If you look into a shard chat you'll realize how broken arena is!

I can't describe how bad it is in my shard chats. People get so toxic over others trying to do better for themselves. Arena is nothing but cooperation at the top spots with alot of hate for those who interfere.

I want to see the whole system being reworked so that people's payout depends on individual performance and not social relations... I'm tired of people securing payouts that they don't deserve while others who do deserve it, they are left out because they simply aren't part of the group.

Arena has become a matter of which group you belong to. I suggest that we have a system that's independent of time zones and specific people. I want something that's more dynamic, where enemies are being recycled and you are being rewarded on individual performance day to day. Only this way we'll have a fair and incentivizing system to keep getting better.

Replies

• Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Options
    [...]

Arena is nothing but cooperation at the top spots with alot of hate for those who interfere.

[...]

I'm tired of people securing payouts that they don't deserve while others who do deserve it, they are left out because they simply aren't part of the group.

I never saw this hate, you describe, in any of shard chats I know.

If you rank 1st at payout, you deserve the rewards for first place. That's all that counts. The arena is fair in this way. The payout system doesn't know about shard chats. All it knows is your rank.

• Options
    Waqui wrote: »
    [...]

Arena is nothing but cooperation at the top spots with alot of hate for those who interfere.

[...]

I'm tired of people securing payouts that they don't deserve while others who do deserve it, they are left out because they simply aren't part of the group.

If you rank 1st at payout, you deserve the rewards for first place. That's all that counts. The arena is fair in this way. The payout system doesn't know about shard chats. All it knows is your rank.

Hate towards other who are trying to sneak in and grab the payout
  • Options
    [...]

[...]

And no, not everyone who reaches 1st because their buddies are sniping everyone else, deserves to get 1st
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    not every shard chat is how you describe it.
  • Options
    Kyno wrote: »

I guess the real question is, should they even exist?
  • Options
    The real question is, can you do anything to prevent it?
  • Options
    The real question is, what really happened to cause an issue? Was there some playing outside of payout hours, or attempted squatting at first in the mix somewhere . . . .
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options

Huatimus wrote: »

This. they are on 3rd party apps and while many people have tried there have not been any real suggestions that actually solve the problem, or dont hurt many more than it helps.
  • Poxx
    2288 posts Member
    Options
    To the OP. What if the top 10 in your Arena shard were all in the same guild ? Would you view it as justified in that case ?

Shard chat is no different. It's ppl that work together for the maximum rewards for minimum time.

Makes perfect sense. My shard chat isn't hostile in the least. An occasional "Hey, WTH" ? But that's about it.
  • Options
    Corruptor wrote: »
    Yea it’s broken. Besides collusion, there’s the protection of whale accounts or should I say, bad RNG fighting against them, Always, everyday. But I’m a **** player and need better strategy.

Lol well, . . Your pics are poor, the guess is you are using sub par squads to attack with, and as for your wild claims of weighted rng towards certain squads , that’s a rather preposterous asertation.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    Corruptor wrote: »
    Yea it’s broken. Besides collusion, there’s the protection of whale accounts or should I say, bad RNG fighting against them, Always, everyday. But I’m a **** player and need better strategy.

Lol well, . . Your pics are poor, the guess is you are using sub par squads to attack with, and as for your wild claims of weighted rng towards certain squads , that’s a rather preposterous asertation.

Just 2ant to add, p2p will almost always have better mods, that can make a difference. It's a pretty big difference between making the best set you can to get the speed you want and making the right set and primaries for a squad and having it be at arena speed.
  • five2zero
    512 posts Member
    edited August 2018
    Options

This. they are on 3rd party apps and while many people have tried there have not been any real suggestions that actually solve the problem, or dont hurt many more than it helps.

3rd Party, not only (you dont need discord)

click me: new-chat-ruined-arena
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    five2zero wrote: »

3rd Party, not only (you dont need discord)

click me: new-chat-ruined-arena

I never said only, and in game chat has not been around as long as the game. The new chat didnt help or hurt the situation, it's just another way to accomplish the same thing.
  • Options
    Poxx wrote: »
    To the OP. What if the top 10 in your Arena shard were all in the same guild ? Would you view it as justified in that case ?

Shard chat is no different. It's ppl that work together for the maximum rewards for minimum time.

Makes perfect sense. My shard chat isn't hostile in the least. An occasional "Hey, WTH" ? But that's about it.

I completely understand your point. But I don’t think a lot of people who share your view understand how some people view arena. It’s adverised as PVP, and some people want it to be competitive.

To illustrate the point, let’s imagine this was Battlefront or Call of Duty or something. Shard chats to rotate payout would be kind of like a group in FFA mode rotating who gets the most kills to win the match and everybody working together to help everyone complete match objectives or milestones, even though it’s designed to be an individual mode. Then a new person comes in and wants to actually play and compete and everyone turns and gangs up on him, and so he has virtually no chance of winning. It’s either join and work together to complete milestones and level up and unlock rewards or get the snot beat out of you until you give up.

I absolutely understand how some people don’t want to compete and just want to get the best rewards. It’s not a game mode, it’s a salary mode. But for some reason a large chunk of these people are somehow amazed when others show up and actually want to play a competitive game.
  • Options
    But for some reason a large chunk of these people are somehow amazed when others show up and actually want to play a competitive game.

Then CG should make it a competitive mode. As it is, with every person in the top 50 (or more) able to win every time on offense and therefore lose every time on defense is just a time sink.

I understand people want a competitive game mode. Getting rid of shard chats doesn't completely do this though. Live PVP, tuneable AI, and defensive bonuses/skills are some ways to make it more competitive. I wouldn't expect any of these any time soon.
  • Options
    jhbuchholz wrote: »
    But for some reason a large chunk of these people are somehow amazed when others show up and actually want to play a competitive game.

Then CG should make it a competitive mode. As it is, with every person in the top 50 (or more) able to win every time on offense and therefore lose every time on defense is just a time sink.

I understand people want a competitive game mode. Getting rid of shard chats doesn't completely do this though. Live PVP, tuneable AI, and defensive bonuses/skills are some ways to make it more competitive. I wouldn't expect any of these any time soon.

The terrible defense certainly hampers the competitive part of the mode. But shard chat are it’s biggest downfall. I hate the mode now. I’m fine being in a chat and easily taking 1 everyday and moving along. I didn’t used to be that way. I used to be super competitive, and the battle for #1 every day before arena chats was the highlight of the game. That was absolutely my peak enjoyment for SWGOH, and it’s definitely what got me hooked. Arena was why I farmed everything else. That was the end goal, to get #1 in arena. Doing that was winning the game for the day. At that time I would have rather spent 800 crystals to get 1st than 0 crystals to get 2nd. I wanted to win, and crystals were there to help me win. The arena game of chicken had its frustrations, but overall it was still fun.

Arena isn’t fun anymore. It might as well be GW now. It’s a chore mode. There’s no skill, and no reward for developing better characters. It’s literally like a job, I just do it to collect the salary.
  • Sprat
    24 posts Member
    Options
    I’ve searched and searched to see if my shards have a chat, but apparently not. Maybe cuz I’m in Asia with many different countries in the same time zone and language differences are preventing it. Tbh I’m happy not to find one. But if there is one they probably hate me. I play for first (in ships at least) and do what needs to be done to get it.

I’ve always thought that was the point of the game. To get together and set things up so everyone gets a good payout...I just don’t understand it. It’s like being in a real war and learning there’s a huge supply depot that was abandoned and calling all your enemies to see who needs it more. Ok, you take it enemy and use it to help supply your army that ultimately I’ll have to fight someday. Again, doesn’t make sense.

Anyway, nothing to be done about it so whatever. Just play and do the best ya can.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Options
    [...]

[...]

Hate towards other who are trying to sneak in and grab the payout

Of course they fight to secure 1st rank for themselves. What did you expect? But still, I haven't seen any hate as you describe it.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Options
    [...]

[...]

And no, not everyone who reaches 1st because their buddies are sniping everyone else, deserves to get 1st

They reached first place. Of course they deserve the prize. You may feel that your team is stronger than theirs, but apparently you loose more battles. Arena is not about how good your team is — it's about actually reaching high ranks.
  • Options
    Perhaps if we were allowed to pick the time in which said "competition" took place many of us would be more amenable to "competition", but it's foisted upon as at an hour where many of us would rather be doing other things. I put "competition" in quote because it's not PVP, as pointed out - it's player team construction using programmatic algorithms on defense. You're not beating someone else, you're beating the "AI's" implementation of their team. There's a significant difference.

In reality, most shard chats are accommodating to various degrees and the "protection" they provide, at least as I've seen it (and I've been in three for squad), is to protect people with known payouts against random climbers who "just love to compete", but really just want to climb whenever they want to climb irrespective of other's payouts. At least, the only people I've ever seen "targeted" are those that climb inconsistently and at multiple times throughout the day.

Really, they're just a common courtesy to make life with GoH a bit easier.