Dark vs Light Side

How come there are only 68 dark side characters vs 91 light side characters? Shouldn't it be a little more balanced? I mean if we look at the most recent character releases, we've gotten nearly all of the protagonist characters from recent movies and even KOTOR, and not a single antagonist...What's up with that?

Replies

• Beaks
    73 posts Member
    I said the same thing months ago!
    We need more sith options, more droids ( always wanted to do a EP1-3 droid army, I can't! )
    Mandalorian squad option, more Tuskens.

Rebels are pure power, sith need to start acting like it.

I'm a dark side fan but can't do a basic droid army or even a gungan squad? ( figured gungan squad for sure by now. )

But yeah with you 1,000%!

Also people wonder why dark side hoth battles are harder, less toons to work with and by phase 3-4 add in newer toons that you can't use in platoons due to having to buy them. ( * them )
    Light side isn't any better with it as well.
  • Star Wars focuses on heroes more than on villains. There are more usable and prominent light side characters than dark side.

You say not a single antagonist from KotOR, but KotOR 1 and 2 are pretty much a composite work. Looking at one without the other is rather splitting hairs. Saying we don't have a single antagonist from KotOR 1 is basically saying we don't have Darth Malak. But of the four principal antagonists of KotOR 1 and 2, Malak is the least iconic or interesting. And aside from being the only prominent villain to pull, the Sith really don't need more love right now, leaving Malak out of the anniversary celebration..

Meanwhile, crew members who haven't been added are Carth, Canderous, Juhani, Atton, Bao-Durr, Mical, Mira, Hanharr, Brianna, and G0-T0. Crew members not added to the game yet outnumber notable antagonists ten to one. And as these are Bioware RPGs, the game is mostly about going on dates with the bundles of trauma and neuroses you call a crew. Every character on that list is more prominent and developed than any antagonist. Yes, I'm aware two or three people on that list would probably be dark side. Still, the key antagonists are at 75% representation off of three characters, while the protagonists aren't even at 50%.

The rest of the dark side options from KotOR are B list, satellite or one-shot/arc villains, and at that point, you'd be drawing villains to a standard that would get Cham Syndulla into the game. Also, those villains like Darth Bandon or Carth's teacher dude are way less notable and therefore less likely to turn a buck.

For the Solo release, yes, Dryden Vos wasn't released, but neither were Beckett, Val, or Rio.

There are just so many more heroes to choose from than villains, because Star Wars is about the heroes.
    Still not a he.
  • Also, adding on to Yae, the dark side characters are the current meta and have remained that way for months now. It is unlikely that they will add new characters (which, as it stands, need to be more powerful than previous characters for them to be interesting enough to get people to buy) to the dark side with the meta being as one sided as it is.
  • I absolutely agree about the KOTOR story and the antagonists in it not necessarily being big enough to warrant an anniversary release. I was just using that as an example though, along with the two recent movies.

I also agree that Sith are already pretty solid, but just because they are solid doesn't mean more can't be added. A character doesn't have to be game or meta changing, nor does it have to be 100% unique. I mean look at the jedi characters we have in game, 3-4 of them have extremely similar kits and most jedi kits are fairly underwhelming in general. Also, just because one faction happens to already be really strong doesn't mean that it should be ignored when releasing new characters. Jedi could easily be buffed to be on par to sith if the developers went back and reworked some of the existing jedi characters, like they did with grandmaster Yoda. Reworking older characters and other content is part of running a game, especially when new characters are released in limited numbers and aren't easily obtainable.

Additionally, I think that one of the biggest issues with this game is that most new characters have to have some kind of wow factor and be game/meta changing in order to get people to spend money. And that's fine and all, but it's not the only way to draw people in or get them to spend money. Everyone wants strong characters, but alot of people also want characters for the sake of nostalgia and some people just like to collect characters. They could easily make some decent characters that are viable for different faction/team synergy that are not overwhelmingly game/meta changing, but that are fan favorites and still make a profit. There are plenty of star wars characters that could be released that have this nostalgia factor, both from canon and extended universe (both are fair game since KOTOR characters are already in game and are from the Legenda/Extended Universe). I just think that with all that they have to work with, that we'd have a little more of a balance between dark and light side characters at this point.
This discussion has been closed.