Star Wars vs Star Wars

Iceih_SWG
301 posts Member
edited August 2018
Which is your favorite MMO? Not just online game, I mean MMORPG with persistent world and characters.
I do not remember another MMO from Star Wars but I ll add other just in case.

Star Wars vs Star Wars 27 votes

Star Wars Galaxies
29%
BooIceih_SWGEnderGamer87CahhmaktHellsteeth30DuneSeaFarmerDinotankTromboneGames 8 votes
Star Wars The Old Republic
51%
DarthGazzaUnlimitedpowarDarthNekrosRavenclawsWhatelse73JailwatcherLetareusjackaldo20HilmalaDirtierPlatypusMookow23Jml727NewbiRIVER6 14 votes
Other (if any)
18%
MzeeSpartan549mcshantCommanderRacheonJohnLove11 5 votes

Replies

• When the original SWG came out I couldn't afford it, and by the time I could the new Sony version had taken over. So I'm sad to say I never got to play it although some of my friends were avid members and raved about all the great mechanics (social system seemed very unique and well thought out). Wish I could play the original.

So I'm left with voting for SWTOR, though honestly I value it more as a single player with occasional friends (the storylines are entertaining) than a MMO.
  • Star Wars Galaxies
    MKIceman wrote: »
    When the original SWG came out I couldn't afford it, and by the time I could the new Sony version had taken over. So I'm sad to say I never got to play it although some of my friends were avid members and raved about all the great mechanics (social system seemed very unique and well thought out). Wish I could play the original.

So I'm left with voting for SWTOR, though honestly I value it more as a single player with occasional friends (the storylines are entertaining) than a MMO.

Sad you could not try SWG, but for the game style you describe possible SWTOR is a better choice.
  • Star Wars Galaxies
    SWG by far. At least before NGE anyway.

SWTOR was from the ground up a flawed concept, tried to do too many things, run by asterisks of the silly variety, and the gameplay was already outdated by the time it finally came out, oh and one of the worst FTP models I've seen in an MMO.

They should have just made KOTOR 3 as the storylines featured are turned to garbage by the MMO bull plop going on.
    Hey, it's still better than MSF
  • Star Wars Galaxies
    @ mcshant which one?
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    Star Wars Galaxies
    Galaxies was better - it was its own thing.

SWTOR took the excellence of KTOR & KOTOR 2 and turned it into an mmo. Finishing the KOTOR trilogy with an MMO was a mistake - I hated it.

It lost the immersive feeling the other 2 games had - with SWTOR you could constantly see other players all running around like headless chickens.

Also to progress I needed to team up with people, I could find no one to team up with me (only when I pretend I was a female gamer did people feel they wanted to help me - but I wasn't gonna do that forever). In the end I couldn't progress in the game without help from other players - I have a busy life schedule and coul;dn't comit to times etc - the whole game was basically unplayable for me.

Being such a huge fan of KOTOR and KOTOR 2 (actually just replayed them on XBOne) I felt SWTOR was a terrible end, especially as KOTOR 2 ends on such a cliff hanger - SWOTOR 2 actually helps ruin the overall enjoyment of that game as well.

I like Galaxies, because I chose not to play it - and it didn't effect other games which I loved.
  • Star Wars Galaxies
    Boo wrote: »

For me it was my first mmo, and my first love as it were. The community was amazing, I truly hated logging out. The crafting has not been surpassed yet (colorwheel to choose item color while crafting.. mic drop). NO COMBAT CLASSES you could actually level, explore and not be attacked. Socializing was amazing. Image Designers to redesign the look of your character, weddings, housing, building cities, space battle that was NOT on rails. But all things end.. sadly.

• Star Wars Galaxies

For me it was my first mmo, and my first love as it were. The community was amazing, I truly hated logging out. The crafting has not been surpassed yet (colorwheel to choose item color while crafting.. mic drop). NO COMBAT CLASSES you could actually level, explore and not be attacked. Socializing was amazing. Image Designers to redesign the look of your character, weddings, housing, building cities, space battle that was NOT on rails. But all things end.. sadly.

There are emulators still running a pre-cu and a NGE (the good last version of the NGE not the junk we got in the first place).
  • Star Wars Galaxies

SWTOR took the excellence of KTOR & KOTOR 2 and turned it into an mmo. Finishing the KOTOR trilogy with an MMO was a mistake - I hated it.

It lost the immersive feeling the other 2 games had - with SWTOR you could constantly see other players all running around like headless chickens.

Also to progress I needed to team up with people, I could find no one to team up with me (only when I pretend I was a female gamer did people feel they wanted to help me - but I wasn't gonna do that forever). In the end I couldn't progress in the game without help from other players - I have a busy life schedule and coul;dn't comit to times etc - the whole game was basically unplayable for me.

Being such a huge fan of KOTOR and KOTOR 2 (actually just replayed them on XBOne) I felt SWTOR was a terrible end, especially as KOTOR 2 ends on such a cliff hanger - SWOTOR 2 actually helps ruin the overall enjoyment of that game as well.

I like Galaxies, because I chose not to play it - and it didn't effect other games which I loved.

KOTOR is one of very few games I played more than one time, but it does never felt as a MMO as single player for main quests and a online cooperative mode would have been awesome. Hopefully the game evolved a lot from the launch and become very good at somepoint, they even added a better space combat and housing.
  • Star Wars Galaxies
    Iceih_SWG wrote: »

KOTOR is one of very few games I played more than one time, but it does never felt as a MMO as single player for main quests and a online cooperative mode would have been awesome. Hopefully the game evolved a lot from the launch and become very good at somepoint, they even added a better space combat and housing.

Like Dragon Age: Origins, it's an MMO without all those annoying other players lol
  • Star Wars Galaxies
    Iceih_SWG wrote: »

Like Dragon Age: Origins, it's an MMO without all those annoying other players lol

haha, true, it is funny how in some MMO like SWTOR and TSW the other players "disturb" and in other games like SWG, AoC, STO, CO or most sandboxes the community is the key.
    I think it is all about the storyline, the other players doing the same thing you do and having tons of "the chosen one" ruins it.
  • That's exactly right about SWTOR, though I never feel like I can't progress without others. Sure there are raids but you don't have to do them, you can still do all your class story on your own, and the main story too.

But if we're talking good game design, nothing beats Guild Wars 1. 2 is almost as good
  • Other (if any)
    KOTOR. Although I wish they could've made the combat a bit better, I love the storyline.
  • Star Wars The Old Republic
    You can still play SWG on private servers. Just google SWG Emu, and a couple other options. I know of two that I created characters on. Fairly simple and decently sized communities. (SWG Emu has about 1000 characters online at any given time)