Why is gear restricted by star level but not zetas?

Prev13
I posted this in my other thread but people really seem to want to ignore it. I have a g11 Sion that I cant add anymore gear until he is 6 star because it is restricted. I can understand this philosophy as it goes with progressing your character to make it better.

What I dont understand is how you can allow 3 star toons to be able to zeta their abilities. Yes it is an ability but its an ability buffed to the point that I would argue it compares to g10 or g11 hear. This goes against the very thing you have been preaching about paper zombie and other toons. That it goes against the progression of a toon.

There should be a star requirement on zetas just like there is on gear. Make it 5 stars seems a good place for me. It is beyond ridiculous that you will allow a 3 star toon to be able to have an ability zetaed but wont allow me to put more g11 pieces on my Sion because he isnt 6 stars.

Im sure your ignoring this because its coming up with bastila having a zeta at 3 stars much like I assume the new BH will also. You want marquees to seem awesome so people will spend to star them up after they use a zeta on bastila and realize how powerful it makes her toon. In no set of circumstances shoukd a 3 star character be able to beat a 7 star zeta but its happening. So now that the precedent is set can we expect this in the future. If so then lift the star requirements on gear since you have no problem giving an ultimate abilitly to a toon at 3 stars.

Replies

• Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    Because that would be a huge paywall in the current release structure to making toons viable.

A change like this would cause a huge divide and probably break the game.

Currently stars limit in game access, essentially limited usefulness, and that's it. Sure g12 is behind 7* but that's is almost nothing, g11 +4 is perfectly viable. All that can be done with a free toon, everything but raids and later phases of TB. This is a good balance.
  • Options
    I cannot even imagine the angry posts that would come from this. It would be a very player hostile decision and I’m not sure why you’d advocate for it.
  • Options
    Also there isn't a six star gear requirement. It's only gated at 7* isn't it?
  • scuba
    14049 posts Member
    Options
    zeta's were released way before G12.

Let's look at time line here
    Nov 2016 Zeta's were released
    Feb 2017 the start of the world of marquee event's (be it a good thing or a bad thing)
    At that point there was nothing tied to stars really

Many moons later we got a "release cadance" which shortened the time time between marquee and "f2p" farming.

Then some time after that we got the str with G12.

Before zeta you rarely saw a 3 or 4 star arena character

Problem is zeta not tied to star level has been in the game for over a year and half, if they changed that now it would just be bad bad bad.

Along came STR and G12 shortly followed by G12+ which gives +12 speed.

Now this part is speculation and as you will probably never get a dev full answer speculation is all we have...

Love it or hate it the P2P time advantage has been dropping.

Making 7* a requirement for G12 and thus G12+ is throwing the P2P a bone.

General statements here: I find it funny many of the people that ran Zaul with zeta 3 or 4 * DN and 3 or 4* SA complain about these other 3 and 4* characters in arena.
    The 3 and 4* arena viability really took off with DN (yes technically Chaze was released before DN and viable at 3/4 *)

TLDR; zeta's were released over a year and a half ago when nothing for character was tied to * level. To change it now would be bad bad bad.
  • Options
    Arena battles aren't 1 v 1. A leader ability boosting the strength of a team does not mean that a 3 star toon bested a 7 star toon.

I think the better question is "why is G12 gated behind 7*?" I'm sure they did a post on this somewhere, but I honestly can't think of a good gameplay justification.

You also have to consider the gameplay of newer players. Locking zetas behind a 7* requirement would mean they would be extremely limited on where they could place zetas. Not optimal for their ability to enjoy game modes like territory battles.
  • scuba
    14049 posts Member
    Options
    Rebel_yell wrote: »
    Arena battles aren't 1 v 1. A leader ability boosting the strength of a team does not mean that a 3 star toon bested a 7 star toon.

I think the better question is "why is G12 gated behind 7*?" I'm sure they did a post on this somewhere, but I honestly can't think of a good gameplay justification.

You also have to consider the gameplay of newer players. Locking zetas behind a 7* requirement would mean they would be extremely limited on where they could place zetas. Not optimal for their ability to enjoy game modes like territory battles.

Yup. I mean look at what sion zeta did to arena, yes ep/DV rework was part of it but without sion the team gets stomped easier. Many were running the 3* zeta sion. And then 5* zeta traya.
  • 3pourr2
    1927 posts Member
    Options
    Abilities =greater composition Gear = greater strength and damage
  • Options
    scuba wrote: »

Yup. I mean look at what sion zeta did to arena, yes ep/DV rework was part of it but without sion the team gets stomped easier. Many were running the 3* zeta sion. And then 5* zeta traya.

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying. EP teams, while strong on offense, are squishy as heck on defense, Sion zeta or not. Plus, a 3* Sion is super squishy. If someone is still running a 3* zSion with a 5* zzTraya... well, I'd just be super shocked.

Again, I'm probably missing the point you're trying to make here. Sion at 3* wasn't meta defining, EP/Vader rework was. Which is different from Bastilla being meta defining through her leadership ability. Jedi became relevant.
  • Options
    Kyno wrote: »
    Because that would be a huge paywall in the current release structure to making toons viable.

Currently stars limit in game access, essentially limited usefulness, and that's it. Sure g12 is behind 7* but that's is almost nothing, g11 +4 is perfectly viable. All that can be done with a free toon, everything but raids and later phases of TB. This is a good balance.
    Its not 7 stars its 6 stars for g11. I was allowed to put 2 pieces of gear on my sion and the rest is restricted until he is 6 stars. Im sorry but the fact you even bring up a paywall is laughable considering the number of marquees being sold atm. You put restrictions in some place in the name of "progression yet not in others. Lets just call it what it is you want people to zeta the toon to see how good she is in the hopes of enticing them to buy the shards to level her up. I mean if at 3 star she is that good at 7 she is a beast. I have already seen a full 7 star g12 zBastila in my arena.
  • Options

I didnt say locking them behind 7 stars I said I felt like 5 star was a good point to start at but certainly 3 stars.
  • Options
    Because some zetas are TRASH but the character is good so sometimes you want to have the character maxed but not do the zeta. Also because this makes 0 sense in any way shape or form.
  • Options

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying. EP teams, while strong on offense, are squishy as heck on defense, Sion zeta or not. Plus, a 3* Sion is super squishy. If someone is still running a 3* zSion with a 5* zzTraya... well, I'd just be super shocked.

Again, I'm probably missing the point you're trying to make here. Sion at 3* wasn't meta defining, EP/Vader rework was. Which is different from Bastilla being meta defining through her leadership ability. Jedi became relevant.

Upon reflection, I think we're actually in agreement.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    Warp3dM1nd wrote: »

Its not 7 stars its 6 stars for g11. I was allowed to put 2 pieces of gear on my sion and the rest is restricted until he is 6 stars. Im sorry but the fact you even bring up a paywall is laughable considering the number of marquees being sold atm. You put restrictions in some place in the name of "progression yet not in others. Lets just call it what it is you want people to zeta the toon to see how good she is in the hopes of enticing them to buy the shards to level her up. I mean if at 3 star she is that good at 7 she is a beast. I have already seen a full 7 star g12 zBastila in my arena.

So have I. If they lock zetas behind 7* and then only grant access to 7* for the first 4-6 weeks to people who $$. That is a pay wall. Currently there is no pay wall, any toon who is worth their salt in arena has been so at 3-4 stars, and allowing them to be zeta, is key to that and makes them viable for f2p. Sure they are better at 7 and that is an advantage that p2p get. It's a pretty fair system.
  • Warp3dM1nd
    149 posts Member
    edited August 2018
    Options

So have I. If they lock zetas behind 7* and then only grant access to 7* for the first 4-6 weeks to people who $$. That is a pay wall. Currently there is no pay wall, any toon who is worth their salt in arena has been so at 3-4 stars, and allowing them to be zeta, is key to that and makes them viable for f2p. Sure they are better at 7 and that is an advantage that p2p get. It's a pretty fair system.
    You must not be reading half of what I write because nowhere in any of my posts did I say zetas should be locked behind 7*. I said I felt like 5 star is a reasonable level of stars to have before you can unlock zeta abilities. The newest zetas hitting the toons are pretty much the equivalent of g11 gear. Look at how powerful they are. A 3 star toon should not be able to access it.

If it is ok for zetas to have no star restriction then why does gear have a star restriction? Riddle me that. Im guessing you wont be able to come up with a logical solution to as why gear has star restriction but not zeta abilities. Under your thinking I should freely be able to finish putting the g11 pieces on my Sion without being told I have to wait for 6 stars.
  • Options

You must not be reading half of what I write because nowhere in any of my posts did I say zaetas should be locked behind 7*. I said I felt like 5 star is a reasonable level of stars to have before you can unlock zera abilities. The newest zetas hitting the toons are pretty much the equivalent of g11 gear. Look at how powerful they are. A 3 star toon should not be able to access it.

If it is ok for zetas to have no star restriction then why doea gear have a star restriction? Riddle me that. Im guessing you wont be able to come up with a logical solution to as why gear gas star restriction but not zeta abilities. Under your thinking I should freely be able to finish putting the g11 pieces on my Sion without being told I habe to wait for 6 stars.

This six star thing you keep going on about, is it only on Sion? I've never seen gear gated at 6*, and my Sion is sat at gear VIII just now.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options

You must not be reading half of what I write because nowhere in any of my posts did I say zetas should be locked behind 7*. I said I felt like 5 star is a reasonable level of stars to have before you can unlock zeta abilities. The newest zetas hitting the toons are pretty much the equivalent of g11 gear. Look at how powerful they are. A 3 star toon should not be able to access it.

If it is ok for zetas to have no star restriction then why does gear have a star restriction? Riddle me that. Im guessing you wont be able to come up with a logical solution to as why gear has star restriction but not zeta abilities. Under your thinking I should freely be able to finish putting the g11 pieces on my Sion without being told I have to wait for 6 stars.

You are right I miss spoke, but you can literally replace 7 with 5 and what I'm saying is still 100 true. It's an unnecessary paywall and just overall a bad idea for the health of the game.
  • Naraic
    2243 posts Member
    Options
    @Warp3dM1nd the devs are trying to balance letting us play with a character and encouraging us to max the character.

Personally i think they have more or less done that at the moment.

If we remove the star gate on gear the only place stars would matter is raid access at the moment.

If we add a star gate on zetas then most marquee characters are pretty much worthless to f2p until they become farmable.

Imo theres a balabce to be found and the devs havent done a bad job so far.

If they chose to introduce a star gate on zetas there would be a bunch of **** off bastilla users in my shard which could be sort of funny.
  • Options

You must not be reading half of what I write because nowhere in any of my posts did I say zaetas should be locked behind 7*. I said I felt like 5 star is a reasonable level of stars to have before you can unlock zera abilities. The newest zetas hitting the toons are pretty much the equivalent of g11 gear. Look at how powerful they are. A 3 star toon should not be able to access it.

If it is ok for zetas to have no star restriction then why doea gear have a star restriction? Riddle me that. Im guessing you wont be able to come up with a logical solution to as why gear gas star restriction but not zeta abilities. Under your thinking I should freely be able to finish putting the g11 pieces on my Sion without being told I habe to wait for 6 stars.

This six star thing you keep going on about, is it only on Sion? I've never seen gear gated at 6*, and my Sion is sat at gear VIII just now.
    9jozf2w7tixv.png
    So no at the lower levels but yes at the higher.

• Options

9jozf2w7tixv.png

You realize it says seven star required right? Not six star like you have been claiming.
  • 3pourr2
    1927 posts Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Zeta mats will increase team cohesion, gear will increase health and damage. We don’t need 3 star toons doing 30 k damage. We do need 3 star toons abilities to make them functional and playable. Your op would lead to whales starting new accounts and having all gear 12 instantly. This will certainly lead to a bunch of complaints by new players that are ftp and cannot compete.
  • Options
    I posted this in my other thread but people really seem to want to ignore it.

There's a reason for this. And it's probably the kinder option to be honest.

• Options
    Your comparison to Paper Zombie is off as well. Paper zombie is putting as little into a character as possible. Putting a zeta on a character is progressing the character.

I think you would be hard pressed to find someone with a zeta on a 3 star character that wouldn’t want to increase the star level as fast as they can, unlike the Zombie where you can probably find a large number of people that wish they could remove gear from the character.
  • UdalCuain
    5011 posts Member
    edited August 2018
    Options

9jozf2w7tixv.png

Maybe I need to put my glasses on but I'm sure that says "seven stars" not "six stars". And i have plenty of toons at the "higher level" which is why I was asking for clarification. Turns out you were just spreading misinformation. Thanks for clearing that up.
  • Options
    Maybe because not all toons have zetas to put?
  • Hikari
    212 posts Member
    Options
    Gear is controlled by *'s and skills are controlled by level.
  • Warp3dM1nd
    149 posts Member
    edited August 2018
    Options

9jozf2w7tixv.png

You realize it says seven star required right? Not six star like you have been claiming.

You are right on my phone screen it looked to be six stars and now that makes it worse. 10 runs on the sion hard node not one shard dropped. Since people keep refuting the mutlitudes saying they are seeing worse drops with oh its been calculated at 30%. I did 3 seperate 10 runs on DN Sion and Baze got 2 shards. Out of the gear runs I received none of the gear I was farming for in 3 different 5 runs on hard nodes. I have started mapping the shard, gear drop, and ship shard drop. Not a single ship shard or gear I needed. Several in my alliance are doing the same to prove the drop rate on hard nodes is far below this 30% threshold now.
  • Options
    I’m not sure why this is a problem? If you have anyone of your characters with a zeta that does not have 7* then you are contradicting yourself. As @Kyno stated it’s for a balance of FTP vs PTP. If you gated a zeta behind 5-7* then it would be 3-5months before FTP would have a marquee character with any viability in arena where their zeta would be the diciding factor for them. No sion Bastila nest bossk and so on. It would kill the game and be a clear PTW game. The way it is now makes the most sense.
  • Options

9jozf2w7tixv.png

You are right on my phone screen it looked to be six stars and now that makes it worse. 10 runs on the sion hard node not one shard dropped. Since people keep refuting the mutlitudes saying they are seeing worse drops with oh its been calculated at 30%. I did 3 seperate 10 runs on DN Sion and Baze got 2 shards. Out of the gear runs I received none of the gear I was farming for in 3 different 5 runs on hard nodes. I have started mapping the shard, gear drop, and ship shard drop. Not a single ship shard or gear I needed. Several in my alliance are doing the same to prove the drop rate on hard nodes is far below this 30% threshold now.

By all means map your drops, let’s us know in a while what the aggregate totals are.