Who liked The Last Jedi?

Prev13
Boo
4134 posts Member
I want to make it clear that this is a poll only thread - I do not want or expect anyone to get into why they liked or did not like The Last Jedi.

I certainly do not want to see any comments re: political agendas or any shilling - I want to see a clear pole as to how many people on this forum are for or against TLJ - just curious.

Again - no one has to back up their pole decision with any kind of explanation - just a simple like or dislike.

Thanks!

Who liked The Last Jedi? 78 votes

The Last Jedi is GOOD
50%
Syth_HunterStarSonSaralebSnake2andreacesa00photonosMr_SausageRebel_yellCarbonarijhbuchholzMischen1Cindaveswgohfan29GifafiPlooshBistan_LoverSpartan549KyJoe_CoolUdalCuainAcoylteJPeg 39 votes
The Last Jedi is BAD
50%
KrokovichBoba_The_FetterZombie961BooEventineElessedilCaptainRexjedikilla84TeagueGeorgemi6Chucko_marekIceih_SWGFranimusCombatCommander7Cahhmaktt0neg0dFunderboltsEnerdrizerAleSahnDroh_1979monkeybuddhaForeverWest76 39 votes

Replies

• The Last Jedi is BAD
    Clear pole:
    maxresdefault.jpg

Went in open-minded, left feeling confused. Enjoyed parts, visuals were good, result was unsatisfying.
  • Where's the "yet to watch it" option?
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    The Last Jedi is BAD
    Where's the "yet to watch it" option?

Lol - only those who have seen it can comment.

I boycotted Solo, I've heard it was actually an enjoyable film. I have heard other accounts where people were upset by several things - but ultimately I cannot say whether it was good or not - I haven't seen it...yet.
  • The Last Jedi is GOOD
    I like the movie, hate the attitudes from both studio and fans concerning faults and or flaws. Of which there are many, but strip it down to the core story and it is good.
  • The Last Jedi is BAD
    Boo wrote: »
    Where's the "yet to watch it" option?

Lol - only those who have seen it can comment.

I boycotted Solo, I've heard it was actually an enjoyable film. I have heard other accounts where people were upset by several things - but ultimately I cannot say whether it was good or not - I haven't seen it...yet.

I never really understood that... boycotting solo I mean. It deserved more praise than it gets, it’s almost as good as rogue one and outclasses 7 and 8. I guess it’s good that Disney realized their mistakes after that, but then we’re still getting junk like Star Wars resistance so who knows what going on.
    Now about TLJ... the only scenes that I even cared a little about were the praetorian guard fight scene and luke Vs. Kylo at the end. But both of those scenes left a bad taste in my mouth because
    Those scenes saw smoke and like die. Both were interesting characters that really deserved more screen time. Same with phasma and ackbar. But that’s the big problem with this movie; so much wasted potential and build up throw away on 1 off jokes and some sort of edgy kid vibe, the kind where there’s something plainly obvious but it’s rejected just to be different.
    Also, the alien designs are trash (they all either look like holiday special junk, rejected prequel designs, or weird humanoids that just look kind of like monkeys. Additionally, the lightsaber choreography is painfully bad at times (just go on YouTube and search something along the lines of “TLJ fight scene flaws” and you’ll see). The space battles are ultimately boring and uneventful, and the first order is once again portrayed as incompetent and foolish. I don’t even want to begin to talk about the political undertows. Yuck. Lastly, the characters are inconsistent with the TFA counter parts, and ultimately develop very little across the course of the film.

I could go on, but that’s the main things. To be fair, it’s not entirely terrible. It’s a decent movie, just not a good Star Wars movie.
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    The Last Jedi is BAD
    So far, this poll is pretty 50/50.

in that regard, I think Rian Johnson did a good job, as per his idea of a perfect movie in the video below:

• FREEDOMfrom
    474 posts Member
    edited August 2018
    The Last Jedi is GOOD
    I mean...in terms of all the star wars movies, its not great. Probably bad. Do I wish they would have done things differently? Yes. Maybe less humor in places. Luke acting differently a tad. No Leia force flight thing...etc.

But as an overall movie, I thought it was mainly good and entertaining.

(i'm not over 30, but i'm almost 30 haha)
  • The Last Jedi is GOOD

in that regard, I think Rian Johnson did a good job, as per his idea of a perfect movie in the video below:

Man, you've really made it your life's mission to disparage TLJ as often as possible. You need a different hobby.
  • The Last Jedi is GOOD
    50% approval is awful. We are all star wars fans so its natural to like anything related to it yet half of us hate TLJ.

Also its probably 99% of people over 30 who hate it.
    No one hates Star Wars like Star Wars fans. This has been a tagline for decades.

I'm over 30. I love TLJ. My parents are over 30, and were part of the original Star Wars Star Wars craze back in the seventies. They like it.

And your nonsense assertion is built on ageism and gatekeeping, a presumption that the vulnerable outgroup of people younger than you are without taste or proper appreciation of the property, and therefore their opinions should be thrown out in favor of your own and they are unworthy of being considered true fans.

Stop that. It's rubbish.
    Still not a he.
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    The Last Jedi is BAD
    YaeVizsla wrote: »
    50% approval is awful. We are all star wars fans so its natural to like anything related to it yet half of us hate TLJ.

No one hates Star Wars like Star Wars fans. This has been a tagline for decades.

I'm over 30. I love TLJ. My parents are over 30, and were part of the original Star Wars Star Wars craze back in the seventies. They like it.

And your nonsense assertion is built on ageism and gatekeeping, a presumption that the vulnerable outgroup of people younger than you are without taste or proper appreciation of the property, and therefore their opinions should be thrown out in favor of your own and they are unworthy of being considered true fans.

Stop that. It's rubbish.

I think he was stating that a good majority of tose over 30, typically enjoy the OT, and there is a good amount of those people who disliked TLJ - I think any sweeping statement can not be accurate (including this) - however across social media and other reviews etc, this statement is partially true in that those who did not like TLJ are generally the older fans.

I certainly do not think he is stating at all that other opinions are thrown out in favour of other people's opinions - that is also an untrue and sweeping statement.

To be honest I belonged to social media groups, where some groups hated TLJ and others that loved TLJ.

I found that the groups who hated TLJ were much more open to the views of others who liked it, if they were able to back up their opinions with some credible information.

I also found the groups who loved TLJ were completely intolerant of the opinions of others who disliked TLJ - despite those persons also backing up why they disliked it. I found the pro TLJ groups very toxic indeed.

Again, I am not saying all groups, only the ones I have encountered. But it was interesting to see.
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    The Last Jedi is BAD
    I mean...in terms of all the star wars movies, its not great. Probably bad. Do I wish they would have done things differently? Yes. Maybe less humor in places. Luke acting differently a tad. No Leia force flight thing...etc.

That's a shame, then you have answered the poll incorrectly. In terms of a Star Wars movie you have stated it is not good. That was the answer to the poll.

If no one has seen Star Wars before they have a much better chance stating that it was a very good and entertaining movie (again, I am not saying there are not star wars fans who actually liked it), but as far as a star wars movie goes - it was bad in my opinion and obviously yours as well.
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    The Last Jedi is BAD

I totally get what you are saying.

There are those star wars fans who hated the PT. Even today there are fans quick to state why they disliked the PT.

However, no star wars movie has ever fractured the fanbase in such a way as TLJ has done - usually any star wars movie is good enough to get a "pass" from the fans - despite the fans being labelled as "No one hates Star Wars like Star Wars fans" - but for TLJ to have affected the franchise the way it has is extremely shocking.
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    edited August 2018
    The Last Jedi is BAD

Of note there is a new video/interview of Rian Johnson (pre-TLJ) where he clearly admits to being a "Lazy Writer" and that he "Steals ideas from others".

I wont post the video here (due to language content), but it is easy to find on Youtube.

Again this is shocking to me that, when combined with the video I have already posted above, why was he ever approached to direct a movie in a $4B+ franchise movie. Very shocking.
  • The Last Jedi is GOOD

That's a shame, then you have answered the poll incorrectly. In terms of a Star Wars movie you have stated it is not good. That was the answer to the poll.

Not trying to not pick here but the question to the poll was simply “who liked the last Jedi”? Not who liked it in regards to other Star Wars movies. His last line stated that as an overall movie, it was mainly good and entertaining. The poll was not answered incorrectly.
  • The Last Jedi is GOOD

Stop that. It's rubbish.

I think he was stating that a good majority of tose over 30, typically enjoy the OT, and there is a good amount of those people who disliked TLJ - I think any sweeping statement can not be accurate (including this) - however across social media and other reviews etc, this statement is partially true in that those who did not like TLJ are generally the older fans.

I certainly do not think he is stating at all that other opinions are thrown out in favour of other people's opinions - that is also an untrue and sweeping statement.

To be honest I belonged to social media groups, where some groups hated TLJ and others that loved TLJ.

I found that the groups who hated TLJ were much more open to the views of others who liked it, if they were able to back up their opinions with some credible information.

I also found the groups who loved TLJ were completely intolerant of the opinions of others who disliked TLJ - despite those persons also backing up why they disliked it. I found the pro TLJ groups very toxic indeed.

Again, I am not saying all groups, only the ones I have encountered. But it was interesting to see.

You write like a dailystormer editor.
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    The Last Jedi is BAD
    Rebel_yell wrote: »

Stop that. It's rubbish.

Is that a compliment?
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    The Last Jedi is BAD
    Mr_Sausage wrote: »

Not trying to not pick here but the question to the poll was simply “who liked the last Jedi”? Not who liked it in regards to other Star Wars movies. His last line stated that as an overall movie, it was mainly good and entertaining. The poll was not answered incorrectly.

Ya but no.

I actually agreed as an overall run of the mill movie, TLJ was entertaining.

As a star wars movie (which really is the context of the poll), it is not.

So what's your point again??
  • The Last Jedi is GOOD

Ya but no.

the title of the thread is literally "who liked the last jedi?" Not, "who liked the last jedi in the context of all star wars movies". TLJ can be viewed individually and in an expansive universe.

you're adding variables that weren't expressly outlined. his point is, stop trolling.
  • The Last Jedi is GOOD

Stop that. It's rubbish.

Is that a compliment?

You already know the answer.

otherwise, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    The Last Jedi is BAD

Ya but no.

the title of the thread is literally "who liked the last jedi?" Not, "who liked the last jedi in the context of all star wars movies". TLJ can be viewed individually and in an expansive universe.

you're adding variables that weren't expressly outlined. his point is, stop trolling.

I can't really troll my own post/thread.

My point in this poll is quite clear. I would suggest you stop trolling.
  • The Last Jedi is GOOD

If no one has seen Star Wars before they have a much better chance stating that it was a very good and entertaining movie (again, I am not saying there are not star wars fans who actually liked it), but as far as a star wars movie goes - it was bad in my opinion and obviously yours as well.
    Maybe I worded it poorly. I meant to say it is not one of the best star wars films made, its probably more towards the bottom, but still good overall.

Even episodes 1-3 were kinda dumpsters to a lot of fans, and I generally thought those were good and entertaining as well, even if in the entire star wars universe some of the 1-3 aren't great.
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    The Last Jedi is BAD

Maybe I worded it poorly. I meant to say it is not one of the best star wars films made, its probably more towards the bottom, but still good overall.

Even episodes 1-3 were kinda dumpsters to a lot of fans, and I generally thought those were good and entertaining as well, even if in the entire star wars universe some of the 1-3 aren't great.

Thanks for chiming back in - no I would 100% agree.

The PT were certainly not loved by all, not were the OT to be honest - but has anyone seen a star wars movie fracture the entire fanbase as much as TLJ.

With that in mind and in context with other star wars movies - do you still think TLJ is good??
  • The Last Jedi is GOOD
    Ya but no.

Yeah you're grasping for straws. No where did the question say was this a bad star wars movie y/n?

The question was 'who liked the last jedi'? I liked it. I like all star wars movies. Some are worse than others. But I still like them.
  • The Last Jedi is GOOD

Ya but no.

My point is that you said he answered the poll incorrectly.

Poll question: who liked the last Jedi? That’s the only context put forward by the poll. Zero talk of compared with other Star Wars movies.

Him: I thought it was mainly good and entertaining.
    You: you answered the poll incorrectly.

I didn’t realize opinions could be incorrect.

That’s the point.
  • DatBoi
    3615 posts Member

Stop that. It's rubbish.

Yes I am presuming younger people have no appreciation of the property.

For example a young person would consider an old colour box tv rubbish and from the dark adges yet I think it was awesome and a technological marvel, same with the first mobile phones.

Star wars is the same a young kid watches it now and thinks what is this where are the mega modern effects Im not watching this grandad junk.
    That is an extremely narrow and limited viewpoint.
    You completely underestimate younger people’s tastes in film and are assuming that people are incapable of appreciating anything that predates them. I’ve never met a single person who universally disliked everything that came out before they were born.
  • The Last Jedi is GOOD

Ya but no.

I can't really troll my own post/thread.

My point in this poll is quite clear. I would suggest you stop trolling.

You're entire post is a bait. Like everything else you post on here.

yes, you can troll people that respond to your own thread.

The poll is not quite clear (and thanks for finally using the correct poll). What if TLJ was the only star wars film someone ever saw? And that approval of the movie inclined them to download SWGOH? And then they were brought to the forums! Only to have their approval of the only Star Wars movie they've seen dismissed because they didn't know what you had implied because it wasn't explicitly stated?

Suggest away.
  • (This comment is in response to everyone who criticises the new films while singing laurels for the old ones.)

IMHO, and keep in mind i'm waaaay younger than most, i thought all star wars movies are bad, especially the OT. Not trying to stir up a controversy here. Just my thoughts. (If this comment derails the thread, i'll edit it out.)

I just feel like it lacks good storytelling, for one. The acting was...nevermind. And people say that the SW franchise stands for the political opinions that they make. I feel the political opinions are too black and white, instead of the convoluted stuff that actually happens irl.

But i've only watched the movies once. Thought they were too bad to watch them again.

Having consumed quite a lot of media, i value my opinions to a degree. But having said that, i might as well have some flaws in my thinking, which i do not recognize. Or maybe i just haven't consumed enough media? I doubt it.

Not saying i'm right though. Maybe i'm just not old enough? Or maybe the old people just have the nostalgia for the OT? IDK. Peace out! ;D

PS. The lore is great. Hands down, it's a great piece of art. It is so multi-layered, and is a totally enveloping experience. Have read the EU stuff and it's awesome imo. But yeah, i think the movies are bad.

Pss. I had a lot of other things to add. But it's very late here, so i'm off.
This discussion has been closed.