6x or 8x Speed Necessary

Prev1
With all the extra protection, bonus protection, healing, health regen, etc. prevalent in arena right now, can we get a 6x or 8x speed so that matches can be decided by something other than who's got the more obnoxious lead? Please?

There's really nothing more annoying than getting a Bastila team down to one toon left + Hoda but running out of time because Hoda's animations are slower than molasses. Pretty please?

Replies

• 3pourr2
    1927 posts Member
    A tie breaker would be nice
  • Gifafi
    6017 posts Member
    You think speeding up affects the battle? I don’t even know what to think. I co-sign speeding things up but not sure what you mean.
    Maybe End Game isn't for you
  • HK666
    1263 posts Member
    He means that some teams (Bastila teams at the moment) take longer than 5 minutes to beat, even at times 4 speed.

Seems like a valid request, because time-out teams as far I know aren't supposed to really to exist.
  • Gifafi
    6017 posts Member
    I still don't get how a timer that makes it faster would help. and now speeding it more up makes it last longer? I'm so confused.
  • I think the easier solution would be increase arena time limits
  • Monel
    2784 posts Member
    3pourr2 wrote: »

This! Whomever has the most characters left should be the default winner.
  • HK666 wrote: »
    He means that some teams (Bastila teams at the moment) take longer than 5 minutes to beat, even at times 4 speed.

Seems like a valid request, because time-out teams as far I know aren't supposed to really to exist.

Why not? Seems like a valid strategy.

Monel wrote: »
    3pourr2 wrote: »

This! Whomever has the most characters left should be the default winner.

So I can run an EP lead with IPD, kill 1 character in the opposing team in the first 30 seconds then do nothing for the remaining 4 minutes and 30 seconds? No thank you.
  • Speeding up the characters would make you wait less while the enemy takes multiple turns, giving you more of the timer to use on your attacks. Just try beating a bastilla team on x1 speed. I'm not even sure it can be done. You would lose a good minute or two on waiting to take your turn. Since the timer doesn't speed up at 4x speed it does buy you more time. The x6 speed is a better solution than increasing the timer since the latter coukd be used to lock people out from battling even more than they can already.
  • Jml727
    115 posts Member
    Gifafi wrote: »
    I still don't get how a timer that makes it faster would help. and now speeding it more up makes it last longer? I'm so confused.

Not timer speed up. Animation speed. 1, 2 and 4x speed never impacts timer but having an option for faster character gameplay sounds good to me!
  • Not needed, . . Adapt and improvise to the situation,

I mean seriously, . . What’s next? Skip all animations cuz they take to long to move is what I figure will be next . . .
  • HK666
    1263 posts Member
    Removing animations entirely is another valid option. TM bar hits 100, damage and buffs appear. Most time saving, harder to track. Having the option doesn't take away from any player at all (unless CG makes a team where you must turn animations off in order to beat in a reasonable time frame)

@jhbuchholz

if you ran EP lead, blew up IPD, and timed out, you'd both be at four turns. You do make a valid point of just fighting till you have a numbers advantage and then waiting

I don't think time-out teams are what the devs had in mind when they release sustaining toons. I could be wrong, but its hard to believe they think having us lose to a clock winding town, especially if victory is possible. Sounds unfun
  • Not a valid option, at that point you might as well stop,playing . The po8nt was to highlight how ridiculous these threads are.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member

Speeding up animations, while keeping the same 5 minutes duration, will make it possible to take more turns during the battle.
    Removing animations entirely is another valid option. TM bar hits 100, damage and buffs appear. Most time saving, harder to track. Having the option doesn't take away from any player at all (unless CG makes a team where you must turn animations off in order to beat in a reasonable time frame)

@jhbuchholz

if you ran EP lead, blew up IPD, and timed out, you'd both be at four turns. You do make a valid point of just fighting till you have a numbers advantage and then waiting

I don't think time-out teams are what the devs had in mind when they release sustaining toons. I could be wrong, but its hard to believe they think having us lose to a clock winding town, especially if victory is possible. Sounds unfun

Thanks for understanding the EP/IPD point despite the clumsy example ;)
  • Not needed, . . Adapt and improvise to the situation,

I mean seriously, . . What’s next? Skip all animations cuz they take to long to move is what I figure will be next . . .

Well thought out response with lots of justifications. Reasoning at its best. Fine work here. Thanks for clarifying.

Timeout teams were an issue in the past which is why they introduced a 4x animation speed. They're becoming an issue again with all of the health/prot. regen in the latest wave of toons. The animations are cool, but not at the expense of losing a match, in my opinion. A lot of us don't have 3.9M GP to "adapt and improvise" with.
  • Gifafi wrote: »

Speeding up the timer simply means you take more actions in that 5 minute timer period. You aren't getting less time your moving faster. So instead of maybe doing two attacks in 5 seconds you are doing 3 attacks in 5 seconds. More moves in 5 minutes = less chance of running out of time before defeating the other team.
  • I use Bastila and I try my best to avoid the other Bastila’s on my shard just because of how often they time out. I agree, somehow our battles need to go quicker.
  • I use Bastila and I try my best to avoid the other Bastila’s on my shard just because of how often they time out. I agree, somehow our battles need to go quicker.

Most Bastilla teams are comprised of some combination of three support/one tank or two support/two tanks with the fifth spot being the lone attacker (DPS). While it's great that GMY can deal out good damage as a support character I generally wouldn't expect this type of team composition to deal enough damage to win in 5 minutes. I don't think Bastilla mirror matches are a good reason to change anything about arena time or speed.
  • jhbuchholz wrote: »
    I use Bastila and I try my best to avoid the other Bastila’s on my shard just because of how often they time out. I agree, somehow our battles need to go quicker.

Most Bastilla teams are comprised of some combination of three support/one tank or two support/two tanks with the fifth spot being the lone attacker (DPS). While it's great that GMY can deal out good damage as a support character I generally wouldn't expect this type of team composition to deal enough damage to win in 5 minutes. I don't think Bastilla mirror matches are a good reason to change anything about arena time or speed.

Support vs. Attacker is pretty meaningless when GMY is pushing out 20k on his basic and Ezra is critting for half that. The post has more to do with the vast amounts of protection available to the team at the start of battle and the amount of time it takes to whittle that down. Slow character animations take up a large chunk of the in-fight action which would be better spent actually fighting.

I can't decide if increased animation speed would be good or bad with respect to payout timing. My sense is that it would be a good thing for snipers. As it stands now, I know it takes three minutes for a team to beat me, that means I can start my lock at the 7:45 mark and feel pretty safe as opposed to needing to wait another minute and leaving that window open longer, so it would fundamentally be better for competition which would drive crystal spend on arena.
    I use Bastila and I try my best to avoid the other Bastila’s on my shard just because of how often they time out. I agree, somehow our battles need to go quicker.

Support vs. Attacker is pretty meaningless when GMY is pushing out 20k on his basic and Ezra is critting for half that. The post has more to do with the vast amounts of protection available to the team at the start of battle and the amount of time it takes to whittle that down. Slow character animations take up a large chunk of the in-fight action which would be better spent actually fighting.

I can't decide if increased animation speed would be good or bad with respect to payout timing. My sense is that it would be a good thing for snipers. As it stands now, I know it takes three minutes for a team to beat me, that means I can start my lock at the 7:45 mark and feel pretty safe as opposed to needing to wait another minute and leaving that window open longer, so it would fundamentally be better for competition which would drive crystal spend on arena.

Ok. Let's run with this. If support vs. attacker is irrelevant because GMY pumps out so much damage why does this team time out? I can beat this team fairly quickly with a number of other teams. Why should either animations or time be changed because this mirror match times out?

In my opinion (if you haven't guess) the time (5 minutes) and animation speed choices (1x, 2x, and 4x) are fine. There are some teams that take longer to beat on defense or take a long time to win on offense. If you choose to fight or run one of those teams respectively then you'd better make sure you have enough DPS to win in the time allotted.
  • HK666
    1263 posts Member
    It's not always just mirror matches. My EP team has timed out against both Bastila and CLS teams. It doesn't happen often enough (to me) for me to believe it needs to be fixed, but it does happen

I think a team that you can't beat is fine, like that CW Chewie Vandor etc team, but I don't think CG intends to have players timing out in arena. If they do, and time outs become common, they'll won't make a change. If they don't want time out teams, then they'll make a change

The two main reasons they often time out are foresight and the undispellable protection up. Ezra with buffs hits for over 20k on each basic, and GMY hits for over 30k. I can even get GK and Bastila to hit for about 20k on basic while they have buffs. So damage is not a problem. The amount of damage each side needs to do is a problem, as is how often attacks get dodged from foresight. Sometimes there are so many buffs you don’t even know who has foresight and then your big attack get dodged. It really takes forever to chew through the massive amount of protection for each character.
    It's not always just mirror matches. My EP team has timed out against both Bastila and CLS teams. It doesn't happen often enough (to me) for me to believe it needs to be fixed, but it does happen

I think a team that you can't beat is fine, like that CW Chewie Vandor etc team, but I don't think CG intends to have players timing out in arena. If they do, and time outs become common, they'll won't make a change. If they don't want time out teams, then they'll make a change

I agree with this. I don't know if they intended it for arena or not but I think having a few very specific "time out teams" is probably healthy for the game. Specifically, they're great for TW.
    jhbuchholz wrote: »

Ok. Let's run with this. If support vs. attacker is irrelevant because GMY pumps out so much damage why does this team time out? I can beat this team fairly quickly with a number of other teams. Why should either animations or time be changed because this mirror match times out?

In my opinion (if you haven't guess) the time (5 minutes) and animation speed choices (1x, 2x, and 4x) are fine. There are some teams that take longer to beat on defense or take a long time to win on offense. If you choose to fight or run one of those teams respectively then you'd better make sure you have enough DPS to win in the time allotted.

Let's indeed run with this! It takes so long because they have so much extra protection to chew through and, as @DaPowerfulJedi astutely pointed out, foresight is everywhere. I would think this is self-explanatory, but perhaps not.

I'm not saying it's unfair. I'm not saying it's overpowered. I'm saying that an arbitrary number of actions (which is essentially what the time limit and animation speed boil down to) shouldn't dictate whether or not you can win a match. I didn't know squad arena was 'win in 100 moves or less', but apparently you're ok with it. That's cool, we can agree to disagree. They incorporated a 4x timer awhile back to accommodate the changing dynamic of the game. I think it's time to reexamine that and I see no real issue to NOT do it. It potentially changes the dynamic of sniping, but in a way that promotes competition.

For the record, I was running Titans when I timed out. I don't recall them having a particular lack of DPS.
    jhbuchholz wrote: »

Let's indeed run with this! It takes so long because they have so much extra protection to chew through and, as @DaPowerfulJedi astutely pointed out, foresight is everywhere. I would think this is self-explanatory, but perhaps not.

I'm not saying it's unfair. I'm not saying it's overpowered. I'm saying that an arbitrary number of actions (which is essentially what the time limit and animation speed boil down to) shouldn't dictate whether or not you can win a match. I didn't know squad arena was 'win in 100 moves or less', but apparently you're ok with it. That's cool, we can agree to disagree. They incorporated a 4x timer awhile back to accommodate the changing dynamic of the game. I think it's time to reexamine that and I see no real issue to NOT do it. It potentially changes the dynamic of sniping, but in a way that promotes competition.

For the record, I was running Titans when I timed out. I don't recall them having a particular lack of DPS.

It's not self-explanatory because some folks, myself included, run through Bastilla lead teams in under 3 minutes. This would seem to make it pretty self-explanatory as to why a team light on DPS (like Bastilla lead) would be a bad measuring stick. That's really all I'm saying in the support vs. attacker post.

I can't tell you why you timed out with a Titans team. Thrawn on almost any squad should let you walk through Bastilla teams.

Besides Bastilla are there other active timeout teams? Is this really a bigger issue now than when GK + zBarris was popular? Or when the dodge meta frustrated everyone?
  • VonZant
    3843 posts Member
    There is a solution for timeout teams in arena and his name is Nihilus. I think its probably working as intended.
  • @jhbuchholz What are you running?

• Gifafi
    6017 posts Member
    terascque wrote: »

Speeding up the timer simply means you take more actions in that 5 minute timer period. You aren't getting less time your moving faster. So instead of maybe doing two attacks in 5 seconds you are doing 3 attacks in 5 seconds. More moves in 5 minutes = less chance of running out of time before defeating the other team.

how exactly does faster = slower? I feel stupid but none of this makes sense
  • Gifafi wrote: »
    terascque wrote: »

how exactly does faster = slower? I feel **** but none of this makes sense

Instead of "speeding up the timer" it should read "speeding up the animation". The timer is the timer - it's five minutes. The question is how many turns can you take in those five minutes, which is based on the animation speed.