Character Battle Participation Experience

I've played a few strategy games like this so I was surprised when I learned that characters that participate in battles, do not earn any experience from those battles. This leaves the only way to level them up is via training droids.

I was wondering if this kind of experience gains had ever been considered or enabled in the past and subsequently removed. There are multitudes of characters in the game and if you're not willing to drop a substantial amount of cash on the game, then leveling up those characters to diversify your roster becomes a daunting task.

I never seem to have enough training droids to spend on alternate characters anymore. Prior to level 40 this wasn't really a problem. However, now that I'm climbing past 50, I don't even earn enough droids to keep my primary light/dark side teams at the same level as my player level, let alone attempting to try new character combinations.

I think using a character in battles should be a valid way of leveling up that character in addition to using training droids. This can help keep the active characters needed to complete content progressing naturally with the player level while subsidizing leveling with earned training droids which can be used to speed up the leveling process on the primary teams or bring up new characters into the roster.
A Veteran RPG Gamer who never stops looking for ways to improve his gaming experience and well as those of others.

Check Out My Gaming Channel on Minds where you will find my
Rants, Ravings, Tips, Tricks & Brainstorms of a Veteran RPG Gamer.
https://minds.com/PapaSolDragon

Replies

• Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Nope that was never a thing in this game.

As much strategy is in this game, it's real base is resource managment with a SW/battle strategy overlay.

Many of those early resources get phased out and stock up without much effort later on.
  • I'd love to see it relax more on character acquisition and improvement just a bit. I don't mean to suggest a removal or trivialization of that game-play as the collection-ist in me enjoys the hunt and it's a big part of the continued play as new characters are added. Not to mention it's a big money maker model, but I think things could be worked to provide some more gameplay that is currently missing while not trivializing the hunt too much.

As you level, especially past level 50, the content equal to player level is rigid enough that you need to diligently focus your energy consumption on improving your best characters instead of being able to diversify via hunting new character shards or leveling up new characters. It essentially pigeonholes you into focusing power increases on the 5 most powerful toons for dark/light side you have instead of playing a strategy.

If missions provided character experience, scaled based on the level of character versus mission levels it would be an interesting way to help advance new characters without just obliterating the content with your massive toons to get the end reward. What I mean is something like:

A character more than 5 levels above or below the mission level, gains minimal character experience from completing a mission. However, if the character is within that +/-5 level range, it earns a significant amount of the experience needed for one level up just for completing the mission and a bonus for surviving the mission. Also for each character in the group that is above the mission range reduces all character experience granted by the mission in half (or even more) to discourage leeching parties.

This set of rules would encourage players to try different character combinations to earn maximum experience for leveling their characters. Diversity everywhere.

As for helping with character power increases. Some bonuses to shard collection that come to mind would be something like:

Each time you do a mission where a shard drop is possible, if the drop roll fails, increase the drop rate for the shard on the next run, stacking. Once it succeeds, reset the bonus drop rate back to 0 stacks.

Another idea would be, if the character shard for the mission matches that of one of the members of the team, increase the chance to drop the shard by a fixed amount. This would encourage players to built teams around specific characters to tackle specific missions for hunting those character shards. This would be even more gameplay and diversity.

Okay, I've rambled on enough, just some thoughts I have on the game system and how I see it could improve. Granted I do not know much behinds the scenes so these ideas could be worthwhile or they could be complete rubbish. But I hope they are worthy of consideration.

A Veteran RPG Gamer who never stops looking for ways to improve his gaming experience and well as those of others.

Check Out My Gaming Channel on Minds where you will find my
    Rants, Ravings, Tips, Tricks & Brainstorms of a Veteran RPG Gamer.
    https://minds.com/PapaSolDragon