Arena PO fix

Prev1
TimmyHutch
185 posts Member
edited August 2018
If you want to skip ahead to my idea to fix the clock blocking instead of reading my gripe fest about how annoying clock blocking is, it's in the last paragraph.

I seriously hope the devs read this one because I'm sure I'm not the only person getting extremely tired of the log jam at the top of my shard at payout time. Every day, starting about 45 minutes prior to my arena payout time, and all the way up to payout time, its nearly impossible to find a team to fight because they are all clock blocking. If anybody is wondering what clock blocking is, its when you get to a certain rank in arena, and then stall as much as possible so nobody can bump you down in rank. All you have to do is enter the next fight and stay in it until time expires. It seems to be that everybody is involved in this process lately, and it is beyond aggravating. I have a team that can easily attain the number 1 ranking in arena, but it's almost impossible to get there because every single time I try, I get the message "this team is already in a fight", or whatever it says on that little message. You get my point. Anyway, I have an easy fix. The problem is that I assume this will never happen because then EA would have to give out more crystals than before. So it would cost them money.

Anyway, here is my idea to fix the issue:

Instead of having a passive/static payout, they switch it to an active/selective payout. Meaning, you can cash out once every 24 hours whenever you chose to do so. I assume EA will never do this because it would cost them money, but it's possible that they could even save money since people would miss active payouts sometimes. That is a true WIN/WIN for everybody! EA saves money by giving fewer crystals out, and the players are no longer bogged down from clock blockers!
Post edited by Kyno on

Replies

• It is WAI. You have to pay for refreshes.
  • Working as intended
  • Easiest way around it would be for them to change it so you got paid out on the highest rank you’d achieved in the past 24 hours.

It’s alright saying “pay for refreshes” but if you can’t get a fight because all the other teams are constantly clock blocked then 1000 refreshes won’t help.
  • CHFC22
    732 posts Member
    Just automatically make it a draw if no action taken by either team for 1 minute.
  • LynnYoda
    1017 posts Member
    easiest way around it is find your shard chat and join, they will never change the payout system as it makes them cash due to crystal refreshes
  • LynnYoda wrote: »
    easiest way around it is find your shard chat and join, they will never change the payout system as it makes them cash due to crystal refreshes

So what if everyone wants to join?
  • J0HND03
    143 posts Member
    edited August 2018
    CHFC22 wrote: »
    LynnYoda wrote: »

na, there are enough people here in the forums which say they don't want to join, so that's not a problem.
  • CHFC22 wrote: »
    Just automatically make it a draw if no action taken by either team for 1 minute.

really bad idea, if I get distracted for a minute because I'm in a conversation or something then I automatically lose. I'm usually multi-tasking, so this would result in me losing a lot of battles that I currently win.
  • CHFC22 wrote: »

not gonna happen only the top maybe 25 would have this issue possibly to the top 50, anything below that you have plenty of options on who to battle, it becomes an issue when you can only jump 4 or 5 spaces each time.
    shard chats are there for a reason and that reason is so you dont have to sit and clock block or watse 2 hours on your phone waiting to see if your going to be sniped, most in the top 50 are in the chat and use a rotation system so you can get into your position at least an hour before your payout if not more and then just forget about the arena and go do whatever else your meant to be doing at that time.
    find your shard chat it makes life much easier and you will gain crystals instead of wasting them on refreshes + extra battles
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    TimmyHutch wrote: »
    Anyway, here is my idea to fix the issue:

Instead of having a passive/static payout, they switch it to an active/selective payout. Meaning, you can cash out once every 24 hours whenever you chose to do so. I assume EA will never do this because it would cost them money, but it's possible that they could even save money since people would miss active payouts sometimes. That is a true WIN/WIN for everybody! EA saves money by giving fewer crystals out, and the players are no longer bogged down from clock blockers!

If this is implemented, they would probably reduce the rewards significantlyin order to not flood the market with crystals and what not. Your assume, that fewer crystals would be rewarded even without adjusting the rewards. I don't believe that.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    exarkun79 wrote: »
    Easiest way around it would be for them to change it so you got paid out on the highest rank you’d achieved in the past 24 hours.

That would also flood the market with crystals. Hence CG would have to greatly reduce the rewards to counter that.

No thanx.

CHFC22 wrote: »

not gonna happen only the top maybe 25 would have this issue possibly to the top 50, anything below that you have plenty of options on who to battle, it becomes an issue when you can only jump 4 or 5 spaces each time.
    shard chats are there for a reason and that reason is so you dont have to sit and clock block or watse 2 hours on your phone waiting to see if your going to be sniped, most in the top 50 are in the chat and use a rotation system so you can get into your position at least an hour before your payout if not more and then just forget about the arena and go do whatever else your meant to be doing at that time.
    find your shard chat it makes life much easier and you will gain crystals instead of wasting them on refreshes + extra battles

I hate the concept of a shard chat. I was being flippant - I know they rely on being a closed club. Each to their own and all that but not for me.
  • Gifafi
    6017 posts Member
    cork soakers>clock blockers
    Maybe End Game isn't for you
  • exarkun79 wrote: »
    Easiest way around it would be for them to change it so you got paid out on the highest rank you’d achieved in the past 24 hours.

It’s alright saying “pay for refreshes” but if you can’t get a fight because all the other teams are constantly clock blocked then 1000 refreshes won’t help.

Very good suggestion!

I did. With 25 people in EU payout this is not helping.
  • rewards based on your highest rank and cashing out manually once per day are both good. i've suggested both myself and am in favor of either one. it would be great for the players, but as with most others who make such suggestions, i'm not holding my breath. if there's a "happy medium" between taking one of those paths and the mess we have now, i hope we can find it.
  • Trajector
    32 posts Member
    edited October 2018
    Current system makes it harder to enjoy the game, as the players wishing to do well are forced to be in game for about 2 hours prior to their payout, so the game defeats its very purpose of existence to provide fun and relaxation. A much better system would (for both squad and fleet arena):
    1. Reward players for the highest rank they obtained within the 24 hours since their last activities reset.
    2. Makes player immune to be challenged after a victory until the 10 minute arena cooldown timer expires.
    3. Prevent players from fighting ranks below when they are in ranks 2 or 3.
    4. Immediately remove all remaining daily attempts once rank 1 reached to give more of an opportunity to others to reach rank 1.
    5. Players reaching ranks 1, 2 or 3 are awarded (no more than 3 per day) arena victories equal to the jump length (e.g. jumping from 3 to 1 would award 2 victories) for the sake of "Arena Fight" achievement.
    Post edited by Trajector on
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Trajector wrote: »
    Current system makes it harder to enjoy the game, as the players wishing to do well are forced to be in game for about 2 hours prior to their payout, so the game defeats its very purpose of existence to provide fun and relaxation. A much better system would (for both squad and fleet arena):
    1. Reward players for the highest rank they obtained within the 24 hours since their last activities reset.
    2. Makes player immune to be challenged after a victory until the 10 minute arena cooldown timer expires.
    4. Immediately remove all remaining daily attempts once rank 1 reached to give more of an opportunity to others to reach rank 1.
    5. Players reaching ranks 1, 2 or 3 are awarded (no more than 3 per day) arena victories equal to the jump length (e.g. jumping from 3 to 1 would award 2 victories) for the sake of "Arena Fight" achievement.

1. This will not happen, they stated as such in the QA. It also remove competition and increases the PO of crystals, so they wont do that.
    2. That is a little crazy, so I can get into position 10 mins out from PO start a battle and I am now locked in. That actually doesn't change anything it just makes it more likely to not be able to battle.
    3. Why? In an aggressive arena I need to be able to lock in so I dont get sniped.
    4. No. Just no. Why should they take anything away from the player, especially something he could have payed for. Also, just because you reach 1 doesnt mean you should fall to 30 because you cant battle. I have burned a refresh some nights to just battle, or to move up so I dont fall to far over night. No reason to stop that.
    5. I guess this is tied to 4 and is just not necessary either. IMHO.
  • One doesn't have to like the current system to think that your proposed idea is terrible.
    https://swgoh.gg/u/ionastarbound/
    Discord: Iona Starbound#5299
  • TimmyHutch wrote: »
    Kyno wrote: »

1. This will not happen, they stated as such in the QA. It also remove competition and increases the PO of crystals, so they wont do that.
    2. That is a little crazy, so I can get into position 10 mins out from PO start a battle and I am now locked in. That actually doesn't change anything it just makes it more likely to not be able to battle.
    3. Why? In an aggressive arena I need to be able to lock in so I dont get sniped.
    4. No. Just no. Why should they take anything away from the player, especially something he could have payed for. Also, just because you reach 1 doesnt mean you should fall to 30 because you cant battle. I have burned a refresh some nights to just battle, or to move up so I dont fall to far over night. No reason to stop that.

You are one of the very few people who actually like the current system. Its garbage and you know it. The only reason you like it is because you're either A. In the shard cartel who all protect each other around payout time by locking everybody else out, or B. Someone who enjoys aggravating other people.

I don't like the current system and I agree with most of the points Kyno made. I don't think you can patch the current system and "fix" it. It'll just be broken in a different way. It needs to be overhauled if it's to be better.

Without that overhaul I'm in favor of keeping the system I'm familiar with over having to learn new flaws in an equally inadequate system.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator

You are one of the very few people who actually like the current system. Its garbage and you know it. The only reason you like it is because you're either A. In the shard cartel who all protect each other around payout time by locking everybody else out, or B. Someone who enjoys aggravating other people.

When did I day I liked it?

Your proposed fixes punish players, that is not good.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    jhbuchholz wrote: »

I don't like the current system and I agree with most of the points Kyno made. I don't think you can patch the current system and "fix" it. It'll just be broken in a different way. It needs to be overhauled if it's to be better.

Without that overhaul I'm in favor of keeping the system I'm familiar with over having to learn new flaws in an equally inadequate system.

This. We cant fix the current system, we need a new one.

The system as a whole needs to be changed to effectively make change, that means a lot more then just fixing what you see as a problem and also considering how the dev team looks at it. There are many factors involved.
  • Allright people, then why don't we push for the same system that both "Idle Heroes" and "Warhammer Freeblade" use? There is no locking possible, and when you win - you don't swap ranks with your target, instead you just get some points, proportionate to the distance between you and your target. I still think it would be better to reward based on the highest rank achieved in the 24 hours prior to reward, to prevent players from having to dedicate 1-2 hours a day at a fixed time every day - which I hope most would agree is hugely inflexible.