IX tomorrow as soon as I hit level 74 and Hera (15587, 12912) has five gear slots filled (the sixth she shares with Ezra and I would need to get the requisite raid gear in time to get her sixth slot filled and have her up to Gear IX as well). Kanan and Zeb are probably lost causes to try to get to Gear IX by the end of the event since both would need 5 gear slots filled.
  • @MightyRevan3994 If you can, out of the two, try and get Kanan up or at least one of the gear pieces that increases his health. You want Kanan to eat a fracture, which Zeb can do, but you really want Kanan to soak up that damage so Zeb can attack. However if you can't, I understand since they're both stun gun hogs.
  • Thanks @LenoraLupin. He has two health slots (50 Carbantis and 50 Stun Guns). I may be only able to fill one in time, but I'll push it as much as possible. I'm also hopeful that I can find a protection triangle for Kanan (he currently has a health triangle as Chopper and Zeb have the two protection triangles). I could decrease Zeb's speed from 156 to 126 by putting a protection arrow on him. I know you had success with slower speed stats for the group, but I'm not sure I can pull off the slower speed stats with the character level I have.
  • Thanks @LenoraLupin. He has two health slots (50 Carbantis and 50 Stun Guns). I may be only able to fill one in time, but I'll push it as much as possible. I'm also hopeful that I can find a protection triangle for Kanan (he currently has a health triangle as Chopper and Zeb have the two protection triangles). I could decrease Zeb's speed from 156 to 126 by putting a protection arrow on him. I know you had success with slower speed stats for the group, but I'm not sure I can pull off the slower speed stats with the character level I have.

Nah, keep the speed arrow on Zeb, he needs the speed even if you call him frequently with Hera and Ezra. I just suggest the gear on Kanan because ideally he's the one you want fractured. Chopper's too useful I've found for his assist attacks sometimes finishing off characters. And yeah, I'd say keep the speed since you don't have the benefit of the omegas like I did. I had been level 85 for months before the Phoenix characters were even added to the game, much less Thrawn.
  • Thanks @LenoraLupin. I noticed last night that a player on my shard (llya, level 74) was sporting a 7* Thrawn. I could not find the player on swgoh.gg, but I presume most of Phoenix would have been Gear IX.