Is this game just for whales now?

Been playing since Jan of 2017, and ever since Carrie has announced herself as the EP (and I'm not saying she's new or not, I don't know. Just that since I've noticed her presence on the forums) things in the game seemed to have changed.

1) It seems like the new characters are designed to change the meta, and that meta is changing 3 times a year, AND that with the exception of EP, the meta is hinged on a premium character.

2) When they increase drops, like go to double drops, it seems as if the frequency of actually gaining something from these drops goes down.

3) In general, it's much harder to gear. It used to be basically 1:3 rolls for a gear drop you wanted. Now it seems closer to 1:5. In fact, the closer you get to increasing a gear level, the drop rate seems to become more and more rare, as if the game (algorithm that governs drops) knows a player is more likely to buy resets the closer they get.

It's starting to feel pretty shady. You won't be getting any more money from me until things loosen up.

Replies

• Maxminus1980
    78 posts Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Not alone, the last TB platoon deployment was a clear message on what they think about it’s customers/player base. Gear unbalanced. Challenge gear in raid loot table Wouldn’t be a big deal if they would half the savage required per gear. 50 to 25. Currently would literally need thousands. But that’s the “spirit of the game” The list goes on and on.

On the brighter side I just got my first ship omega since ships 2.0 from a farmable node!

#Make SWGoH great again?
  • Ruark_Icefire
    856 posts Member
    edited August 2018
    Options

1) It seems like the new characters are designed to change the meta, and that meta is changing 3 times a year, AND that with the exception of EP, the meta is hinged on a premium character.

Explain. On my shard the meta is CLS, JTR, Bastilla, Traya, Palp, and Rex teams. Only Bastila is a premium character and she is viable at 3 stars. Who exactly are these premium characters defining the meta that you don't have access to?
  • Options
    TB Platoons certainly is.

Gearing is designed to be so obnoxious you feel compelled to burn the crystals on stuff like furnaces, droid callers etc. Raids often drop nothing of note. Rancor is the best one. It definitely adjusts itself drop wise, it makes you burn some extra crystals to get the last few pieces, seems strange they immediately drop from a refresh.

Toons keep ending up on hard nodes, again, crystal burners.

New mod setup will be unbearable, new energy, crystal burner again. Not to mention credit crunch will likely hit yawn levels. We asked for management, no profit in just doing that of course so they threw in some other bull hockey along with it.

Those are a few of the highlights. Once we get to MSF levels of greed, I'll be on my way.

Hey, it's still better than MSF
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    1) every "premier" toon in the meta has been viable at 3-4 stars.

2) I would love to see your data on this.

3)Again, I would love to see your data. People have produced data for drops before and shown that it is around the 1/3 you are saying and I think 1 or 2 of them have even shown that in the small sample size they could that there was no appreciable difference at or near star or gear closing.

- the game has always been a grind and that's is a fact. They dont need to slow it down any more than it is, because things already take time.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    Kyno wrote: »

So are you saying that it's not necessary to star toons?

You should look up what "seems" means.

Well as a player who has seen 3-4*, nihilus, sion, nest, Bastila, and chaze in arena I think that's a good base to start from.

You also have R2, thrawn, traya and GK who could rock out at 5* when they unlock.

Not sure what other premium toons you could be referring too.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options

Well as a player who has seen 3-4*, nihilus, sion, nest, Bastila, and chaze in arena I think that's a good base to start from.

You also have R2, thrawn, traya and GK who could rock out at 5* when they unlock.

I've seen an ughnaught in the arena too. I'm not sure what you mean.

Sorry let me clarify, top 10 in a Dec '15 shard.

These are all premium toons and any toon worth their salt in the game is viable at 3*, better at higher stars and more useful at 7*. Non of this excludes F2p, it just delays them.

F2p move at one pace and people who $$ move at a faster one, but we all end up at the same place, and with planning and focus f2p do very well.
  • Options

I've seen an ughnaught in the arena too. I'm not sure what you mean.

He's asking you to name one of these meta changing premium toons you referred to that requires spending money on before they are arena viable. He's named quite a few that are viable without spending a cent.

Also, I wouldn't expect much help from anyone on drop rates that "seem" off. Plenty of folks have analyzed large samples of drop rates and found nothing amiss. I'm sure you can find a few of these threads easily enough.

None of the items you've brought up are new. I hope you find the answers you are looking for.
  • Options
    Gear level matters more than stars.

I’ve never accumulated crystals faster than I am with TB/TW and fleet change to payout top 50

Fleet battles have great drop rates and gear combos on normal nodes.

Almost ever faction has viability in raids and across multiple game modes.

The plethora of new toons in TB has happened before and it will peter out in 3 months once they become farmable. Happens every time they drop a lot of new toons. It’s annoying but it goes away.

Seeming double drop decreases are just in your head

The game has never been in a better place. There are still elements that need tweaking, but for mature players the gear, credit, and shard crunch is at its lightest since I’ve been playing.

TL;DR - I disagree.
  • jejuzang
    710 posts Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Higher level gear drops less. I thought that was common knowledge. Youve stopped farming green and white pieces and are now farming purple ones. They don't drop well, get them with crystals.
  • Options
    jhbuchholz wrote: »
    He's asking you to name one of these meta changing premium toons you referred to that requires spending money on

Oh, you mean like for JTR, having to 7 star 5 first order, Rey, Finn, Scoundrel Han, Scoundrel Chewbacca? Those 8 guys you mean? I guess, since they give you lots of warning in the game when the event is coming, you could farm it. And to Gear 8 or 9. They give you like 4 days, or even a week don't they in advance and another week during the event. 9 characters in 14 days from 3 star level 1 to 7 star G8? For JTR? You could F2P that.

Another Meta is CLS. Lets see, You'll need 9 guys for him as well. 2 weeks?

You are going to try cry about hero journey chars? Really? Lol wow . . ..
  • Options

The point he's trying to make is that it doesn't cost money for the meta. I'm saying it does. If you can't keep up, then get your service dog to turn off the internet for you.

Mebbe you should try reading post that are written, not presuming to catch it at a glance sweetie. No one has said anything about that at all, you are making things up to suit your skewed personal thoughts which are off in left field and I believe that that is quicksand your standing in btw, good luck . . .
  • Options
    Man do you have your wires crossed
  • Options
    Totally not just for whales. I'm running Jedi in arena, can take first every day. That's one legendary and no hero's journey toons. And a Marquee toon that is not starred up yet. And I'm earning 500 crystals a day. Which means that I have the same number of crystals as someone who spends (very roughly) $100-$150 a month on the game. And I've never spent a cent. And those crystals fund the rest of my roster development.
    So yes, the game can be played without money. If you're smart about it.
    "Don't take yourself so serious; it's a game, have fun!" • https://swgoh.gg/u/yerffcaasi/
  • YaeVizsla
    3448 posts Member
    Options
    3)Again, I would love to see your data. People have produced data for drops before and shown that it is around the 1/3 you are saying and I think 1 or 2 of them have even shown that in the small sample size they could that there was no appreciable difference at or near star or gear closing.
    That's for character shards.

The data I've seen has shown variable drop rates for gear. Not individually, but by category. White gear has a much higher drop rate than character shards, and as you get to higher-end gear, the odds do get lower. IIRC, the odds bottomed out at around 22% for gold, which is part of why farming via energy is a terrible primary source for them.
    Still not a he.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    YaeVizsla wrote: »
    That's for character shards.

The data I've seen has shown variable drop rates for gear. Not individually, but by category. White gear has a much higher drop rate than character shards, and as you get to higher-end gear, the odds do get lower. IIRC, the odds bottomed out at around 22% for gold, which is part of why farming via energy is a terrible primary source for them.

Correct, but it is still shown to be fixed at the level it is for a tier.
  • Mr_Sausage
    1869 posts Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    This game is very FTP friendly. If this game was strictly for whales it would’t exist.
  • Options
    He's asking you to name one of these meta changing premium toons you referred to that requires spending money on

Oh, you mean like for JTR, having to 7 star 5 first order, Rey, Finn, Scoundrel Han, Scoundrel Chewbacca? Those 8 guys you mean? I guess, since they give you lots of warning in the game when the event is coming, you could farm it. And to Gear 8 or 9. They give you like 4 days, or even a week don't they in advance and another week during the event. 9 characters in 14 days from 3 star level 1 to 7 star G8? For JTR? You could F2P that.

I am F2P and have only been playing for 6 months. I have CLS and will be ready for JTR within the next 2 weeks.
  • Options

There are many many posts here about f2p that got rey the first time (myself included) whitouth spending a cent. And even if they didn't, she wasn't meta defining, there were other options to get top arena at that time. There's always a f2p alternative (I'm looking at you, Rex)
  • Options
    It is when 30 characters need the 3 same pieces of equipment that first has to be salvaged. Stun guns, fusion, droid caller to name a few not mention the lap top crunch early on. Which is funny because I have almost 500 to 1000 of other high level purple gear that is used literally on no one but maybe 1 toon here and there. I sat down and did the math to gear the current 4 teams im working on it will take me close 2 years at this supposed 30% drop rate to get them up to g10. Some of them I cant even get past g7 because they require mutliple raid pieces. Yet I have thousands of other gear just sitting there.

CG created these bottle necks on purpose so people will pay 2k gems for a stun gun or 1400 for a furnace. You guys have made a ton of money and would still make a ton of money if you actually made more the 3/4 of the gear in the game useful. I could screen shot the gear and hwo it shows nobody under it needing it but you already know that. Just like you know 30 to 40 different toons need the EXACT same gear not just for one level but mutlple levels.

You guys are driving this game completely in the ground and you do realize the whales alone cant support this game. Study after study has shown its not the 1000 spending 10k but the million spending 10 to 50 here and there that keep these games afloat. I dont even know why I wasted time or breath om this game from here on out any game that has EA anywhere in the title I can expect it to turn into a money sucking vampire after the player base has been establishrd and the addicts are entrenched.
  • Options
    Energy is not your primary means of farming high level gear.

If you use energy as your primary means of farming high level gear, of course you will take an inordinately long time. Shard store, guild store, guild event store, raids, territory battles, territory wars. Of course gearing rates are going to sound dumb if you ignore most of the vectors for gaining gear, but plenty of free players get multiple units to G12 just fine without spending money.

This game is the fairest to free players I've seen from a freemium model.

If you have 30-40 toons who are your priority right now, you're probably playing this game badly. This is a game about focus, planning, and collecting. It's about prioritizing. If you're spreading yourself too thin, then of course you're going to get frustrated.

Gear crunch is a pacing mechanic. The progression of this game is continuously improving the characters you like. That's the bulk of the game. The actual fighting is showing a payoff for the resource management aspect of the game. If there is no gear crunch to regulate that progression, the end result is you run out of content.

This is a marathon game, not a sprint game. That's not for everybody, and that's fine, but that doesn't make it the evil exploitation of the innocent playerbase by the greedy corporation. It makes it a competently designed game of a type you do not prefer.
    Still not a he.
  • Options
    Very well said.
    "Don't take yourself so serious; it's a game, have fun!" • https://swgoh.gg/u/yerffcaasi/
  • Options

The point he's trying to make is that it doesn't cost money for the meta. I'm saying it does. If you can't keep up, then get your service dog to turn off the internet for you.

But whatever, apologists never change reality. I knew it was pointless before I posted it, but I said my peace and I'm out.

But only a small fraction of players spend money. Throughout all the meta changes and character releases I have never heard of a mayor drop in arena ranks. Usually things even out once people get to know about meta counter teams. Before I unlocked Traya I held my average rank of 2-3 in arena using Rex lead, Talzin, DN, CLS, Thrawn. All were F2P at the time or available for a long time.

Actually I think that spending money does not give as big an advantage as many players believe.