Mod Changes Questions

Am I the only person who doesn't have the remotest idea what the upcoming mod changes mean for the average player?

I know there are a couple of "mod changes" threads but I'd appreciate it if this one wasn't merged, please. This is quite specific in that it's more of a - please can someone smart and articulate explain the upcoming mod changes in a concise and easily understandable manner?

I've read the official announcement about four times now and still, I don't understand.

What will the changes mean for me?

How can I prepare for them?

How is it going to affect how I play the game?

All wise and sensible answers gratefully received! Thank you.

Replies

• ^ Good stuff, thanks a lot, very practical.

More theoretical anyone? What's actually happening to the mod system? In a couple of sentences lol. There's a challenge...
  • Here is the summary : soon there will be 6* mods
  • Here is the summary : soon there will be 6* mods

See, this guy speaks my langauge lol...thank you Vincent.
  • All I have really taken it as is you still have to upgrade a mod to 15 but now you have to apply materials on it to maybe give the secondary increases you'd likr (if it wasnt gold) and hope for the best that none of it was a waste. Also that I have a shed ton of mods already on toons that I am going to need to splice so I hope drop rates are good.
  • scuba
    14042 posts Member
    edited August 2018
    1. Getting mod sets!
    2. Splicing will allow any mod to seem like it started as gold. Cost will be more because of needed salvage and stuff.
    3. More to come gotta beat on a rancor....
  • Woodroward
    3749 posts Member
    edited August 2018
    Mod set bonuses will be increasing for all the mod sets that aren't much used: everything but crit damage and speed.

Mods can be sorted by slot, set type, primary stat, secondary stat, rarity, and whether or not they're equipped on someone else all at once.

6* mods are out, but can only be upgraded from level 5 mods so no having to refarm all of your mods because of it. Upgrading to 6* will give a flat increase to all stats, so no RNG involved.

Mod loadouts can be saved in an interface that looks exactly like the squad select screen (multiple categories to be made by the player). They appear to be specific to characters so would have to be made individually rather than one mod loadout you use for everyone. They say this can be done by saving currently equipped mods to make it easy.

Mods can be auto equipped now based on internal code for each character that says what they can best use (may just be by role too, not sure of the specifics here). This can also be sorted to include currently equipped mods or not.

Mods will have their own energy so no more choosing between cantina characters and mods. Farming mods will no longer give cantina currency as a result, but you will still get just as much cantina currency because the amount of cantina energy you have coming in will remain unchanged, you'll just be spending it in a different spot.

• Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    They're reworking mods - likely similar to the ships rework. My guess? You'll have to spend more time and money on mods....to basically get the same relative functionality you had before the rework (relative to everyone else in your arena, guild, etc.).

"Engaging" is code for "spending".

HTH.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • Nikoms565 wrote: »
    They're reworking mods - likely similar to the ships rework. My guess? You'll have to spend more time and money on mods....to basically get the same relative functionality you had before the rework (relative to everyone else in your arena, guild, etc.).

"Engaging" is code for "spending".

HTH.

agreed. my take is you'll still have to farm mods, and most will still be worthless, but now you'll have farm something else to make the useful (i.e. speed bearing) mods ready for action.
  • Some of the changes seem positive.
    1. Mod management. We will be able to create mod sets, so if you want to change over one specific set between a couple of toons for runs in a raid or something, you can do that now. You can make a “slow” set with high offense for Han to use in Chex and then switch him back to his regular set for everything else. You will still have to pay credits to move mods, but you can move an entire set at once instead of one at a time.

2. Improved set bonuses. Underused sets like defense are getting improved set bonuses that might make them worth using on a tank, for example. The two most used sets, crit damage and speed, are not changing. Everything else is getting at least a little better.

3. Slicing. You will be able to farm slicing materials from mod battles, which you can then use to upgrade level 15 mods. Instead of changing the color of a mod as you level it, mods will stay the same color they started as. Because greens only upgrade a secondary stat once, slicing them to a higher tier will give you another random stat increase. Slicing a green will make it blue, slicing a blue will make it purple, etc. Gold mods can also be sliced into the new “6E” tier. They will get slight improvements, however those improvements won’t be randomized like when you level a mod or slice anything lower than a gold. The improvements will be set based on the stats of the mod when it was gold.

4. Mod energy. No more spending Cantina energy on farming mods. We will get a new energy pool for mod battles (to farm slicing materials) and mod challenges (to farm the mods themselves).

Some of the changes look not so good.
    2. Change to how mods upgrade when you level. When you level a mod to 3, 6, 9 and 12, it either improves and existing secondary stat or gains a new one. Right now, the mod improves existing stats BEFORE adding new ones. A white mod has no secondary stats to start, so it adds one every three levels. A green improves its existing secondary stat once at level 3, then adds new stats at 6, 9 and 12. A blue improves an existing stat at 3 and 6 and adds new ones at 9 and 12, and so on. Under the new system, existing stats will not be upgraded until AFTER new ones are added. So a free will get new secondary stats at 3, 6 and 9 and then upgrade ONE of those secondary stats at 12. Blues will get new stats at 3 and 6 and improve one secondary stat at 9 and 12, etc. The problem with that is your odds of getting speed to improve are going way down on greens and blues, going down slightly on purples and just staying the same on golds. Currently, a green mod with a speed secondary has a 100 percent chance to see speed improve. Under the new system, it will have a 25 percent chance to improve once. The trade off is that you can level greens and blues that DON’T have speed and hope they add speed before you get your chance for an improvement. So you could roll the dice more times at lower odds. You can also then slice those that do improve and hope they end up with top-end secondary speed (from a green or blue!) However, this leads to the next problem.

2. Mods are about to become a much bigger credit sink if you want to rely on farming. I know. They lowered the cost to upgrade mods. But the lower cost does not come anywhere close to offsetting the lower odds of improvement. And if you want to take a chance on greens and blues that don’t start with a speed secondary, you will quickly see your credits vanish. Your odds of successfully rolling for speed are becoming much worse, then you need even more successful rolls when you slice. This is going to mean exponentially more credits wasted (along with slicing mats) on mods that will never improve speed or only hit once. I ran some numbers a while back on how many green and blue mods you would have to upgrade and then slice to get top end speed. It’s depressing. I didn’t calculate with the lowered costs, as I did the math before that change, but it is still going to be ridiculously expensive and require you upgrade tons and tons of mods to get the kind of speed you want. The sum total of this is I think farmed mods are about to become virtually worthless. It’s a sucker’s bet. They lowered the minimum bet and have put a large jackpot in play, but they lowered your odds of winning so much that, trust me, the house will always win. You were better off betting a bit more for much better odds of a modest payout.

3. About that mod energy... A couple of problems here. One is that it won’t count towards raid tickets. Presumably you will also have to spend crystals to refresh it. And the changes mean you will have to farm many more mods to get the same results from farming that we have right now. If you have a limited number of crystals to spend on refreshes, you are going to have to decide whether to spend them on mod energy or Cantina energy. And keep in mind mod energy doesn’t count for getting 600 tickets, so I hope you still have something worthwhile to farm in the Cantina. Otherwise you get to waste resources for the hope of shard shop currency. AND spend more crystals to refresh mod energy to keep up with the demand to slice mods and farm the much higher number you are going to need under the new system.
  • All fantastic, thank you so much.

I think I'm about 30% towards understanding all the changes now lol! I guess the proof will be in the eating.

Thanks to all for taking the time out to try and help, appreciated.

• @CoastalJames ty for this post.
    And ty for everyone that commented.

I was planning on letting the minds in my guild go crazy on it and then tell me what to farm mod wise and what to do lol

I think I’ve seen that offense mods will be the ones to farm just based on what’s written... not sure.
  • scuba
    14042 posts Member
    @CoastalJames ty for this post.

I was planning on letting the minds in my guild go crazy on it and then tell me what to farm mod wise and what to do lol

I think I’ve seen that offense mods will be the ones to farm just based on what’s written... not sure.

Offense mods did get a decent boost.
    Here is discussion about new offense sets vs CD sets
    https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/178067/so-will-critical-damage-mod-sets-now-be-useless#latest
  • scuba wrote: »

Offense mods did get a decent boost.
    Here is discussion about new offense sets vs CD sets
    https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/178067/so-will-critical-damage-mod-sets-now-be-useless#latest

Thanks Scube!
  • Stokat
    828 posts Member

Defence set got a significant boos as well, might be one of the biggest changes (5% to 25% for a set). My guess is that we will see a lot of tanks using three full defence mod sets for a def bonus of 75%.
  • Sentia
    280 posts Member
    Save your crystals up now, you will want them to buy the new mod energy each day once it is available so you can grind to get your mods to 6dot for your arena team ASAP.
  • scuba
    14042 posts Member
    Stokat wrote: »

Defence set got a significant boos as well, might be one of the biggest changes (5% to 25% for a set). My guess is that we will see a lot of tanks using three full defence mod sets for a def bonus of 75%.

That 75% defense bonus is good but not as good as you may think. I ran a caulation

Example
    33.97% armor or resistance stat in game (physical or special damage mitigation)
    135% defense from mods.
    75% from sets 60% from 3 primaries would would give new armor or resistance of 53.62%
    So maybe another 20% damage mitigation.
    Which is about 2k more for 10k damage

Most characters have lower resistance than armor.
    4/5 favorite charaters in arena (DN, EP, Thrawn, Traya) don't give a kitten about armor since they only deal special damage.
  • scuba wrote: »

That 75% defense bonus is good but not as good as you may think. I ran a caulation

Example
    135% defense from mods.
    75% from sets 60% from 3 primaries would would give new armor or resistance of 53.62%

4/5 favorite charaters in arena (DN, EP, Thrawn, Traya) don't give a kitten about armor since they only deal special damage.

That defense thread was great. @Stokat I wAs just going to tell you to talk with scuba lol
    Protection might still be the better bet.
  • Stokat
    828 posts Member
    edited August 2018
    scuba wrote: »

Example
    135% defense from mods.

Great stuff, thanks for the feedback! But don’t you reckon that it still will be viable for tanks such as sith trooper and baze? They don’t really needto do more than stand there and take a beating. Or do you think that pure health sets would be better?
  • scuba
    14042 posts Member

Example
    135% defense from mods.

Great stuff, thanks for the feedback! But don’t you reckon that it still will be viable for tanks such as sith trooper and baze? They don’t really needto do more than stand there and take a beating. Or do you think that pure health sets would be better?

Yes I do think it makes those mods useful for tanks. I just like giving a real world example. By the way that example was using a maxed out SiT. 53% damage midgation is great.
  • What about the crit damage mods if you haven't done them because only Jawa's are needed, is this changing?
  • scuba
    14042 posts Member
    What about the crit damage mods if you haven't done them because only Jawa's are needed, is this changing?

Mod challenges are having faction requirements removed. So you will be able to use any faction to complete the challenges.
  • scuba
    14042 posts Member

Example
    135% defense from mods.

Yes I do think it makes those mods useful for tanks. I just like giving a real world example. By the way that example was using a maxed out SiT. 53% damage midgation is great.

One thing I forgot with this @Stokat since that example I used was with SiT he gets 100% defense from his unique so with 135% defense from mods than 100% defense from unique his armor (physical damage mitigation) would be 69.84% and 74.32% with defense up.

His resistance unmodded would be 27.18%
    With 135% from mods would be 46.72%
    With 135% from mods and 100% from unique 63.69% and then 68.67% with defense up.
    SiT is great example of character that would benefit from mods.
  • Great, intelligent, respectful contributions here. Thanks to all so much.