Jedi tactics "Run in circles 'til the timer runs out"

DuneSeaFarmer
3525 posts Member
edited August 2018
/rant on
With few exceptions, why are the majority of Jedi tactics in game defensive? And it's not just SWGOH, pretty much every SW game I play or have played, Jedi are on the low end of the damage spectrum. I'm really starting to think there is some rule when a company makes a SW game that Jedi must be whimps. I mean come on... Mace Windu, leader of the Jedi Council, is possibly the most useless of the lot.

/rant off

Replies

• Bastilla led teams are fun now. I'm running 20k power lower than most teams in my shard, and they can kill a g12 Sion before he takes a turn. I'm using Bastilla (4 star, Zeta) g12 GMY, G11 Ezra, G10 Old Ben, and G11, 6* GK at G11. Only the one zeta on the team.
  • Mahbrethir wrote: »
    Bastilla led teams are fun now. I'm running 20k power lower than most teams in my shard, and they can kill a g12 Sion before he takes a turn. I'm using Bastilla (4 star, Zeta) g12 GMY, G11 Ezra, G10 Old Ben, and G11, 6* GK at G11. Only the one zeta on the team.

This is true, I just wonder why the existing Jedi, are so .. bleh

• Because of power creep and new releases. GQJ lead used to be Meta. Other things just got 'too good' and we haven't had a solid new release for Jedi since the GMY rework and the introduction of Bastilla. GMY lead with Hermit Yoda can be solid now as well, but it's not a team I've had a chance to play with.
  • Mahbrethir wrote: »
    Because of power creep and new releases. GQJ lead used to be Meta. Other things just got 'too good' and we haven't had a solid new release for Jedi since the GMY rework and the introduction of Bastilla. GMY lead with Hermit Yoda can be solid now as well, but it's not a team I've had a chance to play with.

I just faced a Bastilla, Ezra, GMY. hGMY, Old Ben, etc.. It was not a strong team on offense. But very capable of lasting until the timer expires. I guess this is what some like, but my MMO training has me wanting more Offense. I'm a warrior, not a whimp.. To be fair, power creep is not really valid, Jedi have been underpowered since launch.
  • Turvantus
    223 posts Member
    edited August 2018
    His point is that sure, more Jedi should be useful, but ALL toons should be useful. As opposed to the current paradigm where the majority become utterly useless over time, while a few have kits so good they rarely stray from the spotlight.

For a game intended on diversity, they do a swell job of moving further and further from that prime directive with each and every action they take.
  • Turvantus wrote: »
    His point is that sure, more Jedi should be useful, but ALL toons should be useful. As opposed to the current paradigm where the majority become utterly useless over time, while a few have kits so good they rarely stray from the spotlight.

Wonder how long until the Jedi equiv. of SRT is released to make Traya useless? It'll happen, bank on it.

• Gifafi
    6017 posts Member
    Turvantus wrote: »

For a game intended on diversity, they do a swell job of moving further and further from that prime directive with each and every action they take.

How can all toons be useful? Would be nice, but..?
    Maybe End Game isn't for you
  • I think it makes perfect sense. The sith wants to destroy everything in their core, while the jedi want to protect and make peace. Of course their kit should be less dmg heavy.
  • I think it makes perfect sense. The sith wants to destroy everything in their core, while the jedi want to protect and make peace. Of course their kit should be less dmg heavy.

It was suggested elsewhere that "We wrongly assume those creating these games like Jedi, despise the Sith. That they choose good over evil. This is naïve to say the least. Most SW games show quite the opposite. Players choose to play Dark Side more then Light. So the balance is skewed in their favor, to appease the larger population of players". I have to agree here, when SWTOR launched, the devs admitted they were really surprised to see probably 90% or more players chose Dark Side. PVP was Sith vs Sith for months lol
  • Because the true nature of the Jedi way is to use the Force for knowledge and defense, never for attack.
  • Because the true nature of the Jedi way is to use the Force for knowledge and defense, never for attack.

Anakin Skywalker..

This...

And how realistic do you want it to be? I mean, Biggs is one of the best pilots in the game- but he dies after his first two lines in the movie. Genosians have a good worth in fleet battles, but they get completely erraticated by Vader.

The game works on a Rock-Paper-Scissors scheme with a side of Human Foot-Nuclear Bomb-Cockroach.

I do wish the jedis had a revamp- but not by much. I think we will get what we seek when we get Revan
  • HK666
    1263 posts Member
    Ani turned dark side...

I think Jedi are usually seen as 'wimps' compared to the Sith because developers try to be true to their ideologies, Jedi are supposed to be more on the defensive side and Sith wield the awesome Force Powers without holding anything back

In KOTOR, that means Light Side got buffs while Dark Side got attacks. Either way the game was easy, but what seems cooler, spending three turns waving your hand so you can murder the enemy with your lightsaber in a single turn, or just blasting lighting and literal death at them

In TOR, side meant little difference, but Dark Side usually looks and sounds cooler. Example- Telekenetic Wave versus a Lightning Attack. Bounty Hunter rockets and flamethrower versus Trooper grenade and like... ion caster or something

I think most games (at least the ones I've played) do a good job of balancing the two sides/groups, even though it usually looks like Dark Side are better fighters at first approach

This game is a bit of an exception because who's dominant is constantly changing, so everyone's gonna get the short end of the stick sometime
  • Boba_The_Fetter
    3393 posts Member
    edited August 2018
    Have you seen GMY and Ezra?them two pack a serious punch
  • Have you seen GMY and Ezra?them two pack a serious punch

Hence why I started with "With few exceptions," :D
  • In one of the clone wars episodes, (the one where they were busting the short Jedi out of that prison) tarkin even said to Anakin something along the lines of "the Jedi ways often lead to their shortcomings of victory"

That being said I almost timed out against a bastilla because hoda kept healing GK, and I killed their only damage dealer(GMY).. I think a new Jedi attacker is needed badly.
  • At the risk of defeating part of my original premise, one player in SWG said on their forums "Realism? You want realism, if the game was realistic, I'd swing once and your head would be laying next to you.." circa Jango Fett.

The Jedi being highly defensive is fine in arena, but hinders them outside pvp (ok Player vs AI but that is another rant, for another time lol) and makes them practically useless elsewhere. I suppose it could be said PVP ruins yet another game because of "balance" issues.
  • In one of the clone wars episodes, (the one where they were busting the short Jedi out of that prison) tarkin even said to Anakin something along the lines of "the Jedi ways often lead to their shortcomings of victory"

In the part ii of that episode- anakin remind Ashoka that the Jedi aren’t soldiers, they are peace keepers. Better on the defensive.
  • Turvantus
    223 posts Member
    edited August 2018
    They need Light Side General Krell; you know, before he murdered his own army... :p

It was suggested elsewhere that "We wrongly assume those creating these games like Jedi, despise the Sith. That they choose good over evil. This is naïve to say the least. Most SW games show quite the opposite. Players choose to play Dark Side more then Light. So the balance is skewed in their favor, to appease the larger population of players". I have to agree here, when SWTOR launched, the devs admitted they were really surprised to see probably 90% or more players chose Dark Side. PVP was Sith vs Sith for months lol

I dont see what popularity has to do anything with dmg. Its only logical that the sith is more popular - remember this is fantasy, a game, we want to do things that we cant do irl. You can act like a jedi and be a full member of the society (be good to others, seek peace, help the poor..), but you cant really conquer planets and destroy everything, so you rather do it in the game.
  • Quinlan Vos could be a good attacker.
  • Because they haven’t been addressed since before all the new hard hitting toons started coming out.
  • Rath_Tarr
    4944 posts Member
    If we are going for realism, or at least Star Wars lore then the Sith should be attacking each other half the time. Just sayin. :p
  • I'll never use a Jedi team...robed weirdos.
  • cannonfodder_iv
    992 posts Member
    edited August 2018
    Jedi could use one more buff / action to be truly top tier arena viable. They're fine against everything except a good Sith Trooper under Traya, where their lack of defense penetration is really on display. Giving Hoda a zeta that let a random jedi attack on his basic heal, or giving a defense penetration up buff on his basic would bring them on par with the Traya / Sion / DN / Sith Trooper + 1 meta.
  • If you want real reality- the Jedi squads should only win if they find a air duct to sneak into
  • Ruprecht
    112 posts Member
    edited August 2018
    Well tbh of course most people prefer to play dark side.
    I mean c'mon, the Jedi order is a bit too much like the catholic church.
    If they weren't that strict in their stewpid believes, the mightiest Jedi to ever have lived wouldn't have betrayed them.
    And he wouldn't have become Darth Vader.
    And don't forget they froze out Ahsoka as well with their middle age thinking and believes.
    The only Jedi who really got it was Qui Gon Jinn.
  • I disagree with most of what is posted.

Most of our Jedi are e1-6. One topic yoda himself spoke about was the diminishing power of the Jedi. Not in the way of less jedi but as if something was dampening their powers. They could not even see order 66 being issued. Most of the Jedi we have are suspect due to this effect. It is widely accepted palpatine used some type of meditation or sith knowledge to accomplish this.

Non e1 -6 jedi are fairly powerful. Ezra Batista Kanan..jolie is a healer so he does not count. This game hates healers. As more none1-6 jedi are released the overall power of the jedi faction will increase byx factors.

To prove my point...do you think yoda could defeat revan? Hell yoda could not defeat palpatine. The power level of jedi were weakest during e1-6