A topic that must be talked about [fleet arena]

It's been a while since fleet 2.0 kicked in and there was alot of advertising about certain reworks. Geonosians were talked about, we even got an event where we got to use geonosian ships. Game changers came out with videos talking about new squads, different capitals being viable again and stuff like that. So much was over hyped but a few of us saw straight through this and we called it out: the Chimaera meta wasn't going to go away. The ties would still dominate and all the hype about geonosians and other capital ships was nothing serious.

Months later I still find my shard to be dominated by Chimaeras. My entire top 15 is identical! Chimaera, Biggs, Tie fighter, Tie advance as starting lineup and for reinforcements, still scimitar, Slave 1 and for the last two slots you may see reapers or some millennium falcons and silencers. Diversity is out of the window, it's in fact even less diverse than before because we all use the same squad!

I thought giving it time and maybe I'd see some different squads pop into the mix but nothing yet, months later and nobody is using a capital other and Chimaera and geonosians aren't a thing. My shard has a few whales in it, they wouldn't have a problem using other squads cause money isn't the issue for them, they still use the lineup I mentioned above!

Yes I know new capital ships could change all of that, possible grievous rework may in fact bring geonosians or rebels, but so far we have nothing, not even a date for when that may happen. It almost feels to me like it was all done to induce panic so whales over spend to gear geonosians and but the new ship materials only to find out that they didn't really have to do anything and they would be just fine, and that kind of bothers me.

Any thoughts on the issue?

Replies

• Dk_rek
    3299 posts Member
    Maybe AI is better on D with chimera... thrawn is like the worst commander now except for mace... i actually target chimeras because no ability block or extra protection to deal with
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    not sure how old your shard is, but my shard has a really good mix and seeing a fair amount of diversity.
  • In my shard 12 people are not running Thrawn at all in the top 50 and in the top 15 3 more thrawn users are not running Vader Tie Biggs.
  • swgohfan29 wrote: »
    In my shard 12 people are not running Thrawn at all in the top 50 and in the top 15 3 more thrawn users are not running Vader Tie Biggs.

12/50 proves my point
  • Kyno wrote: »
    not sure how old your shard is, but my shard has a really good mix and seeing a fair amount of diversity.

My shard is 2 years old, we have a few whales in it and people with well over 3 million GPs, I'm sure they don't pick this lineup because they can't build something else
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    edited August 2018
    swgohfan29 wrote: »
    In my shard 12 people are not running Thrawn at all in the top 50 and in the top 15 3 more thrawn users are not running Vader Tie Biggs.

12/50 proves my point

That's almost 50% diversity. Doesnt that disprove your point?

I should not try to math in the morning
    Post edited by Kyno on

12/50 proves my point

Especially considering ships 1.0 the top 50 was ALL Chimera.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    edited August 2018
    My shard is 26 tarkin and 4 AA.

Of those tarkin 15 run bugs
    1 runs Phoenix,biggs

1 AA also running Phoenix,biggs
    The rest bugs

Of the chimera 6 run bugs

2 diff combos with kru.

This is the most diversity I have seen in ships. This may not be everyone's experience, but it is out there and it is happening

12/50 proves my point

24% is almost 50% diversity? My 2+ year old shard still has 45/50 chimaera biggs, tie advance and fo tie/tie fighter
  • keep in mind, thats 24% not using the same capital ship as anyone else, not 24% not using Chimera Vader Biggs Tie. I know last i checked that there at least 3 more in the top 15 Not using CVBT and another 1 (myself) in the top 50 not using CVBT and i still havent checked 70% of the population outside of capital ship.
  • UnbelieverInME
    451 posts Member
    edited August 2018
    Sounds like you should invest in Geos, add Tarkin, and laugh. Why the problem?

Too many people are still stuck in the mindset that Thawn's Cap ship must be better, since it's so hard to get both Thrawn and Chimera. It SHOULD be better... but it's just not.
    This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken..” -Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever

12/50 proves my point

12 non Chimaeras in a top 50 is 50%?
  • Sounds like you should invest in Geos, add Tarkin, and laugh. Why the problem?

Too many people are still stuck in the mindset that Thawn's Cap ship must be better, since it's so hard to get both Thrawn and Chimera. It SHOULD be better... but it's just not.

I think you inadvertently hit on the crux of the problem. The lack of diversity in Ship Arena isn't driven by 1 ship being better or worse than others. It's that people 1) already invested in thrawn, biggs, vader, TFP for meta 1.0 so they're going to try to use them in 2.0 because they're already geared. 2) the ships that are now viable are flown by characters that don't really have much of a use outside of ships. Ships 2.0 being released during the big ramp for people to get HSTR ready created a resource constraint where most people prioritized HSTR toons. So the diversity is being driven only by the strongest or wealthiest.

That said, diversity is way better than during 1.0 and it will only continue to diversify as people are able to focus on ship toons versus raid toons.
  • Rebel_yell wrote: »

I think you inadvertently hit on the crux of the problem. The lack of diversity in Ship Arena isn't driven by 1 ship being better or worse than others. It's that people 1) already invested in thrawn, biggs, vader, TFP for meta 1.0 so they're going to try to use them in 2.0 because they're already geared. 2) the ships that are now viable are flown by characters that don't really have much of a use outside of ships. Ships 2.0 being released during the big ramp for people to get HSTR ready created a resource constraint where most people prioritized HSTR toons. So the diversity is being driven only by the strongest or wealthiest.

That said, diversity is way better than during 1.0 and it will only continue to diversify as people are able to focus on ship toons versus raid toons.

Bruh my guild leader is a launch player and a whale he has g12 geonosians and all ships maxed he still uses Thrawn, trust me, that's not it
  • Rebel_yell wrote: »

Bruh my guild leader is a launch player and a whale he has g12 geonosians and all ships maxed he still uses Thrawn, trust me, that's not it

does he use geo's with thrawn? They've been proven to be more effective with Tarkin or AA. I use Tarkin with TFP, Biggs, and Tie Silencer and specifically target thrawn teams because my first 2 reserves are Phantom and Tie Adv. You don't need chimera to be successful.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Kyno wrote: »

12/50 proves my point

24% is almost 50% diversity? My 2+ year old shard still has 45/50 chimaera biggs, tie advance and fo tie/tie fighter

Dont mind me, that was early before coffee.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Rebel_yell wrote: »

This.

The devs didnt give us a new meta, they gave us options. More ships and not just 1 capital ship are viable. That's doesnt mean they need to rule, or that the whale on your shard needs to run them, it means people can choose to build a different team to play how they want.
  • Dk_rek
    3299 posts Member

This.

The devs didnt give us a new meta, they gave us options. More ships and not just 1 capital ship are viable. That's doesnt mean they need to rule, or that the whale on your shard needs to run them, it means people can choose to build a different team to play how they want.

So obviously you have seen hounds tooths kit by now...... Care to revise everything you just said....

Woo let's make genoshans meta for a week by the time everyone wastes everything farming and gearing them.... now they are worthless....super worthless infact except spy as a reinforce....

How do they release a ship that can basically be immortal with autotaunt... Ways to beat it....Thrawn....

So back to your post...now for probably 10 months plust only thrawn will be the only ships used because the WHALES will all have him maxxed and prob only thrawns special can kill him.......

What in gods name are they thinking with this
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Dk_rek wrote: »

This.

So obviously you have seen hounds tooths kit by now...... Care to revise everything you just said....

Woo let's make genoshans meta for a week by the time everyone wastes everything farming and gearing them.... now they are worthless....super worthless infact except spy as a reinforce....

How do they release a ship that can basically be immortal with autotaunt... Ways to beat it....Thrawn....

So back to your post...now for probably 10 months plust only thrawn will be the only ships used because the WHALES will all have him maxxed and prob only thrawns special can kill him.......

obviously things change, but i stand by my statement. just another tool for the job. he may become a high usage ship but not going to make a single team take over, we will still have diversity.
  • Dk_rek wrote: »

This.

You certainly don't have to be a whale to have Thrawn's ship tho
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator

This.

or the new ship, or its pilot...
  • Dk_rek
    3299 posts Member

This.

No since everyone will be using him again just when he was falling into 3rd now you will have 0
    Choice.... the choice kyno was praising (me to for that matter) but whatever maybe if we had a ship that hit through protection.... well one that did actual damage..