Changes to mods...... I don't think this going to go the way you think it will

Prev1
Sparrow
525 posts Member
So I know we don't have all the details yet but from the latest post from @CG_TopHat it sounds like they are planning to flip how mods currently upgrade. Meaning that a green mod will get a reveal at levels 3, 6, 9, and see an increase to one of those at level 12.

The downside to this is your green mod with speed showing will now only have a 25% chance of the speed upgrading when it now currently has a 100% chance.

Just as a concerned player I want to put this out there.

If I described this correctly you may want to reconsider because you are about to have a ton of angry players.

Pretty much everyone will see this as a money grab to make slicing a requirement to get any good mods.

@CG_Carrie it would be awesome for one of you to weigh in.

Replies

• beasttx1985
    73 posts Member
    edited July 2018
    If they money grab and **** off their players there are ways for big spenders to get refunds and not take a big hit. So I doubt they would actually screw over the players but If they do big spenders won't be happy and seek remedies
  • Just upgrade them before the update. Stock up now. No biggie.
  • NasRegal
    142 posts Member
    Don't buy green mods.
    Problem solved.
  • NicWester
    8928 posts Member
    edited July 2018
    Yeah, we've been over this. If you're leveling, just use whatever you can because you need mods. If you're already max level and have plenty of sets, then be picky and go for blue or better. You'll save money and be able to buy more (quantity) better (quality) mods. Hell, with the change to level pricing, you can afford even more even better mods.

Moreover, it also means that if you have a green mod with protection as its first secondary stat and speed as its third, you now have a 25% chance of increasing that speed, instead of the 0% chance you had before the change.
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • NicWester wrote: »
    Yeah, we've been over this. If you're leveling, just use whatever you can because you need mods. If you're already max level and have plenty of sets, then be picky and go for blue or better. You'll save money and be able to buy more (quantity) better (quality) mods. Hell, with the change to level pricing, you can afford even more even better mods.

Moreover, it also means that if you have a green mod with protection as its first secondary stat and speed as its third, you now have a 25% chance of increasing that speed, instead of the 0% chance you had before the change.
    The point still stands for blue and purple mods.

• Neo2551
    1824 posts Member
    @Sparrow

Great concern. On the other hand, it forces players to slice mods to gold first, which is the way of forcing players to farm the salavages.

Maybe it will improve the overall speed of all mods (shifting from 13 to 17), because geeen mods can reach max 12 (never seen it though).
  • Ultra
    11454 posts Moderator
    Rebel_yell wrote: »
    Just upgrade them before the update. Stock up now. No biggie.
    The problem is dropping / buying a good mod later on post-update
  • Huatimus
    3669 posts Member
    Neo2551 wrote: »
    @Sparrow

Great concern. On the other hand, it forces players to slice mods to gold first, which is the way of forcing players to farm the salavages.

Maybe it will improve the overall speed of all mods (shifting from 13 to 17), because geeen mods can reach max 12 (never seen it though).

Green mods have never hit 12. Max starting is 5. Max increase is 6. Total 11.
  • Max starting is 6 btw.
  • Will this affect existing mods or just new ones?

If they start tampering with my 20+ speed mods I’ll be asking for every penny back off iTunes and I’ll probably get it if they’ve switched.
  • sying
    982 posts Member
    Will this affect existing mods or just new ones?

If they start tampering with my 20+ speed mods I’ll be asking for every penny back off iTunes and I’ll probably get it if they’ve switched.

You won’t get it and they’re only touching mods that didn’t level properly. It’s only a small fraction of mods so you probably don’t have to worry about that.

OP, this is definitely not going to go a way people will like.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    If this is the way they are going and this is the correct interpretation then doesnt that mean that any mod has a chance to proc speed 1(green), 2(blue), or 3(purple) times? Meaning not just mods that already show speed.

That means that mods that would normally be considered "worthless" can have the possibility of getting speed as a secondary and it hitting an upgrade. They are also making it cheaper to get to that point meaning you can "check" more mods for the same price.

Is this a huge advantage, no. Is it a 25% chance to proc vs 100%,50% or 33%, sure but does it take 75%+ mods and at least give them a chance to useful, yes. I feel like that is a good thing and may need to play out for a bit to see how it goes.

The more slicible mods with speed secondaries the more good to great mods you can have, but even before slicing you have more chances to get speed and have it hit. Mods are all about the quantity, and always have been so it may play out ok.
  • Woodroward
    3749 posts Member
    edited July 2018
    EDIT: Well this post makes the edit on the original post about mod updates seem confusing. If they are changing the way secondaries are leveled, there was no need to edit that post...

" in preparation for slicing, secondary stats will always be revealed before a secondary is increased. This ensures that gold mods continue to have the most value after slicing has been introduced."
  • NicWester
    8928 posts Member
    They literally and explicitly say it won't. Read the thing before panicking.
    Kyno wrote: »
    If this is the way they are going and this is the correct interpretation then doesnt that mean that any mod has a chance to proc speed 1(green), 2(blue), or 3(purple) times? Meaning not just mods that already show speed.

That means that mods that would normally be considered "worthless" can have the possibility of getting speed as a secondary and it hitting an upgrade. They are also making it cheaper to get to that point meaning you can "check" more mods for the same price.
    Oh, for sure. But you have to remember that everything is a grand conspiracy to kill Star Wars--we get people complaining when they give free stuff, so of course they'll complain when given a lateral change with the potential for a big upside.
  • Presaria
    198 posts Member
    The new change is going to be horrible, no matter which way it goes. 2018 just isn’t CG’s year and they’re on a long losing steak. I’m looking forward to 2019 already and hoping things turn around with them.
  • Darthsetty99
    255 posts Member
    edited July 2018

Is this a huge advantage, no. Is it a 25% chance to proc vs 100%,50% or 33%, sure but does it take 75%+ mods and at least give them a chance to useful, yes. I feel like that is a good thing and may need to play out for a bit to see how it goes.

The more slicible mods with speed secondaries the more good to great mods you can have, but even before slicing you have more chances to get speed and have it hit. Mods are all about the quantity, and always have been so it may play out ok.

No. They're lowering the chance to hit on speed while leveling mods. Which means on most mods will have lower speed before slicing. We're going to end up spending more currency for less of a chance at good mods.
  • NicWester wrote: »
    They literally and explicitly say it won't. Read the thing before panicking.

Could you link source of this? @NicWester
  • Darthsetty99
    255 posts Member
    edited July 2018
    All they had to do was add a way to save mod sets and everyone would have been happy. Instead just like with raid rewards and ships 2.0 they're completely changing mods. I'm guessing this will go the same way.
  • Kyno wrote: »

• Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator

No. They're lowering the chance to hit on speed while leveling mods. Which means on most mods will have lower speed before slicing. We're going to end up spending more currency for less of a chance at good mods.

Yes it will take more currency but it's cheaper (2 for 1) and you have more chances to get speed on a mod that can proc. This means you could spend less energy farming mods, because now mods that dont show speed could. No I dont expect this to all even out, but it's not as much of a drop as we may think when comparing the single level statistics. There is more going on than just the drop to 25% across the board. Some of this is in the players benefit, but we will have to wait and see how it all roles out
  • swgohfan29
    1147 posts Member
    First, we will assume "c" to be the cost of slicing a mod once. We will also assume that "c" remains the same throughout all slicing. We will also assume "a" to be the cost of levelling a mod to level 15. Finally, we will assume that the way i used to calculate new percentages are correct

From my previous calculations, all mods will now have a

31.6% chance of getting 0 speed upgrades
    42.1% chance of getting 1 speed upgrades
    21% chance of getting 2 speed upgrades
    4.6% chance of getting 3 speed upgrades
    0.3% chance of getting 4 speed upgrades

gray mods

• Before
    Assuming the gray mod has a 100% chance of spawning a speed secondary, there is a 0% chance to get a speed upgrade (hooray!). This will take $(a)

The gray mod will consume (a+4c) resources to reach the above rates.

Conclusion: Gray Mods will benefit from this update.

Green Mods
    Assuming the green mod already has a speed secondary, it would have taken $(a) to max the mod with a 100% chance of getting 1 speed upgrade.

After, it would take (a+3c) to reach the above rates. Loss of 60% chance of 1 speed secondary traded roughly for 30% chance of nothing and 30% chance of better upgrades.

Conclusions: Green Mods might be beneficial or adverse considering a)the cost "c" b)whether you want small speed upgrades or large speed upgrades.

Blue Mods
    Assuming the blue mod has 1 speed secondary, before it would take $a to max out the mod with a
    50% chance of getting 1 speed upgrades
    25% chance of getting 2 speed upgrades

After, it would take (a+2c) to reach the above rates. Loss of 8% chance for 1 and 3% chance of 2 split into 5% increase of nothing and 5% increase of better speed upgrades

Conclusions: See Green. The same.

Purple Mods
    Assuming the Purple mod has 1 speed secondary,it would take $a reasources to max out the mod and get
    44.4% chance of 1 speed upgrade
    22.2% chance of 2 speed upgrades
    3.7% chance of getting 3 speed upgrades.

After, it would take $(a+c) to get the above rates. loss of 2% to get 1 and 1% to get 2 split into 2% increase of getting 0 and 1% increase in getting 3 or more.

Purple Mods might lose out here.

Gold
    Gold mods are unaffected by this update.

Conclusion
    Winners: Gray
    Losers: Purple
    Unaffected: Gold
    Depends: Green and Blue. Depends on what you want and the cost "c", because the loss in percentages are split equally between nothing and better.

Heres how i think i will go. The truth is: it really depends on the new costs of slicing.
  • Kyno wrote: »

Yes it will take more currency but it's cheaper (2 for 1) and you have more chances to get speed on a mod that can proc. This means you could spend less energy farming mods, because now mods that dont show speed could. No I dont expect this to all even out, but it's not as much of a drop as we may think when comparing the single level statistics. There is more going on than just the drop to 25% across the board. Some of this is in the players benefit, but we will have to wait and see how it all roles out

While i agree mods that don't show speed could end up being good, you would still have to level it to 12 and slice it 4 times to find out. That a far larger investment than just farming and leveling mods that already show speed. And how often do you level a gold mod with speed now and not hit a single speed increase?
  • Woodroward
    3749 posts Member
    edited July 2018
    my mistake.
    please delete.
  • kalidor
    2121 posts Member
    Yeah, I'm a little uneasy about them too. Still don't know how much slicing will cost, and that's a big factor in determining how easy slicing will be. I was hoping that a Blue mod would open with 2 stats shown, 2 stats shown but "greyed out" and you first two upgrades would bump one of the shown stats, and the next two would enable the last two stats. This seems like the best scenario in my mind, but also not likely to be the way it is implemented. It's the same amount of randomness when receiving a mod from an event, but the guaranteed bumps would make a lot of difference in valid to the player when buying mods.
    xSWCr - Nov '15 shard - swgoh.gg kalidor-m
  • I like the idea of innovation with mods, but am terrified of the potential for a cash grab and making my hundreds of hard-farmed mods irrelevant. I want to be wrong, but....

My two cents - eliminate speed secondaries from all mods. Then whatever re-works they do, and the introduction of 6/7* mods will be much less painful.
  • 3pourr2
    1927 posts Member
    Will slicing potentially make a purple mod better than a gold mod?
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator

While i agree mods that don't show speed could end up being good, you would still have to level it to 12 and slice it 4 times to find out. That a far larger investment than just farming and leveling mods that already show speed. And how often do you level a gold mod with speed now and not hit a single speed increase?

You dont have to slice. If you had a purple mod with no speed, at 3 it shows speed, 6,9,and 12 it could proc speed. As an example. Before that purple mod would have hit some combination of existing stats then could proc at best 6 speed.

We need more information to see how good/bad it's going to be but making them cheaper is at least a good start.

The overall statistics look worse if you focus only on mods that have speed already, this is a fact, but this opened up the door to all mods of any color being able to produce speed with multiple hits on speed. This was never the case before and that could be a good thing.
  • This is all a big headache. Just continue to do what you have been doing. Don’t buy ripoff packs/don’t refresh past 200/don’t panic farm like I do.
  • NicWester
    8928 posts Member
    Could you link source of this?
    Later. I’m at SDCC right now and don’t have a break to do forum stuff unless I’m in the hotel or a long, long line. But I want to answer this next one real quick—
    3pourr2 wrote: »
    It will make your purple into a gold. So they’ll be equal—four stats, four bumps.
  • 3pourr2
    1927 posts Member
    edited July 2018
    NicWester wrote: »
    Could you link source of this?
    Later. I’m at SDCC right now and don’t have a break to do forum stuff unless I’m in the hotel or a long, long line. But I want to answer this next one real quick—
    3pourr2 wrote: »
    It will make your purple into a gold. So they’ll be equal—four stats, four bumps.

I’m thinking since the cost of maxing out a gold is reduced but cannot be sliced it may not be as good as sliced mods. Nvm I read from top hat that golds will still have highest value