Why limit G12+ packs to 1 purchase each?

Prev1
It doesnt make sense. Selling the packs for real currency is targeting spenders. But wouldnt said spenders be willing to buy say 50 of those packs? Thus gaining an edge in Arena.

Surprising move by CG. Missing out on an opportunity to make some serious cash

Replies

  • Having too big of a gap between F2P & P2P destroys games. When it gets too big F2P players lose interest and move on. CG knows this and tries keeping the gap Not too big or too little.
  • jkray622
    1279 posts Member
    Don't forget about the "dolphins" who spend money periodically. They will be unlikely to buy 50 of this pack, but will be just as hurt as F2P if there were unlimited purchases - and they would take their money away too.

    I'm sure there were huge calculations done -- if the game would make more money from the whales but drive away the dolphins, they might do it anyway. However, there's also a maximum number of G12+ pieces that you can use...so that might also contribute.
  • kalidor
    1484 posts Member
    If the f2p quit the game in masses because they believe they dont have a shot at being good in arena, that will also kill the game, significantly impacting revenues.
    Ironically, f2p is making this game run just as much as p2w..

    Yep, it's a delicate ecosystem. F2P are the krill and whales are the, er, whales. If too many krill leave because it's become pointless then the whales have no one to prey on, and they lose interest in spending. Game then dies when the revenue dries up.
    xSWCr - Nov '15 shard - swgoh.gg kalidor-m
  • AndySCovell
    596 posts Member
    edited August 2018
    I think having each of the packs as one gear piece as an individual buy as well as the one for $24.99 would be good as it would encourage those who maybe don’t need the one piece but willing to buy another gear piece without buying the large pack for $64.99.

    The point in marketing after all is turning F2P into occasional buyers.

    But yeah, unlimited packs would destroy the game for sure.
  • Bane1492 wrote: »
    Probably because it would create too big of a gap between p2p and f2p. This way they get a little bit of an advantage but not a massive one.

    Not really. My entire arena team is now max gear and I still get sent back the same amount of spaces.

    G12+ is overrated. The only noticeable advantage is the extra speed.

    We are in a meta right now where speed isn’t really too relevant. It’s acrually pretty overrated. Hell, nothing really matters. Traya pretty much ruins everything. Nobody can kill anyone with all the healing, cleansing, and crit avoidance. It’s just annihilate their Nihilus before he annihilates yours, then hit auto while the turns run until your Nihilus annihilates everything else...
  • Bane1492 wrote: »
    Probably because it would create too big of a gap between p2p and f2p. This way they get a little bit of an advantage but not a massive one.

    Not really. My entire arena team is now max gear and I still get sent back the same amount of spaces.

    G12+ is overrated. The only noticeable advantage is the extra speed.

    That's great for you but if everyone around you had access to unlimited packs, you wouldn't just be sent back the same amount you would be pushed way back and would have a lot harder time to climb back.
    Also think of the whales in the younger shards. They would still be in first place but it would be impossible for anyone to touch them.
  • Bane1492 wrote: »
    Probably because it would create too big of a gap between p2p and f2p. This way they get a little bit of an advantage but not a massive one.

    Not really. My entire arena team is now max gear and I still get sent back the same amount of spaces.

    G12+ is overrated. The only noticeable advantage is the extra speed.

    That's great for you but if everyone around you had access to unlimited packs, you wouldn't just be sent back the same amount you would be pushed way back and would have a lot harder time to climb back.
    Also think of the whales in the younger shards. They would still be in first place but it would be impossible for anyone to touch them.

    Younger shards, yes. Older shards it wouldn’t matter if you gave them 100 G12+ pieces. You only get to use 10 on an arena team, and older players are getting close to filling those already.
  • Bane1492 wrote: »
    Probably because it would create too big of a gap between p2p and f2p. This way they get a little bit of an advantage but not a massive one.

    Not really. My entire arena team is now max gear and I still get sent back the same amount of spaces.

    G12+ is overrated. The only noticeable advantage is the extra speed.

    That's great for you but if everyone around you had access to unlimited packs, you wouldn't just be sent back the same amount you would be pushed way back and would have a lot harder time to climb back.
    Also think of the whales in the younger shards. They would still be in first place but it would be impossible for anyone to touch them.

    Younger shards, yes. Older shards it wouldn’t matter if you gave them 100 G12+ pieces. You only get to use 10 on an arena team, and older players are getting close to filling those already.

    Not everything is about old shards. You have to think about every aspect. I'm sure it would still have an effect on old shards if you flooded them with 12+.
    There are also people that don't have 12+ due to not being in HSTR guilds.
  • It doesnt make sense.

    It makes complete sense if you take into consideration ecosystems and economics. Money is ultimately just paper. At least that will keep u warm for a few hours. Coins are completely useless except as flat head screw drivers.
  • Bane1492 wrote: »
    Probably because it would create too big of a gap between p2p and f2p. This way they get a little bit of an advantage but not a massive one.

    Not really. My entire arena team is now max gear and I still get sent back the same amount of spaces.

    G12+ is overrated. The only noticeable advantage is the extra speed.

    That's great for you but if everyone around you had access to unlimited packs, you wouldn't just be sent back the same amount you would be pushed way back and would have a lot harder time to climb back.
    Also think of the whales in the younger shards. They would still be in first place but it would be impossible for anyone to touch them.

    Younger shards, yes. Older shards it wouldn’t matter if you gave them 100 G12+ pieces. You only get to use 10 on an arena team, and older players are getting close to filling those already.

    Not everything is about old shards. You have to think about every aspect. I'm sure it would still have an effect on old shards if you flooded them with 12+.
    There are also people that don't have 12+ due to not being in HSTR guilds.

    Ok? I never said everything was about older shards. I actually specifically said I agreed with you on younger shards. I refuted your point that the person you replied to, who clearly is an older player, would be knocked further down if others could buy more G12 gear. The G12 gear doesn’t make much of an impact in the current arena meta.
  • Ultra
    2552 posts Member
    I think its to prevent abuse
    Bane1492 wrote: »
    Probably because it would create too big of a gap between p2p and f2p. This way they get a little bit of an advantage but not a massive one.

    Not really. My entire arena team is now max gear and I still get sent back the same amount of spaces.

    G12+ is overrated. The only noticeable advantage is the extra speed.

    We are in a meta right now where speed isn’t really too relevant. It’s acrually pretty overrated. Hell, nothing really matters. Traya pretty much ruins everything. Nobody can kill anyone with all the healing, cleansing, and crit avoidance. It’s just annihilate their Nihilus before he annihilates yours, then hit auto while the turns run until your Nihilus annihilates everything else...
    Honestly I don't think Traya is the issue. Its Darth Nihilus that is game breaking. I've tried running Traya in non-sith composition and she's lackluster on her own. Even in a Sith team she's only good if you are running Nihilus. I'm just disappointed she cannot fit in other team comps like Kenobi can (or Han Solo for that matter).
  • Bane1492
    121 posts Member
    edited August 2018
    Bane1492 wrote: »
    Probably because it would create too big of a gap between p2p and f2p. This way they get a little bit of an advantage but not a massive one.

    Not really. My entire arena team is now max gear and I still get sent back the same amount of spaces.

    G12+ is overrated. The only noticeable advantage is the extra speed.

    That's great for you but if everyone around you had access to unlimited packs, you wouldn't just be sent back the same amount you would be pushed way back and would have a lot harder time to climb back.
    Also think of the whales in the younger shards. They would still be in first place but it would be impossible for anyone to touch them.

    If the teams around me become maxed, we just end up right back at point A before anyone had G12+. It all balances out and comes down to who has the best mods/rng. That aspect hasn't really changed. Not that I've noticed. 100 extra offense on Sion for example honestly doesn't translate to much more damage at all. There's a guy with a 4000 physical damage Sion on my shard and he's no harder to beat than a 3500 pd Sion for me.

    For G12+ to really matter, the stat changes would have to be drastically higher than what they are. Like +1000 physical damage. EA/CG seems to think these small jumps in stats are a big deal and are charging way too much for it.


  • Ok? I never said everything was about older shards. I actually specifically said I agreed with you on younger shards. I refuted your point that the person you replied to, who clearly is an older player, would be knocked further down if others could buy more G12 gear. The G12 gear doesn’t make much of an impact in the current arena meta.

    Then i apologize. There could be someone that if they had access to g12+ they would be able to break past them and knock them down. They could have better mods but since the people ahead of them have the +12 they can't break through.
  • Ultra wrote: »
    I think its to prevent abuse
    Bane1492 wrote: »
    Probably because it would create too big of a gap between p2p and f2p. This way they get a little bit of an advantage but not a massive one.

    Not really. My entire arena team is now max gear and I still get sent back the same amount of spaces.

    G12+ is overrated. The only noticeable advantage is the extra speed.

    We are in a meta right now where speed isn’t really too relevant. It’s acrually pretty overrated. Hell, nothing really matters. Traya pretty much ruins everything. Nobody can kill anyone with all the healing, cleansing, and crit avoidance. It’s just annihilate their Nihilus before he annihilates yours, then hit auto while the turns run until your Nihilus annihilates everything else...
    Honestly I don't think Traya is the issue. Its Darth Nihilus that is game breaking. I've tried running Traya in non-sith composition and she's lackluster on her own. Even in a Sith team she's only good if you are running Nihilus. I'm just disappointed she cannot fit in other team comps like Kenobi can (or Han Solo for that matter).

    Well. It’s basically the combo. Nihilus wasn’t that bad when you could ability block him, stun him, burn him down quickly, etc. Now thanks to Traya he can’t be really be controlled, unless you also have Traya which defeats the point. And he gains health so quickly, and is paired with 2 passive taunts, it’s very hard to burn him down. So you’ve got Traya provided tons of defense and control to be the perfect partner to Nihilus.
  • Bane1492 wrote: »
    Probably because it would create too big of a gap between p2p and f2p. This way they get a little bit of an advantage but not a massive one.

    Not really. My entire arena team is now max gear and I still get sent back the same amount of spaces.

    G12+ is overrated. The only noticeable advantage is the extra speed.

    We are in a meta right now where speed isn’t really too relevant. It’s acrually pretty overrated. Hell, nothing really matters. Traya pretty much ruins everything. Nobody can kill anyone with all the healing, cleansing, and crit avoidance. It’s just annihilate their Nihilus before he annihilates yours, then hit auto while the turns run until your Nihilus annihilates everything else...

    Thank you! This G12+ is way overrated. EP lead...run Bastila. Bastila lead...run Traya. Traya lead..run EP.
  • Bane1492 wrote: »
    Probably because it would create too big of a gap between p2p and f2p. This way they get a little bit of an advantage but not a massive one.

    Not really. My entire arena team is now max gear and I still get sent back the same amount of spaces.

    G12+ is overrated. The only noticeable advantage is the extra speed.

    This is EXACTLY what I've noticed today as well.
  • Bane1492 wrote: »
    Probably because it would create too big of a gap between p2p and f2p. This way they get a little bit of an advantage but not a massive one.

    Not really. My entire arena team is now max gear and I still get sent back the same amount of spaces.

    G12+ is overrated. The only noticeable advantage is the extra speed.

    That's great for you but if everyone around you had access to unlimited packs, you wouldn't just be sent back the same amount you would be pushed way back and would have a lot harder time to climb back.
    Also think of the whales in the younger shards. They would still be in first place but it would be impossible for anyone to touch them.

    This isn't true. I'm in a March 18 shard and the whales(some are my guildies) that bought these still got beaten by teams without. One got bumped lower than I've ever seen before. There is no such thing as an unbeatable team, like not even close.
  • I used to play Mafia games and 100% of the games failed due to booster shots. The gaps between players got so far people would just quit. The next week a new game would appear and the cycle would start all over.

    Free players keep the paying players entertained. Without free players there would be no real competition and the feeling of overcoming goals. EA is actually doing a pretty good job so far with balance.
  • It’s just funny to hear all the players with maxed out g12+ arena squads trying to tell everyone else, especially those that have none yet that it’s overrated. Would be like telling a starving person the lobster you just ate was overrated. So you are disappointed you are not able to just sit in 1st all day long, that doesn’t make it overrated.
  • to be fair, lobster is totally overrated.

    The reason for restricting G12+ purchases isn't just for the gap in arena, but also in raids. They don't want people to be able to G12+ out their HSTR teams and start earning Traya shards for guilds that can't achieve on their own... yet.
  • RedTwo wrote: »
    It’s just funny to hear all the players with maxed out g12+ arena squads trying to tell everyone else, especially those that have none yet that it’s overrated. Would be like telling a starving person the lobster you just ate was overrated. So you are disappointed you are not able to just sit in 1st all day long, that doesn’t make it overrated.

    It shouldn't be funny because it's a 100% accurate statement. They are overrated for arena. Raids that's different but for the PVP content, definitely true. I beat up people with g12+ and I don't have a single piece. :)
  • RedTwo wrote: »
    It’s just funny to hear all the players with maxed out g12+ arena squads trying to tell everyone else, especially those that have none yet that it’s overrated. Would be like telling a starving person the lobster you just ate was overrated. So you are disappointed you are not able to just sit in 1st all day long, that doesn’t make it overrated.

    It shouldn't be funny because it's a 100% accurate statement. They are overrated for arena. Raids that's different but for the PVP content, definitely true. I beat up people with g12+ and I don't have a single piece. :)

    are you facing a mirror team to yours or are you using a counter team? mirror team = same 5 v 5

  • This isn't true. I'm in a March 18 shard and the whales(some are my guildies) that bought these still got beaten by teams without. One got bumped lower than I've ever seen before. There is no such thing as an unbeatable team, like not even close.

    Then they must not have mods on their teams or has a horrible team comp. I wasn't saying there is an unbeatable team. I'm just saying if everyone is still at gear 10 while the whales have g12+ then that shouldn't be a close fight.
  • evoluza
    1637 posts Member

    This isn't true. I'm in a March 18 shard and the whales(some are my guildies) that bought these still got beaten by teams without. One got bumped lower than I've ever seen before. There is no such thing as an unbeatable team, like not even close.

    Then they must not have mods on their teams or has a horrible team comp. I wasn't saying there is an unbeatable team. I'm just saying if everyone is still at gear 10 while the whales have g12+ then that shouldn't be a close fight.

    We call this younger shards. That's why you see words like "younger shards" and "older shards" in all posts.
  • evoluza wrote: »

    We call this younger shards. That's why you see words like "younger shards" and "older shards" in all posts.

    what are you talking about? I'm fully aware of difference. Look at my previous comments...
  • evoluza wrote: »

    We call this younger shards. That's why you see words like "younger shards" and "older shards" in all posts.

    what are you talking about? I'm fully aware of difference. Look at my previous comments...

    What he's talking about is the gear gap u just mentioned. If everyone is at g10 except for some whales, u are definitely in a younger shard. In an older shard u will see at least 4 gold toons per squad u face, and the non-gold toon is almost definitely bastilla/traya/enfys

  • What he's talking about is the gear gap u just mentioned. If everyone is at g10 except for some whales, u are definitely in a younger shard. In an older shard u will see at least 4 gold toons per squad u face, and the non-gold toon is almost definitely bastilla/traya/enfys

    I mentioned young shards earlier and the person that responded to me, said they were in a March 2018 shard. Clearly the person before you didn't read my previous comments.

    I'm quite aware of what an old shard is. I'm in a Feb 2016 one.
Sign In or Register to comment.